Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Only in tightly controlled studio environment can a photographer stick to XQD or CFast/CF exclusively. Majority of the others, due to the rapid diversification of the media and client needs, pretty much are required to use an assortment of camera bodies where most are "still" SD. If someone is filming a skateboarder video with 20 GoPros, "professional grade cards" have no business being there.

vxh.viet

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
Only in tightly controlled studio environment can a photographer stick to XQD or CFast/CF exclusively. Majority of the others, due to the rapid diversification of the media and client needs, pretty much are required to use an assortment of camera bodies where most are "still" SD. If someone is filming a skateboarder video with 20 GoPros, "professional grade cards" have no business being there.

Agree. We work with GoPro quite often and there's 2 problem with wifi transfer that make it very unappealing:
- Pitiful GoPro's battery: I don't want to waste 30 mins out of 2 hour battery life to transfer data.
- Not suitable for fast paced action: often, I just want to pop the card in, get some footage done, get it out and then replace it with another card. I don't have time to hang around waiting for data transfer.

ibivibiv

macrumors regular
May 5, 2015
on the "hate" topic..... to the contrary. I REALLY REALLY want to upgrade my laptop but Apple put out a product in the Macbook Pro which just doesn't meet my basic needs. Which is crazy to me. I am fine with the tech refresh on the resources, in fact I love it. But then to have my basic needs left out and have to deal with a daily hassle of dragging around dongles or forgetting them and trying to figure out what to do is a non starter for me. Then I look at "the reason" for this and it just doesn't add up to me. It's not hate, its confusion? Like others in the past I am used to Apple coming up with some new port standard that no one else really uses often, but at least in the past they didn't try to lock me into it alone by leaving out more commonly used ports.

pheidius1

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the few cases where I would wait a year. The new AMD Vega integrated graphics blows Intel integrated graphics away with a 15 watt to 91 w advantage. Kaby lake is just no competition. Intel has slept at the switch again and AMD is now poised to strike again. Even given that Intel mobile cpu's are faster then the Ryzen 7 series chipsets, Apple could get standard desktop comparable VR ready performance out of the low end MacBook Pro and the discreet graphics high end models could be thus pushed to really include the strongest chip out there. https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/26/amd-ryzen-mobile-radeon-vega/
CPU power is no longer the key measure in computing. The GPU has far more importance in today's world.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
When will the 2018 Macbook Pro be released? I have been for a while for a worthy upgrade of my 2013 15” Haswell rMBP.

ibivibiv

macrumors regular
May 5, 2015
Just a final thought I had about the HDMI debacle: If HDMI is "so yesterday" and USB-C is "so today/tomorrow", why does the Apple TV still have HDMI and not the USB-C for its video connector. I mean all you'd need is a dongle if your TV/Monitor isn't up to the times. /sarcasm.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
This is one of the few cases where I would wait a year. The new AMD Vega integrated graphics blows Intel integrated graphics away with a 15 watt to 91 w advantage.

Not that Apple will do this of course, but there actually is the potential all of the sudden for a MacBook Pro with a very nice chunk of GPU horsepower built in.

Somehow, I'm sure, they'll find a way to insist that what we really need is "even thinner" vs "more powerful".
smh

Rkuda

macrumors regular
May 23, 2016
Just a final thought I had about the HDMI debacle: If HDMI is "so yesterday" and USB-C is "so today/tomorrow", why does the Apple TV still have HDMI and not the USB-C for its video connector. I mean all you'd need is a dongle if your TV/Monitor isn't up to the times. /sarcasm.

Because AppleTV is meant to be plugged into a TV not a computer monitor and TVs all use HDMI?

Not sure what you're bitching about since there are now direct USB-C to HDMI cables anyway for connecting from new MBP to HDMI
https://www.amazon.com/KINGONE-Brai...&qid=1510243824&sr=8-6&keywords=usb-c+to+hdmi

ibivibiv

macrumors regular
May 5, 2015

ibivibiv

macrumors regular
May 5, 2015

Real conversation:

Hey does this room have wireless display
No
Dang, ok does anyone have a dongle handy?
Mines at my desk I think
gahhhh why do people always take the dongle out of the conference room
Why did Apple take out the most obvious port for monitors?
Hold on let me run upstairs

Apple is making people hate on their product in the very venue it is meant to be in, a "professional setting"

And yes, I read just fine. Should I mention the comments made when the 300 dollar Dell or other Wintendos box plugs right in and "just works"?

