Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
Mmm, all this talking about thickness. But thickness alone is irrelevant as it is a single dimension. The metric that really matters is volume. And by keeping the thickness as it was before (approximately) while at the same time removing the tapering towards the edges, what Apple has done is to create more volume.
More volume means more space for cooling, more space for batteries and this all without increasing the footprint on your desk or in your bag. I would call that a win win!
OK it looks chunkier to the eye, but it does not take more space in the 3d world (tapers waste space) and results in a better machine. And all this with barely any increase in weight.
So if you are a pro and want a better tool for your trade then this probably is it.

Reactions: tdbrown75

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
Because the old design is brilliant, keeping the thickness, while making it look prettier. Isn’t that what designers are supposed to do? The first macbook air is not really that thin by today’s standards, but Apple made it look thin, and ppl loved it. The new iMac is a lot thinner, but it just doesn’t look like it compared to the old design. If all your senses are telling you it looks thicker, then what’s the meaning of making it thinner on the engineering’s perspective?

I find it interesting when people say they like the new design because “thick means better airflow”, except the machine is not really thicker. And if the machine is not thicker, why do we have to make it look thick and objectively uglier. Is that a good design? Not to say from Apple.
You do not seem to understand the principles of 3d. Thickness is a single dimension. Volume is what matters!!

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
You do not seem to understand the principles of 3d. Thickness is a single dimension. Volume is what matters!!
The old tapered design only loses a very small amount of volume. It get the full depth/thickness about 2 center meters in.

arvinsim

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2018
I think people really need to think if they need portability. I think Apple segmented the Macbooks for portability(14") and the highest performance desktop(16")

Reactions: ascender

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I don’t really get the hate tbh, I think the new design is a perfect compromise of form and function. I find it to look very sleek and premium.

The deign is too utilitarian in my opinion.

For a while I was a notch apologetic yet it doesn’t need to be there. Yes I get the hardware they’ve implemented with the 4-element lens but moving the display further down could’ve easily be done to negate a notch at the top.

All of those that screamed for small bezels this is what we got terrible design.

This looks like a windows laptop and it’s just yuck. I want the performance but would rather a much sleeker design without compromising a proper reliable working keyboard. Not giving us HMDI 2.1 and a faster SD card standard was lazy. I think next years iteration hopefully rids is of the notch but at least faster legacy ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.