Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I believe it's not much more than 50% iPhone in the US. It does dominate, but it's probably only about 50% in my personal network, maybe less as well. Don't use facetime, don't need to. Ipad has it- never turned it on

I think if I got an iPhone it would be to get an apple watch. But I actually don't want any more connectivity than I have. I feel harassed enough trying to get through my day 😜

After a quick google search - in the US, 54 percent iOS, 45 percent Android.

Reactions: xantufrog

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Yes, iPhone dominates the US, but Android is pretty much everywhere else in the world. Though Canada is almost split, 51 vs 49 iOS.
After a quick google search - in the US, 54 percent iOS, 45 percent Android.

The top 10 phones shipped worldwide in the first half of 2023 are:
  1. Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max: 26.5 million
  2. Apple iPhone Pro: 21 million
  3. Apple iPhone 14: 16.5 million
  4. Apple iPhone 13: 15.5 million
  5. Samsung Galaxy A14: 12.4 million
  6. Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra: 9.6 million
  7. Samsung Galaxy A14 5G: 9 million
  8. Samsung Galaxy A54 5G:8.8 million
  9. Samsung Galaxy A34 5G: 7.1 million
  10. Apple iPhone 11: 6.9 million
Apple's first 3 beat all of Samsung on the list.

xantufrog

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2023
The top 10 phones shipped worldwide in the first half of 2023 are:
  1. Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max: 26.5 million
  2. Apple iPhone Pro: 21 million
  3. Apple iPhone 14: 16.5 million
  4. Apple iPhone 13: 15.5 million
  5. Samsung Galaxy A14: 12.4 million
  6. Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra: 9.6 million
  7. Samsung Galaxy A14 5G: 9 million
  8. Samsung Galaxy A54 5G:8.8 million
  9. Samsung Galaxy A34 5G: 7.1 million
  10. Apple iPhone 11: 6.9 million
Apple's first 3 beat all of Samsung on the list.
Those are just Samsung phones… you realize there are more (many) other Android phones in the world

xantufrog

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2023
Yes, big debate. Android has a 70 percent marketshare worldwide.
I think his point is that iPhone is the top selling in a one-to-one matchup with any other given brand.

but I don’t see how that is relevant - unless you own Apple stock (which I’m sure many here do). We weren’t talking Brand Wars.

My point at least was whether someone with Android is somehow at a disadvantage because they are in a vast minority and everyone else is FaceTiming and has different color bubbles in their message app. Which the answer is “no” - half my circle is on Android and the iphone side of my circle can still message me just fine. We’re all doing just fine staying connected, no need for me to ditch my Galaxy

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
No point in turning an iPad thread into a phone battle...
worldwide iPhone is by far the best selling phone, but there are more Android phones than iPhones (Android as a whole has a larger market share) and the reason is simple, they are overall cheaper and in many countries not so rich like the US (e.g. emerging market ones) they overall sell more...

Reactions: xantufrog

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
No point in turning an iPad thread into a phone battle...
worldwide iPhone is by far the best selling phone, but there are more Android phones than iPhones [...]
The iPhone is the best selling phone in the US, where it has a split market.
However, in the rest of the world, and especially so in development countries, Android phones are much more popular, the main reason being cost, obviously; in development countries, an iPhone can cost up to a few months of a monthly wage.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
The iPhone is the best selling phone in the US, where it has a split market.
However, in the rest of the world, and especially so in development countries, Android phones are much more popular, the main reason being cost, obviously; in development countries, an iPhone can cost up to a few months of a monthly wage.
My post above is worldwide cell phone shipments, and iPhone dominates the world market significantly. The article I linked has receipts. Where's yours?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Thinking it's a very fair comparison. Only Samsung makes Samsung devices, and not even they can hold a candle to Apple's iPhone.;)

Apple makes 100 percent of iOS devices. Samsung is only one manufacturer, out of many. People have many choices in Android. iOS has one choice - Apple.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Apple makes 100 percent of iOS devices. Samsung is only one manufacturer, out of many. People have many choices in Android. iOS has one choice - Apple.
Exactly! Same logic holds for other manufacturers. Samsung makes 100% of Samsung devices, LG makes 100% of LG devices, SONY makes 100% of SONY devices, etc. iPhone is still the most used/sold phone in the world. And, you saying iOS only has one choice against all other manufacturers makes my point. Thanks!;)

