Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Actually what I wait for is that some key specs to my current machine are doubled at the same price I payed. So my Dual Core 13" 1TB SSD and 16 GB RAM should be a quad core with 32GB RAM and 2 TB SSD. Also I would like to go back to 15".

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I don't think RAM is the limiting factor it was 10 years ago. With SSD speeds and bus controller speeds increasing, as well as CPU caches, RAM just isn't the issue it once was. It's nice to have but not always essential, and waiting for things to double will take a long time. I don't think we'll ever see 256GB of RAM in a consumer laptop, RAM would probably be long obsolete before that point. So we should see 32GB in around 2020 in majority of high end, with 16GB being the baseline. But 64GB? 128GB? I mean all RAM is effectively is a memory buffer for applications to use during calculations, if you had a terrible CPU it'd be critical to the function, but if the CPU could speedily go through the stuff then it's not needed is it?

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
30% faster than the same KL chip. So 15" MBP performance improvement should not be that high. But if you can put a quad core into a 13" (which now has 2 cores) the jump in performance should be higher...

And LPDDR4 will remove Apple's excuse for not offering 32GB in laptops (for those who need it)
16gb vs 32gb, i don't have comment on that, i personally don't need 32gb

but intel directly quoted a comparison between a dual core and a similar "quad core" variant.

my feeling is always that your mileage may vary. When you are creating everything using the same TDP and lithology process, you don't often create magic. IE, intel would have to make a much larger chip with a much larger TDP to actually double the power of current dual core chips. We're probably sacrificing some single core performance for a "up to 30% quad core" performance.

profH

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2017
Pasadena, CA
I have always been rewarded for waiting for incremental updates (like this one) and punished for purchasing new major redesigns (15" rMPB debut I'm looking at you). This never seems to change. Waiting for and then buying the next big thing on the horizon always ends in a world of hurt and hassle.

ilian92

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2012
Actually what I wait for is that some key specs to my current machine are doubled at the same price I payed. So my Dual Core 13" 1TB SSD and 16 GB RAM should be a quad core with 32GB RAM and 2 TB SSD. Also I would like to go back to 15".

You'd probably have to wait a while for these specs at today's prices. And seeing how prices have gone up on comparable models of 4-5 years ago, it might not happen anytime soon. That said it's the same logic I mentioned earlier - as long as your current machine does the job it's more difficult to justify spending so much on a new one. No middle ground unfortunately. :(

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
When you are creating everything using the same TDP and lithology process, you don't often create magic. IE, intel would have to make a much larger chip with a much larger TDP to actually double the power of current dual core chips. We're probably sacrificing some single core performance for a "up to 30% quad core" performance.

I too do not believe double performance going from 2 cores to 4, but at least a 50/60% increase is credible, and if one is on the market for a 13" MBP it would be worth the wait.

Intel directly quoted a comparison between a dual core and a similar "quad core" variant.

link?

A Quad core chip would also mean all 4 TB ports full speed for the 13" TB vesion...

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
You'd probably have to wait a while for these specs at today's prices. And seeing how prices have gone up on comparable models of 4-5 years ago, it might not happen anytime soon. That said it's the same logic I mentioned earlier - as long as your current machine does the job it's more difficult to justify spending so much on a new one. No middle ground unfortunately. :(

Yeah I probably have to wait a while but that also somehow a good thing. My machine is plenty fast for everything I do so why upgrade. The invention of the SSD somehow rendered the upgrade need away. I also put a SSD in my wife's 2010 MacBook and it runs perfect to this day.

ilian92

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2012
Yeah I probably have to wait a while but that also somehow a good thing. My machine is plenty fast for everything I do so why upgrade. The invention of the SSD somehow rendered the upgrade need away. I also put a SSD in my wife's 2010 MacBook and it runs perfect to this day.

Yep, 100%. It's more or less use until it breaks down for a lot of people.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Yep, 100%. It's more or less use until it breaks down for a lot of people.
Ant that explains why SSD are so expensive, because they (manufacturer) cash in on that knowing that people won't update their device.

ilian92

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2012
Ant that explains why SSD are so expensive, because they (manufacturer) cash in on that knowing that people won't update their device.

