Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
This new one works all the time. The screen is more vibrant, but my 2014 seems brighter. But I remember getting my 2014 and thinking the one before that was brighter.
im starting to wonder if the screen gets brighter over time of use? or is that just crazy talk?

That's strange, since the new displays are supposed to be much brighter (500 nits vs 300 nits). Did you compare them when both were at full brightness with auto-brightness deactivated?

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I reckon it was probably something to do with their environmental commitments. Not sure a £20 cable is much of a cash grab for a company that large...
We’re talking about a company that also removed the micro fibre cleaning cloth to save a few pence per unit, I think it most definitely was a nickel and diming move. It’s almost understandable considering the pressure TC is under from Wall Street to make ever escalating profits, but it’s not good from a customer POV. Apple position themselves as a premium computer company, this sort of thing doesn’t go down well with people and creates bad will.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
We’re talking about a company that also removed the micro fibre cleaning cloth to save a few pence per unit, I think it most definitely was a nickel and diming move. It’s almost understandable considering the pressure TC is under from Wall Street to make ever escalating profits, but it’s not good from a customer POV. Apple position themselves as a premium computer company, this sort of thing doesn’t go down well with people and creates bad will.
In the auto industry, this is known as de-contenting. The first year model will have all the bells and whistles because the company needs the new model to be a success. After a couple of years, things start becoming options. For example, a new model might come with heated side mirrors standard. After a couple of years, heated mirrors become a $100 option.

Same thing happened with iPhones. My iPhone 2G came with an Apple iPhone stand in the box. It was the only model iPhone to come with the stand in the box. After that it was a $30-40 accessory (can’t remember exact price).

Same with early iPods. My iPod second gen 20GB model from 2002 came with a travel pouch for my iPod. The third gen removed this pouch from the box.

It’s a way to keep increasing profits on an existing design without having to really do anything. You just make what was standard optional.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
I'm confused - Are we talking past each other?

You said Appliances last longer and I replied saying that I'm still using 08 & 12 Macs, and am able to, specifically because they are not appliances that are not upgradable.

How viable do you think a 2016 MBP will be in 2023-2025 range?
(after about 12 keyboard replacements also)
Hah I’m agreeing with you about the new ones being unreliable appliances, your 08-12 models are definitely upgradeable with ram and storage upgrades that you could do. That’s why they’ve lasted so long. I’ll be curious to see how the 16-17 models are fairing in 4-5 years.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
In the auto industry, this is known as de-contenting. The first year model will have all the bells and whistles because the company needs the new model to be a success. After a couple of years, things start becoming options. For example, a new model might come with heated side mirrors standard. After a couple of years, heated mirrors become a $100 option.

Same thing happened with iPhones. My iPhone 2G came with an Apple iPhone stand in the box. It was the only model iPhone to come with the stand in the box. After that it was a $30-40 accessory (can’t remember exact price).

Same with early iPods. My iPod second gen 20GB model from 2002 came with a travel pouch for my iPod. The third gen removed this pouch from the box.

It’s a way to keep increasing profits on an existing design without having to really do anything. You just make what was standard optional.
I mean, the real crux of the issue is I would classify the length of cord as like selling a car with the fuel cap placed under the drivers pedals (that is to say deliberately obnoxiously inconvenient) and then charging to have it moved back to the usual place... if they wanted to save a bit of cash by only giving you the cable and removing the non cabled plug, that would be a reasonable move. But one that probably wouldn’t add to their profitability. Does anyone ordinarily use their charger with the plug only part rather than the extension for models which include both? I know I don’t...

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I mean, the real crux of the issue is I would classify the length of cord as like selling a car with the fuel cap placed under the drivers pedals (that is to say deliberately obnoxiously inconvenient) and then charging to have it moved back to the usual place... if they wanted to save a bit of cash by only giving you the cable and removing the non cabled plug, that would be a reasonable move. But one that probably wouldn’t add to their profitability. Does anyone ordinarily use their charger with the plug only part rather than the extension for models which include both? I know I don’t...