Rkuda

macrumors regular
May 23, 2016
Real conversation:

Hey does this room have wireless display
No
Dang, ok does anyone have a dongle handy?
Mines at my desk I think
gahhhh why do people always take the dongle out of the conference room
Why did Apple take out the most obvious port for monitors?
Hold on let me run upstairs

Apple is making people hate on their product in the very venue it is meant to be in, a "professional setting"

And yes, I read just fine. Should I mention the comments made when the 300 dollar Dell or other Wintendos box plugs right in and "just works"?

A real professional would be mindful of the situation and take at least basic precautions in that case rather than blame the tools don't you think?

If you know or there is a reasonable expectation you will need to plug into such an external device then you can carry the needed cables.

Would you also blame your computer if you were to give an hour long presentation but showed up with 20% battery life remaining and didn't bring a power adaptor?

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Because AppleTV is meant to be plugged into a TV not a computer monitor and TVs all use HDMI?

Not sure what you're bitching about since there are now direct USB-C to HDMI cables anyway for connecting from new MBP to HDMI
https://www.amazon.com/KINGONE-Brai...&qid=1510243824&sr=8-6&keywords=usb-c+to+hdmi

I wish any of these sorts of cables were even remotely reliable.
I've been through a complete hell trying to reliably connect monitors with my spouses modern MBP
[doublepost=1510246331][/doublepost]
A real professional would be mindful of the situation and take at least basic precautions in that case rather than blame the tools don't you think?

The "tools" used to not get in the way by poor design choices on the manufacturers end (for their benefit)

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

ibivibiv

macrumors regular
May 5, 2015

If you know or there is a reasonable expectation you will need to plug into such an external device then you can carry the needed cables.

Would you also blame your computer if you were to give an hour long presentation but showed up with 20% battery life remaining and didn't bring a power adaptor?

lol you are REALLY reaching now. This statement you just made tells me everything I need to know. You don't work in this kind of situation on a daily basis and will say just about anything to back your argument. Yes, a dongle works but I am sitting in one of those rooms right now and I count 9 MBP's and not a dongle in sight. This is a meeting with a major tech vendor and a multi billion dollar multinational corporation. My laptop has the port needed, but that's because I didn't upgrade my MBP and won't until either USB-C shows up as the defacto video cable format or Apple releases a MBP with the most commonly used port in use.

In the real world people are busy. Dongles are ridiculous if you need them literally nearly every time. Apple jumped the gun.

kokomoko

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2017
Got myself maxed out 2015 MBP while I am waiting for the 2020 MBP. I hope this none-sense Apple is doing with the MBP line will not continue

Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
If anyone does buy a modern MBP, I'd highly recommend the following:

1. Buy Applecare+

2. See point #1

3. Ensure you get a great deal up front

There will most likely be a big value hit on the 2016/2017 generations if the keyboard gets re-worked, if they happen to add in a useful port or two alongside USB-C (especially on 15" models) and/or if any of this Intel+Integrated AMD GPU stuff comes to fruition, which would be one of the first really meaningful hardware jumps for the MBP line in a very long time, and thus highly desirable.

On technology in particular, you retain the value of your money by being smart up front, not when selling. We are heading into that season where there will be deals to be had, so keep your eyes open if you're set on a 2016/2017 model.

ibivibiv

macrumors regular
May 5, 2015
Got myself maxed out 2015 MBP while I am waiting for the 2020 MBP. I hope this none-sense Apple is doing with the MBP line will not continue

I am considering doing the same, I'm on a 2013 model. I am thinking of waiting it out a little longer to see if they make "a correction" quicker than 2020 lol. I'm hoping they do something like make a "plus" line or something. They obviously won't admit a mistake, but they can also launch a new line. Really I wish they would have launched this year's "Pro" as a "Plus" line for the Starbucks crowd so they could rake in more money and just did a tech refresh on cpu, gpu, etc. on the Pro line. I mean I get what they were doing. They tried to gimmick market to the casual crowd to juice them for more money, but man they really made it hard for legit pros to want to upgrade. Reminds me of the Mac Pro doughnut debacle. Now I'd rather have an iMac than that thing. All the attached things you needed to make it actually "Pro" was ridiculous.
[doublepost=1510249250][/doublepost]The only thing holding me back is giving up my NVidia chip for Cuda workload testing/dev locally. I may just pass on it and use cloud instances for cuda dev.

