Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
After some research, I wonder if it is/was some iCloud syncing/caching glitch/bug.

Four years old and no follow-up, but the OP mentions upgrading to a higher iCloud storage tier before the problem started/occurred.

And this troubleshooting how-to related to iCloud Photos:

The issue certainly could be iCloud related, I thought so too. I've been on the biggest iCloud storage plan for over a year now so no change made to that recently.

Funny that the same iCloud account has zero issues with my 14 Pro Max though which is completely bug-free and running through all the photo tasks (that choked the 15 Pro Max) like a dream.

Whatever the bug is, it only affects the 15 hardware, not the 14. Both are running the exact same backup of apps and settings.

If anything, this has demonstrated to me how much life the 14 Pro Max has left in it. My battery is at 97% after a year and it never really heats up unlike the new handset.

Going back to the 14 feels like getting a new phone after a week of frustration troubleshooting the 15. Funny how that worked out.

The initial user experience with a brand new product is so important. When the user feels like they have received a ‘lemon’, their appetite and desire for the product evaporates massively. I currently equate the 15 Pro Max with bugs and heat-up issues - that’s a pretty poor perception.

The saving grace is that Apple actually made such a good product with the 14 Pro Max - it shows me that they can actually have great releases. I might actually skip a generation for the first time ever.

Reactions: closet geek

Lwii2boo

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Paris, France
Imagine spending 2k on 15 PM when you have a perfectly functioning 14 PM omegalul. As an AAPL owner let me thank you wholeheartedly.

Upgrading every year a mature product is beyond me. Don’t be fooled by marketing.
Do you upgrade yearly your microwave and fridge?
Anyway your money, your call

Surfsalot

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2023
Considering they don’t do anything different I would have to agree lol
$2200AUD here, my tv was $2k 3 years ago haven’t replaced it.
Apple are the masters of brainwashing haha

• Wow
Reactions: ibookemo

newen

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2023
Imagine spending 2k on 15 PM when you have a perfectly functioning 14 PM omegalul. As an AAPL owner let me thank you wholeheartedly.

Upgrading every year a mature product is beyond me. Don’t be fooled by marketing.
Imagine sticking with an outdated charging port, while iP15 and every Android users enjoy USB-C...

dan428

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
Every new iOS is buggy at first (true for any new software in general really). I would fully expect that, fortunately they release updates pretty quickly in the weeks after.

dantay

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2006
UK
I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing so many issues with your new iPhone 15 Pro Max. It can be disappointing when a new device doesn't live up to expectations. From what you've described, it seems like there may be software-related issues causing the problems you're facing. It's good that you've already submitted bug reports to Apple.

Some other users on the forum have mentioned that they haven't encountered the same issues, so it's possible that there may be an issue specific to your device. One suggestion given by a user was to try wiping your phone and doing a fresh install to see if that resolves the problems. If that doesn't work, they recommend returning and exchanging the device before considering returning it for good.

It's understandable that you're frustrated, especially considering the price of the phone. While it's unfortunate that you're having a negative experience with this particular device, it's worth noting that software bugs can be fixed in future updates. It seems like you still have faith in the iPhone 15 Pro Max and plan to repurchase it once the software issues are resolved. Hopefully, Apple will address these issues soon so that you can fully enjoy the capabilities of the device.

Are you an Apple service bot……that joined yesterday giving such sage advice?!

Xials

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2007
I don't think it's triggering, rather it's common sense. If you have a phone with loads of issues and other people think it doesn't sound right compared to their experiences, just get it replaced in the first instance.
His comment triggered you. That’s all triggering is. It “triggers” a response. Usually emotional.

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton
Wait a few months later and decide again. Maybe you won’t even feel the need/want to buy the phone again.

LOL at all the suggestions from others to troubleshoot the a very expensive phone from a company that sells devices that people say “it just works”.
Because it’s so difficult to make a call from your couch? Apple could likely determine if it’s hardware or software. If it’s hardware they could arrange a replacement.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022

$2000 is nothing to some people. To some it is like you buying a tank of gas.

andrew1995

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2013
Apple stores have a contingent reserved for in-store replacements, as far as I know. Apparently Apple does not have such a contingent reserved for replacing lost shipments of online orders. Apple stores are like a separate operation with respect to iPhone allotments.
no they don't. I've just been to replace mine and they literally have 0 available

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
My pro max is perfect. No heat (barely warmed when I was transferring data), great display, no issues so far (just set up last night but I’ve played with quite a few apps and the camera to check everything out).