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
My post above is worldwide cell phone shipments, and iPhone dominates the world market significantly. The article I linked has receipts. Where's yours?
You generally make great points about iPad and iPadOS but here I really don't understand what point you are trying to make... You are saying that iPhone is the best selling phone and people here are saying that that's true, but also that all Android phones combined sell more than iPhones (roughly 70% to 30%), because they are cheaper... Are you implying that that's not the case?
Some sources:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Exactly! Same logic holds for other manufacturers. Samsung makes 100% of Samsung devices, LG makes 100% of LG devices, SONY makes 100% of SONY devices, etc. iPhone is still the most used/sold phone in the world. And, you saying iOS only has one choice against all other manufacturers makes my point. Thanks!;)

Samsung is one of many Android manufacturers. Only Apple's iPhones run iOS. If Samsung was the only Android maker, they would dwarf iPhones, considering the 70/30 dominance of Android worldwide.

Stop being obtuse.

JamieLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2016
Now with ios17 and stagemanager and my new M2 iPad pro's, I'm finally ditching that laptop. Sure my iPad Pro does 95% of the tasks *I* need on a daily basis, I still have laptops and desktop for the other 5% of the heavy lifting the iPad Pro can't do or does with much effort. I've come to the conclusion apple is right about not having a touch screen Mac. It really is terrible. I only wish for a macOS finder on the iPad. I wish for better audio support - being able to have multiple audio streams to different sources (this applies on the macOS as well - not having to use rogue's loopback software) - and having some kind of code editor/compiler I can run on the iPad would be nice. Otherwise I find myself using my iPad Pro 100% of the time more than I do my desktop/laptops combined. I leave home with my iPad rather than my laptop. Due to the built in encoders, I do not have a problem with editing simple videos. There are of course professional use cases everyone is different and that's why there are better devices to use. The most consistent complaint about the iPads is the price and most don't want to fork over for two Mac devices. Apple will never, ever turn the iPad into a MacBook. The products are there to make them more money. All in one devices do nothing well either.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Now with ios17 and stagemanager and my new M2 iPad pro's, I'm finally ditching that laptop. Sure my iPad Pro does 95% of the tasks *I* need on a daily basis, I still have laptops and desktop for the other 5% of the heavy lifting the iPad Pro can't do or does with much effort. I've come to the conclusion apple is right about not having a touch screen Mac. It really is terrible. I only wish for a macOS finder on the iPad. I wish for better audio support - being able to have multiple audio streams to different sources (this applies on the macOS as well - not having to use rogue's loopback software) - and having some kind of code editor/compiler I can run on the iPad would be nice. Otherwise I find myself using my iPad Pro 100% of the time more than I do my desktop/laptops combined. I leave home with my iPad rather than my laptop. Due to the built in encoders, I do not have a problem with editing simple videos. There are of course professional use cases everyone is different and that's why there are better devices to use. The most consistent complaint about the iPads is the price and most don't want to fork over for two Mac devices. Apple will never, ever turn the iPad into a MacBook. The products are there to make them more money. All in one devices do nothing well either.

People misunderstand touch screens. They are not, nor were ever meant, to be a primary input method for a desktop. They are supplemental. Sometimes, there are times you just want to reach out and grab something on the screen, where a mouse isn't as good.

So there really is no excuse not to put a touchscreen on a Mac. If you don't like it, you don't have to use it. Or, when you buy your Mac, choose no touchscreen.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
People misunderstand touch screens. They are not, nor were ever meant, to be a primary input method for a desktop. They are supplemental. Sometimes, there are times you just want to reach out and grab something on the screen, where a mouse isn't as good.

