Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So is yours. Only an opinion of one person on a biased rumors website, compared to hundreds of thousands of users on twitter whose devices Apple have bricked.
Your original statement was hyperbole without any substance to this. No one is debating that error - 53 exists, the debate is if apple is justified in protecting it's ecosystem. My opinion is yes yours was hyperbole.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Apple has zero responsibility to allow or consider non- Apple parts being put into their product.

In the USA, almost every manufacturer has that responsibility.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act allows a consumer to use any dealer or replacement part to do repairs, without losing their warranty solely because it was not from the original manufacturer. This applies to everything from car parts and repairs, to upgrading your computer with non-Apple drives or memory.

This law was passed in the 1970s because of widespread abuse of manufacturers selling overpriced "tie-in" products, like batteries and memory. Or claiming that your car had to be repaired at a dealer.

The main "out" is if the manufacturer can prove that the third party repair or part was done improperly or caused damage. Hmm. I suppose Apple has wiggle room in this case, because no third party could "do it properly" without Apple's proprietary methods of reflashing the security keys.

The law does allow a class action suit if more than 100 people are affected, so watch for that.

While I understand the vitriol against Apple for this error, it makes sense from a security standpoint.

Not really. Since it only checks during an OS update, then it's not much of a security check.

Apparently I could replace your sensor every day between OS updates without triggering the check.

Last edited:

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Moral: If you have a heart condition, a history of DVT, or are or think you might be pregnant, don't let unauthorized people repair your iPhone.[/QUOTE]

If you think you may ever need to place an emergency call do NOT buy iPhone.

Reactions: Demo Kit

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Are you guys actually listening to yourselves? You are literally justifying Apple's actions in that they should be allowed to DESTROY someone's phone if they get it repaired at a 3rd party repair shop and then upgrade to the latest OS.
What the wut???
That's really F'd up guys. I mean, people refer to us as mindless sheep for this very reason. Come on.

First off, I'm not buying this excuse from Apple in the first place. No way they would brick someone's phone for getting it repaired at a non-Apple Store repair shop. If they are doing this on purpose, this should be reason enough for people to walk away...no, run away from Apple because this is pretty much illegal. I wouldn't want to be on the **** end of that stick.
But this has to be something that that was brought to their attention as a bug and their solution was to turn it into a feature and say customers are SOL (typical). And you guys are buying into it hook line and sinker. Sheesh.

Second, if Apple did do this on purpose, all Apple had to do was maybe disable the phone if it detects parts that are not "Apple made", or give you periodic notifications that you can't disable, and then remove them once the correct parts are installed. They don't have to brick the damn thing and make someone buy a new phone because of it. But, with that said, that's still horribly shady and majorly douchey, but at least they aren't destroying your ***** phone.

It's absolutely no different than the SS coming into your home in 1940's Germany and burning it down because you didn't have an approved "official" photo of Da Fuhrer on display. Well, same concept anyway.

If I want to get MY iPhone 6 repaired at a 3rd party shop, I should be able to do so at MY OWN RISK, without worry of Apple's iron fist coming down and smashing my phone from the heavens (or from hell, pick your poison). Apple has no right to tell me where I have to get my phone fixed and what brand parts I have to put in it. They are within their rights to void the warranty if the phone is still under warranty, I get that, but they can't be bricking people's phones over it. That is insane!
If I live 500 miles away from an Apple Store or an authorized repair center (if those even exist), then what? I have to ship it off and wait weeks to get it back? Or I have to drive 500 miles to get it fixed? That's just stupid if I have a phone repair shop in my town.

That 1984 ad that Apple is sooooo proud of, in no way shape or form represents the Apple of today. Talk about role reversal. Wow.

I don't believe Apple for a second in this. Surely this is a bug that they are trying to turn into a feature. If not, then this is reason enough to run away from Apple and never come back. We'll see if anything comes of this.

Wow. So now Apple is Nazis? What a ridiculous diatribe.

Aside from the fact that Apple's EULA clearly states that they do have the right to brick your phone for using third party parts, the button on the iPhone 6 is an integral part of the highly sophisticated security system of the phone. Placing a third party button on the phone compromises the relationship between the user's fingerprint, the OS and the secure enclave on the phone. If Apple were to allow the use of the third party button and have compromised phones walking around they could conceivably be liable for identity theft, etc.

At best they risk having a tarnished reputation. It would be similar to a couple of years ago when there were click bait stories on the web about some woman in China who was electrocuted by an iPhone, and when all of the facts came out it was revealed she was using an unapproved knock-off charger.

Now, having said that Apple should offer to repair this person's phone (at his expense) by replacing the third party button with an Apple approved one.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Aside from the fact that Apple's EULA clearly states that they do have the right to brick your phone for using third party parts,

It does not say any such thing. That would be illegal in the US and many other places.

