Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
Although I disagree with governments getting involved in things like this, I do think Apple switching to USB-C on all of their devices is the right thing to do and will benefit everyone in the long run.
Holy crow. A reasonable and intelligent human being that is able to separate "I want" from "I want to force this upon". Am I dreaming?

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
It's sad that 40Gbps data rates isn't supported on the iPad without Thunderbolt 4. But it's kinda good that a USB-C charging cable on most >$429 Android phones released this half of the year is now compatible for future iPhones next year.

Bad news for Apple's Lightning connector business but hopefully it offsets the cost of having Lightning.

I am glad I did not buy any USB-C to Lightning cables.

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Uh...it's a spec. Tech websites care about almost nothing else.

People on the other hand. The market. That's different.

Yes, and your point? Individuals write the articles. Specs that translate to faster transfer speeds matter. Real world use. What is your claim? That people can't ultimately benefit from faster transfer speeds with their ProRes content?
That specs don't translate to anything? I'm not sure why you quoted me because in the real world, this isn't even really debatable.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
The most frustrating thing I’ve come across on MR over the years is this “who cares, no average person needs this” argument.

Yes, great point. it's because it will sell amazing anyway, and therefore any opinions outside of that are ostracized and criticized. I mildly criticized the iPhone XR for having a sub 1080p screen here, and had people up on me for that one too. "It sold well, so you're wrong!". Not a great rebuttal unless I said it wouldn't sell well. I still said it would be good iPhone but I found that disappointing. Some here even noticed the less sharp font to their iPhone 8 Pluses. So yes, specs do translate for some that care or do notice.

McDonald's brought in $37 billion in US revenue, do those sales figures make it great quality food? Nope. In fact it ranked the highest in sales, but lowest in quality of food of the fast food chains. ZERO correlation. While I love my Apple products wholeheartedly, it doesn't make me blind to any potential flaws or areas I'd discuss that things can improve. Especially since we discuss future iPhones.

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
AFAIK Apple has committed to the iPhone having USB-C.

What is an unknown is if the data throughput will exceed that of USB 2.0.

For almost everyone this is not as important as USB-C charging.

It's a nice to have 40Gbps data transfers for content creators who want to use the iPhone as a vlogging camera or higher end use cases.

Agai, Apple has not released any iPhone with USB-C. Odds are it will come out 11 months from now.

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
Doesn't work with itunes.

Also airdrop only works if both devices are from apple AND have a wifi adapter installed. It's not enough for the devices to just be on the same network and able to communicate with each other.

Plus, wifi is really slow compared to standard wired connections, but that goes without saying.
I have to say, even as a user who would rather see USB4 in the next iPhone, I'm rather unmoved by the suggestion that there is a substantial need for iPhone users to move huge amounts of data on a regular basis over a cable to Windows machines.

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
Yes, and your point? Individuals write the articles. Specs that translate to faster transfer speeds matter. Real world use. What is your claim? That people can't ultimately benefit from faster transfer speeds with their ProRes content?
That specs don't translate to anything? I'm not sure why you quoted me because in the real world, this isn't even really debatable.
People would have to use it first for it to qualify as real world use.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Yes, great point. it's because it will sell amazing anyway, and therefore any opinions outside of that are ostracized and criticized. I mildly criticized the iPhone XR for having a sub 1080p screen here, and had people up on me for that one too. "It sold well, so you're wrong!". Not a great rebuttal unless I said it wouldn't sell well. I still said it would be good iPhone but I found that disappointing. Some here even noticed the less sharp font to their iPhone 8 Pluses. So yes, specs do translate for some that care or do notice.

McDonald's brought in $37 billion in US revenue, do those sales figures make it great quality food? Nope. In fact it ranked the highest in sales, but lowest in quality of food of the fast food chains. ZERO correlation. While I love my Apple products wholeheartedly, it doesn't make me blind to any potential flaws or areas I'd discuss that things can improve. Especially since we discuss future iPhones.
Your post contains logic. That doesn't mean much to Tim Cook and his many fans on MacRumors who uncritically support every illogical thing that happens under his watch.

Reactions: davedvdy

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
People would have to use it first for it to qualify as real world use.
Yes and people do transfer files from their iPhones over to the computer via wire---AKA real world use.
I know people that do and find the process slow, and better suited for faster USB 3.0 or higher speeds.

What is your issue with moving to faster transfer speeds? What is the con here as I'm failing to see a point or if there is a case you are making for USB 2.0 speeds.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
@davedvdy @ThomasJL

Are you buying the devices you both are highlighting?

If you aren't then the people who bought them liked it enough to not return them.

Anecdotal examples aren't good points one way or the other.

If you are happy with a product does that mean it's perfect? Does that mean it doesn't have any room for potential improvement?

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Anecdotal examples aren't good points one way or the other.

If you are happy with a product does that mean it's perfect? Does that mean it doesn't have any room for potential improvement?
I did not provide any anecdotes.

I also never said the products are perfect.

What I said was if the products bought are good enough to be kept and be replaced with a future upgrade say 3-4 years or longer then it has served its purpose.

If it does not work out for you then replace with whatever you think is worth it.

Reactions: Shibamigo

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
I did not provide any anecdotes.

I also never said the products are perfect.

