Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Straw man argument...

You do not need a portable iMac, you just need a 2015 form factor laptop (which nobody complained about) with a 99.5 Wh battery.
Problem solved. And, as an added benefit, you could also have had a SD card reader and some USBA ports for nowadays-compatibility.
I mean even a 80 watt battery would be a much better experience. For what a 1mm thickness increase Ill take that anyday.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Straw man argument...

You do not need a portable iMac, you just need a 2015 form factor laptop (which nobody found cumbersome) with a 99.5 Wh battery.
Problem solved. And, as an added benefit, you could also have had a SD card reader and some USBA ports for nowadays-compatibility.

The hope for a lighter body was actually one of the main reasons I did hold out purchasing a MacBook Pro back then. Again, 200 grams might not sound like much, and it certainly isn't when you're only carrying it for like half an hour a day. But if you're on location at a shooting and carry it over your shoulder for up to ten hours without a pause, 200 grams more or less actually do make a difference.

So yes, a portable computer is more useful to me if it is more portable. If that's not the case for you, well, then Apple chose the wrong compromise for your use case. Like I said earlier, notebooks are always about finding the best compromise, and there's simply no perfect compromise for everyone.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

shamguy4

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2009
In what way is that easier then having just done a clean install?

I still have the 2014 working and over the next day or so I will put all my apps on the new one.
It takes a bit of time to install photoshop. Set up my terminal and sync Dropbox... I’m a web developer.
So a fresh install would have put me out of work for at least a day or two. I guess over a weekend but I was itching for a new MacBook I guess...

I will be fresh installing high Sierra on the new one when it comes. It ships with Sierra right? And what’s this I’m reading that it doesn’t come with the power adapter extender?! For the price I paid that’s a bit pathetic.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
And what’s this I’m reading that it doesn’t come with the power adapter extender?! For the price I paid that’s a bit pathetic.

Just wait until you buy a replacement adapter - $79 for the adapter. And $19 for the USB-C power cable. And $19 more for the extension cord. 50% more for less functionality that you got with a 2012-2015 - which had MagSafe.

Reactions: No. 44

shamguy4

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2009
Well I have old extensions cords. I’ll be using those. Ugh! Your making second guess what I’ve done.
Don’t do that!!

vxh.viet

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
The hope for a lighter body was actually one of the main reasons I did hold out purchasing a MacBook Pro back then. Again, 200 grams might not sound like much, and it certainly isn't when you're only carrying it for like half an hour a day. But if you're on location at a shooting and carry it over your shoulder for up to ten hours without a pause, 200 grams more or less actually do make a difference.

Don't you carry dongles with you on the field? They would be easily ~100g for the good quality ones. I really don't understand your "200gr" argument you keep spreading around. My friend would use something like this if she need to be on the field for a long time. Drop 1 or 2 lenses will actually save you more weight then shaving off 200gr from your work machine. Try combine some of your wide angle lenses into a compact zoom, the quality is almost the same anyway.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Don't you carry dongles with you on the field? They would be easily ~100g for the good quality ones. I really don't understand your "200gr" argument you keep spreading around. My friend would use something like this if she need to be on the field for a long time. Drop 1 or 2 lenses will actually save you more weight then shaving off 200gr from your work machine. Try combine some of your wide angle lenses into a compact zoom, the quality is almost the same anyway.

Only an SD card reader, which is like 40 grams. Also, I'm usually only bringing two lenses on location, so dropping two lenses isn't going to happen. ;) Switching both primes for one fast zoom would increase weight, actually.

I'm just trying to save weight wherever I can, and if Apple helps me doing so without any compromises that actually impact my workflow, I'll gladly take it. I understand that might not be the case for everyone though.

By the way, in my case, switching from a pre-retina 15" MBP to a current 13" one saves 1.2 kg, so there's obviously a huge gain when combining both slimmer redesigns into one upgrade.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Just wait until you buy a replacement adapter - $79 for the adapter. And $19 for the USB-C power cable. And $19 more for the extension cord. 50% more for less functionality that you got with a 2012-2015 - which had MagSafe.
Yeah it’s really lame that a premium computer company decided to take away the extension cable and make it an optional extra, if they really wanted to be Scroogey penny pinchers it would have been better for the customer to remove the plug part and keep the extension cable. Having plenty of cable length you might not need is better than not having enough, especially when you’re expected to pay £19 for the privilege of getting it back :(

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Well I have old extensions cords. I’ll be using those. Ugh! Your making second guess what I’ve done.
Don’t do that!!
Have you had to replace a MagSafe power adapter because the cord frayed? Or maybe your cat thought it was a tasty treat (my case)? Then you know the pain of paying $80 for completely new power supply when just a new cord would do. That’s the plus in this case. You only have to buy a new cable.

