Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68040
Dec 3, 2016
USA
The voice of reason - thank you sir. If a product is very expensive, it should deliver a great experience out of the box. I don't have the words 'Apple Technician' written on my jacket - I don't pay them a large amount of money for the opportunity to fix their product issues. Sheesh.
So one takes the misbehaving device to someone with the words 'Apple Technician' written on their jacket. Easy-peasy, no charge, no drama necessary. Sheesh.

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
I actually really love my new iPhone 15 Pro Max - the new photo capabilities and lighter design have me won over...I really want to keep it and use it as my actual phone. After a week of use though I think the software, from my experience, is a buggy mess which has spoiled the user experience.

I purchased the highest storage 1TB Pro Max - I take a lot of family photos so need the space. The new features in the Photos app are very valuable - I'm able to get 'live' pics with a portrait effect, marvellous!

Unfortunately I've been plagued by the following bugs:
- Half the time I actually can't share photos, they get stuck forever at the 'preparing' dialog.
- The 'preparing' photos bug also applies when I try to take them into a third party app to edit.
- When I'm editing in the Photos app, it gets very slow and hot. Like it will take 15 seconds for the crop tool to appear after I tap it, that kind of thing. The Photos app seems littered with 'edge case' bugs.
- The phone randomly gets warm which can make it drop maybe 8% battery for no reason, it's terrible.

What really highlights these bugs to me is the fact that I still have my iPhone 14 Pro Max set up and it performs all the tasks I try on the new phone without any hesitation or heat.

It basically feels like in switching to the 1TB 15 Pro Max from the previous one I'm paying €2000 for a buggy, unreliable downgrade - not a smart move really.

I do think that this is all software related and will likely get sorted out by January or so but why use a buggy phone for a few months in the interim? The random heat will have a knock-on effect on the battery, I don't want that.

I honestly think I'll re-purchase the iPhone 15 Pro Max maybe in February or so when it's got the software issues fixed - I love the phone. I think Apple need to rethink how they release new phones, the software needs to be more solid. The bugs I'm seeing are show-stoppers to me. I get a new iPhone every year and have never sent one back - this is an unhappy first.

Good hardware is only half the story, Apple needs less buggy software to support it. The iPhone 15 Pro Max feels like buying a new Porsche 911 which won't go into reverse. It's almost great...but the bug is a showstopper, so annoying really.

EDIT: I've also actually even installed the new beta of iOS 17.1 - it solves none of my problems. I've submitted bug reports to Apple.

EDIT 2: I’ve tried wiping the phone and setting it up fresh, not from an iCloud backup - to see if the backup was corrupted. This didn’t fix the issue.

Originally I used an iCloud backup.

17.1 doesn’t even solve anything, well Apple may not care much about user but just focusing on releasing PS5 pricing AAA games and vision pro then? New Samsung S21 FE is just $350 here which is less than 1/3 price of pro max, it does not even overheat, I think I should try it out first.

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
You should ! If budget android phones are on your list, flagship iOS devices shouldn’t be

Flagship iOS now means overheat, super buggy, unknown problems, may be even hardware problem that can never be solved. Apple thinks users are just free money makers for them then I would choose not to be on this IOS users list.

• Haha
Reactions: OneBar

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
Flagship iOS now means overheat, super buggy, unknown problems, may be even hardware problem that can never be solved. Apple thinks users are just free money makers for them then I would choose not to be on this IOS users list.
Just like it does every year.........

SYCAMOREGRAD

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Indianapolis
It sounds like something has gone badly wrong with this phone. Corrupted/faulty storage perhaps?

I've got the same phone - I've taken hundreds of photos this week and edited dozens (both in the Photos app and in Photomator and Lightroom) and I've not seen anything remotely like the four issues you mention. I've also read and watched an embarrassing number of reviews about the phone this week, and none I've seen mentioned the kind of extreme hangs/delays you're getting. This combination of personal experience and reviews makes me think it's more likely to be something idiosyncratic to your phone, rather than general 'iOS 17 is not ready' stuff.

Personally, I would try wipe and do a fresh install, and failing that, return and exchange before I returned it for good. But I understand the frustration - it's an expensive product and you want it work.
I agree. Sounds like maybe a bad a17Pro chip. If anything is funky, maybe it was a bad egg. I’d exchange it and try again. If re-installing doesn’t help. Or maybe set up as a new iPhone?

rubikwizard

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2023
FFS This debate goes on every year a new model is released ... 🥱Get a life. If you don't like it then don't buy or use it. Simple.

FWIW I have a 15 Pro Max and have had no issues whatsoever ...

Reactions: MacCheetah3

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
The arrogance of those who deny even the slightest possibility of faulty units being shipped is beyond astonishing.
Not for me. Apple has always done a good job at making future buyers believing their products are infaillible. Still I am an Apple products user. iPad, iPhone, iMac, Watch. The thing is, I jumped off the bandwagon thinking I need the last iProduct. An iPhone 11, an SE 2 watch, an Intel iMac, an Air 2021 iPad and even a Mini 4 do the job. But I understand many have immense needs like gaining 0,1234 second in opening apps...FOMO you know. Now bash me please.

Reactions: HackMacDaddy

BellSystem

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
Because they have stock set aside for situations like this one.
It’s not stock set aside, it’s a “service part”. It’s a separate sku, separate packaging. Service replacements do not impact normal stock. That’s why you can’t get a same day phone replacement when they run out and are still selling standard stock phones.

Davidnguyen_89

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2021
lucky i wont get mines until Mid-november to fix out the bugs/issues. as for those who purchased on release day or online good luck. if the bugs still continue might as well return it for a refund and wait 3-4 months and buy again in january/feb.

Reactions: ibookemo

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2019
It’s not stock set aside, it’s a “service part”. It’s a separate sku, separate packaging
Nope, the store keeps stock of normal, sellable SKUs for exchanges of defective devices (not offered for preference-based exchanges) right around launch. My store used to keep them in the safe, not sure where they keep them now. They keep them in a different inventory bucket so as to not show available for purchase.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I have no problems returning it. I'm still waiting, ETA is still November 8.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
He's not the only one.

I'm anxiously awaiting my 15 Pro Max, I should get it on Monday, and I hope I don't get one of the Lemon Editions.
Mine came in while I was on a trip this week. Got home today and set it up this evening. Typing on it now.

No issues thus far and barely got warm while loading up and indexing all my apps.

Setup went perfectly - updated then transferred from my 14 pro. All working fine as of now.

Reactions: bevsb2 and Rafagon

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
An odd one as it persists on both a fresh install and one from an iCloud backup. Both involve using my Photos backup from iCloud which is 46,000 photos large.
After some research, I wonder if it is/was some iCloud syncing/caching glitch/bug.

Four years old and no follow-up, but the OP mentions upgrading to a higher iCloud storage tier before the problem started/occurred.

And this troubleshooting how-to related to iCloud Photos:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.