Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibivibiv

macrumors regular
May 5, 2015
Everyone is so cute with all their port listings. HDMI is not a legacy port. You can try all day and night to make it not that way, but HDMI is here now and will be here for a very long time. There are ZERO things I can buy that use USB-C as the native video port. If say even 30% of the devices carried it I wouldn't be pointing this out. But with exactly NO support in the market for Apple deciding to remove a port in the name of being forward-looking I have to call BS on HDMI not being included. I'm willing to bet that we don't see USB-C as the standard for video even next year or the next. Why? Because that industry doesn't have the churn on its products as fast as laptops. People buy a TV, projector, monitor etc. and sit on them for a very long time. So you can be clever all you want with lists of ports but HDMI is clearly not one you can put on that list. It is and will be for at least 5 years or more THE standard for video. That is easily a lifecycle if not more of a laptop and I am betting HDMI is the dominant standard for longer than 5 years. It also happens to be quite thin so enough with the Jony Ive's thinbating lol.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Everyone is so cute with all their port listings. HDMI is not a legacy port. You can try all day and night to make it not that way, but HDMI is here now and will be here for a very long time. There are ZERO things I can buy that use USB-C as the native video port. If say even 30% of the devices carried it I wouldn't be pointing this out. But with exactly NO support in the market for Apple deciding to remove a port in the name of being forward-looking I have to call BS on HDMI not being included. I'm willing to bet that we don't see USB-C as the standard for video even next year or the next. Why? Because that industry doesn't have the churn on its products as fast as laptops. People buy a TV, projector, monitor etc. and sit on them for a very long time. So you can be clever all you want with lists of ports but HDMI is clearly not one you can put on that list. It is and will be for at least 5 years or more THE standard for video. That is easily a lifecycle if not more of a laptop and I am betting HDMI is the dominant standard for longer than 5 years. It also happens to be quite thin so enough with the Jony Ive's thinbating lol.
And Apple themselves, of course, have just put out a new 4K Apple TV with... HDMI

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
KGB7 asked:
"Why have 5 different plugs and standards, when we can adopt 1 for everything??"

I'll answer that.

Because -- it turns out that "1 for everything" IS NOT "for everything".
Although the port size is the same, DIFFERENT connecting cables -- quite a few different ones -- are required to make "a proper connection".

And, from the viewpoint of the user, it's often difficult to tell these cables apart.

With "different" plugs and visually different cables, it's far EASIER to understand "what cable does what" and "which port to plug it into". Far fewer chances of making a mistake.

I prefer "the old way".
My opinion only.

USB-c -- seemed like a really great idea, in theory.
In the real world... not so much!

Last edited:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
We are likely to see that new Intel/AMD combo chip in next years 15 inch MacBook Pro, possibly an entry level model. Rumor is Apple is actually the one behind the collaboration because Apples focus on thinness and miniaturization. Only Apple could make this happen. With Apple using discrete AMD graphics already it was more incentive make this collaboration work. Not to mention, Intel wants to get serious about graphics again to compete with nVidia. So, this is the best way to get back in the game and buy time until they can come to market with something built by their recent hire from AMD.

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
KGB7 asked:
"Why have 5 different plugs and standards, when we can adopt 1 for everything??"

I'll answer that.

Because -- it turns out that "1 for everything" IS NOT "for everything".
Although the port size is the same, DIFFERENT connecting cables -- quite a few different ones -- are required to make "a proper connection".

And, from the viewpoint of the user, it's often difficult to tell these cables apart.

With "different" plugs and visually different cables, it's far EASIER to understand "what cable does what" and "which port to plug it into". Far fewer chances of making a mistake.

I prefer "the old way".
My opinion only.

USB-c -- seemed like a really great idea, in theory.
In the real world... not so much!

There is nothing complicated about using 1 cable for everything; Audi, video, data, charging. USB has done it for many years, but there was always bandwidth limitations until usb3.1 came along.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
There is nothing complicated about using 1 cable for everything

I couldn't disagree with this more.
The cable and the port being all the same is the problem and the solution.