My only issue right now is not being sure I can get used to the size. It didn’t seem bad at all when I was setting it up, but after doing my usual reading in bed and stuff, it became noticeably larger and heavier. It’s not really much heavier on paper than my 14 pro though, so I’m gonna mess with it a good bit the next couple days and see if I feel like I’m getting used to it.

It is a beautiful device for sure.

klasma

macrumors 604
Jun 8, 2017
no they don't. I've just been to replace mine and they literally have 0 available
Not anymore, probably. They only have finite supply. Other forum members have reported that they got replacements, and that’s how it’s been for many years.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah, it doesn’t seem like your issues are widespread, so I think you just have a bad iphone. I wouldn’t wait until February, I’d bring your iphone down to an Apple Store immediately, show them the bugs, and get it exchanged for a new one. Problem solved. 👍🏼

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
Imagine sticking with an outdated charging port, while iP15 and every Android users enjoy USB-C...
Not a big deal. I use MagSafe and so do a lot of other people so they’re USB-C charging port doesn’t mean anything substantial.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
I actually really love my new iPhone 15 Pro Max - the new photo capabilities and lighter design have me won over...I really want to keep it and use it as my actual phone. After a week of use though I think the software, from my experience, is a buggy mess which has spoiled the user experience.

I purchased the highest storage 1TB Pro Max - I take a lot of family photos so need the space. The new features in the Photos app are very valuable - I'm able to get 'live' pics with a portrait effect, marvellous!

Unfortunately I've been plagued by the following bugs:
- Half the time I actually can't share photos, they get stuck forever at the 'preparing' dialog.
- The 'preparing' photos bug also applies when I try to take them into a third party app to edit.
- When I'm editing in the Photos app, it gets very slow and hot. Like it will take 15 seconds for the crop tool to appear after I tap it, that kind of thing. The Photos app seems littered with 'edge case' bugs.
- The phone randomly gets warm which can make it drop maybe 8% battery for no reason, it's terrible.

What really highlights these bugs to me is the fact that I still have my iPhone 14 Pro Max set up and it performs all the tasks I try on the new phone without any hesitation or heat.

It basically feels like in switching to the 1TB 15 Pro Max from the previous one I'm paying €2000 for a buggy, unreliable downgrade - not a smart move really.

I do think that this is all software related and will likely get sorted out by January or so but why use a buggy phone for a few months in the interim? The random heat will have a knock-on effect on the battery, I don't want that.

I honestly think I'll re-purchase the iPhone 15 Pro Max maybe in February or so when it's got the software issues fixed - I love the phone. I think Apple need to rethink how they release new phones, the software needs to be more solid. The bugs I'm seeing are show-stoppers to me. I get a new iPhone every year and have never sent one back - this is an unhappy first.

Good hardware is only half the story, Apple needs less buggy software to support it. The iPhone 15 Pro Max feels like buying a new Porsche 911 which won't go into reverse. It's almost great...but the bug is a showstopper, so annoying really.

EDIT: I've also actually even installed the new beta of iOS 17.1 - it solves none of my problems. I've submitted bug reports to Apple.

EDIT 2: I’ve tried wiping the phone and setting it up fresh, not from an iCloud backup - to see if the backup was corrupted. This didn’t fix the issue.

Originally I used an iCloud backup.
It is very unfortunate that you experienced these kind of issues which made you unhappy. Wish well on your decision!

DDustiNN

macrumors 68030
Jan 27, 2011
I haven’t had any of these issues with my 15 Pro. My biggest issue is messages not being searchable which is driving me crazy.

rgeneral

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
I actually really love my new iPhone 15 Pro Max - the new photo capabilities and lighter design have me won over...I really want to keep it and use it as my actual phone. After a week of use though I think the software, from my experience, is a buggy mess which has spoiled the user experience.

I purchased the highest storage 1TB Pro Max - I take a lot of family photos so need the space. The new features in the Photos app are very valuable - I'm able to get 'live' pics with a portrait effect, marvellous!

Unfortunately I've been plagued by the following bugs:
- Half the time I actually can't share photos, they get stuck forever at the 'preparing' dialog.
- The 'preparing' photos bug also applies when I try to take them into a third party app to edit.
- When I'm editing in the Photos app, it gets very slow and hot. Like it will take 15 seconds for the crop tool to appear after I tap it, that kind of thing. The Photos app seems littered with 'edge case' bugs.
- The phone randomly gets warm which can make it drop maybe 8% battery for no reason, it's terrible.

