Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021
Maybe wait for the software update that Apple just announced?

Who knew it might be a software issue only affecting some people!

Reactions: GuruZac

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
Hardwire clean installs every year upon new release of iOS/iPadOS, just do it. It has saved me many times from bugs.

There are even forum members that do this upon getting a new phone, that’s a dedication to freshness that exceeds my patience! 😂👍👍

My 13PM is several glitches as well with this new release…the .02 update has not fixed. I agree though, this release seems more buggy than usual.

Congrats on the new phone if you keep it. 1TB is a lot of treasured memories 👍👍🥳

Reactions: peaty_chosen0x

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Maybe wait for the software update that Apple just announced?

Who knew it might be a software issue only affecting some people!
To be honest I could handle the heat if the phone allowed me to share photos. My issue seems to just apply to me so I’m not thinking it will be fixed any time soon.

I sent a bug report to Apple after updating to the 17.1 beta - hope the Devs spot it and investigate.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Imagine spending 2k on 15 PM when you have a perfectly functioning 14 PM omegalul. As an AAPL owner let me thank you wholeheartedly.

Upgrading every year a mature product is beyond me. Don’t be fooled by marketing.
Do you upgrade yearly your microwave and fridge?
Anyway your money, your call
You nailed it. As I said in a previous post, FOMO is the culprit here. Upgrading every year has become a mandatory thing well nourished by the tech companies not only Apple. When you fall in this trap, then you fall for a long time. Your comparison with microwave and fridge is bulls eye. This issue is with no way out because it's happening between the ears. Like thinking you need a 85inch 3000 nits TV in a 3 1/2 apartment. Yu don't but one made you believe you did.

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Hardwire clean installs every year upon new release of iOS/iPadOS, just do it. It has saved me many times from bugs.

There are even forum members that do this upon getting a new phone, that’s a dedication to freshness that exceeds my patience! 😂👍👍

My 13PM is several glitches as well with this new release…the .02 update has not fixed. I agree though, this release seems more buggy than usual.

Congrats on the new phone if you keep it. 1TB is a lot of treasured memories 👍👍🥳
Sent it back but will likely buy again in maybe February when I can be more confident of both hardware and software issues being fixed.

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
EDIT: In response to the post from

Racineur

Hey, how on earth is FOMO the cause of hardware and software issues in a product?

Attachments

• IMG_0125.jpeg
    IMG_0125.jpeg
    642 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Reactions: aParkerMusic

Larabee119

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Looks like OP get a defective one. I don't have anything wrong happening to me or I'm just lucky.
By the way, removing the Instagram app helps me tremendously with the phone randomly getting warm and having bad battery life. It consumes more battery than the youtube app playing with 100% screen brightness + speaker. That's how terrible Instagram is.

WarmWinterHat

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2015

I don't seem to be having many issues 17.0.2, except with CarPlay. The play/pause quit working until I close whatever active music app I'm using.

I've never set my phone up as new and never had an issue. Continual upgrades since the 3g and iOS 3.

Reactions: zapmymac

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
My 15 gets hot doing basic stuff, like reading this forum on Tapatalk.

I hops this can be fix via software. In Spain we can’t return an iPhone after opened unless there’s an issue. I’m sure Apple technicians here won’t consider this overheating an issue.

mrmister

Suspended
Dec 19, 2008
You nailed it. As I said in a previous post, FOMO is the culprit here. Upgrading every year has become a mandatory thing well nourished by the tech companies not only Apple. When you fall in this trap, then you fall for a long time. Your comparison with microwave and fridge is bulls eye. This issue is with no way out because it's happening between the ears. Like thinking you need a 85inch 3000 nits TV in a 3 1/2 apartment. Yu don't but one made you believe you did.

Um...you do know there's an IUP that exists, so for a relatively small premium you can have the latest iphone? The idea that this is *CRaZy* isn't true—you do not need to buy a new iPhone every year to do this, you end up paying for about 1/2 an iphone a year...which means its like paying for an iphone every two years (an aggressive schedule but not crazy) but you always have the latest one.

Last edited:

DDustiNN

macrumors 68030
Jan 27, 2011
Looks like OP get a defective one. I don't have anything wrong happening to me or I'm just lucky.
By the way, removing the Instagram app helps me tremendously with the phone randomly getting warm and having bad battery life. It consumes more battery than the youtube app playing with 100% screen brightness + speaker. That's how terrible Instagram is.
Instagram just put out and update to fix the overheating issue and there will also be an iOS update soon.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Um...you do know there's an IUP that exists, so for a relatively small premium you can have the latest iphone? The idea that this is *CRaZy* isn't true—you do not need to buy a new iPhone every year to do this, you end up paying for about 1/2 an iphone a year...which means its like paying for an iphone every two years (an aggressive schedule but not crazy) but you always have the latest one.

