Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Looks like OP get a defective one. I don't have anything wrong happening to me or I'm just lucky.
By the way, removing the Instagram app helps me tremendously with the phone randomly getting warm and having bad battery life. It consumes more battery than the youtube app playing with 100% screen brightness + speaker. That's how terrible Instagram is.
I deleted the app as well. Got tired of having a conversation about literally anything and seeing that very topic/subject advertised to me on Instagram app. In spite of having all tracking, microphone, camera access, everything turned off, Instagram still seems to gather my data. Makes me wonder how they're doing that if Apple is truly protecting our data. I just use Safari -> Instagram webpage. Much more clunky, but better battery life and no more Meta apps on my device.

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Yes but the process of upgrading a mature product for another (immature) but new product starts between the ears. And to me it's a childish spoiled brat way of thinking. When money is no object anything goes.
Wow, who hurt you man 🫤 It's ok, it's only a phone. This is a friendly forum...using language like 'childish spoiled brat' is maybe a bit unnecessary. You don't like folk upgrading their phones yearly, that's perfectly fine. No need to make it personal.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Correct. If you do want to upgrade every two years, it's not that different to use the IUP and get it every year. It's definitely not as hyperbolicly extravagant in the US as the poster I was commenting on is making it out to be.

I certainly wouldn’t want to upgrade every year and pay £20-£30 a month more for the privilege. I get the impression it’s a more popular service in the US as I would have thought I’d know at least one person that used it. Maybe people aren’t as keen on the hassle? I know a year old phone still feels new at that point for me.

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
My pro max is perfect. No heat (barely warmed when I was transferring data), great display, no issues so far (just set up last night but I’ve played with quite a few apps and the camera to check everything out).

My only issue right now is not being sure I can get used to the size. It didn’t seem bad at all when I was setting it up, but after doing my usual reading in bed and stuff, it became noticeably larger and heavier. It’s not really much heavier on paper than my 14 pro though, so I’m gonna mess with it a good bit the next couple days and see if I feel like I’m getting used to it.

It is a beautiful device for sure.

I have the 14 Pro and I want to try the Max since the iP13. I thought "this is the year" considering the overall size and weight reduction.

BUT is a big phone and will always be. I think the 15+ could be nice, because is 20g lighter than the Max and for some reason IMO the aluminium frame and the camera bump feels a lot better on the non pros.

I know, promotion, etc; but honestly the 60Hz is not so bad; take note that any 60Hz iPhone works way better than turning off promotion on the pros. I played with my partner mini yesterday and the 60Hz is fine.

And for the cameras, If I look to my last 500 pics on my gallery; I dont have any macro or zoom photo! I take a ton of them when I bought the 14pro (ants, flowers, textures, etc) but never again 😂

Also I have used 140gb of the 256 on my 14P, but 90 of them are just photos and videos; I pay Google photos so Im thinking on going with the 128 15+ and delete ton of content from the local space.

Anyway, just ideas.

Last edited:

mrmister

Suspended
Dec 19, 2008
I get it friend but what I don't is "why have a new phone every 1-2 year" if not for FOMO (said it again). The IUP has been established by Apple to make you renew your iPhone every year. To me, renewing every year is plain stupid, It doesn't proceed from the need of doing so.

I mean, if we're talking about "need", most of us could probably go seven or eight years without upgrading. I'm not sure why you're so interested in managing other people's experiences, but that's on you.

Reactions: ibookemo

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I have the 14 Pro and I want to try the Max since the iP13. I thought "this is the year" considering the overall size and weight reduction.

BUT is a big phone and will always be. I think the 15+ could be nice, because is 20g lighter than the Max and for some reason IMO the aluminium frame and the camera bump feels a lot better on the non pros.

I know, promotion, etc; but honestly the 60Hz is not so bad; take note that any 60Hz iPhone works way better than turning off promotion on the pros. I played with my partner mini yesterday and the 60Hz is fine.

And for the cameras, If I look to my last 500 pics on my gallery; I dont have any macro or zoom photo! I take a ton of them when I bought the 14pro (ants, flowers, textures, etc) but never again 😂

Also I have used 140gb of the 256 on my 14P, but 90 of them are just photos and videos; I pay Google photos so Im thinking on going with the 128 15+ and delete ton of content from the local space.