I use the extension cord when I need the extension cord, otherwise it goes straight into the plug. It's not like you can't use it without the extension cord, and if you wanted to be super cheap you could just use any old extension cord and plug the adapter straight into it. I dunno, maybe it is a way of increasing revenue, but it's not as if every single MBP owner buys one, it's also not a necessity to the function of charging, it was just nice/handy to have.

Maybe they ditched it to save weight/unit cost on the product? Maybe they should just charge $20 extra for the unit and put it in the box, then no one would complain as they wouldn't notice.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012

But wasn't the iPhone 3G half the price of the first iPhone? Having to buy the 40 buck dock separately sure sounds better than having to pay 600 bucks more for the phone in the first place. Same with the iPods - Apple included less and less accessories as the time went by, but the prices did go down.

Now yes, the MacBook Pros are more expensive than they previously were, but I don't consider an optional accessory priced at 20€ to be a problem. It's not like the pulled a Nintendo and don't include the charging brick or cable at all.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I use the extension cord when I need the extension cord, otherwise it goes straight into the plug. It's not like you can't use it without the extension cord, and if you wanted to be super cheap you could just use any old extension cord and plug the adapter straight into it. I dunno, maybe it is a way of increasing revenue, but it's not as if every single MBP owner buys one, it's also not a necessity to the function of charging, it was just nice/handy to have.

Maybe they ditched it to save weight/unit cost on the product? Maybe they should just charge $20 extra for the unit and put it in the box, then no one would complain as they wouldn't notice.
Now there’s an idea; though they could omit the non extension plug to offset at least some of that cost too, I expect. I know for me I never bother taking the longer lead off, I don’t really see the point of the attachment that lets you plug the brick directly into the wall, horribly clunky having such a large adapter hanging out of the wall.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
But wasn't the iPhone 3G half the price of the first iPhone? Having to buy the 40 buck dock separately sure sounds better than having to pay 600 bucks more for the phone in the first place. Same with the iPods - Apple included less and less accessories as the time went by, but the prices did go down.

Now yes, the MacBook Pros are more expensive than they previously were, but I don't consider an optional accessory priced at 20€ to be a problem. It's not like the pulled a Nintendo and don't include the charging brick or cable at all.
The iPhone 2G started at 500/600. After two months, prices were dropped to 300/400. In January 2008, storage was doubled at the 300/400 price points (from 4/8GB to 8/16GB). When the iPhone 3G was released, it was released under the subsidized model so one paid the 200/300 upfront, and paid the rest via a higher phone bill over the next two years.
[doublepost=1511973489][/doublepost]
I already said in an earlier post (I think in this thread) that I don't get the removal of the extension cord from the power supply base. Sure, I have a few from earlier Apple laptops so it doesn't affect me, but if I didn't have those previous extension cords lying around I'd be ticked to pony up 20 bucks to get one.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Straw man argument...

You do not need a portable iMac, you just need a 2015 form factor laptop (which nobody found cumbersome) with a 99.5 Wh battery.
Problem solved. And, as an added benefit, you could also have had a SD card reader and some USBA ports for nowadays-compatibility.

Exactly, as opposed to the current neutered dongle inspired mess, with auto fail keyboard. Once Apple had a great line up of notebook's ultra portable, mid range and pro/pronsumer.

Today Apple offers thin, thinner or outdated and overpriced, coupled with a propensity to nickel & dime it's customers at every possible opportunity...

Q-6

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Exactly, as opposed to the current neutered dongle inspired mess, with auto fail keyboard. Once Apple had a great line up of notebook's ultra portable, mid range and pro/pronsumer.

Today Apple offers thin, thinner or outdated and overpriced, coupled with a propensity to nickel & dime it's customers at every possible opportunity...

Q-6
Yah but MacOS is still awesome. “it’s just a little a buggy it’s just a little crashing”. :D

Nixir

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2011
Toronto
Thin, underpowered and overpiced (plus the greedy attitude to milk as much as possible out of their customers).

