Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calexandre

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2008
Ok, so can I jump in with my wait vs go-ahead question? I'm using a 15 inch mid-2012 MBP. It's 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 with 8 GB of RAM. It's also glacial. I'm a writer, so not a high-power user, but I have about 40 tabs open on my browser window open at any given minute, along with Preview and MS Word, and I'd really like a decent sized screen. I would also one day love to play the Sims on my computer without shutting everything else down.

I also tend to try to opt for the best processor and highest RAM possible when buying a new computer, in hopes that it'll last a while (hence, the fact that I'm still using a 2012 model).

The problem is, I have zero interest in a touchbar, and buying the MBP with the touchbar appears to be the only way to get those better specs. I've been considering trying to figure out a way to wait until 2018 to see if they drop the touchbar on the higher-end 15 inch MBPs. Does this seem like a reasonable plan? Trying to get some input.

We're pretty much usage twins: the bulk of my work is also writing, also with a ton of tabs (although I tend to have even more open at one time). My 2013 Air just died this week and I've been forced to upgrade sooner than I hoped, which has meant buying the 15" with touchbar. If my Air hadn't died, I'd have waited in the hopes of an updated 2018 non-Touchbar 15", and I hope they come out with one for you. Honestly the only value I can see in the Touchbar is fingerprint login. I've never been less excited about buying a new Mac, and this is the first time I've ever looked at the lineup and not seen an obvious choice I felt would be just right-- and I've been a Mac user since the Plus. For my needs and to my eye, they are blowing it on both design and functionality these days.

ibivibiv

macrumors regular
May 5, 2015
We're pretty much usage twins: the bulk of my work is also writing, also with a ton of tabs (although I tend to have even more open at one time). My 2013 Air just died this week and I've been forced to upgrade sooner than I hoped, which has meant buying the 15" with touchbar. If my Air hadn't died, I'd have waited in the hopes of an updated 2018 non-Touchbar 15", and I hope they come out with one for you. Honestly the only value I can see in the Touchbar is fingerprint login. I've never been less excited about buying a new Mac, and this is the first time I've ever looked at the lineup and not seen an obvious choice I felt would be just right-- and I've been a Mac user since the Plus. For my needs and to my eye, they are blowing it on both design and functionality these days.

I hope some of the folks that think myself and others are just "haters" or something are tracking this point. A lot of us either WANT to upgrade or ARE with reservations. It is just a very strange feeling. Normally you just upgrade and the product has been very solid. This iteration? Wow, I feel this is the first time they REALLY missed the mark this badly. The touch bar feels like some kind of gimmick you'd expect on a tablet or phone and the tech refresh is very lackluster or viewed as a negative by many people.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Here is another reason to add to the list why you should wait for the 2018 MacBook Pro's.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...0-fusion-chip-for-always-on-hey-siri.2089657/

So, what we have so far:
- Coffee Lake
- More power efficient Intel + AMD combo chips without the overhead of a full discrete graphics in a 15 inch profile
- Now Hey Siri support using built in A10 co-processor.

Who knows, we might even get an improved butterfly keyboard.

I might break my rule and upgrade next year. But, I was hoping maybe the hold out until Apple brings OLED to the MacBook Pro and 32 GB DDR4, but thats probably not until 2019 or 2020. Can't wait that long.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Here is another reason to add to the list why you should wait for the 2018 MacBook Pro's.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...0-fusion-chip-for-always-on-hey-siri.2089657/

So, what we have so far:
- Coffee Lake
- More power efficient Intel + AMD combo chips without the overhead of a full discrete graphics in a 15 inch profile

I might break my rule and upgrade next year. But, I was hoping maybe the hold out until Apple brings OLED to the MacBook Pro and 32 GB DDR4, but thats probably not until 2019 or 2020. Can't wait that long.

