Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

santanads

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
Thanks, FRG! This post got just in time to cancel the order of the SSD before it has been sent. Rgds

barturas

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2020
It is ~7mm, IMHO 4mm heatsink will fit fine.
Read also barturas post which is 2 posts above - PM981 didn't work for him.
yes, Samsung's PM981 blades are incompatible with Macs. I installed it, it did show up in OS but Mac crashed after some time with some fatal errors/kernel panics. And, yes, it also heats up immensely. I doubt if heatsink would be effective.
There are many references on the internet about this incompatibility. Google "PM981 Mac".

PM981a: Phoenix controller (S4LR020): NVMe
3D TLC (64-layer)
Available in 256GB, 512GB, 1TB, and 2TB
PCIe 3.0 x4
Speeds: ~3,500 MB/s read, up to 2,400 MB/s write
Sector size: 512 bytes per sector
Datasheet
Compatibility status: Issues/not compatible
4Kn support: Unknown
This is from the thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/pcie-ssds-nvme-ahci.2146725/

But FRG mentioned he was able to use 950 PRO even though other users have stated incompatibility as well. I'm not sure if the firmware for PM981 could be updated. I would just go with another blade.

Reactions: santanads

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
BUT the old 1TB HDD shows twice in my disk utility. I guess OS just sees the drive twice, but how can I "combine" the drive as one (as it is one drive irl)?

This sounds normal to me. Starting with Catalina, MacOS creates two "disks" for additional security. One of them is protected and contains the system files. Normally the second disk is hidden from you, it only appears in programs like Disk Utility, Carbon Copy, etc.

santanads

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
yes, Samsung's PM981 blades are incompatible with Macs. I installed it, it did show up in OS but Mac crashed after some time with some fatal errors/kernel panics. And, yes, it also heats up immensely. I doubt if heatsink would be effective.
There are many references on the internet about this incompatibility. Google "PM981 Mac".

This is from the thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/pcie-ssds-nvme-ahci.2146725/

But FRG mentioned he was able to use 950 PRO even though other users have stated incompatibility as well. I'm not sure if the firmware for PM981 could be updated. I would just go with another blade.
Thank you, guys! I have just cancelled the PM981 order and replaced for an Kingston A2000, wich was in the same price level. I owe ya this one.. rgds

smk19

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2021
Thank you, guys! I have just cancelled the PM981 order and replaced for an Kingston A2000, wich was in the same price level. I owe ya this one.. rgds

And did your kingston a2000 work as bootup drive in your Mac mini?
I'm not sure about buying the kingston a2000 or data XPG SX6000 lite.
I like to hear from you!

Miggie78

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2020
I like to hear from you!

I installed the Kingston A2000 as boot drive a while back in my Mac mini 2014. So far it has been working fine no problems – although after Big Sur I think the boot time has slowed down somewhat.

smk19

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2021
I installed the Kingston A2000 as boot drive a while back in my Mac mini 2014. So far it has been working fine no problems – although after Big Sur I think the boot time has slowed down somewhat.
Thank you! I will go with the Kingston!

Reactions: Miggie78

Miggie78

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2020
Thank you! I will go with the Kingston!

I picked the Kingston for the low price and good warranty and since the Mac mini is speed capped by the 2x bus the drive performance won't matter that much I think (a high perf drive would be a waste of money).

It will be a fun project and will breathe some life to an old mac, enjoy! :)

santanads

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
I like to hear from you!
Yes, it is running now as my boot drive with no problems, reaching over 700MB/s. The Kingston was, when I was researching for this acquisition, the best option among the reliable brands in terms of price and compatibility. I`ve also installed the Big Sur and it's working fine. Good Luck!

Attachments

• Captura de Tela 2021-01-20 às 20.21.51.png
    Captura de Tela 2021-01-20 às 20.21.51.png
    259.6 KB · Views: 177

smk19

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2021
I have installed the Kingston a2000 250gb as my bootup drive, works like a charm! With over 700 MB/s it is so much snappier for a fairly low price!
Thanks!

Reactions: estabya

macguiwer

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2021
Spain
What 512 gigabyte unit do you recommend for my 2014 mini, I would be interested to know some unit works well with hibernation mode.

ronster22

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
Finally installed a Sabrent Rocket NVMe 1TB with my adapter and reloaded Mojave on it. So far so good. General functionality on the Mini seems a lot snappier, hopefully this extends its lifespan for a couple more years.

Reactions: pippox0

alamery

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2021
Hi to all there,
I purchased SSD Samsung Evo 980 PRO, I put it and it was working great, they mentioned on the box the reading reaches 7000MB/S but in Bench test I found the reading reaches Max 853MB/S, fitted in Mac mini 2014 with NVMe2 adapter in PCIe port, there's any way or possible to reach the speed of 7000MB/s ?? I'm still not installed the macosX on it, but still using the old primary SSD 500 GB with HighSierra OSX, awaiting any reply from anyone have this experience on that matter.

