Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Could you direct me to a better Android tablet? I’ve had a few nice ones over the years - my favorite was the old nexus line back before that was discontinued. Very customizable and affordable. But i find the iPad has exceeded them all in its build quality and sense of “this isn’t just a big phone”

I’m genuinely interested if there’s a better tablet option
I own both iPads and Android tablets, better is a subjective thing, as it's a matter of priorities. Samsung flagship tablets are better in many ways than iPad pro, but are the overall better? It depends on what matters to you, there is no yes or no answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isengardtom

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Could you direct me to a better Android tablet? I’ve had a few nice ones over the years - my favorite was the old nexus line back before that was discontinued. Very customizable and affordable. But i find the iPad has exceeded them all in its build quality and sense of “this isn’t just a big phone”

I was big on Android tablets, I still have 6 of them around somewhere (including both revs of the Nexus) but switched to Apple. I was a power user, rooting and installing custom ROMs. I picked up a higher-end Samsung last year but returned it - I just find the Apple products and available apps to be better and more polished and with better performance, custom ROMs and all.

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
It's not an emotional post. These are the facts:
- 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro = 100% battery health
- 13" M2 MacBook Air = 100% battery health
- 12.9 M1 iPad Pro = below 80% battery health

And the reason for this, is that Apple doesn't allow you to manage the charging behavior of the device, like what you can do on Mac.

The iPad Pro really sucks with the way it destroys batteries due to limitations Apple has put in place.
What about the optimized battery charging setting in iOS/iPadOS?

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
What about the optimized battery charging setting in iOS/iPadOS?

What optimised battery charging setting for iPads? You know Apple doesn't allow you to do anything with iPads.

Even my Apple Watch Ultra 2 has optimised charging setting that you can turn on / off.

If there is a permanent "optimised charging" that the user is not allowed to change, it is not working, because I have never seen it in action. On my iPhone & Mac I have seen the optimized charging working plenty of times.

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
What optimised battery charging setting for iPads? You know Apple doesn't allow you to do anything with iPads.

Even my Apple Watch Ultra 2 has optimised charging setting that you can turn on / off.

I read somewhere that the iPad have "optimized charging" enabled by default, but I have never seen it in action, unlike on my iPhone. So I believe it doesn't work on iPad if this is true.
I guess I never noticed this. Since iOS/iPadOS are so similar I always assumed it was just there. But we all know what happens when you assume things….😅

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020

If you want an Android tablet, people usually like the Samsung Galaxy tablets and Xiaomi Redmi.
But IMHO, Windows tablets are more userful (at the expense of battery life). Android tablets tend to be a bit lacking in content creation software (there's Fresco and Clipstudio if you like drawing, but they're not my favorites).

xantufrog

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2023
The iPad is a touchscreen tablet made by Apple.
1696508065515.gif

Reactions: Little Endian

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
In the past I never liked iPads, tried few times and always thought they are useless devices… then i got the Mini 6, and now its the most used device for sofa surfing, media consumption and basic daily usage in the house

Reactions: D_J

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
In the past I never liked iPads, tried few times and always thought they are useless devices… then i got the Mini 6, and now its the most used device for sofa surfing, media consumption and basic daily usage in the house
this is kind of me. it is a lot easier to grab the mini than a big ipad. it's the same thing, just bigger. so if doing anything you do on your phone throughout the day would be enhanced by a bigger screen, the ipad mini works.

Reactions: D_J

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
I own both iPads and Android tablets, better is a subjective thing, as it's a matter of priorities. Samsung flagship tablets are better in many ways than iPad pro, but are the overall better? It depends on what matters to you, there is no yes or no answer.
I agree.

I’d say the Samsung tablets are better for watching video but I find the iPad nicer for reading websites for example and the aspect ratio is more handy if you occasionally like to read something in portrait

The (free included) S-Pen is pretty great. I’d say in note taking probably better than the apple pencil, Not sure about drawing (and the amazing app procreate is not on android unless that’s changed in recent months)

Keyboard options are better on the iPad (Pro) for me, The Samsung book cover is pretty mediocre in my personal opinion when you’re used to the Magic Keyboard.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I agree.

I’d say the Samsung tablets are better for watching video but I find the iPad nicer for reading websites for example and the aspect ratio is more handy if you occasionally like to read something in portrait

The (free included) S-Pen is pretty great. I’d say in note taking probably better than the apple pencil, Not sure about drawing (and the amazing app procreate is not on android unless that’s changed in recent months)

Keyboard options are better on the iPad (Pro) for me, The Samsung book cover is pretty mediocre in my personal opinion when you’re used to the Magic Keyboard.
Procreate is not on Android, but you have a perfect clone of Procreate, HiPaint, so even that is not an argument (other than people not knowing it exists)

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

I went out of the box. I got a Fold 5 to act as a tablet. It's like carrying an iPad Mini in your pocket. I wanted to make it my main phone too, but I can't escape the Apple iPhone ecosystem. But when I need a tablet, the Fold is a lot of fun.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I went out of the box. I got a Fold 5 to act as a tablet. It's like carrying an iPad Mini in your pocket. I wanted to make it my main phone too, but I can't escape the Apple iPhone ecosystem. But when I need a tablet, the Fold is a lot of fun.
I am a Samsung smartphone user since the very beginning (Samsung Galaxy S1), but I like small phones, currently using 2, the S10e as my main phone and the S23 as my camera phone (and sometimes also for social media etc. at home). I have been tempted by foldables, and I almost bought a Fold 4 this summer when I saw it for $800, but I want to wait for them to become more like the Pixel Fold (but from Samsung...), that's the size I like as a phone...