What really highlights these bugs to me is the fact that I still have my iPhone 14 Pro Max set up and it performs all the tasks I try on the new phone without any hesitation or heat.

It basically feels like in switching to the 1TB 15 Pro Max from the previous one I'm paying €2000 for a buggy, unreliable downgrade - not a smart move really.

I do think that this is all software related and will likely get sorted out by January or so but why use a buggy phone for a few months in the interim? The random heat will have a knock-on effect on the battery, I don't want that.

I honestly think I'll re-purchase the iPhone 15 Pro Max maybe in February or so when it's got the software issues fixed - I love the phone. I think Apple need to rethink how they release new phones, the software needs to be more solid. The bugs I'm seeing are show-stoppers to me. I get a new iPhone every year and have never sent one back - this is an unhappy first.

Good hardware is only half the story, Apple needs less buggy software to support it. The iPhone 15 Pro Max feels like buying a new Porsche 911 which won't go into reverse. It's almost great...but the bug is a showstopper, so annoying really.

EDIT: I've also actually even installed the new beta of iOS 17.1 - it solves none of my problems. I've submitted bug reports to Apple.

EDIT 2: I’ve tried wiping the phone and setting it up fresh, not from an iCloud backup - to see if the backup was corrupted. This didn’t fix the issue.

Originally I used an iCloud backup.
You got a lemon. Just swap it for another one. It happens to everything.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
Please don't return your phone... You will regret it because there are people who are dying to get the remaining iPhone 15 Pro Max inventory right now! I myself would die for any 15 Pro Max 256GB model since I am in Japan and the inventory is scarce here.

It's just a phone. Sounds like he has a dud. Return is appropriate.

Seriously, all these newish phones basically do the same things. There's little reason for most to upgrade.

Then buyer's remorse comes into play as you realize that you've just blown a small hole in your bank account for some very temporary pleasure involved in getting a new gadget that you realize doesn't really make you happier.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Honestly my suspicion is this is entirely related to iCloud photo storage, your location (in relation to Apple's servers), internet speed, and how long you give the device to setup. I have a 1Gbps internet connection, and ~1TB of photos in iCloud, I was fully setup within the first day.

But overnight, I left my phone on the charger, where it sat and went through and indexed every photo in my library for face metadata.

If you have a slower internet connection, larger iCloud photo libraries, don't charge overnight and instead repeatedly plug in during the day to "top off" I think those are the only users seeing heat issues, because the CPU is trying to ramp up to do a huge task whenever it gets a sip of juice (Downloading/storing/processing/deleting every photo in iCloud)

I'd also suspect the reason could be users coming from a 14 pro who have been taking 48MP raw images and storing them in iCloud, which means increased download and processing time for each photo, not to mention video files.

And basically...they'd be fine if they wait a few days. But here we are, only 8 days from launch with people returning, likely to run into the same "issue" months from now...

Really it is likely just a visibility issue. Apple likes to pretend things "just work", but in the case of the phone indexing, it should provide a notification that it is happening and to expect reduced performance (And add the ability to pause till later...)

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Your theory sounds ok BUT I set up a 14 Pro Max at the same time from the same backup on the same WIFI with zero issues. How would your theory explain that?

The only factor that was different was the iPhone model. It’s a fair test that suggests a software/hardware issue with the 15 Pro Max.

It’s either a lemon phone or iOS has an edge case bug which only presents on the new hardware.

This is probably straightforward enough for Apple to fix…I’m not paying money to use an unfinished/not fully tested product in the meantime.

Krypton Deer

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
After a week of use though I think the software, from my experience, is a buggy mess which has spoiled the user experience.
You paid $2000 for a flagship phone and are right to expect smooth transition and improvements over previous device. If it's buggy for you, of course return it. I personally prefer buying iPhone around Feb so critical bugs and whatever gates are mostly resolved or reported.

The issue certainly could be iCloud related
It may just be one bugged setting for the iOS + 15 Pro Max + 1TB + RAW photos combo. Sometimes there is nothing you can do until a few iOS updates down the road. In my experience, I find iCloud to be slightly less reliable than G Drive and OneDrive. Nothing too crazy but there are quirks.
  1. Deleted imessages sometimes come back. If I select "disable and delete" messages in iCloud, it returns "error: unable to update iCloud settings at this time" always.
  2. iCloud email never push notify on iPhone for me (since ~2 years ago)
  3. In Manage Account Storage, I have several apps that have undeletable data. I can go in and select "delete data from iCloud", confirm permanently delete and the data will stay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.