Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 15?

• Total voters

Bananasaurus

Suspended
Aug 16, 2023
Seven more hours until it is in my hands. The power. Itā€™s like Thor.
200w.gif

Lex404

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2023
PL (&US, JP)
For those of us who want to continue with 5-12W slow charge but be free of the dongle life you can use a USB-A to USB-C cable like this below

71x92GptreL.jpg

Pair it with a 6 USB-A port charger that outputs 10W/port to slow charge all USB-C devices like iPhones, iPads, Watch, Airpods & Macbook Air 13" M1.

51A3Cw2FD5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I would not recommend a USB-A charging a Macbook Air 13"/15" M2 or any Macbook Pro as they'll discharge while recharging.

So a charger with

- 5 USB-A ports that outputs 12W/port to slow charge all USB-C devices like iPhones, iPads, Watch, & Airpods
- 1 USB-C port that outputs 20W to "slow charge" wiithout discharging a Macbook Air 13"/15" M2 would be useful

618AWolA-lL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Slow charging while not discharging a Macbook Pro 13"/14"/16" would require a 60W USB-C port with a charger like this below. Although I would have wanted 2-3x the number of USB-A ports with supporting 12W/port power output.

81unQqKRrGL.jpg

For car chargers I'd go with something that can output 30W per USB-C port as this is the place that you want to 0-50% charge within a 30 min drive.

dfcd35865920ada1971acfc5729f278f.jpg
You don't need these bulky chargers to get 10W

Any good charger brick (e.g older samsung) that has 5v 2A is 10W. 5v 1A outputs 5W but that's super slow. Anyone but Apple marks them in Voltage - Current, only Apple marks them in Power (Watts). W = V*A (Power = voltage * current)

I'm sure we all have lots of charging bricks of 5v 2A, they're quite standard for all non fancy devices. I have a drawer full of them šŸ˜…

rjjacobson

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2014
Can we start a petition to convince Apple to bring back the 5-watt charger with a @TheYayAreaLiving šŸŽ—ļø Limited Special Edition? It can power anything and everything from a smoke detector to a nuclear reactor.

View attachment 2274107
And of course my phone is now 20 minutes from town, I looked and could not go back to sleep @TheYayAreaLiving šŸŽ—ļø and I find things getting wilder here LOL. I would buy one of those ;):cool:šŸ™ƒ what have you been doing in After hours LOL?

Reactions: Wolfs

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
You don't need these bulky chargers to get 10W

Any good charger brick (e.g older samsung) that has 5v 2A is 10W. 5v 1A outputs 5W but that's super slow. Anyone but Apple marks them in Voltage - Current, only Apple marks them in Power (Watts). W = V*A (Power = voltage * current)

I'm sure we all have lots of charging bricks of 5v 2A, they're quite standard for all non fancy devices. I have a drawer full of them šŸ˜…
I am pointing to those multiport chargers for users who find themselves in places and rooms with only 1 vacant electrical outlets. We all typically have multiple devices that need to charge at the same time. These venues do this to limit how much power draw their guest can do. I typically find myself unplugging the TV to charge as that's the only outlet outside the bathroom.

There are also instances like some poorly planned out airports with 1 vacant electrical outlet when majority of travelers have single port chargers, like the one you have drawers worth.

We need to charge in parallel before a flight without per seat outlets.

Having any 6 port charger would help out 6 passengers at departure. If it is a fast charger then you can help 6 passengers get to 0-50% within 30 mins or faster. Be a good Samaritan and let succeeding batches of 6 passengers use it until you are boarding.

For example I am a traveling photographer that brings with him these devices and their power requirements

- 140W MBP 16"
- 65W power bank
- 30W Canon EOS R3
- 30W iPhone Pro Max
- 12W Watch

11_7d5a7a06-cd4a-41ac-8eaf-ef3ed2e3e612_3840x.png

I need to be up by 4am so I sleep by 8pm. I get back to the room around 6pm after a day's shooting. How can I do that if the hotel only has 1 outlet? Do I bring a power strip to use your drawer's worth of chargers? That's wasted space and weight in a traveler's bag.

Last edited:

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Happy iPhone day! I woke up an hour and a half early feeling exhausted but got too distracted wondering if I got my pickup email while I was asleep (I did - yay!) to go to back to sleep. So here we are! Letā€™s hope today goes fast for everybody. Iā€™m excited to see your new iPhones! :D

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
ā€¦also the weight difference between the regular 14 and the 15 Pro is nominal, personally I canā€™t tell the difference. And the size seems to be the same even though the specifications state differently though it is a minor fraction too small for the 14 case. Being lighter is the only reason why I got the pro 15, the previous pro models were just too uncomfortable for practicality for me.
ā€¦the main reason why the pro 15 is lighter is because the silly heavy glass is missing from the back šŸŒøšŸŒøšŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Š

Attachments

• IMG_0192.jpeg
    IMG_0192.jpeg
    364.8 KB · Views: 47

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022

rjjacobson

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2014
I placed my order successfully at 5:03AM PDT. I was on 4 active devices. Around 5:16 AM I encountered this horrible error from the Apple App Store. I panicked and lost my hope. I knew something was was coming sure enough the iPhones were delayed.

I was desperate for the App to come back alive but it never returned for me. This is 16 minutes after the Pre-Orders went live.

View attachment 2274482

#2,382

Another error occurred from @foof

1694780177645-png.2262732

@hovscorpion12 also faced desperation sadly.

View attachment 2274484

View attachment 2274485
Mine was strange also had ipad, iphone and macbook going. The iphone never got in the app never got to store, but around 4 or 5 minutes after my ipad got in. I got the final checkout button ok. Then the place order button popped and all hell broke loose and I never got back into the store via the iPadOS app either for 20 minutes or more. But when all hope was loss I tied my store on my macbook safari browser and I got in!! I looked around found the button to complete the order and it went. I believe that the checkout on ipad actually had locked my order at 5 past or so but I had to somehow click on the button on the browser page on macbook to ā€œfinalizeā€ it LOL

rjjacobson

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2014
Shout out to @rjjacobson Thank you so much for providing all the weather updates and coverage. In addition to tracking all the flights from China. I appreciate you so much! Thank you! Big things are coming our way next year. Happy 73th Birthday again!

Thanks sitting here with you all after about 4 hours sleep woke up at 3 am and gave up trying to go back to sleep so I must be excited eh @TheYayAreaLiving šŸŽ—ļø LOL

LeahJoFoxtrot

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2016
gift it to a family member and next time take care of your stuff if you want to resell it. šŸ„“
You mean in like a case? Like the one it was wearing? When I smashed my face in from tripping on a sidewalk in front of a car dealership?

It was in a case. That damage is the outer ring, barely any on the screen. I will gladly repost a picture of my face when it happened and picture of the case I was using lol :p

And I will never use a 2" thick Otterbox, it ruins using the phone for me.

1695372808677.jpeg
1695373022298.jpeg
1695373050886.jpeg

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
I really don't understand it either. Totally disappointed by the color.
I got a winter blue silicone case, and itā€™s much darker than the light blue shown on Appleā€™s site. At first I wanted to return it, but itā€™s grown on me sitting out for the past few days. I still wish it was the color on Appleā€™s site though.

Reactions: MayfairMissy

MayfairMissy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2021
I got a winter blue silicone case, and itā€™s much darker than the light blue shown on Appleā€™s site. At first I wanted to return it, but itā€™s grown on me sitting out for the past few days. I still wish it was the color on Appleā€™s site though.
That's good to know. I really wanted that winter blue one instead of my usual light pink.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.