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I am a Samsung smartphone user since the very beginning (Samsung Galaxy S1), but I like small phones, currently using 2, the S10e as my main phone and the S23 as my camera phone (and sometimes also for social media etc. at home). I have been tempted by foldables, and I almost bought a Fold 4 this summer when I saw it for $800, but I want to wait for them to become more like the Pixel Fold (but from Samsung...), that's the size I like as a phone...

I am not a huge fan of the Fold's folded skinny size. The Pixel Fold is the right size. But Samsung's software is so mature. Every app I tried opened up to use the full unfolded screen and a good portion had tablet specific layouts. The Pixel Fold's software - a lot of it opens with black bars. Not a lot of third party apps are working right with it, that will take time. But the Samsung is nailing the experience.

Reactions: Digitalguy

xantufrog

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2023
I do really like my s21. Not been lured to the iPhone side yet - currently figure my next phone will also be a galaxy

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I do really like my s21. Not been lured to the iPhone side yet - currently figure my next phone will also be a galaxy

I enjoy both sides, each have their own strengths and weaknesses. I use iPhone as my main quite frankly because everyone else I know does too. iMessage and FaceTime are the defacto standards and being an Android user is an outlier.

But my killer feature for iPhone is transcription of voicemails - including live transcribing. Very vool.

Reactions: xantufrog

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I enjoy both sides, each have their own strengths and weaknesses. I use iPhone as my main quite frankly because everyone else I know does too. iMessage and FaceTime are the defacto standards and being an Android user is an outlier.

But my killer feature for iPhone is transcription of voicemails - including live transcribing. Very vool.
I guess you are in the US then. Here is Europe we are "fortunate" enough not to have this problem, as nobody uses iMessage and FaceTime so there is no risk of being a outlier...
Most people use Whatsapp and if you don't have whatsapp (which is crossplatform) you are kind of cut out from the rest of the world (hardly anyone send SMS anymore)

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I guess you are in the US then. Here is Europe we are "fortunate" enough not to have this problem, as nobody uses iMessage and FaceTime so there is no risk of being a outlier...
Most people use Whatsapp and if you don't have whatsapp (which is crossplatform) you are kind of cut out from the rest of the world (hardly anyone send SMS anymore)

Yes, iPhone dominates the US, but Android is pretty much everywhere else in the world. Though Canada is almost split, 51 vs 49 iOS.

xantufrog

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2023
Yes, iPhone dominates the US, but Android is pretty much everywhere else in the world. Though Canada is almost split, 51 vs 49 iOS.
I believe it's not much more than 50% iPhone in the US. It does dominate, but it's probably only about 50% in my personal network, maybe less as well. Don't use facetime, don't need to. Ipad has it- never turned it on

I think if I got an iPhone it would be to get an apple watch. But I actually don't want any more connectivity than I have. I feel harassed enough trying to get through my day 😜

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
Seems that regular consumers (non-Macrumors people) agree with what I said, the iPad is the worst device by far in Apple their entire line up. This is based on 18k votes.

Luckily, the EU might fix this problem of Apple as the EU might try to force Apple to open up iOS and therefore also maybe iPadOS, removing all the restrictions and limitations put in place by Apple.

1696711865921.png

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Seems that regular consumers (non-Macrumors people) agree with what I said, the iPad is the worst device by far in Apple their entire line up. This is based on 18k votes.

Luckily, the EU might fix this problem of Apple as the EU might try to force Apple to open up iOS and therefore also maybe iPadOS, removing all the restrictions and limitations put in place by Apple.

View attachment 2290942

Need some context here - how/where did this come from? And some saying it's the weakest in the Apple product line does not translate into a universal it-sucks.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
Posts about battery life anxieties are becoming much more common place. This is truly a 21st century problem that is only bound to get worse. I think we should petition to get the American Psychiatrist Association to list a new mental disorder in the DSM-6. We could call it “Battery life dysmorphic dysphoria” This will be the first step to getting help for those who need it.

Common symptoms of this condition include a constant fixation about battery life causing anxiety that disrupts everyday life. Loss of sleep is common as is constant worry about the size of your battery life and its shrinking capacity. Worrying that the size of your battery life won’t give you the stamina to last. Always comparing the size of your battery life to others. Worrying that the size of your battery life will never be able to please anyone.

There is a cure for this malady it is called Apple Care or other 3rd party warranties. Nothing is perfect, batteries included sometimes there are manufacturing duds. If a manufacturing defect is to blame it usually will manifest itself with a year or two. Other than that batteries are a consumable product and will degrade over time and use. Don’t worry it’s normal to wish that your battery life was a little bigger as almost everyone does. To loose sleep and fall into depression over battery life is not normal and needs to be addressed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.