I can live with 2, not 3.

Once upon a time, it wasn't hard to justify the premium price of Apple computers at all. To this day I don't think there's a workstation better designed than the Cheese Grater Mac Pro, and PC competitors have only recently caught up to the 2012-2015 rMBP. These were expensive tools, but when utilized properly they are worth their price ten-fold.

If Tim Cook cared even a tiny bit about the Mac platform, we wouldn't have had to wait 5 years for what? A trashcan, a touchbar, a joke of a keyboard, and a iMac "Pro". As a long time Mac power user, each one is more cringe worthy than the last. And how's that forced annual OSX and iOS upgrade cycle working out?

Sadly, this time there's no Steve Jobs to come back and save Apple from the MBAs...

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I already said in an earlier post (I think in this thread) that I don't get the removal of the extension cord from the power supply base. Sure, I have a few from earlier Apple laptops so it doesn't affect me, but if I didn't have those previous extension cords lying around I'd be ticked to pony up 20 bucks to get one.

I always wondered if that was a Jonny Ive demand to make the box a bit smaller and lighter. His focus on thin and light is a bit obsessive.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I think this weeks root password security issue, is a sign the Mac is lost within Apple. Its not dead or being put out to pasture, but its not really a priority either. It is no longer the crown jewel upon which the company's success depends. Its a striking contrasts compared 15 to 17 years ago. I remember in 2002, it was all about OS X and the Mac; and its understandable, desktop operating systems were trendy back then. It was all about stability, security, performance, photo realistic icons, 100 to 200 new features every year.

The iPod came along, became a major success, then it was about how much smaller and sleeker they could make it with more storage. The obsession became iTunes and iPod for sometime. But OS X kept going strong and renewed momentum came with with the Intel transition.

January 2007 changed things significantly, but the Mac under Jobs remained a first priority platform and we obviously saw it with the MacBook Air in January 2008. Remember, Apple was even pushing Xserve in the enterprise up to January 2007. But the iPhone just seem to keep pushing the the Mac to the side as it became the major revenue generator.

When Jobs launched the iPad and obsession that came with it from the general public, I suspect a executive was called. The consensus was, we need to ride this for all its worth. The Mac is great and all, but imagine that we could get users to upgrade to a new iPhone, iPad or iPod every year, versus every 3 to 5 years for Mac.

So, thats where it all changed and I think that was in 2011. But Jobs still seemed invested in the Mac to not let it languish and 2012's introduction of the Retina MacBook Pro. That was probably the last of Steve's ideas along with the iPhone 5s.

Of course, we continue to see success with the iPhone and iPad. But, for many in the company, the Mac kinda became else can really do with it, we really don't know. Thats why 2013 to 2015, it was mostly internal upgrades.

The 2016 MacBook Pro was the first post Jobs MacBook Pro, as well as the 2015 MacBook. These are the first without any form of influence from the founder. Sure, there are some possible what would Steve Jobs do ideas like making it thinner and less ports, but what I think is missing is the practical no compromise approach to developing hardware. We see it with the Magic Mouse, 2013 MacPro, 2013 iMac and todays MacBook Pro's and the iPhone 7 and later.

Its just a reality we have to accept that what we loved about Apple's DNA won't be the same.

Reactions: Queen6

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I think this weeks root password security issue, is a sign the Mac is lost within Apple. Its not dead or being put out to pasture, but its not really a priority either. It is no longer the crown jewel upon which the company's success depends. Its a striking contrasts compared 15 to 17 years ago. I remember in 2002, it was all about OS X and the Mac; and its understandable, desktop operating systems were trendy back then. It was all about stability, security, performance, photo realistic icons, 100 to 200 new features every year.

The iPod came along, became a major success, then it was about how much smaller and sleeker they could make it with more storage. The obsession became iTunes and iPod for sometime. But OS X kept going strong and renewed momentum came with with the Intel transition.