The problem is that the capabilities of the chipset and the cables/adapters in use with USB-C are not discoverable whatsoever and it purports false simplicity by having everything "look the same".

Imagine if all house & office keys looked the same and fit it into any keyhole you found, but only some unlock the door and there's no easy to know which will unless you try it. USB-C is closer to that unfortunately.

Apple going all USB-C is absolutely textbook form over function. It's a huge error in my opinion, at least at this point in the USB-C lifecycle.

Last edited:

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
And Apple themselves, of course, have just put out a new 4K Apple TV with... HDMI

Come on guys, really? If Apple put a USB-C and no HDMI port you'd be screaming "form over function" all day. They don't, and so "USB-C is a mistake" as well? Even USB-C activists such as myself know that having one (only one) on the AppleTV would be plain silly.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Come on guys, really? If Apple put a USB-C and no HDMI port you'd be screaming "form over function" all day. They don't, and so "USB-C is a mistake" as well? Even USB-C activists such as myself know that having one (only one) on the AppleTV would be plain silly.
It’s not about the TV having a hdmi, it’s about the MBPs jettisoning useful ports prematurely

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Even USB-C activists such as myself know that having one (only one) on the AppleTV would be plain silly.

Would it though?

What if they conceptually really did think it would make the AppleTV more versatile that way so you could possibly power it and deliver a video/audio signal all with one cable in many usages?

(maybe not in the first iteration, but down the road)

I could actually see them doing that and including a USB-C to HDMI dongle for "legacy TV users" haha

Ironically, the argument against a dongle is pretty weak for a device that's on a shelf/behind a TV, especially if they included one for free (I am assuming it would work correctly all the time).

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
So nice to see nothing has changed on the forum. Also, I heard if you wait until 2020, they will actually imbed the MBP into your body and physically stimulate you. Make sure you wait until 2020. Or you buy an MBP if you need one now, or wait until you do. There is no game-changing tech coming in the immediate future. JHC.

Reactions: ixxx69 and HenryDJP

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
It’s not about the TV having a hdmi, it’s about the MBPs jettisoning useful ports prematurely

Ok, fair. HDMI on the 2012+ was useful.

What if they conceptually really did think it would make the AppleTV more versatile that way so you could possibly power it and deliver a video/audio signal all with one cable in many usages?

The only TV that would have this functionality would probably be an.....Apple...Tv....at which point tvOS would already be cooked into the panel so it would negate the need for an ATV. Still one power cable for ATV would be nice and doable.

But the TV manufacturers would never go for it. Regardless the HDMI working group is working on HDMI Alt Mode for USB-C (rather than DisplayPort Alt Mode currently in use today) which will allow these type of opportunities. Shocked that we didn't see it on the new ATV, but probably the skinner, hard to hold 2018 variant.

HDMI Alt Mode for USB Type-C Announced

Remember before everyone gets over excited this is HDMI Alt Mode exclusively, pure 100% columbian HDMI nothing to do with DisplayPort whatsoever, as you see in Today's implementations.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Why on earth would an Apple TV need a USB-C port? It's only function is to output to a TV, so it should have an HDMI. It's not like you're plugging computer accessories into it?! Really odd argument for HDMI/USB-C...

Reactions: ixxx69

kokomoko

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2017
Why on earth would an Apple TV need a USB-C port? It's only function is to output to a TV, so it should have an HDMI. It's not like you're plugging computer accessories into it?! Really odd argument for HDMI/USB-C...
Why you do not need HDMI on a laptop when 98% of the existing monitors/projectors are using HDMI? Same argument, 2 different solutions on 2 products made at the same time by the same company.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Why you do not need HDMI on a laptop when 98% of the existing monitors/projectors are using HDMI? Same argument, 2 different solutions on 2 products made at the same time by the same company.

