Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

objc

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2007
Speaking as a software engineer, this does not make sense from a security standpoint, and Apple'simply logic here is flawed. I could understand if Apple selectively disabled the Touch ID feature when this check fails, but to completely brick the entire phone? There's absolutely no need to take it to that level.

Apple doesn't have official repair channels that are easily available in all countries. Furthermore, the repair channels Apple does offer are often so outrageously expensive that most independent shops can do it significantly cheaper. Apple knows this, and this is an obvious and desperate ploy to drum up more business for their own repair channels. If you've seen the repair price for an iphone recently, it has gone up dramatically in the last few years, and there's just no excuse for it to be so high, especially since they use such cheap components (16GB storage in the year 2016 anyone? ).

Apple possesses the capability to selectively disable touch ID. The fact that they completely brick phones in this case, without warning, tells me they haven't really thought it through.
Don't bring logic into this fellow software guy. Apple hits us because they love us.

Reactions: Demo Kit

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
The third party repair kiosks damn well know they're selling crap parts that will brick your phone and most likely stop working after 2 days.
Confused. What story did you read where the parts were crap? According to the story I read the phone worked fine after being repaired. It only bricked when it got updated to the latest version of iOS. Absent any evidence to the contrary, if the guy hadn't updated to the latest version of iOS his phone could still be working.

Junior117

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Toronto, Canada
So Apple deliberately bricks the home button with Touch ID if it's not repaired legitimately and people are mad and blame Apple, saying they shouldn't be doing this.

But what if Apple doesn't do this sort of thing, but then all of the sudden someone finds a way to break the security and compromise the phone because this wasn't done? Are people going to get angry at Apple and blame them, saying they should have made better security?

Yes. Yes they would.

Either way, Apple loses. Apple may as well keep doing this.

Personally, I think the only way for Apple to not do this is if people start removing liability to Apple if Touch ID gets compromised at some point after the repair. But since Apple is trying to make their stance in security and everyone is holding on to them on that, they can't do that.

That's Apple's fault and they shouldn't be so iron-fisted about it, but this is where they want to be and that means they're going to do whatever it takes to do so (even if it means blocking devices if things seem like they can be compromised).

Reactions: igorsky

objc

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2007
Yes it does, because GM very likely won’t refuse the repair.
LOL. Sorry sir, you’ve had your clutch replaced by an independent - it’s likely that its ’s damaged the gearbox. You will need a whole new car.
"Sir, we flashed a calibration update onto your car's engine control module. It detected a third party clutch disc, and your car is now bricked and can't be repaired, even by putting in a GM clutch. We can exchange your car for $18,000."
"WHAT????"'
"Yes, sir, that's a very reasonable price. A new car from GM would cost $24,000."
"That's OUTRAGEROUS! They killed my car!"
"Well, sir, it's GM's car, not yours. Doesn't matter if you bought it. They can do whatever they want. It's for your own good."

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
While I understand the vitriol against Apple for this error, it makes sense from a security standpoint. Hopefully, having an authorized Apple repair center replace the home button with a legitimate one can restore a phone giving this error.

First, if you RTFA, Apple says there is no hardware or software fix for the error 53. So, no, an Apple repair center cannot restore the phone.

Second, it makes zero sense from a security standpoint to brick the phone. Wiping all user date from the phone makes sense. Permanently destroying the phone makes zero sense, and I look forward to the class-action lawsuits.

Reactions: Demo Kit and ENduro

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Well if I replace the door locking system on my car, and get it done at a non-honda garage, it doesn't stop the car from being usable..... so No, you're not :rolleyes:
Wrong analogy, bud. If you replace the fob receiver from a shady garage, it can most certainly stop the car from being usable.

Tjex

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2012
The level of apple fandom on this thread has reached new levels!

New OS bricks the phone with no warning! Only option is to buy a new one. Why not just disable touch id? Because apple wants to control who repairs your phone.

