Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
If you want a tablet form factor, then a Mac does not make sense.

Smartphones are becoming so big nowadays, they are tablet replacements. It's why Android tablets are dying. Some smart phones can literally even transform into a real tablet.

So do you really need a tablet if you got a smartphone in 2023? In the end, you are using the same mobile applications.

• Haha
Reactions: StumpJumper

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Smartphones are becoming so big nowadays, they are tablet replacements. It's why Android tablets are dying. Some smart phones can literally even transform into a real tablet.

So do you really need a tablet if you got a smartphone in 2023? In the end, you are using the same mobile applications.

Yes. I am not using LumaFusion to process 4K videos on a phone. I am not using Lightroom tp process 40MB RAW images on a phone. I will not watch video on a small phone screen. I will not read a book on phone screen.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
Yes. I am not using LumaFusion to process 4K videos on a phone. I am not using Lightroom tp process 40MB RAW images on a phone. I will not watch video on a small phone screen. I will not read a book on phone screen.

And in the end, you can save money by simply buying a M2 MacBook Air and use real desktop application for those type of things.

If I take Logic Pro on Mac with all my 3rd party plugins that I have, it utterly destroys all that mobile stuff that is available on iOS / iPadOS. Now I am not saying you cannot work with those mobile applications, but you get better results with desktop applications.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
And in the end, you can save money by simply buying a M2 MacBook Air and use real desktop application for those type of things.

If I take Logic Pro on Mac with all my 3rd party plugins that I have, it utterly destroys all that mobile stuff that is available on iOS / iPadOS. Now I am not saying you cannot work with those mobile applications, but you get better results with desktop applications.

I don't want a Mac and an M1 iPad Pro does really well with those applications.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
What you mean picked up as the "weakest"? The M2 MacBook Air is the most popular Apple computer. It will be picked as 1st.
Fine then the MacBook Pro would be considered the weakest Mac laptop. The point remains that the weakest of a group of very good things isn’t the condemnation you think it is.
Now where it goes wrong for the iPad Pro.
- More expensive than a M2 MacBook Air
- Restricted to mobile apps rather than full fledged desktop applications.
- Terrible battery life in comparison to a M2 MacBook Air
- Batteries cannot be replaced. If the batteries are dead, you have to throw away your iPad. Or be lucky Apple gives you a brand new iPad.
- There is 0% battery management on the iPad which kills battery health (even the Apple Watch Ultra 2 has a battery management system in place).
- Restricted to things allowed by Apple.
None of those things prevent my iPad from being really great and enjoyable to use.

Last edited:
Reactions: sparksd

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Trust me, Lightroom on my iPad is a vastly better experience than on my iPhone despite being the same mobile application. Lots of things are better on a tablet sized screen.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I don't want a Mac and an M1 iPad Pro does really well with those applications.
Same here, I have zero interest in buying an Apple Silicon Mac. My M1 mini is basically nothing more than a plex server, because I work much better with Windows (and I couldn't care less that we are on a Mac centric forum).
And for laptops I want cellular, which Macs don't offer any way. Nor they offer any under 1kg Macbooks (except the Intel retina Macbook which I have).
And I want pen support, but I am no "digital artist", I just need to annotate Word and PDF document for my work, which I can do on iPad, Windows or Android but not Macs.
And I want a small phone, and even if one day I get a foldable, it won't replace my larger tablets, at best it will replace my iPad mini...
The OP is assuming people only want one device, while many who buy iPads pro already have Macs or PCs, and have different uses for them.
If I had to keep one device, I would keep one of my Surface devices, but I like having iPads too as they have advantages and even having iPads of differents sizes for different uses...

