Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
I don’t really get the hate tbh, I think the new design is a perfect compromise of form and function. I find it to look very sleek and premium.
Compromise is not a word we should be looking from Apple. This word has appeared more and more when we talk about their products. That is not the reason I like and buy Apple products

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
overall ofc its thicker to place the 1080p and mini_led and its flat all the way around
But dont get misleading comparing just the edges...because if you do you think its a lot thinner the 15"
Its very similar in thickness to the current ones so I don't know why people are losing their minds so much. Its literally the way they have tapered it in the current gen that makes it look so thin.

Personally I much prefer the look of the old one but its a work machine and I'm sure in person it will still look great.
Because the old design is brilliant, keeping the thickness, while making it look prettier. Isn’t that what designers are supposed to do? The first macbook air is not really that thin by today’s standards, but Apple made it look thin, and ppl loved it. The new iMac is a lot thinner, but it just doesn’t look like it compared to the old design. If all your senses are telling you it looks thicker, then what’s the meaning of making it thinner on the engineering’s perspective?

I find it interesting when people say they like the new design because “thick means better airflow”, except the machine is not really thicker. And if the machine is not thicker, why do we have to make it look thick and objectively uglier. Is that a good design? Not to say from Apple.

Techwatcher

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
NYC
Thanks for posting this. The notch seems to disappear completely when you turn the menu bar into pure black, the miniLED helps there!
Exactly. That's why Apple did it this way. That's also why you probably don't notice the notch on the iPhone in many situations because of the OLED blacks. People just need to relax and realize it's not a big deal lol.

Reactions: 3Rock

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
Here's the thing tho. You can't have a good cooling capacity without it being thicker. Idk about you guys but I'm very happy that Apple made it a little thicker to accommodate better cooling solutions. It is a pro machine after all. .

I usually don't defend Apple that much but. Like what do we want Apple to do tho? They got us slim design (physics Made it less good in the cooling) and people cry that the cooling isn't good enough for pro machine etc. Now apple is trying to add better cooling (which in physics means more thicker) and people want slim laptops .
except physically it is thinner, which is a fact. It just looks thicker. Basically it is both a loss for the people who want thickness, and a loss for people who want aesthetics. It might be a great machine, but definitely not a great design.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
Thanks for posting this. The notch seems to disappear completely when you turn the menu bar into pure black, the miniLED helps there!
Except it is not. You don’t really notice a display being pure black until you go to somewhere dimmer. From the Apple event, the top area where the menu bar resides does NOT have mini leds there. The menu bar is probably lighten up by the leds below them. And you know mini leds will still have blooming right? Menu bar is too thin to not be affected here.

childu

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
…You’re joking, right?
and you? List all the “incredible features “ you are talking about. You are not happy about the hdmi 2.0(no 2.1) and the 1080 camera, so maybe you are talking about The magsafe (forever ago), or possibly the Apple silicon (already there with the previous design), the notch without FaceID (at least in 2017 iPhone had it for that reason). Got it, it’s the SD card slot that supports UHS-III, ops it’s UHS-II.

There is nothing incredible, it’s a compromise. Incredible is making everything better without adding weight or size.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
and you? List all the “incredible features “ you are talking about. You are not happy about the hdmi 2.0(no 2.1) and the 1080 camera, so maybe you are talking about The magsafe (forever ago), or possibly the Apple silicon (already there with the previous design), the notch without FaceID (at least in 2017 iPhone had it for that reason). Got it, it’s the SD card slot that supports UHS-III, ops it’s UHS-II.

There is nothing incredible, it’s a compromise. Incredible is making everything better without adding weight or size.
exactly, I don’t know if I am the minority here, but I hate this new MacBook Pro. I support most of Apple’s decisions and products, but not this one. This new mbp does not look like an Apple product to me.

To anyone who don’t agree with me, it’s fine. I know there is a lot good things about this laptop, but I am talking about the philosophical side of it.

Reactions: childu

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
I am thinking dropping my pro title (heh) and look for a better looking macbook without the legacy ports in the future. I doubt it will ever happen. I want a slim looking design, I need at least 4 usb-c for my set up, and I want 120hz. I don’t see them ever happening together in the next 5 years from apple.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007

Compared to anything else apple offers today the MacBook pros was developed for professionals. It sounds like you don’t need a professional tool and that’s ok.

There is a reason why every tech blogger is drooling over the new MacBook pros. Enjoy the white plastic bezeled MacBook Air.

BJonson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
So when Apple put intel in the MacBook Pro they made it super thin and that chip needed more cooling but now that they have their super revolutionary M1 chip that is super energy effecient they make the MacBook Pro into a Alienware gaming laptop to cool it? I don't get it. If the new chip is so awesome and cool then they should be fine on the intel level cooling they used before. The reality is that it probably doesn't run cool and they need this cooling. Either way the new computers are stupid thick and the notch is super ugly but oh, we got an extra 1/4 inch of screen real estate. What you gonna do with that extra space? It might save you a line of scrolling and for that we get to look at the Hitler mustache everyday.

• Angry
Reactions: Kung gu and childu

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Because the old design is brilliant, keeping the thickness, while making it look prettier. Isn’t that what designers are supposed to do? The first macbook air is not really that thin by today’s standards, but Apple made it look thin, and ppl loved it. The new iMac is a lot thinner, but it just doesn’t look like it compared to the old design. If all your senses are telling you it looks thicker, then what’s the meaning of making it thinner on the engineering’s perspective?