How would you like it if you could only grt your car repaired at a dealership? (Car manufacturer aren't allowed by law to lock out after market parts)

People, you paid good money for that phone to own it, not to rent it!

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
If a third-party is serious about being in the business of repairing Apple devices, then they seek authorization and certified parts. Good for them, good for the consumer.

It is just sad that there are people who think more obstacles to servicing a device are good for the consumer.

This is good for Apple's bank account. Bad for Apple's reputation and brand value. A disaster for the consumer.

Reactions: Demo Kit and dnsp

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
That's one of the primary reasons the iOS update...do you work for Samsung?
What makes you think that I work for Samsung? Because Touch ID started since iOS 7. The guy in the article said it works perfectly prior updating to iOS 9. So maybe you work for Apple do you have an answer for that?

Tjex

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2012
Wrong analogy, bud. If you replace the fob receiver from a shady garage, it can most certainly stop the car from being usable.

Except that you can get a new keyfob if it doesn't work from Honda and drive your car, you are not forced to buy a whole new car!

Reactions: Dave.UK

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
So Apple deliberately bricks the home button with Touch ID if it's not repaired legitimately and people are mad and blame Apple, saying they shouldn't be doing this.

But what if Apple doesn't do this sort of thing, but then all of the sudden someone finds a way to break the security and compromise the phone because this wasn't done? Are people going to get angry at Apple and blame them, saying they should have made better security?

Yes. Yes they would.

Either way, Apple loses. Apple may as well keep doing this.

Personally, I think the only way for Apple to not do this is if people start removing liability to Apple if Touch ID gets compromised at some point after the repair. But since Apple is trying to make their stance in security and everyone is holding on to them on that, they can't do that.

That's Apple's fault and they shouldn't be so iron-fisted about it, but this is where they want to be and that means they're going to do whatever it takes to do so (even if it means blocking devices if things seem like they can be compromised).

Because THIS issue involves OUR FINGERPRINT and Apple MUST safeguard that vault ANY WAY THEY HAVE TO.

The people complaining that Apple is being CONSPIRATORY about this issue would be the VERY same people lining up lawyers to SUE them for being too lax safeguarding us..if they didn't take extraordinary measures to protect us.

Any breach of Touch ID will destroy the faith in their products.

As a stockholder and a longtime Apple client this policy while disruptive is a NO ALTERNATIVE situation.

Maybe I'm in the minority but personally this situation is a wake up to me that I personally would now be leery of these "pop up shops" that seem to have grown like cancer in every market around the world.

Admit it. Nearly all of us would only entertain visiting these stores in order to save money. Apple is saying you can visit them but we will protect you and your most trusted data and block your device.

Makes perfect sense no matter how butt hurt some are.

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
Why?

If my iPhone is out of warranty, then I should be able to have it repaired by who ever I want.

I can see why it might be a good thing to avoid circumventing the security on stolen phones, but from a user standpoint who wants a repair, apple repairs aren't exactly the cheapest, or in the UK and other countries where apple stores are only in big cities, its a pain in the rear not being able to take it to a local phone shop.

Absolutely. And, when assessing repair options, one must accept the potential adverse consequences of not having Apple perform the repair. Your responsibility.

RoyalElephant

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2013
Now I'm pretty curious! What make/model/year of the car that does this? I have a 2012 Kia Soul and all mine can do is sync bluetooth audio to the speakers and play calls. Also, why would a car need to store banking information? (not sarcastic, I genuinely want to know what car does this)
Every car, people leave documents with private and extremely important personal info lying on the floor of their car all the time. Now imagine a car that doesn't work if you get the locks fixed by a local mechanic.
FYI: The new Bentley's basically have a smartphone built in. So even if you mean digital only, cars can store info.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Why is this even a story? Apple should not be held responsible for any bad thing that happens to your iPhone if you installed a non-genuine Apple component. It's a risk you take if you went to a third party who uses third party parts.