Because it's a laptop, it's a computer, not a multi-media TV player. It's designed to be used as a computer, not to be used to stream your favourite shows to the TV.

Currently all TVs support HDMI, and the only thing an Apple TV has to do is output audio/video, so putting a USB-C port on it would be idiotic.

Currently, all PCs support a host of interfaces, so putting something that can interface with all of that makes perfect sense.

I appreciate some people desperately want HDMI on their computer, but HDMI was just not built for computers. You need to hook it up to a monitor, so as long as it can support that function it's fine. However this is a portable computer, with the emphasis on portable. Sacrificing a port connection for a limited option is not necessary, if you're traveling with it for 90% of the time and plugging it into a monitor for the other 10%, you're better off having a port that can suffice all your needs than a dedicated port for that 1.

As to hooking it up to the projector or conference TV or whatever, then just buy a USB-C/HDMI adapter, the same way that these rooms often contain a VGA/DVI adapter.

I doubt very highly that USB-C will replace HDMI in TVs, as it would bring no meaningful benefit to the platform. However having a small multi-use port available for computers is very beneficial, it's small enough to be used on a mobile phone and functional enough to interface with all other standards. On a TV you'd gain a smaller port (Which isn't needed, just as it isn't needed on a desktop), but you'd still be using that port to only do audio/video.

So unless TVs suddenly have the requirement to plug in PC accessories, there would be no need to change that port.

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Because it's a laptop, it's a computer, not a multi-media TV player. It's designed to be used as a computer, not to be used to stream your favourite shows to the TV.

Video-projectors are not only meant to stream your favorite show to the TV.

I give lectures and presentations with my laptops. Maybe more than a hundred times per year, I have to connect my laptops to VGA or HDMI connectors, and I do not always get the choice. So, yes, expecting this to work on a high-end laptop with a "Pro" label on it is not too much to ask.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai

I give lectures and presentations with my laptops. Maybe more than a hundred times per year, I have to connect my laptops to VGA or HDMI connectors, and I do not always get the choice. So, yes, expecting this to work on a high-end laptop with a "Pro" label on it is not too much to ask.

So lecturing is a big part of your profession and you don't carry either a USB-C -> HDMI cable or got a laptop with a dedicated HDMI port instead?

In my experience you can't rely on hdmi anyway. All projectors will have vga, only the newest have hdmi. And often the connection is loose or I've had issues with them. So if that was a primary part of your job, why not make sure you carry an adapter anyway?

Last edited:
Reactions: HenryDJP

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD

Presentations are still audio/video output. :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1510496026][/doublepost]

Currently all TVs support HDMI, and the only thing an Apple TV has to do is output audio/video, so putting a USB-C port on it would be idiotic.

Currently, all PCs support a host of interfaces, so putting something that can interface with all of that makes perfect sense.

I appreciate some people desperately want HDMI on their computer, but HDMI was just not built for computers. You need to hook it up to a monitor, so as long as it can support that function it's fine. However this is a portable computer, with the emphasis on portable. Sacrificing a port connection for a limited option is not necessary, if you're traveling with it for 90% of the time and plugging it into a monitor for the other 10%, you're better off having a port that can suffice all your needs than a dedicated port for that 1.

As to hooking it up to the projector or conference TV or whatever, then just buy a USB-C/HDMI adapter, the same way that these rooms often contain a VGA/DVI adapter.

I doubt very highly that USB-C will replace HDMI in TVs, as it would bring no meaningful benefit to the platform. However having a small multi-use port available for computers is very beneficial, it's small enough to be used on a mobile phone and functional enough to interface with all other standards. On a TV you'd gain a smaller port (Which isn't needed, just as it isn't needed on a desktop), but you'd still be using that port to only do audio/video.

So unless TVs suddenly have the requirement to plug in PC accessories, there would be no need to change that port.

You can plug in a hard drive in to a tv. Thus eliminating an old USB port and not needing to have an adapter or another cable from usb to usb-c.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.