What I said was if the products bought are good enough to be kept and be replaced with a future upgrade say 3-4 years or longer then it has served its purpose.
I didn't ask you for anecdotes or assumed you provided them. You asked me to provide my anecdotal example (if I or ThomasJL purchased the iPhone personally). That would be an anecdotal example.

A product can serve it's purposes and still have a flaw in some way for the end user or have room for improvement.

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
I didn't ask you for anecdotes or assumed you provided them. You asked me to provide my anecdotal example (if I or ThomasJL purchased the iPhone personally). That would be an anecdotal example.

A product can serve it's purposes and still have a flaw in some way for the end user or have room for improvement.
That's not an anecdote

I asked if you are actually buying the goods you listed.

What I wanted to know if you were the target user or not.

I've noticed that people will complain about said product or service but when asked if they'll buy it, they aren't gonna buy it even when it is available.

Like how this forum and reddit echo chambers a desire for an iPhone mini for years. When one is marketed it sells poorly. Online forums makes it appear that there's a huge demand but outside the Internet it just does not move in targeted volume.

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
Yes and people do transfer files from their iPhones over to the computer via wire---AKA real world use.
I know people that do and find the process slow, and better suited for faster USB 3.0 or higher speeds.

What is your issue with moving to faster transfer speeds? What is the con here as I'm failing to see a point or if there is a case you are making for USB 2.0 speeds.
I have zero issue with moving to something better.
I'm unmoved by the idea that there is a significant use case for it. Just not buying it.
I'm also curious to see what solutions the market comes up with to fill the (alleged) void. Apparently this problem has existed for a long time, and while Apple has not budged on improving wired transfer speeds, wireless improvements have come regularly. Where are the solutions to transfer files? iPhone has nothing proprietary going on in wireless. It has WiFi 6. Where are the solutions? It's not for lack of ability. It's just a lack of demand.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
That's not an anecdote

I asked if you are actually buying the goods you listed.

What I wanted to know if you were the target user or not.

I've noticed that people will complain about said product or service but when asked if they'll buy it, they aren't gonna buy it even when it is available.

Like how this forum and reddit echo chambers a desire for an iPhone mini for years. When one is marketed it sells poorly. Online forums makes it appear that there's a huge demand but outside the Internet it just does not move in targeted volume.

Yes, I own the iPhone 14 Pro (and 14 Pro Max), and I am very happy with them. I also don't create content from an iPhone though, and know iPhone users that do that want the faster transfer speeds.
Sales data doesn't necessarily correlate with quality, which was my other point above.

Anecdotal evidence is what I'm referring to. Personal experiences. This part I bring up because other users say they don't need something personally. Therefore they conclude that it's irrelevant.

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
Even if that’s the case, it doesn’t change the fact that USB-C is not equal to faster speeds
Oh, you're absolutely right. Heck, even the USB cable included with the macs is literally only a USB 2.0 cable and cannot support USB 3.0 speeds. The advantages for going to USB-C go far beyond just transfer speeds though. Being able to share cables and chargers will be far more convenient than having to have an entirely separate set of cables for the iPhone, so regardless of what protocols Apple implements, I'd still consider it a win.

I still wouldn't put it past Apple to try to pull some gimmicks in the beginning though (my hope is that they don't pull something ridiculous where the iPhone Pro is USB 3.0 and the regular iPhone is USB2.0), but I can't imagine it'd last more than a couple years if they did. It just doesn't make enough sense for them to try to omit it long term.

Last edited:

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Whatever, I have had really good lightning docks for a long time. For phones and iPads. Sh-it for them.
But just bought 1 new USB-C dock to new iPad Mini. If it’s good I buy a few more to have in other rooms, and to later iPhone to as well. That’s tech life. No problem.

himynameisryan

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2022
How much does it really matter
I recently acquired a MagSafe Battery pack, and it's annoying that I need to have a lighting cable just for that, but does it really matter, like it's a cable, just plug it in

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
I have zero issue with moving to something better.
I'm unmoved by the idea that there is a significant use case for it. Just not buying it.

A significant use case has already been made. You have iPhone highlight features such as ProRes on the iPhone. A significant use case for that would be to quickly and reliably get the data off the iPhone and onto a computer for editing.

Which transfer method gives you a fast file transfer speed to transfer ProRes or other large files off an iPhone?
Which reliable method do you know of that you can use to quickly transfer? (Hint: AirDrop isn't a reliable method, a quick search can solve that for any pondering that or the video link below).

The Tech channel below explains the various methods in great detail.
(The YouTuber's comment in the conclusions (about his best method) "It's frustrating and limited to USB 2.0 speeds".

scgf

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Market Harborough, UK
Are there many out there like me who doesn’t really care about this? I honestly don’t. I don’t transfer files from my iPhone. I charge my phone every night via MagSafe while I sleep. Ummmm yeah at this point I wouldn’t mind a port less iPhone like an Apple Watch.
Absolutely. Those who care seem to be reviewers and tech journalists. They have their own agenda. They make it such a big thing and it really isn't.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Lightning is fine, USB-C is fine. It's such a non-issue.

It is an issue if you have to carry a bunch of different cables around. Things get much easier if you only need a single cable to charge your Mac, iPad and phone while traveling.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Absolutely. Those who care seem to be reviewers and tech journalists. They have their own agenda. They make it such a big thing and it really isn't.

How is it an "agenda" to want fast and up to date transfer speeds?
Yes, they have an agenda to point out valid criticism of a product as well, not to just gaslight everything.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.