Apple bricked the phone on purpose. In what way should they not be held responsible? If Timmy breaks into your house in the night and smashes the phone with a hammer, should he not be held responsible because you had it repaired without Apple getting a cut?

If the third party repair causes the problem, it's not Apple's fault. This is 100% Apple's fault.

sundragon

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Washington, DC
How can this be a safety feature if it only activates after an OS update?
You know, sometimes security features are rolled out in... um... OS updates.... You know, like patches, when they realize they need to make it more secure... I know, I know, this is totally an Apple thing and no one updates or patches their software after the fact...

/sarcasm

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
The level of apple fandom on this thread has reached new levels!

New OS bricks the phone with no warning! Only option is to buy a new one. Why not just disable touch id? Because apple wants to control who repairs your phone.

How would you like it if you could only grt your car repaired at a dealership? (Car manufacturer aren't allowed by law to lock out after market parts)

People, you paid good money for that phone to own it, not to rent it!

Is this Apple fandom too?

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/05/technology/usb-c-cords/index.html?linkId=21016541

Nixie1972

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2010
If you need a new key doesn't that have to come from the manufacturer and by paired/coded at not inconsiderable cost?
That is correct. Not for the outside locks, but for the start-interruption system. The key must contain a specific NFC-chip, which is nog cheap and the key and car must be paired with specific software and a pin-code. Just like this case where a replacement home button and the iPhone must me paired using specific software, only available to authorized repair shops.

Reactions: chiefsilverback

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
No sympathy from me. Apple's Warranty specifically states that an "unofficial" repair voids the warranty. What'd you expect?

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
What makes you think that I work for Samsung? Because Touch ID started since iOS 7. The guy in the article said it works perfectly prior updating to iOS 9. So maybe you work for Apple do you have an answer for that?

Who cares what was.. Talk about what is. Clearly in fact very clearly security was IMPROVED in iOS 9. Apple Pay btw came to be in iOS 8.

I want my data safe TODAY. Apple must make these devices as fail proof as they can.

I'm glad they are serious even if it means pissing off a percentage of customers that seek unauthorized repair centers to fix their devices.

There is not one of these so called after market iphone repair centers here in Los Angeles that don't feel sketchy at best when entering them. All of them. Heck even the lame "geek squad" centers in Best Buy stores have been caught stealing customers data.

Why shouldn't Apple protect themselves from the potential for tampering with a proprietary feature on their devices that could ultimately HARM US???

Last edited:
Reactions: citysnaps

sundragon

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Washington, DC
...but how about just disabling Touch ID instead of bricking the whole phone, forcing people to buy a new one? Why can't Apple just replace Touch ID again to make the existing phone work?

/sarcasm

Hi, rocket science - They would risk the chance that someone did not double password protect sensitive data so it's more secure to brick the phone when the OS gets a flag that "security enclave" has a non-certified piece of equipment... This is basic practice in security.

People, really just buy a Nokia soap bar phone or Samsung (which doesn't do this kind of thing and can be repaired with cheap Chinese parts at your own risk) and move on...

/sarcasm

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
I have fixed quite a few phones (kind of a hobby). If your fingerprint sensor rips off for whatever reason (it happens quite a bit), you can use a third party home button as a replacement. BUT TOUCH ID NO LONGER WORKS. Because the finger print sensor is tied to that specific motherboard.

So, there is no way to access data preserved on the phone, it has to be wiped, but the phone still works, just without touch ID. It basically turns it into an iPhone 5. Which for many people is an acceptable alternative to paying apple to fix it.

You understand the security risks though? If someone could just install hacked touch ID sensors, then your data could be compromised. Apple has a responsibility to prevent scenarios like that.

And you don't have to get it fixed by Apple per se, but they probably need to be an authorized repair center. Otherwise what's to stop cheap repair shops from putting in Chinese knockoff TouchID sensors and putting your security and or personal information at risk?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.