Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Just tried to edit some photos on my 2009 15" MacBook Pro, and it takes like 10 seconds to render any edit in Capture One. The productive lifespan of that machine is over, it seems. I have been using it pretty much every single day the past 8 years, even though I have been doing all the heavy lifting on my desktop for the past few years.

I don't know if I want to wait another year before being able to be productive on my notebook again, or if I want to bite the Apple and spend the €3.3k now. Hard decision, but writing this on an 8 year old computer which worked absolutely perfect for almost 3000 days of use might be an indication that the new one may cost just €1 per day of use. :)

The Reasonable One

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016
Secret Bunker Testing 2018 17" MBP
Just tried to edit some photos on my 2009 15" MacBook Pro, and it takes like 10 seconds to render any edit in Capture One. The productive lifespan of that machine is over, it seems. I have been using it pretty much every single day the past 8 years, even though I have been doing all the heavy lifting on my desktop for the past few years.

I don't know if I want to wait another year before being able to be productive on my notebook again, or if I want to bite the Apple and spend the €3.3k now. Hard decision, but writing this on an 8 year old computer which worked absolutely perfect for almost 3000 days of use might be an indication that the new one may cost just €1 per day of use. :)
Wait for the PowerBook//late 2017/2018 macbook pro. Ming seems to think it will be spectacular. He's been pretty on the money lately so I feel his word can be trusted

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Wait for the PowerBook//late 2017/2018 macbook pro. Ming seems to think it will be spectacular. He's been pretty on the money lately so I feel his word can be trusted

Yeah, I feel the same. Especially after trying to edit a few photos in Capture One on one of the 2016 MBPs in a store yesterday. Didn't feel any faster than my 2012 quad-core Mac Mini, to be honest.

Just ordered a 12.9" iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil though. If I can get this thing to work with my Mac Mini using Astropad I might just be able to edit some photos comfortably on my couch, which would make the waiting process much easier. After sitting at a desk in my office for up to 12 hours a day I just don't want to spend any more time sitting at a desk in my free time ...

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Ming was accurate? ipad in march, no, macbook pro update with 32 gb ram? no
So i dont know how accurate on date is..so the next big thing can be in 2019 when we will have DDR5 and CL cpu
So buy now, or wait for 2019

kipwheeler

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2016

He predicted a "macbook" (unclear if pro or not) with 32 gb ram in late October. He stated there was only a 70% chance of an iPad in March. Those aren't technically wrong, as the first hasn't yet hit the deadline the second was stated as a probability.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
I'm waiting for the update with the detachable battery like the 2007 pre-Unibody had in its lower case. Having to take a MacBook Pro completely apart and then use a glue solvent to remove the batteries is ridiculous.

You'll be waiting untill Covfefelake comes out, or until the cows fly over the moon! :)

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Do not think so, Apple gave up on powerful laptops. They are pushing eGPU for VR on laptops...

:rolleyes:

Gave up on powerful laptops? You could have made an argument for the desktop space, but the MacBook pros have almost always been exactly where they need to be. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want a hulking iBuyPower mobile desktop with 30 mins of battery life, go buy one.

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
In the desktop space they admitted the Mac Pro fiasco and promised to make amends with iMac pro as a stop gap and New MacPro next year.

The laptop line is a mess, both lines thin and underpowered with lack of connectivity, and they are pushing for the iPad as a "pro" portable machine. According to syntetic benchmarks even today iPad Pro si faster than MB and 13" MBP. To push VR, which is the new frontier according to them, they advertised desktops and TB3+eGPU.

So yes they gave up on laptops for their useless race to thin and light.

Last edited:

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
He predicted a "macbook" (unclear if pro or not) with 32 gb ram in late October. He stated there was only a 70% chance of an iPad in March. Those aren't technically wrong, as the first hasn't yet hit the deadline the second was stated as a probability.
I predict a new iphone in sept 90% and new imac next year also 90%

Reactions: Patcell

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
There's no reason to wait for Coffee Lake. Your laptop will not be VR gaming capable outside of the box, no way graphics technology will move there in a year. 2019 is the year of the upgrade as both graphics and processor will move to a smaller lithology process which will bring the next significant jump in performance.

HerbertDerb

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2017
So i dont know how accurate on date is..so the next big thing can be in 2019 when we will have DDR5 and CL cpu
So buy now, or wait for 2019
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/05/13/kuo-wwdc-10-5-ipad-siri-speaker/

Touchscreen Siri speaker.... Yeah right.

TBH Ming is no longer trusted "leaker". We are not going to see 32gb MBP ram this year. (because of covfefelake)

Coffee lake is speculated to be released around 2017/2018 schedule. Intel usually releases chips for Apple after the mainstream has been allready introduced. So Q1 2018 at earliest for Intel to announce chips for Apple.

