Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zonck

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2020
I’ve seen other threads with people saying they’ve lost 1% during the entire set up. That’s not been my experience.

Reactions: currocj

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If you are concerned, do the setup again shortly after restore and see how it goes. Or just contact apple for. Replacement.

Zonck

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2020
If you are concerned, do the setup again shortly after restore and see how it goes. Or just contact apple for. Replacement.
It’s a clean install of my phone and watch. All set up as new, surely the phone should handle all the indexing? My phone is on 96% after a clean install, set up as new, reinstalling apps etc.

I’m hoping it’s not an exchange job as I know switching the esim in the Watch will be such a pain.

NicoTRZ

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2020
Charged mine at 100% yesterday evening (10 pm local time), used it for sleep tracking. Now it’s 11 am, it’s 86%. Not sure if it’s great or not…

i was planing to charge it every two days so for me to keep his promise, it needs to stay alive until tomorrow 10 pm. I’m not sure it will make it

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Keep in mind the type of watch face you are using can also drain the battery. If you have the live compass on your watch face as a complication it is going to drain the battery faster as it’s going to be constantly working in the background based on your location. Just something to keep in mind.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Just use the watch as you'd normally use it for a week and see how you get on. Don't overthink it and keep looking at the battery, trying to work out how much its going down by every hour, how that compares to other people on the internet etc. That way madness lies.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2022
Lost 7% battery in an hour. This isn’t looking good and won’t even last 15 hours at this rate. Any similar experiences or am I returning this tomorrow?

‘My Ultra came with 86% out of the box today. After syncing, updating to new OS and playing for hours, it went on the charger with 80%. I think it did well. Won’t know till later today. Came of the charger at 3:30 this am, we will see.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
Just use the watch as you'd normally use it for a week and see how you get on. Don't overthink it and keep looking at the battery, trying to work out how much its going down by every hour, how that compares to other people on the internet etc. That way madness lies.
Yeah, this is the same as “Well my brand new XYZ car from ABC Company gets 25 mpg and my neighbor’s sister’s boyfriend’s cousin get 27 in theirs. Something must be wrong with mine.”

How you use it will impact battery life and 1 day isn’t a big enough sample size to say the 24 hours of battery life you got (probably playing with the watch all day and continually checking it, like we all did) means there is a problem with the watch. Maybe there is, maybe there isn’t, but that’s tough to say after 1 day.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
give it time

my series 7 was normally on 15% by 18:30 on a working day where it goes on my wrist at 5am.

After nearly 6 hours of usage i have 89% left.

• Wow
Reactions: addamas

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Yeah, this is the same as “Well my brand new XYZ car from ABC Company gets 25 mpg and my neighbor’s sister’s boyfriend’s cousin get 27 in theirs. Something must be wrong with mine.”

How you use it will impact battery life and 1 day isn’t a big enough sample size to say the 24 hours of battery life you got (probably playing with the watch all day and continually checking it, like we all did) means there is a problem with the watch. Maybe there is, maybe there isn’t, but that’s tough to say after 1 day.
Its the same whenever Apple launches any product. As well as indexing/setup drain, there might be day one bugs etc, so best bet is usually to just chill out, use it for a week or so and see how things are panning out. Look online to see if its a common experience or not and then call Apple if you're concerned. But its a slippery slope to be fixated on battery percentages on anything from day one. Just enjoy using whatever you've bought.

If you've got a faulty device, it should become very clear during that week. But remember, you've got your 14 day no quibble return from Apple and a year's warranty if there's a fault which is less obvious and/or develops over time.

Reactions: ckurt25

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2022
So far I am losing about 1% and hour but then I have not used my watch that much. Will see how much I lose with a 1 hour hike with GPS running.

zdub

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2017
My battery life so far has been abysmal. I came from a series 4 that I’d start the day with at around 8am and finish around 10pm at ~60% if I didn’t workout and around ~45% if I had an hour workout. Yesterday my ultra got here at 90% out of the box. Just the normal setup drained it 14%. By 10pm I was at 35%. No workouts, and I didn’t even spend tons of time on it as it was a super busy work day. I charged the watch to 100% last night and slept with it on. Was 100% at 11pm. Woke up at 5am, AOD off during this time, was down to 91%. It’s now 8am, all I’ve done is driven two hours and my watch is at 84%. This is super troubling, AOD is off, and I haven’t done a thing besides check the time today.

Reactions: WildstarBR2020

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
I've had a good experience so far. I charged it fully Friday evening just before bed, woke up at around 93%. My Series 4 was usually using 12-15% during the night tracking.
Then went for a one hour workout early PM (just regular gym stuff), it is now close to 4 PM where I live and I'm at 77%. At this rate I'll only have to charge it again tomorrow afternoon, tomorrow evening. And as other pointed out I except things to get a bit better when several days will have passed after the initial setup.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

dstyp

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2015
Stockholm, Sweden
Early report so no good data but I set mine up Friday 23 (yesterday as of this writing) and it came with almost 90% ootb. Once setup (think it was down 10% to 80% or so after setup) I charged it to 100% and put it on. This was at 17:06 according battery settings.

It's been almost 23h as of writing this and I'm at 60%.

Of course, been using it more since it's a new device so there's that. Other usage points - went for a 1h walk logged as workout yesterday eve and I also use Autosleep so always sleep with it. I use always on display in the lowest brightness setting (there's only 3). Sufficient for Scandinavia right now and will be for 8 more months, hehe. When in dim mode I've disabled the compass complication on the Wayfinder face so hopefully it uses that sensor a bit less.

In sum, looking great so far and miles ahead of any other AW I've had (came from S6 and had S4 earlier).

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
At around 11 PM last night I was at 77%. Almost noon the next day and I’m at 63%. Worn overnight, using AutoSleep. I’ve been up since 7 and out of the house since 8:45. Seems great so far.

Reactions: earthdog

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Charged it overnight, on my S7 this time of day after workout I was at around 81%, ultra right now says 95%… looking promising but real data will come after a couple weeks of usage

Reactions: ckurt25

MG999

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Charged to 100% at 2:15pm yesterday. No cellular.

75 min workout last night and 60min workout this am both paired with Polar OH1 HR monitor.

Watch was used for sleep last night as well.

2km outdoor walk with GPS and 2km run with GPS this afternoon.

Been up with 7:40am today.

Currently 2:23pm and Im at 62%

Last edited:

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
So far so good. Note, I don’t have cellular activated on mine.

7D34DF7E-5460-4F85-90D3-2D23FF4B1992.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.