What it does legally say, is that the warranty does not apply if a third party part DAMAGES the device.

the button on the iPhone 6 is an integral part of the highly sophisticated security system of the phone. Placing a third party button on the phone compromises the relationship between the user's fingerprint, the OS and the secure enclave on the phone.

Then it should be checked every time, not just during an OS update.

If Apple were to allow the use of the third party button and have compromised phones walking around they could conceivably be liable for identity theft, etc. At best they risk having a tarnished reputation.

It's a required legal risk in the USA, and I believe there's something similar in the EU.

People with brains do not blame their car maker for the failure of a third party brake shoe or battery.

However, they would rightfully blame the car manufacturer if it deliberately built a car to crash simply because you used non-OEM parts.

Now, having said that Apple should offer to repair this person's phone (at his expense) by replacing the third party button with an Apple approved one.

Now that makes sense.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Moral: If you have a heart condition, a history of DVT, or are or think you might be pregnant, don't let unauthorized people repair your iPhone.

If you think you may ever need to place an emergency call do NOT buy iPhone.
The moral is, always take your device to an authorized repair center so if you have a heart condition, DVT or think you might be pregnant you can be assured of placing an emergency call. As unauthorized repairs can jeopardize your ability to use your device, when needed.

dark_knight177

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
The moral is, always take your device to an authorized repair center so if you have a heart condition, DVT or think you might be pregnant you can be assured of placing an emergency call. As unauthorized repairs can jeopardize your ability to use your device, when needed.
The moral is, always buy from a manufacturer which doesn't milk it's customers by making them use their own repair services or bricking if they don't.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI

Does too :)

This Warranty does not apply: ...(e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple...

I, nor you have any idea what proprietary interaction goes on in between the home button/fingerprint sensor and the secure enclave that may be (probably likely) at risk of compromise by using a third party home button. If you look at the situation with a bit of pragmatism, instead of the "Apple is Evil and Wants to Squeeze Every Last Dime From Us" mentality it makes little sense for them to go through the trouble to make this happen unless there is a real risk to them. Fact is that a scant few of their customers are going to run into this issue, and the loss of revenue for them to allow third party buttons is relative pennies to their bottom line.

I believe they would face a far greater risk in loss of reputation, etc. if they allowed this to happen, thereby making their product less secure.

Then it should be checked every time, not just during an OS update.

Agreed. But since we don't know all of the facts we don't know whether this was just a byproduct of the fact that this was a security "fix" instituted in iOS9 that was not included in earlier iOS versions.

It's a required legal risk in the USA, and I believe there's something similar in the EU.

People with brains do not blame their car maker for the failure of a third party brake shoe or battery.

However, they would rightfully blame the car manufacturer if it deliberately built a car to crash simply because you used non-OEM parts.

Again, I would want to know what patents were issued on this technology, and whether the patent is related to the interaction of the fingerprint sensor/secure enclave and software. If so it's completely reasonable for Apple to be able to say that each of these components are part of a proprietary system that must work completely in harmony to work reliably at all. Consequently, the phone could view the introduction of a third party component into the system as a threat to security, and shut down completely.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Home button is core functionality. It's core how you use and navigate . Your using optional features to tailor your user journey.

The do NOT buy iPhone was mine. I tried to quote someone else and the multiple quote did not work out well. Te person I was quoting had the DVT, heart condition etc.

Bottom line. This is a money grab. Apple (Cook) is greedy. Innovation is dead. Changing the size of a device is all they seem to have. I have not seen a watch in the wild so until I do [or Cook reveals reveals figures] I will continue to consider it a flop.

If Apple seriously considered this a grave security risk the phone would not function immediately after third party repair. Waiting for an iOS update is worthless from a security standpoint. If the phone was in the wrong hands the miscreant would simply not update.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Activate Error 53
bOYUA2g.jpg

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The do NOT buy iPhone was mine. I tried to quote someone else and the multiple quote did not work out well. Te person I was quoting had the DVT, heart condition etc.

Bottom line. This is a money grab. Apple (Cook) is greedy. Innovation is dead. Changing the size of a device is all they seem to have. I have not seen a watch in the wild so until I do [or Cook reveals reveals figures] I will continue to consider it a flop.

If Apple seriously considered this a grave security risk the phone would not function immediately after third party repair. Waiting for an iOS update is worthless from a security standpoint. If the phone was in the wrong hands the miscreant would simply not update.
Security updates are always forward. When a security risk is found it's the next update that gets the fix. Based on the information known at this point, you can't conclude it's a money grab any more than a security update. I guess the world will have to see how this plays out.

