Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
The only reason websites are made to cross-platform standards is because they need to be compatible with Safari for iPhone. If this succeeds, Chrome and all its many holes and flaws will be the only option we have.

You really think WebKit is so bad that basically the only reason it is used on iOS is because users are forced to?

Perhaps regulations like this will push Apple to try to make WebKit and/or Safari more desirable not only for users but developers. Making Safari/WebKit available on Android, Windows, etc. would help increase usage too. Restricting browser engine choice on a major mobile OS is not the answer.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
That assumes an open market. A substantial portion of the internet is already Blink-only, even with a major lucrative mobile platform not shipping Blink engine. That isn't a features problem in many cases, it is simply not testing or relying on the (many) Chrome features which are not web standards but rather proprietary extensions.

Consumers would not be choosing the browser they want. They'd be forced into the browser that major content providers chose for them.
Well isn’t the market open? Apple left the windows market and never made a safari version for android, so it’s apples issue to convince developers to support WebKit over blink.

Consumer on iOS can’t chose anything else but WebKit, so if consumers chooses blink then that’s Apple who failed to market the product

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
So you're ok with only having Chrome then.
At this rate sadly yes. Different is Chrome is a better browser and still improving. Apple is lagging on doing Safari updates because it does not have to compete. That means they might lag on doing secuirty updates or other improvements because they do not have to complete.

This is more it would force Apple to improve Safari and put real resources behind it.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
If by proper protection, you mean reducing the scope of choice by undermining the minority platforms...

The only reason websites are made to cross-platform standards is because they need to be compatible with Safari for iPhone. If this succeeds, Chrome and all its many holes and flaws will be the only option we have.

View attachment 2319302
The change of browser engine affects roughly 13% of iOS users who aren't using Apple's default Safari browser. Unless companies are okay with failing to support 87% of users on iOS, that's not enough users on third-party browsers to support this argument.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Oh ye of little faith. You thought us in the world of FOSS didn't have an insurance policy for something like that? We got loads of compatibility modes to get past Chrome exclusive websites, some of which are present in the macOS web browser Orion.

Firefox: 3% share. Orion gets bundled into "other" which combined has less than Firefox.

You're kind of making my point for me.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
You really think WebKit is so bad that basically the only reason it is used on iOS is because users are forced to?

Perhaps regulations like this will push Apple to try to make WebKit and/or Safari more desirable not only for users but developers. Making Safari/WebKit available on Android, Windows, etc. would help increase usage too.

The change of browser engine affects roughly 13% of iOS users who aren't using Apple's default Safari browser. Unless companies are okay with failing to support 87% of users on iOS, that's not enough users on third-party browsers to support this argument.

You are both missing the point here by a wide margin. Users can't install actual Chrome on iOS, so websites must support what iOS allows or lose those users.

Post regulation, those sites will simply say "for best experience, use Chrome" and abandon the 20% browser. Easier for them to develop and maintain, and once a few of the bigger sites force people to have Chrome installed anyway users are just going to throw up their hands and comply.

And @webkit, let's be clear what you mean by "make Safari more desirable for developers": it means reduce or eliminate the security and privacy protections Safari provides so sites can profit more off their visitors.

Restricting browser engine choice on a major mobile OS is not the answer.

I agree. This regulation restricts what browsers I'll be able to use in the future to Chrome versus the choice I have now which is Chrome or Safari and a smattering of also rans.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
You are both missing the point here by a wide margin. Users can't install actual Chrome on iOS, so websites must support what iOS allows or lose those users.

Post regulation, those sites will simply say "for best experience, use Chrome" and abandon the 20% browser. Easier for them to develop and maintain, and once a few of the bigger sites force people to have Chrome installed anyway users are just going to throw up their hands and comply.
It could happen for a small number of sites, but is more than likely not the big issue you're making it out to be. For instance, despite Firefox's small market share, browsing the web using Firefox is still quite possible. That's because all browsers use roughly the same set of web standards which eases the burden of supporting a minority browser immensely.

I wish the same was true for native apps, but right now making native apps for both iOS and Android is a huge pain unless you have many thousands to throw at dedicated teams for each. It also binds people to either iOS or Android and makes it impossible for any minority OS to flourish on smartphones, unlike on desktop where developers are incentivized to make decent web apps to the benefit of users on Linux. This is why we need to have the option of mobile web apps and capable browser choices for them.

Last edited:

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
It could happen for a small number of sites, but is more than likely not the big issue you're making it out to be. For instance, despite Firefox's small market share, browsing the web using Firefox is still quite possible. That's because all browsers use roughly the same set of web standards which eases the burden of supporting a minority browser immensely.

Embrace. Extend. Extinguish.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
I’m so tired of European authorities trying to protect their consumers and foster competition. Why can’t they be more like their American counterparts?
Hmm, pot calling the kettle black? Two examples:

FDA has really strict control over standards of pharmaceuticals sold in US. FDA even has site visits on European companies on European ground and their visits and standards are dreaded but European companies must comply with US rules. Safety for US citizens or harassment of non American companies?