January 2007 changed things significantly, but the Mac under Jobs remained a first priority platform and we obviously saw it with the MacBook Air in January 2008. Remember, Apple was even pushing Xserve in the enterprise up to January 2007. But the iPhone just seem to keep pushing the the Mac to the side as it became the major revenue generator.

When Jobs launched the iPad and obsession that came with it from the general public, I suspect a executive was called. The consensus was, we need to ride this for all its worth. The Mac is great and all, but imagine that we could get users to upgrade to a new iPhone, iPad or iPod every year, versus every 3 to 5 years for Mac.

So, thats where it all changed and I think that was in 2011. But Jobs still seemed invested in the Mac to not let it languish and 2012's introduction of the Retina MacBook Pro. That was probably the last of Steve's ideas along with the iPhone 5s.

Of course, we continue to see success with the iPhone and iPad. But, for many in the company, the Mac kinda became else can really do with it, we really don't know. Thats why 2013 to 2015, it was mostly internal upgrades.

The 2016 MacBook Pro was the first post Jobs MacBook Pro, as well as the 2015 MacBook. These are the first without any form of influence from the founder. Sure, there are some possible what would Steve Jobs do ideas like making it thinner and less ports, but what I think is missing is the practical no compromise approach to developing hardware. We see it with the Magic Mouse, 2013 MacPro, 2013 iMac and todays MacBook Pro's and the iPhone 7 and later.

Its just a reality we have to accept that what we loved about Apple's DNA won't be the same.

Wait till 2030 MBP, by that time Apple AR will be able to raise the dead and Jobs will be back in charge to sort it out.

P.s. Please, let Jobs die. He was a great man be he was not the only man, and he was no God. People need to let him go and stop blaming all of the problems they experience with Apple as being because of his death. Most if not all the design is done by Ive, and Jobs personally appointed Cook. Jobs basically just threw a tantrum to get things done how he wanted. Seriously, if he was still around the MP would be a $20,000 beast which no one would buy!

P.p.s. The Magic Mouse, or any Apple mouse, have never been particularly good at anything other than looking nice in photos.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
The hockey puck mouse that came with the G3 iMacs were an ergonomic nightmare.

PowerMac Cube

iTunes update that deleted all external hard drives with a space character in their name.

“3GHz in a year!”

Mobile Me rollout.

“Just don’t hold it in that way.”

Ping.

Apple when run by Jobs was not perfect.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I'm not sure I'd single out ergonomics as a useful data point either way.
Apple has literally never been good at ergonomics for some reason.

Nixir

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2011
Toronto
Of course Jobs' Apple wasn't perfect, it's the level of passion and care that went into each of Apple's products that's missing since he's gone. Tim Cook maybe a great manager, nothing wrong with that, many great fortune 500 companies are run by great managers. However Apple built its reputation on innovation and perfectionism, first first requires a level of genius few people possess and no one can blame Cook for. The lack of caring, on the other hand, is wholly his fault.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Wait till 2030 MBP, by that time Apple AR will be able to raise the dead and Jobs will be back in charge to sort it out.

P.s. Please, let Jobs die. He was a great man be he was not the only man, and he was no God. People need to let him go and stop blaming all of the problems they experience with Apple as being because of his death. Most if not all the design is done by Ive, and Jobs personally appointed Cook. Jobs basically just threw a tantrum to get things done how he wanted. Seriously, if he was still around the MP would be a $20,000 beast which no one would buy!

P.p.s. The Magic Mouse, or any Apple mouse, have never been particularly good at anything other than looking nice in photos.
He is already dead. Last I checked, Apple's DNA is Steve Jobs. Even Tim Cook says it all the time. Jony Ive design stuff, but Jobs cleaned it up nicely. Lets not forget too, without that $400 million dollar purchase of NeXT in 1996, Jony Ive would probably be designing toilets right now for a living and Tim Cook would have been some supervisor at HP probably let go years ago.