Reactions: CarlJ

Mfnd

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2011
I've just read this BBC news article regarding the latest iOS upgrade. I havnt got round to upgrading to iOS 9.2.1 yet but 2 weeks ago dropped my phone cracking the screen which was replaced by a non Apple phone repairer. I've done a search on this forum on error 53 and read what's already been out here but wondered if this is likely to cause issues before I upgrade? It was the glass which cracked. The Touch ID worked perfectly (as did the screen) after it had been dropped and I only paid £80 for the repair so not sure if they did anything to the Touch ID button but wondered if I should refrain from updating?

Bbc article below if anyone hasn't seen it yet. Not sure if this is a new issue.

iPhones 'disabled' if Apple detects third-party repairs
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35502030

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
When I turn my iPhone off I have access via passcode not fingerprint.

The phone knows it had been turned off and prompts this.

Apple know when an a non- Apple repair has taken place, hence the error 53 problem. Therefore they could ask for a passcode after such a repair. Thus there is no fingerprint touch button compromise

Last edited:

igorsky

Suspended
Mar 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Um...wow. Wrong.
If you take the most recent version of iOS and Android, both are pretty secure. There isn't much of a difference, so long as people update their apps and OS in a timely manner.
If you have a cheaper Android phone running a 4 year old OS, well, yeah...security might be an issue if you install apps that aren't trustworthy...but that goes for any operating system on any platform. Old, unsecured software can cause problems on any device.
With Android (like anything else)...keep your apps updated and don't install apps from shady .ru sites (you can't by default, you have to enable this ability to bypass that security feature)...and don't user "password" as your password (did some of you *gasp* because I just posted your password?) if you practice that, you'll be 100% fine.
So in short, don't be stupid.

It's been proven time and time again that iOS is much more secure than Android, yet here you are with your "Um...wow. Wrong". People like you fascinate me...I love your attempts at wanting to change reality just by arguing the opposite.

Your views on security also fascinate me. To you it's as simple as "don't be stupid". Yet you're also on here ranting about your right to take YOUR phone to some dude with an iFixit toolkit so that he can mess with it's security nerve center, taking a chance on him ruining your phone and voiding the warranty, to save a couple of bucks. That's the essence of being stupid, no offense. So I'm not sure what side you're supporting. I'll just say that the reason I support what Apple is doing is because I understand exactly where they're coming from. They're thinking that it's people like you, the one's who rant about their right to do what they want with their own phones, are the same ones who then blame Apple when something goes wrong. At worst, they don't want that dude with the iFixit toolkit to hack someone's phone via a third-party Touch ID, completely compromising the security of the phone. Apple takes security seriously, and I'm glad they do.
[doublepost=1454781510][/doublepost]
The moral is, always buy from a manufacturer which doesn't milk it's customers by making them use their own repair services or bricking if they don't.

You should buy whatever suits your individual preference and use case.

Reactions: I7guy

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Security updates are always forward. When a security risk is found it's the next update that gets the fix. Based on the information known at this point, you can't conclude it's a money grab any more than a security update. I guess the world will have to see how this plays out.

Based on the info provided, and no known way to access the device data , even with a 3rd party touchid installed, the security angle is questionable . What is definite is that this will result in sales.

Or....you have to take into into Apple or authorised dealer , and they will install authorised parts and unbrick it.

New device or repair, it's $$$$

Irony is that if there was an exploit, the person who did the repairs already has your data.

Reactions: Demo Kit

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
This issue has been around since last year, the fix, disconnect the home button, restore/update reconnect button. Problem solved till the next update. Total pain in the tits though, would be better if Apple just disabled Touch ID.

Last edited:
Reactions: MH01 and Demo Kit

kdarling

macrumors P6
Does too :)

This Warranty does not apply: ...(e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple...

It only says the Warranty is invalid, not that they "can brick your phone" :)

Moreover, notice that they carefully follow the law's requirements by NOT saying that just using third party parts voids the warranty. Because by law, they cannot.

Instead, they say that it happens if a part causes DAMAGE, because the law does allow that.

I, nor you have any idea what proprietary interaction goes on in between the home button/fingerprint sensor and the secure enclave that may be (probably likely) at risk of compromise by using a third party home button. If you look at the situation with a bit of pragmatism, instead of the "Apple is Evil and Wants to Squeeze Every Last Dime From Us" mentality it makes little sense for them to go through the trouble to make this happen unless there is a real risk to them. Fact is that a scant few of their customers are going to run into this issue, and the loss of revenue for them to allow third party buttons is relative pennies to their bottom line.

I agree that it's not about making money. It's probably more about lazy coding. Someone should've thought it through more. Perhaps warned the user, and then allowed them to re-validate by entering their passcode. At the most, disable TouchID and force use of the passcode. Disabling the entire device is just wrong.

Agreed. But since we don't know all of the facts we don't know whether this was just a byproduct of the fact that this was a security "fix" instituted in iOS9 that was not included in earlier iOS versions.

Could be. The basic idea is good, but the current implementation sucks. Whatcha bet that it'll change in future releases? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.