Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Its very similar in thickness to the current ones so I don't know why people are losing their minds so much. Its literally the way they have tapered it in the current gen that makes it look so thin.

Personally I much prefer the look of the old one but its a work machine and I'm sure in person it will still look great.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
I think there is definitely room now for a large MacBook Air.

A 15 inch MacBook Air, with slim bezels and an M1 or M2, so it's even smaller than the 2016 Intel 15 inch models, would suit a lot of people who want the larger screen size but also want a bit more portability and... style.

I am very much looking forward to getting my 16 inch M1 Max MBP, but not for its looks!

Style? They're throwing that out the window with white bezels.

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Just shows how brilliant Ive was/is even though his quest for thinness above all crippled the recent machines.
I feel like he’s left and the pendulum has swung a little too far back towards the engineers with this iteration (maximise volume with a purely rectangular design)
Designing without worrying about function is not "brilliance" its poor design. If an item is purely aesthetic then sure, go all out but when it comes to something like a laptop, the functionality has to overrule design.

I love the design of the last generation of macbooks and I had no issue with the complete lack of ports outside of USB-C but I did have a big issue with a 16" computer that costs a small fortune that is completely thermally unsuitable for sustained workloads.

boak

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2021
the lid on the 15" and previous intel macs always had that curved design like the imac...the margins of the lid very very thin but in the middle thicker
here its flat from the edge to the middle, very clean lines
I still think the lid is thicker tbh, just like how the iPad Pro became thicker when it got mini-LED.

Reactions: childu

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Here's the thing tho. You can't have a good cooling capacity without it being thicker. Idk about you guys but I'm very happy that Apple made it a little thicker to accommodate better cooling solutions. It is a pro machine after all. .

I usually don't defend Apple that much but. Like what do we want Apple to do tho? They got us slim design (physics Made it less good in the cooling) and people cry that the cooling isn't good enough for pro machine etc. Now apple is trying to add better cooling (which in physics means more thicker) and people want slim laptops .

Kasco45

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2021
Appears like the slightly lower vent on the back hinge (shown in the other unboxing video) finally allows the Macbook to breathe in clamshell mode instead of the hinge totally blocking airflow.

Reactions: smoking monkey

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
I still think the lid is thicker tbh, just like how the iPad Pro became thicker when it got mini-LED.
overall ofc its thicker to place the 1080p and mini_led and its flat all the way around
But dont get misleading comparing just the edges...because if you do you think its a lot thinner the 15"

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Love that Apple makes the consumer macbook thinner and lighter and the pro model thicker
I expect that from the bigger imac to be thicker than the 24 "

Last edited:

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
That is thick. Going to hang on to my 2019 15.4" for awhile longer. I did order the 14" M1 Pro though!

childu

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Same. People are being ridiculous to not understand that in order to put in all of the new incredible features there needs to be a chassis capable of sustaining all that…
Incredibile features like an Hdmi 2.0 and a 1080p camera in 2021?

Last edited:

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
I am sorry. That's just my personal opinion. But I really don't find it good looking. In fact I find Apple really lazy. Now I am not saying: oh change the design every two years like some cheap Windows laptop. But geez. My Powerbook G4 looked exactly the same (except for the keyboard). And that was 15+ years ago. It's also gotten quite thick and big. Irrelevant when used as a pseudo-desktop. But for people who actually take it out every day, I honestly find it too big and too thick compared the 15 and 16"ers of yesteryear.

I'm not sure how the design is lazy? It's pretty clear that it's thicker for good reasons, not just because Apple decided 'eh, screw it, we can't be bothered to make it thin'. It's also kinda weird that you sound like you're implying that they haven't changed the design in years.

I get not finding it attractive, just your logic is odd.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
I'm not sure how the design is lazy? It's pretty clear that it's thicker for good reasons, not just because Apple decided 'eh, screw it, we can't be bothered to make it thin'. It's also kinda weird that you sound like you're implying that they haven't changed the design in years.

I get not finding it attractive, just your logic is odd.
Plus a thin laptop is not a good design because as we saw with the touch bar MacBook pros they were terrible at cooling. I had a 16" i9 model, it kept overheating all the time and the fans kept running all the time. A laptop needs to be somewhat thick to keep the internal parts cool.

Reactions: BlindBandit
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.