Steve Jobs is fundamental to Apple's existence today. We must also remember Apple post 1996 is a different company from pre-1996. The company was basically on the verge of bankruptcy. Without Steve Jobs ability to see talent, strategic business acumen and persuasion to get investment from competitors like Microsoft, you would probably be replying on a Windows PC or Chromebook right now.

So, please don't pretend this would happen with or without Steve Jobs, thats just naive. Also, that comment about Macs costing $20,000 under Jobs is ridiculous considering, post Jobs, Macs and iPhones have gotten even more expensive.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

Apple has lost it's way many times before and come back stronger. In the 1984 they had a hit with the original Mac. For about 2 years. Then they got lost and started getting into too many side businesses and made it hard for developers to work with them. The PCs became predominate because it was where the software was and software drives customers to a platform, not the other way around.

In the early 90s Apple had some good systems, and then wander off into rainbow colors as a way to sell systems. Meanwhile Gates was earning billions. By 1995 Apple had shrunk so much 1 Infinity Loop had to rent space to a bookstore to help cover the rent. Microsoft had Windows 95 and Office 95 and taken over a lot of the ex-Apple buildings in Cupertino and hired a lot of ex-Apple engineers whose stock options were "worthless".

Apple had similar issues when Jobs first came back. A lot of political in-fighting in the C suites with people screaming and storming out the door. They only seemed to get it together in the late 2000s with the first iPhone, which was there 3 or 4th attempt to integrated phone and computer. And even then there were a lot of people that had to go to the mat with Steve over apps. He wanted to restrict the device to running only Apple written apps. Others were wiser and saw that the 3rd party developers would be the strength of the system. And then Jobs claimed that it was his idea.

And then Cook's ascendancy came and brought the discipline needed to propel the company forward on firm financial footing, rather than Job's "screw the numbers, it will work out".

So while you need a leader with a vision, you also need someone that can come up with strategies to keep the cash flowing to keep the vision going.

evec

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2016
Overpriced Steve Jobs.
As my opinion is Mac get better and better after Jobs death, most people thing Jobs good for Mac is not real use the product that Jobs era, which OSX have many minor problem before 10.5 and not good for non-professional usage.

The main reason for suspend OSX or Mac get better is the competitor, like Microsoft which provide very poor OS (Win10), Linux become very complex and no with good UI interface, together with bad PC industrial which only do something cost down, or their premier model just with normal quality and better cosmetic and label it better that MBP, everytime i wish shift back to windows system found Mac already the most valuable system and cheapest solution.

Last day, I just upgrade my PC last day for annual win10 update for three hours process :(, with many issue after upgrade, and the MS make the interface more disgusting.

Reactions: gobikerider

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Overpriced Steve Jobs.
As my opinion is Mac get better and better after Jobs death, most people thing Jobs good for Mac is not real use the product that Jobs era, which OSX have many minor problem before 10.5 and not good for non-professional usage.

The main reason for suspend OSX or Mac get better is the competitor, like Microsoft which provide very poor OS (Win10), Linux become very complex and no with good UI interface, together with bad PC industrial which only do something cost down, or their premier model just with normal quality and better cosmetic and label it better that MBP, everytime i wish shift back to windows system found Mac already the most valuable system and cheapest solution.

Last day, I just upgrade my PC last day for annual win10 update for three hours process :(, with many issue after upgrade, and the MS make the interface more disgusting.
I’ve compared multiple Windows ultrabooks recently and the MacBook has ultimately ended up as my choice because Windows 10 isn’t even close to the polish of MacOS. The hardware from HP and Lenovo I think looks as gorgeous and striking as a MacBook but Windows 10 ultimately ruins the experience for me. Now to wait for these 2018 models. :D

kokomoko

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2017
Overpriced Steve Jobs.

I guess that's the reason I look for Lenovo and Dell computers to replace my 2015 rMBP. Apple forgot what they have to do - be a tool, not be a trendy fashion thing. Lenovo and Dell clearly are no taking advantage. If they had a single pro rated laptop with a centered keyboard without a numpad, I would buy one 100% instead of buying 2 years old laptop (maxed out rMBP 2015).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.