Anyway, just ideas.

I wanted to go with a max last year, and had my order in hand in the store (while I also had a 14 pro order in hand). Ultimately I just couldn’t make the jump. The weight and size seemed like too much. When they announced these would be a bit lighter, I was pretty committed to trying to make the switch. I just wanted more room for a little larger text and a bigger keyboard. When I started using it Friday night, I was unsure. It seemed a little heavy to hold one-handed in the bed for reading (but let’s me honest - a couple ounces really shouldn’t be a problem), and it was definitely bigger in the hand.

However, after using it all weekend, I’m definitely keeping it. At this point it feels normal to use, and makes the 14 pro seem small in comparison.

I was torn because I just didn’t know if, with the size, I could make it at least a 2-yr phone - thought I might get tired of it. I guess it’s still possible that I will get tired of it over time, but I think the likelihood is that I’ll get more and more used to the size and not want to revert to a smaller size.

I think the plus is a fantastic option, and I really struggled with that (my plan all along was to go with a plus for the size without the weight, and I LOVE the pink), but I also felt like I’d regret that as a 2-year phone since it already had less features to start with.

Reactions: crouch and ibookemo

Wig321

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2018
I’m tempted to go with the 15 plus.

My 15 pro battery life has been terrible. I updated to 17.1 public beta last night to see if that helps. AOD switched off.

Browsing macrumors on WiFi with promotion turned off, brightness approx 30%, Safari has used 4% battery in less than 15 mins.

Then phone in my pocket for 5 mins and it’s just dropped another 2%. For battery usage it’s showing ‘settings 3m background’.

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2013
NYC

My 15 pro battery life has been terrible. I updated to 17.1 public beta last night to see if that helps. AOD switched off.

Browsing macrumors on WiFi with promotion turned off, brightness approx 30%, Safari has used 4% battery in less than 15 mins.

Then phone in my pocket for 5 mins and it’s just dropped another 2%. For battery usage it’s showing ‘settings 3m background’.
Yea the 15 Pro’s battery life is awful. Must be the A17 Pro chip sucking up all the juice. I returned it and got the regular 15 and no battery life issues now. In fact in my experience the 15 has much longer battery life than the 15 Pro. As a bonus it’s also lighter and looks better in my opinion. Happy with the 15 :)

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Yea the 15 Pro’s battery life is awful. Must be the A17 Pro chip sucking up all the juice. I returned it and got the regular 15 and no battery life issues now. In fact in my experience the 15 has much longer battery life than the 15 Pro. As a bonus it’s also lighter and looks better in my opinion. Happy with the 15 :)
I wonder if the coming Apple update to fix the heating issues will also improve battery life.

Reactions: Populus

Wig321

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2018
I wonder if the coming Apple update to fix the heating issues will also improve battery life.
I installed iOS 17.1 beta last night, and no improvements to battery life. Maybe they haven’t implemented the fix yet… but I can’t be bothered with another year of poor battery life after the 14 pro.

Wig321

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2018
Does it have curved edges like the pro models? How is the grip / ‘slippyness’ compared to the pro? I don’t use a case most of the time.

I’m going to call into my local Apple Store on Thursday and try out the 15 and 15 plus.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I installed iOS 17.1 beta last night, and no improvements to battery life. Maybe they haven’t implemented the fix yet… but I can’t be bothered with another year of poor battery life after the 14 pro.
Apple didn't acknowledge the issue until after the release of the first beta. I'm running it as well.

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
Apple didn't acknowledge the issue until after the release of the first beta. I'm running it as well.
15PM has been just as good as my 14PM. Last nights screen shot using my phone during the day. 10 hours and still 30% left. Yup will take it any day
IMG_0122.png

Reactions: TruthWatcher412

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
My 15 Pro Max has also been great, both heat- and battery-wise. No complaints here.
yup.. all good here and using AOD with my changing pictures but w/o widgets as I find the widgets so drain the battery more than it should. The 15PM is just a joy to hold and go case-less like I did with my 14PM but that was terrible to hold.

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009

I think it's iOS bugs that will take a few months to find and fix. That's why I'm going to wait a while before repurchasing the 15 Pro Max.

As a side note, the 14 Pro Max has been solid as a rock on the new iOS - like really stable and cool.

Reactions: WarmWinterHat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.