Reactions: rui no onna

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Same here, I have zero interest in buying an Apple Silicon Mac. My M1 mini is basically nothing more than a plex server, because I work much better with Windows (and I couldn't care less that we are on a Mac centric forum).
And for laptops I want cellular, which Macs don't offer any way. Nor they offer any under 1kg Macbooks (except the Intel retina Macbook which I have).
And I want pen support, but I am no "digital artist", I just need to annotate Word and PDF document for my work, which I can do on iPad, Windows or Android but not Macs.
And I want a small phone, and even if one day I get a foldable, it won't replace my larger tablets, at best it will replace my iPad mini...
The OP is assuming people only want one device, while many who buy iPads pro already have Macs or PCs, and have different uses for them.
If I had to keep one device, I would keep one of my Surface devices, but I like having iPads too as they have advantages and even having iPads of differents sizes for different uses...

Same here. I have an M1 12.9 Pro, cellular Mini 6, 14 Pro Max, and 16GB i& Surface Pro 7. I use each for different purposes and use cases, feel no need to reduce my number of devices and have zero desire for a Mac of any kind.

xantufrog

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2023
Agreed

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

I'll do that last thing on a phone.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Never liked the small pages myself. The Mini 6 is a good size for me for general book reading - I ditched my Kindle Oasis for it. Just a personal preference - I know a lot of people like the phone for books.

Speaking of, I need to find my Oasis and load it up with books sometime before our trip (15 hour flight).

Reactions: sparksd

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Yeah, this was never a problem. Battery health is irrelevant if the device isn’t updated.

If you update through a quintillion iOS versions and battery life plummets, that’s on you for updating.

I’m pretty sure that an M1 iPad Pro on iPadOS 17 is new enough for it to still have a good battery life relative to iPadOS 14 regardless of health.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2022
What is the point of preserving the battery of consumer electronics device? By the time the battery is unusable the device needs to upgraded anyway. Also, limiting to 80% means you have 20% worse battery life. So you’re causing the exact thing that you’re trying to prevent. Reminds me of grandma who picks her favorite sofa color and material and then covers it with rags to preserve it. Never fully enjoying the sofa. And in 20 years it turns to dusty **** anyway.

Reactions: VaruLV and yegon

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Never liked the small pages myself. The Mini 6 is a good size for me for general book reading - I ditched my Kindle Oasis for it. Just a personal preference - I know a lot of people like the phone for books.

Yep - same here. I agonized over ditching the Oasis because I love it so much, but the Mini is close enough, and it's nice not having an extra device. And since I need a USB-C charger for my phone anyway, having to charge my Mini more often isn't a huge deal.

EDIT: just realized the date on your post. Sorry!

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
What is the point of preserving the battery of consumer electronics device? By the time the battery is unusable the device needs to upgraded anyway. Also, limiting to 80% means you have 20% worse battery life. So you’re causing the exact thing that you’re trying to prevent. Reminds me of grandma who picks her favorite sofa color and material and then covers it with rags to preserve it. Never fully enjoying the sofa. And in 20 years it turns to dusty **** anyway.
They could just want better longer lasting battery. I don’t typically hold onto my devices that long, but my M1 12.9 iPad battery was awful after 3 years. The last 6 months or so, probably got about half of expected battery life.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010

I have found that's not the case. For days where I know I'll mostly be at home and the home sitting at it magsafe charger, I just turn on the 80% limit. When I know I am going to be out all day, or on trips, or something, I disable the 80% limit. Same can be done with the iPad as I'm sure people who work with it and have it plugged in for long periods ca have it enabled, but then can disable as needed and use their full battery.

Reactions: Digitalguy

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2022
They could just want better longer lasting battery. I don’t typically hold onto my devices that long, but my M1 12.9 iPad battery was awful after 3 years. The last 6 months or so, probably got about half of expected battery life.
In that case I see the point. I would expect device in this price point last for 5 years.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2022
I have found that's not the case. For days where I know I'll mostly be at home and the home sitting at it magsafe charger, I just turn on the 80% limit. When I know I am going to be out all day, or on trips, or something, I disable the 80% limit. Same can be done with the iPad as I'm sure people who work with it and have it plugged in for long periods ca have it enabled, but then can disable as needed and use their full battery.
Good point. I didn’t think of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.