So there really is no excuse not to put a touchscreen on a Mac. If you don't like it, you don't have to use it. Or, when you buy your Mac, choose no touchscreen.
a touch screen is made for positions or situations where using keyboard and touchpad is not possible or at least complicated. Typical example is while standing. There are other situation where it makes sense while sitting, like when drawing or when someone whats a more immersive experience. Of course it makes much more sense in convertible / 2-in-1 devices, but it can be nice even in traditional laptops. I have touch in almost all my Windows laptops except my thinkpad (and of course Macs), and I do reach for the screen on the thinkpad when carrying it while standing or when it's on the desk an I try to start something (music etc) while standing. It's more more a bonus than a primary use, but a very appreciated one.

Reactions: Rafterman

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Seems that regular consumers (non-Macrumors people) agree with what I said, the iPad is the worst device by far in Apple their entire line up. This is based on 18k votes.

Luckily, the EU might fix this problem of Apple as the EU might try to force Apple to open up iOS and therefore also maybe iPadOS, removing all the restrictions and limitations put in place by Apple.

View attachment 2290942
Apple can't be compelled to make MacOS available on iPads.

Apple cant be compelled to create a dual boot environment.

Apple cant be compelled to allow system modifications.

All the EU can do is mandate the availability of alternate App Stores, but if it's shown that this "opening up" allows the unauthorized distribution of MacOS, then Apple will have all the evidence they need to "close it" again.

PS. You think people who took part in a poll on a tech bloggers channel are "regular consumers"? LOL

Last edited:

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Seems that regular consumers (non-Macrumors people) agree with what I said, the iPad is the worst device by far in Apple their entire line up. This is based on 18k votes.

Luckily, the EU might fix this problem of Apple as the EU might try to force Apple to open up iOS and therefore also maybe iPadOS, removing all the restrictions and limitations put in place by Apple.

View attachment 2290942
LOL! One questionable survey does not prove anything. Apple sells millions of iPads every year. And every where I go, in town, out of state and out of country I see all around me people happily using their iPads for all manner of tasks.

But hey, if believing iPads are “the worst” devices makes you feel good, then go right ahead and indulge yourself.

“The great thing about mental masturbation is that one need not spend money on lotion.” — Granville Butterworth

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Calling them the worst device ever is just false. Now, if you want to argue "disappointing," due to the fact that the software is hampering the full capabilities of the hardware, then I will listen to that argument.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Calling them the worst device ever is just false. Now, if you want to argue "disappointing," due to the fact that the software is hampering the full capabilities of the hardware, then I will listen to that argument.
It was considered the weakest in a field of very good products, which is far cry from "the iPad sucks derp". The MacBook Air is pretty great but it would be probably be picked as the weakest Mac laptop.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
It was considered the weakest in a field of very good products, which is far cry from "the iPad sucks derp". The MacBook Air is pretty great but it would be probably be picked as the weakest Mac laptop.

What you mean picked up as the "weakest"? The M2 MacBook Air is the most popular Apple computer. It will be picked as 1st.

Now where it goes wrong for the iPad Pro.
- More expensive than a M2 MacBook Air
- Restricted to mobile apps rather than full fledged desktop applications.
- Terrible battery life in comparison to a M2 MacBook Air
- Batteries cannot be replaced. If the batteries are dead, you have to throw away your iPad. Or be lucky Apple gives you a brand new iPad.
- There is 0% battery management on the iPad which kills battery health (even the Apple Watch Ultra 2 has a battery management system in place).
- Restricted to things allowed by Apple.

Unless you are a digital artist, the iPad Pro doesn't make any sense anymore now that Mac have Apple Silicon chips.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
What you mean picked up as the "weakest"? The M2 MacBook Air is the most popular Apple computer. It will be picked as 1st.

Now where it goes wrong for the iPad Pro.
- More expensive than a M2 MacBook Air
- Restricted to mobile apps rather than full fledged desktop applications.
- Terrible battery life in comparison to a M2 MacBook Air
- Batteries cannot be replaced. If the batteries are dead, you have to throw away your iPad. Or be lucky Apple gives you a brand new iPad.
- There is 0% battery management on the iPad which kills battery health (even the Apple Watch Ultra 2 has a battery management system in place).
- Restricted to things allowed by Apple.

Unless you are a digital artist, the iPad Pro doesn't make any sense anymore now that Mac have Apple Silicon chips.

If you want a tablet form factor, then a Mac does not make sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.