I find it interesting when people say they like the new design because “thick means better airflow”, except the machine is not really thicker. And if the machine is not thicker, why do we have to make it look thick and objectively uglier. Is that a good design? Not to say from Apple.

I think you aren't understanding the issue here. An american football tapers massively from centre to the end. The maximum thickness is only in the middle but that is how thick it is. The fact that it tapers massively towards either end doesn't change its maximum thickness but it does massively change its volume. Thats the same with the macbook pros. I have no idea what the volume difference is between the old and the new macbook pros but I would wager that its not insignificant. By not tapering the edges to look thin they will have gained a fair chunk of volume to put things like battery, cooling, components, ports etc.

Does the old one look nicer and look thinner? Yes. IMO it does. Is it actually thinner. Not really and will you notice apart from visually? Probably not.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
So when Apple put intel in the MacBook Pro they made it super thin and that chip needed more cooling but now that they have their super revolutionary M1 chip that is super energy effecient they make the MacBook Pro into a Alienware gaming laptop to cool it? I don't get it. If the new chip is so awesome and cool then they should be fine on the intel level cooling they used before. The reality is that it probably doesn't run cool and they need this cooling. Either way the new computers are stupid thick and the notch is super ugly but oh, we got an extra 1/4 inch of screen real estate. What you gonna do with that extra space? It might save you a line of scrolling and for that we get to look at the Hitler mustache everyday.

Apple started making intel MBPs thinner when ports were removed. Before that, intel MBPs had basically the same thickness as these new MBPs.

DB294

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2021
I think you aren't understanding the issue here. An american football tapers massively from centre to the end. The maximum thickness is only in the middle but that is how thick it is. The fact that it tapers massively towards either end doesn't change its maximum thickness but it does massively change its volume. Thats the same with the macbook pros. I have no idea what the volume difference is between the old and the new macbook pros but I would wager that its not insignificant. By not tapering the edges to look thin they will have gained a fair chunk of volume to put things like battery, cooling, components, ports etc.

Does the old one look nicer and look thinner? Yes. IMO it does. Is it actually thinner. Not really and will you notice apart from visually? Probably not.
This is where I am too. While I want the machine to look good (and I'm fine with the way it looks overall), if a non-tapered form factor lets them thermal throttle less or fit a bigger battery, while allowing the machine to take up similar relative space in my bag when on the go, then a squared-off profile is the correct decision, especially if they are serious about the "pro" moniker.

pneves1975

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2018
Portugal
Apple started making intel MBPs thinner when ports were removed. Before that, intel MBPs had basically the same thickness as these new MBPs.
Exactly!!!

I am super "in love" with this 16" model. I never felt in love with the 13, it just looks wrong for me. Sure it is light and M1 does wonders, but horses for courses gentlemen. Its a tool, a powerful tool that if expectations of low emission heat and noise confirm it will be a winner. Best move Apple ever made was to ditch x86 with its dedicated graphics toasters or crippled Intel GPU. I "downgraded" from a 15 2018 to a 15 2015 without dedicated GPU because of this. I can plug an external monitor and still use the built-in keyboard and trackpad even in hot summer here in Portugal. The 2018 was cool on idle and no external monitor but a nightmare with something attached.

As for the design, I am sorry to all of the haters but I really prefer it to the previous one. It feels solid, it feels like a workhorse tool not a fashion utility computer. If you want something fashionable look somewhere else, this is for us professionals.

Thank you Apple, finally a machine I would make an effort to buy in the 3300-3500 euro levels that really makes sense. Hope to see more benchmarks, initial batches arriving and somewhere in the middle of next year I will upgrade. Super happy times!!!

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
So when Apple put intel in the MacBook Pro they made it super thin and that chip needed more cooling but now that they have their super revolutionary M1 chip that is super energy effecient they make the MacBook Pro into a Alienware gaming laptop to cool it? I don't get it
The Intel models 2006-2015 models were THICKER than the 2021 MBP but in 2016 Apple made them thinner as Intel promised 7nm in 2016 and also Apple only used USB-C ports in the 2016 era.

The M1 MBA has no fan and is still very powerful this speaks to power of M1 chips.

Reactions: BlindBandit

robinium

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2021
Compromise is not a word we should be looking from Apple. This word has appeared more and more when we talk about their products. That is not the reason I like and buy Apple products

Compromise is something everything which is subject to the laws of physics must consider. You can’t have it every way when the laws of physics must be obeyed.

If you want good battery life and a device which doesn’t run too hot, it needs to become slightly larger to accommodate better cooling and a bigger battery. As good as Apple are, they can’t violate the laws of physics, so they must compromise between form and function. The previous MBPs leaned too far in the form direction, at the expense of function. This device looks to be a perfect balance, from initial impressions.

Marty80

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
Do my eyes deceive me is the display housing thicker than the 2016 15” MacBook Pro.

If so why did they not bring back the glowing Apple logo. As they brought everything else back: MagSafe, HDMI & SD ports, even the start up chime.

I miss the glowing Apple, it would have made for an epic update for the anniversary.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Do my eyes deceive me is the display housing thicker than the 2016 15” MacBook Pro.

If so why did they not bring back the glowing Apple logo. As they brought everything else back: MagSafe, HDMI & SD ports, even the start up chime.

I miss the glowing Apple, it would have made for an epic update for the anniversary.
Someone over on Reddit said that it's due to the type of screen it is, because not all of it would be lit up at the same time.

I'm not an expert so I don't know if this is true, but if it is then it seems quite reasonable.

Reactions: smoking monkey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.