As for not including the grounded extension cable, there’s just no excuse for that in my book, although I do have extras from buying previous replacement power supplies. :/

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
I'm just trying to save weight wherever I can, and if Apple helps me doing so without any compromises that actually impact my workflow, I'll gladly take it. I understand that might not be the case for everyone though.

By the way, in my case, switching from a pre-retina 15" MBP to a current 13" one saves 1.2 kg, so there's obviously a huge gain when combining both slimmer redesigns into one upgrade.

So you switched from a quadcore + dGPU to a dualcore + iGPU with no impact on your workflow....you might as well buy a MB which is even lighter and thinner...

That is the core of the problem...people buy a MBP because is thin when Apple does the MB that would have been perfect for them.

Both lines of Apple laptops are thin and underpowered for people who value thinness over performances...

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
So you switched from a quadcore + dGPU to a dualcore + iGPU with no impact on your workflow....you might as well buy a MB which is even lighter and thinner...

That is the core of the problem...people buy a MBP because is thin when Apple does the MB that would have been perfect for them.

Both lines of Apple laptops are thin and underpowered for people who value thinness over performances...

I never said I still worked on that 15" MBP - it was far too slow for anything (I still use it for some web surfing though). Also, it is a dual-core machine with a dGPU that is far inferior to the Intel Iris iGPU. Actually, I do most of my work on a maxed out 5k iMac - I don't own a newer MacBook myself just yet. I'm using a 15" one at the ad agency I'm working at. Since the current machines are only dual-core, I'm waiting for the quad-core 13" ones next year before I upgrade my private notebook (which is used heavily for photo editing, hence the need for more power).

So maybe being a full time graphic designer, doing video edits, 3D Renderings using Cinema4D, ultra high resolution visuals in Photoshop and complex layouts in InDesign for a living simply isn't what you call professional use anymore. Frankly, I'm not sure what qualifies as "professional" by these standards.

I don't see the drawbacks everyone's talking about in the current 15" MBP (and, hopefully, next years 13" MBP). Sure, the actual render work is outsourced to our render farm, but apart from that, it handles everything I throw at it with ease. And it does all that while still being thin and light. So, it's the perfect compromise for me.

Don't get me wrong, I do indeed see where you're coming from. Compared to some of the competition, the MacBook Pro series is indeed a little weak on paper, and very expensive for the performance you get. But in practical use, it's just about perfect for me.

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
So maybe being a full time graphic designer, doing video edits, 3D Renderings using Cinema4D, ultra high resolution visuals in Photoshop and complex layouts in InDesign for a living simply isn't what you call professional use anymore. Frankly, I'm not sure what qualifies as "professional" by these standards.

Never said that but you said that you switched from a 15" to a 13" with no impact and did not mention the iMac and the rendering farm...

For the kind of work and software you use, a MB REAL PRO® thicker (for cooling and battery capacity) with all the needed ports and with nVidia Pascal GPU would mean that you can ditch also the iMac and use the laptop for everything...

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Never said that but you said that you switched from a 15" to a 13" with no impact and did not mention the iMac and the rendering farm...

For the kind of work and software you use, a MB REAL PRO® thicker (for cooling and battery capacity) with all the needed ports and with nVidia Pascal GPU would mean that you can ditch also the iMac and use the laptop for everything...

No impact on the kind of work I do on a notebook. A multi monitor setup will always be more productive. But you might be right, having a Thunderbolt dock connected to this whole setup may render the iMac obsolete at some point.

Still, in that case, I personally would prefer to outsource as much as possible to the desk (i.e. using an eGPU, among other things) to keep the notebook as thin and light as possible. The power the current 15" MBP offers simply is enough for my current on-the-go workflow, so I do not want to give up portability for power I don't necessarily need.

However, you are right in the sense that Apple should add another top of the line notebook for the people who want even more power on the go. That's a market Apple doesn't serve currently, and it's a market I'd love to see them investing. Just keep the current MacBook Pro line - or however you wanna call it in the future - a thin, light and decently powerful notebook for me, and I'm happy.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I want to believe Apple is building a monitor/eGPU/Dock update to their Thunderbolt Display for a 2018 release. Could even be a second display for the iMac Pro or for the new, improved Mac Pro.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
It really is crazy.
The lines have simply converged too much…

They should have a 12" and a 14" MacBook that prioritize portability, thinness and light weight and have the 13" and 15" MBPs have quad core+ and dGPU across the lines, at least optionally, with a couple more ports.