Annnnnd as we know, Apple takes ages to actually prepare the chips for their products, and then release them.

So 2018 Q2 earliest we might see MBP 2018.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
4 core 13"
LPDDR4
i mean this is my own interpretation. Intel already advertised their mobile chips as "up to 30% faster than kaby lake"

so take that as you will. is "up to 30% faster" worth waiting another year? Only you can answer that based off your needs.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Up to 30% means the highest end chip will be 30% faster but the lower chips may not be. Perhaps they'll just be 10% or 15%. That means instead of 10 seconds of processing a video conversion it will take 9 seconds. Without a stop watch in hand, you may not be able to tell the difference.

I'd say it'd be worth holding off buying a new computer for a month or two to get the bump if you're spending $3k anyway, but a whole year? I would rather enjoy the current tech. All this assumes you have a desire/need to upgrade "soon".

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
Wait, are you saying there will be a better computer that will come out in the future? Typical Apple cash grab!

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
Intel already advertised their mobile chips as "up to 30% faster than kaby lake"

so take that as you will. is "up to 30% faster" worth waiting another year? Only you can answer that based off your needs.

30% faster than the same KL chip. So 15" MBP performance improvement should not be that high. But if you can put a quad core into a 13" (which now has 2 cores) the jump in performance should be higher...

And LPDDR4 will remove Apple's excuse for not offering 32GB in laptops (for those who need it)

Last edited:

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
IMHO there is a good reason to avoid the first iteration of a new Apple product, like the 2016 MBP. If you were on the sideline like myself (2007 is my last MBP, I decide to skip the Retina round in 2012 because of a not so good reason looking back at things) for a reasonable amount of time, this is a great time to jump into the cycle, even If I would have preferred 32GB of ram for personal reasons. But if you have a top spec 2014 or newer MacBook Pro and are thinking of updating, then you are just looking for reasons to spend money. Top spec Macs from 2012 are still running great... my 2012 iMac is running fine, 2012 MacBook Air is fine, so if you are in that camp..then I think you can wait for something like the coffeecake CPU ;)

ilian92

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2012
IMHO there is a good reason to avoid the first iteration of a new Apple product, like the 2016 MBP. If you were on the sideline like myself (2007 is my last MBP, I decide to skip the Retina round in 2012 because of a not so good reason looking back at things) for a reasonable amount of time, this is a great time to jump into the cycle, even If I would have preferred 32GB of ram for personal reasons. But if you have a top spec 2014 or newer MacBook Pro and are thinking of updating, then you are just looking for reasons to spend money. Top spec Macs from 2012 are still running great... my 2012 iMac is running fine, 2012 MacBook Air is fine, so if you are in that camp..then I think you can wait for something like the coffeecake CPU ;)

I think we're just at that stage in computing now that you mostly buy new models when the old one stops working or becomes really slow (which takes a few years anyway). For *most* people it's really not necessary. I wanted to buy the 2016 model but my 2011 was working just fine for what I use it for back then, so couldn't justify the expense to just get another computer that does the same stuff, even if it has a better screen etc.

Now that my 2011 is dead I've ordered the 2017, because I need to have a computer. And I'm not feeling bad about the next version being better, because honestly, if it isn't, something is really wrong. :)

mixart

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
My rMBP 15" 2.6Ghz/Iris Pro Late 2013 is fast enough for me for Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. Sometimes I ran out of memory (16GB), but that only happens when I have big files in Photoshop open and many other apps open at the same time. I bought the LG UltraFine 5K and my current rMBP does lag with 5K resolution. 24GB memory would be enough for me, but it's either 16 or 32GB memory for a future Macbook pro laptop. I think I will just order the new 2017 and upgrade when Cannonlake comes to Macbook Pro with LPDDR4 32GB and sell the 2017 Macbook Pro.

CAWjr

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The age old adage works here.
Buy the laptop now if you need it now, wait if you don't need it.

This is the real advice everyone needs to follow, but I would add "buy it now & then buy the new one next year if you can afford it."

I bought a refurb 15" MBP TB in April because I NEEDED a new machine. I had been waiting for a newer & better iMac or MBP to come out, but I fell into the cycle of "next year will be even better" which really amounted to "I don't NEED a new machine now." I was one who blasted the USB-C, touchbar, and price when they first came out, but when I actually NEEDED a new machine, all that went out the window.

Same thing with my car. I had wanted a Lexus GX forever, but I hated the rear barn door that swings out instead of up. When my wife's old car died, it forced the decision to simply live with the barn door because I could no longer wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.