I wouldn’t say it’s a small premium, it’s quite considerable when you consider 2 year contracts are often about £20 a month cheaper. Sure you don’t get a new phone every year, but not everybody wants that, I certainly wouldn’t. If the iUP rental scheme included a data plan, it might be more tempting. I looked into it a while back and I’d be paying £70 a month at least. I pay £40 all in at the moment.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I wouldn’t say it’s a small premium, it’s quite considerable when you consider 2 year contracts are often about £20 a month cheaper. Sure you don’t get a new phone every year, but not everybody wants that, I certainly wouldn’t. If the iUP rental scheme included a data plan, it might be more tempting. I looked into it a while back and I’d be paying £70 a month at least. I pay £40 all in at the moment.

Actually here the IUP is pretty much the same as the 24 month, interest-free purchase plan through Apple. It’s a few dollars more, but AppleCare+ is added and included in the monthly cost (or at least it was the last time I did the upgrade plan). Both require tax be paid up front.

Going through a carrier you get a better monthly price, but it’s usually based on a 30-36 months payment plan instead of 24.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Actually here the IUP is pretty much the same as the 24 month, interest-free purchase plan through Apple. It’s a few dollars more, but AppleCare+ is added and included in the monthly cost (or at least it was the last time I did the upgrade plan). Both require tax be paid up front.

Going through a carrier you get a better monthly price, but it’s usually based on a 30-36 months payment plan instead of 24.

Contracts are much cheaper in the UK then by the sounds of it.

mrmister

Suspended
Dec 19, 2008
Contracts are much cheaper in the UK then by the sounds of it.

Correct. If you do want to upgrade every two years, it's not that different to use the IUP and get it every year. It's definitely not as hyperbolicly extravagant in the US as the poster I was commenting on is making it out to be.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I upgraded my 12 Pro Max last year to a 14 Pro Max because:
1. My X had horrible battery life in the 3rd year and though it was a smaller phone (no Max that year) I didn't want to wait for the 15 and have that issue.
2. I had decided that every 2 years would be a good plan.
3. And this one is really important - I didn't want the USB C 15 so I got the 14 knowing that was likely coming.

I didn't upgrade again this year because:
1. The 15 doesn't feel like much more than a 14S. I was underwhelmed by the upgrade.
2. I was happy to get the last gen Lightning and ride that out a bit longer.
3. With all the heat report issues, glad I didn't.
4. I love the solid feel of my PM14 and don't find the edges sharp. The lighter weight and smoother edges are not calling to me.

I may skip the 16 next year as I would be curious how much of an upgrade it will be and the battery size on my 14PM is much larger than my X was, so I'm hopeful a 3rd year will be acceptable.

However, I am really hoping that 2025 is when Apple brings a foldable to market, at which point I would be looking to upgrade.

Kierkegaarden

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2018
My 15 gets hot doing basic stuff, like reading this forum on Tapatalk.

I hops this can be fix via software. In Spain we can’t return an iPhone after opened unless there’s an issue. I’m sure Apple technicians here won’t consider this overheating an issue.
Is this a blanket return rule in Spain, or does it only apply to Apple? The issues appear to be software related, but I’m surprised there isn’t some kind of return policy.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
I get it friend but what I don't is "why have a new phone every 1-2 year" if not for FOMO (said it again). The IUP has been established by Apple to make you renew your iPhone every year. To me, renewing every year is plain stupid, It doesn't proceed from the need of doing so. In a nutshell, I'm saying I understand the process of wanting the newer and last novelty when it goes out on sale but in a way I despise the concept. Maybe beacause I was much into it before...

• Sad
Reactions: ibookemo

jsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
It’s exactly like a beta but they had to crossover somewhere, so am glad it was thos model cause I want to get the 16 and should be ready for release by then.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Is this a blanket return rule in Spain, or does it only apply to Apple? The issues appear to be software related, but I’m surprised there isn’t some kind of return policy.

It applies to all tech mostly. You can’t buy a phone and then return it because you didn’t like it. You can do so with TVs, for example, but only in a few retailers.

We can only ask for a refund if there’s a hardware defect.

Kierkegaarden

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2018
It applies to all tech mostly. You can’t buy a phone and then return it because you didn’t like it. You can do so with TVs, for example, but only in a few retailers.

We can only ask for a refund if there’s a hardware defect.
Is this only in Spain or throughout the EU? I wonder if Costco or Amazon have different policies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.