I'm not saying make the pros into fat pigs but don't prioritize super thin and light as much as they are currently doing.

Last edited:

Nixir

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2011
Toronto
I used to think the Cube was Jobs biggest flounder. Now looks like Tim Cook is about to unseat that. I had expected Tim to be as detail driven and as demanding of quality as Jobs was, now it should be clear to everyone Tim is only driven by the profit and market. Taking away and charging $20 for the extension cord is a big FU.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Yah except appliances last longer sad to say.

Ehh...hmmm...
I guess it depends.
I have a 2008 and 2012 MacBook/Mini still in use around the house thanks to upgradable guts.

But how about this?

If you're buying online they optionally allow you to add the extension cord to your order for no extra cost, as it used to be, and only if you want it, thus no waste?

And in the store they will give you want if you want but only if you want...

It is not really about waste it's simply about making more money from nickel and diming

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Ehh...hmmm...
I guess it depends.
I have a 2008 and 2012 MacBook/Mini still in use around the house thanks to upgradable guts.

But how about this?

If you're buying online they optionally allow you to add the extension cord to your order for no extra cost, as it used to be, and only if you want it, thus no waste?

And in the store they will give you want if you want but only if you want...

It is not really about waste it's simply about making more money from nickel and diming
I was referring to the newest MacBook Pro’s that are entirely soldered and non upgradable. That is nice that they let you add the cable if you want it, if that’s the case I dont see why the price is an issue considering you can circumvent it entirely.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I was referring to the newest MacBook Pro’s that are entirely soldered and non upgradable. That is nice that they let you add the cable if you want it, if that’s the case I dont see why the price is an issue considering you can circumvent it entirely.

I'm confused - Are we talking past each other?

You said Appliances last longer and I replied saying that I'm still using 08 & 12 Macs, and am able to, specifically because they are not appliances that are not upgradable.

How viable do you think a 2016 MBP will be in 2023-2025 range?
(after about 12 keyboard replacements also)

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
As for not including the grounded extension cable, there’s just no excuse for that in my book, although I do have extras from buying previous replacement power supplies. :/

I reckon it was probably something to do with their environmental commitments. Not sure a £20 cable is much of a cash grab for a company that large... I just grabbed a new one anyway, old Apple cables tend to develop that grey gunky stuff on them after a while.

Saying that however I'm curious with the socket adapter. In the UK we have great sockets, and you can stick it in the wall and it stays there. I've tried a Chinese one with it (Similar if not the same as US) and the thing just falls straight out of the wall as there's no pin retention on these things. If that's the case in the US too then you kind of need that extension cable, which does suck.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
The power supply itself will stay plugged into the wall, but I prefer to ground the power supply. Plus, I have the extension cords permanently installed at home as they snake up from behind my desk and stuff. I just pop a duck head onto the adapter if I’m taking it out of my house.

shamguy4

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2009
So I got the macbook pro 15" 2017 last week.
I like it so far.

The keyboard is definitely better than the 2016 which my friend has and it was horrible. Still cant decide if I would still rather a keyboard with more travel. I have not typed enough. but I have a external keyboard so thats ok.

Compared to my 2014 retina things seem to work better.
Handoff and the whole continuity was always quirky on my 2014. Even after a fresh install it never seemed to always handoff. It worked on and off.

This new one works all the time. The screen is more vibrant, but my 2014 seems brighter. But I remember getting my 2014 and thinking the one before that was brighter.
im starting to wonder if the screen gets brighter over time of use? or is that just crazy talk?
Either way I never have the brightness below five notches from the top unless im outside.

The trackpad is huge. its fun but not sure if necessary.
And the touchbar… its a cute feature that isnt really used by the OS much...

But with Better Touch Tool I am able to turn it into a quick launch for apps and now I have it displaying the current song playing on spotify. So I can see how it can be helpful.

Oh and so far my hands aren't burning. Yeah thats a weird issue with me. My hands burnt when touching my 2014 and the one before that. somehow the battery is right under the keyboard and my fingers would turn red and hurt. I literally went to the doctor and got tested to see if I was allergic to aluminum. I am not kidding…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.