I believe VW was heavily fined by the US for the diesel scandal or was that just a way to protect US car industry?

We all have different rules and entering a market in any country you need to follow it. The IT giants (and Musk) are juvenile to think they are above the law and local customs and they should learn by their mistakes and don’t repeat them.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022

You know how many websites in the past 15 years I couldn't access due to being Chrome exclusive? One. Just one website. That's it, and said website was made by the Pokemon Company to distribute the Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Soundtrack for free limited use that didn't work right.

You're making a big deal out of nothing. If Chrome actually did become a problem where they were the only option for a web browser they'd be labeled as a gatekeeper by the EU under the Digital Markets Act/Digital Services Act.

Last edited:

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States

And @webkit, let's be clear what you mean by "make Safari more desirable for developers": it means reduce or eliminate the security and privacy protections Safari provides so sites can profit more off their visitors.

I agree. This regulation restricts what browsers I'll be able to use in the future to Chrome versus the choice I have now which is Chrome or Safari and a smattering of also rans.

I understand the point you are trying to make. I simply disagree that allowing alternative browser engines on iOS is going to essentially mean the end of WebKit usage.

Again, if Safari/WebKit is that undesirable to users, Apple needs to try to make it better and these regulations may give them the push they need. Making Safari/WebKit available on Android, Windows, etc. would help increase usages too. I think Apple gave up too quickly/easily on Safari for Windows back in 2010.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
You know how many websites in the past 15 years I couldn't access due to being Chrome exclusive? One. Just one website.

Because anyone who wants an iPhone based customer can't be Chrome exclusive.

You're making a big deal out of nothing.

No, the people making a big deal out of nothing are the people trying to undermine the minority and standards compliant browser.

If Chrome actually did become a problem where they were the only option for a web browser they'd be labeled as a gatekeeper by the EU under the Digital Markets Act/Digital Services Act.

And then what? They're a gate keeper-- how does that encourage anyone to support an alternative? If being a gatekeeper meant nobody could write Chrome exclusive sites, then that would have an impact, but that's not what it means. The sites aren't gatekeepers, so there is no regulation on them.

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
You know how many websites in the past 15 years I couldn't access due to being Chrome exclusive? One. Just one website. That's it, and said website was made by the Pokemon Company to distribute the Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Soundtrack for free limited use.

You're making a big deal out of nothing. If Chrome actually did become a problem where they were the only option for a web browser they'd be labeled as a gatekeeper by the EU under the Digital Markets Act/Digital Services Act.
That’s still one too many sites, but what’ll really most likely happen is that most sites will work normally or mostly normally, but when a problem does come up, you’ll contact the webmaster or QA, and they’ll tell ya, “I don’t know what to tell you, it works fine for me on Chrome”. Implying that they’ll only support Chrome.

(Though I wouldn’t put it past Google to push some new web API into Chrome, one that only makes sense in Chrome, and degrade their services to browsers that don’t implement the API. That way, they can say “oh, we don’t actually require Chrome or Chromium” while virtually requiring a Chromium browser.)

Reactions: Analog Kid

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I made an edit to the post you quoted, hopefully that explains where I'm coming from a bit better. More capable browser choices = more web apps = a good thing from my perspective. What I hate more than a website telling me I have to use Chrome is a website telling me I have to download a native app (or simply not existing because it can’t afford to make one), and that’s where we’re at now.

Last edited:
Reactions: gusmula

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
This statement tells me you do not:

Again, I do understand the point you are trying to make but disagree. I do not believe that allowing alternative browser engines on iOS is going to essentially mean the end of WebKit usage. I do not believe that allowing alternative browser engines on iOS will mean sites will simply say, "for best experience, use Chrome" and abandon other browsers.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I made an edit to the post you quoted, hopefully that explains where I'm coming from a bit better. More capable browser choices = more web apps = a good thing from my perspective. What I hate more than a website telling me I have to use Chrome is a website telling me I have to download a native app, and that’s where we’re at now.
Chrome is the single biggest offender is incompatible web apps. The Google Suite apps really only work on Chrome.

So if you want more capable browser choices, don't kill the only one that seems to be forcing some level of standards compliance.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Again, I do understand the point you are trying to make but disagree. I do not believe that allowing alternative browser engines on iOS is going to essentially mean the end of WebKit usage. I do not believe that allowing alternative browser engines on iOS will mean sites will simply say, "for best experience, use Chrome" and abandon other browsers.
Look at the chart I shared of web browser market share. Tell me why Safari is the only viable alternative to Chrome where Microsoft, Samsung and the FOSS army can't make a dent.

Unless you're defining the end as a literal 0%, then the numbers suggest you're very, very wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.