We're all expecting a 'Wait till 2019' thread from you once the 2018 is released.

benface

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012

So, what we have so far:
- Coffee Lake

Huh, what? That article is about the iMac Pro. The MacBook Pro already has a coprocessor (T1 chip) for the Touch Bar and Touch ID.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
We're all expecting a 'Wait till 2019' thread from you once the 2018 is released.

Give me a few more months. ;)

Huh, what? That article is about the iMac Pro. The MacBook Pro already has a coprocessor (T1 chip) for the Touch Bar and Touch ID.

Thats Touch ID. Another feature I forgot is Face ID.

Really, the future MacBook Pro's are really gonna have some enticing features to keep users in the fold.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Give me a few more months. ;)

Really, the future MacBook Pro's are really gonna have some enticing features to keep users in the fold.

FaceID doesn't really add anything but cost to the MBP at this stage, it'll happen eventually, possibly 2020, more likely the generation after.

There will always be new features and stuff, at some point you have to get a new computer, just get a current one as it'll have all the latest tech. Upgrade a few years later and there will be even newer tech in there.

Kulfon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2013
Actually, my suggestion is different. Look for the maxed out version of 2015. I have borh, the 2015 and 2017 and I am not looking forward to the future of mbp.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its weird that Apple implemented TouchId only to abandon it in the iPhone X, I think we'll probably see in a year or two Apple transitioning the Touch Id in the MBP to FaceID.

The word on the street, the new iMac will see that, I think the MBP for 2018 is too far into the development pipeline to alter anything like that (I'm just guessing), so it may be 2019 we see a FaceID equipped MBP.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Its weird that Apple implemented TouchId only to abandon it in the iPhone X, I think we'll probably see in a year or two Apple transitioning the Touch Id in the MBP to FaceID.

The word on the street, the new iMac will see that, I think the MBP for 2018 is too far into the development pipeline to alter anything like that (I'm just guessing), so it may be 2019 we see a FaceID equipped MBP.
Face ID has been in development since 2013 and usually the same hardware or software team behind a product are also engineering it for other lines. The signed off on the feature set a year ago for iPhone X. So, its possible the feature set for the MacBook 2018 was already in the works.

Its true, Face ID not make it in next years MBP, partly because they want to make it an exclusive maybe for the iMac Pro or another model.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Face ID has been in development since 2013
And yet they put TouchID into the 2016 and beyond MBPs. While I understand the technology wasn't ready, I think the work effort of getting TouchID into the MBP only have it for a couple of years doesn't make sense. Why spend all that time and money to implement TouchID in the MBP to only have it replaced.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
And yet they put TouchID into the 2016 and beyond MBPs. While I understand the technology wasn't ready, I think the work effort of getting TouchID into the MBP only have it for a couple of years doesn't make sense. Why spend all that time and money to implement TouchID in the MBP to only have it replaced.
Strategy, so you can have a reason to upgrade to the 2018, 19, 20 MacBook Pro.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I don't buy it, I don't see that as a valid business decision, developing a new feature only have it replaced in 2 years.
You mean just like how they removed the headphone jack so you don't have to spend another $150 to buy wireless airpods. They know how most Apple users think, most want a complete ecosystem.

rutrack

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2017

What money are you talking about ? It's a fingerprint scanner that every other producer had available on their laptops for years, apple had it implemented in iphones. It's looks natural in this apples logic that technology migrates from iphone to MBP with 1-2 years delay.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I think face ID will come to all macs with a display pretty soon. Apple already has a module that fits in a phone. That will easily fit in a MacBook or iMac. And then there is no need to support and supply a second, non face recognition camera. And can we talk about dumping the TouchBar then?

rutrack

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2017
I think face ID will come to all macs with a display pretty soon. Apple already has a module that fits in a phone. That will easily fit in a MacBook or iMac. And then there is no need to support and supply a second, non face recognition camera. And can we talk about dumping the TouchBar then?

That would be a step back, it's logical for them to dump the entire keyboard altogether ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.