Rkuda

macrumors regular
May 23, 2016
lol you are REALLY reaching now. This statement you just made tells me everything I need to know. You don't work in this kind of situation on a daily basis and will say just about anything to back your argument. Yes, a dongle works but I am sitting in one of those rooms right now and I count 9 MBP's and not a dongle in sight. This is a meeting with a major tech vendor and a multi billion dollar multinational corporation. My laptop has the port needed, but that's because I didn't upgrade my MBP and won't until either USB-C shows up as the defacto video cable format or Apple releases a MBP with the most commonly used port in use.

In the real world people are busy. Dongles are ridiculous if you need them literally nearly every time. Apple jumped the gun.

It says more about you than it does me. I would have spent a tiny amount of money and packed the adaptor or cable in my bag and been prepared. Problem solved.

You have spent how long on this board complaining about a port that will most likely never come back?

Also I have worked in an office that had plenty of meetings, the thing is HDMI was never a panacea there.

Our computers were all Mac but we had a bunch of different types including 2015 MBPs, older MBPs without HDMI, MacBook Airs and some of the higher-ups had the new MacBooks which also didn't have HDMI. In addition clients would come in with older PCs using VGA or DVI, or newer ones like the Surface Pro 4 that also didn't have HDMI.

Reality is often less than perfect and the connector story for projectors in particular have pretty much sucked from day 1.

ibivibiv

macrumors regular
May 5, 2015
It says more about you than it does me. I would have spent a tiny amount of money and packed the adaptor or cable in my bag and been prepared. Problem solved.

You have spent how long on this board complaining about a port that will most likely never come back?

Also I have worked in an office that had plenty of meetings, the thing is HDMI was never a panacea there.

Our computers were all Mac but we had a bunch of different types including 2015 MBPs, older MBPs without HDMI, MacBook Airs and some of the higher-ups had the new MacBooks which also didn't have HDMI. In addition clients would come in with older PCs using VGA or DVI, or newer ones like the Surface Pro 4 that also didn't have HDMI.

Reality is often less than perfect and the connector story for projectors in particular have pretty much sucked from day 1.

Since you like links (and btw VGA and DVI are clearly not the defacto standard for video these days like HDMI is) and at least I MIGHT be able to find something for DVI, maybe even VGA to this day. Let's check the results for TV's and Projectors using USB-C for video ports:

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_s...82,n:1266092011,n:172659,n:6459737011,k:USB-C

We didn't find results for "USB-C"

Rkuda

macrumors regular
May 23, 2016
Since you like links (and btw VGA and DVI are clearly not the defacto standard for video these days like HDMI is) and at least I MIGHT be able to find something for DVI, maybe even VGA to this day. Let's check the results for TV's and Projectors using USB-C for video ports:

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=node=6459737011&field-keywords=USB-C&rh=n:172282,n:1266092011,n:172659,n:6459737011,k:USB-C

We didn't find results for "USB-C"

The point is HDMI is never coming back and you should get over it because your impotent whining will never bring it back on a future MBP. Honestly I could personally give a damn if TVs or projectors ever support USB-C because there is already a cheap easy solution to that problem.

Reactions: HenryDJP and KGB7

Rkuda

macrumors regular
May 23, 2016
You’re tying to change the goal posts, you started with the premise that the MBP wasn’t “professional” enough because It doesn’t have an HDMI port.

My argument is that it’s meaningless to keep complaining after 1+ year of this design being out because I can replicate the same experience with a USB-C to HDMI cable instead of a HDMI to HDMI cable.

Also I did not name call you.

ibivibiv

macrumors regular
May 5, 2015
You’re tying to change the goal posts, you started with the premise that the MBP wasn’t “professional” enough because It doesn’t have an HDMI port.