Potentially yeah. They know that a computer is a long term purchase and since it's not upgradable they can charge more. I'd be interested to see the cost breakdown comparison between different brands for comparably specced machines, including Macbooks.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
The 2018 MacBook Pro would be the first real taste of VR in an Apple notebook line natively for game play, video editing and software development. It would be the first Apple notebook to seriously show off High Sierra too and features such as Metal, Machine Learning, ARKit. Apple would also want a family of devices that are VR/AR ready for sure.

By the time they are on 2018 MBPs, we will have a higher Sierra waiting on us.

Reactions: Populus and Patcell

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
By the time they are on 2018 MBPs, we will have a higher Sierra waiting on us.
I initially wrote that from the perspective another MBP would be ready by March, but with the delay of Coffee Lake until 2018, we probably won't see the new MBP until fall 2018. Which means, macOS 10.14 would be out by then.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
There is a point to be made for waiting for a node change update. If you look at GPU's, Pascal was much better than Maxwell in terms of performance/power consumption. I would say it's more relevant for those looking to upgrade from older machines than people requiring a new machine.

clangers23

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2016
It won't be far off 12 months before Coffee Lake based laptops are available. I'd be interested in the 6 core mobile CPU. I saw a Lenovo roadmap online a few weeks ago for future releases of their workstation range (P60 & P80), that was for May 2018.

We do also have Ryzen mobile upcoming, Ryzen has certainly shaken Intel in the desktop market, who knows the next Apple MacBook Pro could have a Ryzen mobile CPU?

CRSE1978

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2017
Buy the computer you need, when you need it.

2019 computer will blow away the 2018 computer. 2020 will blow both away and probably be a redesign.
Ok but i am sitting on a gift card to buy a new one because i returned one last Christmas, since my 2011 MacBook Air was still working lol. I saved the gift card waiting on the newer model (when I actually need it), but now my "want" is starting to outweigh my "need" lol. What do I do??? Buy now, wait for 2018? Help lol!! I assume either of the will be lightyears faster than what i currently have, correct? As you can see I am not a heavy user and want one that will last so what say ye, buy now or wait for 2018?

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Ok but i am sitting on a gift card to buy a new one because i returned one last Christmas, since my 2011 MacBook Air was still working lol. I saved the gift card waiting on the newer model (when I actually need it), but now my "want" is starting to outweigh my "need" lol. What do I do??? Buy now, wait for 2018? Help lol!! I assume either of the will be lightyears faster than what i currently have, correct? As you can see I am not a heavy user and want one that will last so what say ye, buy now or wait for 2018?

2017 MBPs have just been released, buy now if you want/need it. Or wait till next year for the 2018 model. It really isn't that difficult, there will always be a newer one out 'next year'. If you want one then now is a good time as it's a brand new release, as opposed to buying something this time next year when you're talking about a month till newer models. The internet isn't going to curtail your 'want' into justifying a need, it's just speculative wanting to spend money. As always, and as was said in what you quoted, buy something you need when you need it. Otherwise you're just wasting time dreaming.

And yes, anything will be significantly faster than a 2011 Air.

ChinkyBob

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
(current year): don't buy this one. there's gonna be something cooler on next year's model

(next year): don't buy this one. there's gonna be something cooler on next year's model

(next year): don't buy this one. there's gonna be something cooler on next year's model

etc. etc. etc. etc. forever and ever until the heat death of the universe

Story of my life.
Still rockin a MacBook Air 2011 and Mac Mini quad 2012. Was waiting for an updated 17inch that never came and ummed and ahh'd waiting for the nect big thing. ☹

pzt9

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2017
(current year): don't buy this one. there's gonna be something cooler on next year's model

etc. etc. etc. etc. forever and ever until the heat death of the universe
current evidence suggests a cold death not heat death of the universe

macuser99999

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2017
Don't touch the 2017 Macbookpro. It's a MAJRO FAILURE. The keyboard is so frikin loud -- like an ancient frikin typewrite. It's IMPOSSIBLE to type quietly on it. Anyone knows when the 2018 model will be out?