Regards,

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Just look at the many screenshots posted earlier in this thread. If you are getting 853MB/sec that is very good for the 2014 Mini. From what I have seen, 700 to 800MB/sec is typical of what people get. You will certainly not see 7000MB/sec on a 2014 Mini! I have a 2tb internal SSD on my 2018 Mini and it clocks at about 2700MB/sec. :)

alamery

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2021
Just look at the many screenshots posted earlier in this thread. If you are getting 853MB/sec that is very good for the 2014 Mini. From what I have seen, 700 to 800MB/sec is typical of what people get. You will certainly not see 7000MB/sec on a 2014 Mini! I have a 2tb internal SSD on my 2018 Mini and it clocks at about 2700MB/sec. :)
So, that's mean there's anyway if I'll change the adapter, or if I'll keep it in SATA slot I'll get near from 2700MB/s min ?

Or if I change the OS to Microsoft Windows, do you think we'll get a difference?

So SSD not compatible with mac machines is it that?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
No, you will need to buy a 2018 Mini to get 2700MB/sec and that is only possible with the factory-installed SSD which is permanently soldered in.

IMO, you are already getting the max that the 2014 Mini is capable of delivering. I believe it is limited by the interface, but someone else here can explain that better.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
No, you will need to buy a 2018 Mini to get 2700MB/sec and that is only possible with the factory-installed SSD which is permanently soldered in.

IMO, you are already getting the max that the 2014 Mini is capable of delivering. I believe it is limited by the interface, but someone else here can explain that better.

This is correct. The SSD slot in the 2014 Mini has two PCIe 2.0 lanes available, each of which provide a max theoretical throughput of 500MBps.

Reactions: Boyd01

tuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2003
I just did this. I bought an L-shaped adapter (bundled with a T6 security torx driver and an m.2 screw) from Aliexpress for USD$8.69 + $0.52 tax + three weeks shipping time.
Then I bought an Inland Premium 512gb NVMe SSD for USD$60 + $3.60 tax. Inland is MicroCenter's house brand, but it's also available on Amazon and Inland Premium is on the list.

So, for about $75, and less than ten minutes installation time, I have a more responsive 2014 macMini. BlackMagic reports write and read speeds in the mid 700s MB/s. That's not considered especially fast these days, but it's 10x faster than the internal 4500 rpm hard disk.

One thing that surprised me, though I guess it shouldn't have, is that I figured there was no reason to buy the most recent vintage NVMe SSD for a 2014 macMini. I figured an older, slower model would be fine. But what I didn't expect was that the older, slower models cost more than the newer, faster ones. I guess it makes sense that media prices drop in general, which means the price of newer models trends downwards. But I figured the prices of older models would be pushed lower, which seems not to have happened.

makuribu

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
I bought the adapter on Aliexpress but had to get the TR6 Torx from Amazon later. I assumed I had it in one of those computer repair toolsets I have, but the security Torx is not a common item.
I upgraded the Mini to High Sierra.
I picked up an ADATA XPG SX6000 Lite 256GB stick. I formatted it using a USB enclosure, because I wasn't sure if the Mini would see it if it was unformatted, and I only wanted to open the computer up once.
It's a quick process to install, even when you drop one of the screws inside the Mini. Thank heavens for magnetized screwdrivers :)
Upon booting, the Mini saw the SSD. I made a Mojave bootable installer on a USB stick and installed on the SSD.
Performance is greatly improved, and I can boot back into High Sierra on the HD should I ever want to.

rlopez808

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2021
Did my SSD upgrade on my late 2014 Mini, using the Sintech L adapter and a Kingston 500G A2000 M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 SSD
SSD ->https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07VXCFNVS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Adapter -> https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07Q5FBNVG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Easy install and great performance boost to the mini, but I'm having a "Sleep Wake Failure in EFI" error that keeps crashing the mini whenever it does a sleep wake cycle. SSD is currently flashed with Catalina.
Error code attached

Has anyone experienced this issue with a new SSD install, and did you find a solution? I've tried sudo pmset standby 0 & sudo pmset hibernatemode 0 without any luck, and after searching through many forums I'm losing hope :( Would appreciate any help offered!
Thanks, this thread has already been immensely helpful

Attachments

• Sleep wake Failure in EFI.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 151

architect1337

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
I'm confused. The extra connector on the Mac Mini 2014 is a SATA connector isn't it, so why is everyone buying NVMe M.2 drives? Surely a SATA M.2 drive and adapter would be cheaper since the interface can't drive the NVMe drive at full speed as it's not a direct PCIe connector? Is everyone just wasting money? It's a bit like buying high speed memory when the CPU doesn't support it. It will work, but you pay more but get less. Fair enough if you have a NVMe drive laying around but otherwise??

**EDIT** I just checked and the price differences are actually not that much now.

Last edited:

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I could be mistaken here, but I think SATA will only give you about 500MB/sec (like the 2012 Mini) however the 2014 Mini is capable of about 800MB/sec with the right SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.