My argument is that it’s meaningless to keep complaining after 1+ year of this design being out because I can replicate the same experience with a USB-C to HDMI cable instead of a HDMI to HDMI cable.

Also I did not name call you.

Not changing the goal posts at all, so what you are saying is to fix the problem we should ask every company in the world to change their products to add a USB-C connector for video so in a professional setting like a conference room we can accommodate Apple's "bravery" and foresight for what we all need to do? That makes no sense at all. Apple has been a great product company throughout history for making things that "just work" and are intuitive and meet needs, even the ones you didn't realize you had. This is a serious deviation from that. Even in the past when they put out products with Thunderbolt that really wasn't used outside the Apple ecosphere they were clever enough to include other ports. This move makes no sense. And to the statement that complaining gets you nowhere, look no further than their stated change in direction of the Mac Pro line. They did this same garbage there with the donut design and realized their mistake and altered course. But it took people telling them to tell Ive's to stuff it and stop trying to sacrifice utility for "elegance" to get it done.

https://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2014/04/daisychainmacpro.jpg

oh boy, I'm so glad the Mac Pro was so simple and Elegant.........

Last edited:

Rkuda

macrumors regular
May 23, 2016
Not changing the goal posts at all, so what you are saying is to fix the problem we should ask every company in the world to change their products to add a USB-C connector for video so in a professional setting like a conference room we can accommodate Apple's "bravery" and foresight for what we all need to do?

I have no idea if USB-C is suitable for TVs and projectors. I would assume revisions to HDMI are adequate in those industries for the foreseeable future.

As stated many times my solution is to but the cable/adaptor and get on with life.

Not sure why this one tiny inconvenience is such a problem for you. It's not even like HDMI has a long storied history on these laptops. It was only available on 2013-2015 models.

That makes no sense at all.

This however has a long storied history of people not *getting* Apple and complaining when some pet feature they want gets removed, in the vast majority of cases those people never get their pet feature back and everyone moves on and adapts.

Expecting the 2018, 2019, or 2020 MBP to be as thick as the 2015 model, or bring back that mushy keyboard, or to bring back magsafe/usb-a/etc. are really misleading themselves.

It would be like asking/demanding Apple bring back the 30-pin cable, mechanical home button or headphone jack on the 2018 iPhones. It's just not going to happen.

Apple has been a great product company throughout history for making things that "just work" and are intuitive and meet needs, even the ones you didn't realize you had. This is a serious deviation from that. Even in the past when they put out products with Thunderbolt that really wasn't used outside the Apple ecosphere they were clever enough to include other ports. This move makes no sense.

Take a look at forums posts at anytime in history Apple has dumped something you'll see a ton of people complaining. If you asked them then if things "just worked" they would say hell no. You don't hear many people still complaining about the lack of a DVD drive in MBPs though. They either adapted or moved on.

Having only USB-C makes sense because that port can become any of those old ports with the right cable or adaptor. USB-C is also the industry standard going forward, not just a Apple thing as Thunderbolt 2 basically was.

And to the statement that complaining gets you nowhere, look no further than their stated change in direction of the Mac Pro line. They did this same garbage there with the donut design and realized their mistake and altered course. But it took people telling them to tell Ive's to stuff it and stop trying to sacrifice utility for "elegance" to get it done.

For this to work the complaints have to be backed up with lack of sales. Over the past 3 years I doubt the trashcan Mac Pro sold to many people outside of the Youtube vlogger market. Apple totally missed the mark on it because it was outdated almost immediately and that design left them virtually nowhere to go with regards to CPU or GPU upgrades.

If you check Apple's financials you'll see Mac sales are up, I wouldn't expect a Mac Pro situation to happen to these new MBPs.

https://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2014/04/daisychainmacpro.jpg

oh boy, I'm so glad the Mac Pro was so simple and Elegant.........

It was pretty technically impressive to have 20-30 peripherals all connected and working at the same time like that, especially at the time. But, the desktop workstation market isn't the market to sell portability, simplicity and elegance on - those concerns are well well below things like absolute computing power and internal upgradability.

kokomoko

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2017
@Rkuda I am not misleading myself the 2020 MBP will have USB-A or HDMI. I am probably misleading myself the 2020 design iteration will be able to satisfy my work needs for the next 3-4 years out of the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.