Reactions: cvm19

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Yesterday, Apple launched new updates to the MacBook Pro. This is 8 to 9 months after the 2016 release. The 2017 MacBook Pro's include the new 7th generation Intel Kabylake processors, faster graphics and SSDs. If you are coming from a 2015 MacBook Pro, they might be relatively substantial. Apart from these internal upgrades, the external design remains the same, which includes in the butterfly keyboard, touch bar and large trackpad. Users who were hoping for 32 GBs of RAM, might actually have to wait a bit longer to see that option.

Which brings me to my main point. The 2017 spec update keeps the MacBook Pro current for the next 8 to 9 months, but it feels like a possible lay over for something bigger. Intel's 8th generation processor update is called Coffeelake, which will be ready this coming August. Knowing Apple, certain parts won't be ready right away, but its still based on the 14 NM process. Which means, it probably won't take too long for possible parts to become available within 8 months of its release. Based on reports from Foxconn insiders, Apple started assembling the 2017 MacBook Pros in February. Testing and evaluation was probably three months early (the same time the 2016 models were coming to market).

So, Apple is likely to get suitable Coffeelake parts to test at least three months after launch, which is around October 2017. Assembly, will likely start a few months later, around January 2018, which give or take could mean, we might not see the 2018 MacBook Pro until around April, March, the earliest. I don't think Apple wants to do WWDC with the type of hardware launch they did this week. Its just too much information and planning required.

It just seems unreasonable for Apple to wait another year to update the MacBook Pro again. So, my best estimates is April 2018 for the next update. There is also the iMac Pro of course, which means, Apple could intentionally delay further MacBook Pro updates so they can give iMac Pro room to shine. There is a larger picture behind why Apple could do rapid succession of updates to its hardware line.

iPhone 2018 - September 2017
iMac Pro - December 2017 (4 months later)
MacBook Pro/iPad Pro - April 2018 (4 months later)

What would be the reason for waiting? Apart from being another spec update: AR and VR.

The 2018 MacBook Pro would be the first real taste of VR in an Apple notebook line natively for game play, video editing and software development. It would be the first Apple notebook to seriously show off High Sierra too and features such as Metal, Machine Learning, ARKit. Apple would also want a family of devices that are VR/AR ready for sure.

If these things are important to you, then, waiting might be worth it. Also, if you want to get the best bang for your buck, it would be best way to go.

At the end of the day, if you need a notebook now, might as well get it. If you can care what have and stretch it out to next year, you can be rewarded. If things like DDR4 32 GBs of RAM matter to you, then you are not gonna get that until 2019 MacBook Pro.

I bought a 15" 2010 MBP back in 2010. And today, it's still running great. No need to wait for anything. Buy what you need and use it, and then move on with your life. Get out and exercise or something. Quit smoking. Have sex. Volunteer at a homeless shelter. Whatever. There are things in life that are way more important than having the latest and greatest computer. Seriously folks.

Reactions: HenryDJP

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
I bought a 15" 2010 MBP back in 2010. And today, it's still running great. No need to wait for anything. Buy what you need and use it, and then move on with your life. Get out and exercise or something. Quit smoking. Have sex. Volunteer at a homeless shelter. Whatever. There are things in life that are way more important than having the latest and greatest computer. Seriously folks.

Well, you're partially right, however, what would you recommend me to do if I have a older MBP with 16 GB of RAM and I need more, because you for example run:

Xcode/Visual Studio + iOS Simulator (4G+) + Safari with plenty of tabs (another 4G taken easily, sadly :( ), 1 GB+ is used as VRAM with external display, Mail, Slack (another 1 GB), some VM (used for example while developing app for BLE SoC which has Win-only IDE (Cypress) - 4G+)... And I'd have my RAM basically depleted.

I would buy 16 GB MacBook Pro, however, not for these prices (3350 USD here for 13"/512G/16G, 15" costs like 3500 USD) - ~3300 USDs are more than 2 average monthly wages here.

The Macs are getting more and more pricey - if 16 GB was standard for 13" as well, it would be a different story as I would pay 2000 EUR for it (13"/16/512 config), but it isn't worth the current prices. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.