Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
They did exactly that during the PowerPC to Intel transition. They didn't just immediately EOL PowerPC machines people had
Yes, but the difference back then was that PowerMacs were priced in the 2k range, whereas it seems normal to configure the new Mac Pro in 10k to 20k range. If a company wanted to buy 5 Mac Pros at 15,000 a pop, i.e., 75,000 they would be understandably pissed knowing their large investment is a dead-end product. Apple is marketing the new Mac Pros at the large film shops, don't you think they would want assurances that this investment would be safe?

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I won’t lie, very tempted by this (due to doing a lot of .NET work).

Man that's actually really really nice. If i was a PC guy/wasn't locked to Mac, the XPS 17 or the Razer Blade 15 Studio would be a no brainer for me.
[automerge]1589396512[/automerge]
Yes, but the difference back then was that PowerMacs were priced in the 2k range, whereas it seems normal to configure the new Mac Pro in 10k to 20k range. If a company wanted to buy 5 Mac Pros at 15,000 a pop, i.e., 75,000 they would be understandably pissed knowing their large investment is a dead-end product. Apple is marketing the new Mac Pros at the large film shops, don't you think they would want assurances that this investment would be safe?

I think they wouldn't be that worried realistically. Except for maybe in the highest of the high end of that film market where they can afford to always be on the cutting edge (and none of them can make content right now anyway). As far as i'm seeing, they're a lot less worried about the latest and greatest than you'd think they'd be. It's not like any of them who just bought the new Mac Pro will be immediately upgrading again in 2021. Long as the current Mac Pro they just bought still has it's normal warranty/support period before being declared vintage/not supported by Apple and the versions of the pro-softwares they use still run on those systems, the majority of them will not be concerned. My company is still running almost exclusively ancient Mac Pro's because "it all still works, why should we upgrade?". If anything, the gear these companies already have is even more valuable because it's something stable that will hold them over through a transition period, the ease or difficulty of which is unknown.

Last edited:

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
After seeing the new dell 15 and 17 inch screens, them bezels.?

Won’t be upgrading from my 2016 13 inch MacBook Pro, until Apple pulls their finger out and shrinks them bezels like dell did.

Or unless the keyboard gives in, or it stops working. ?

Really no excuse to why Apple hasn’t followed most of the market and killed the bezels already.

HURRY UP APPLE FFS!!! ?

Chompineer

Suspended
Mar 31, 2020
Ontario
After having 5 XPS, you’d have to pay me to own one again. Poor build quality, all sorts of weird problems, poor thermals, and the maglev keyboard on the 2-in-1 is beyond screwed. The carbon fibre rubberized top is also complete crap. It looks like trash all the time because it picks up oil so well, and it feels cheap and wears down. Dell is also just a ****** company to deal with.

I don’t understand this desire for zero bezels? Like it doesn’t look any better to me. Seems more flimsy if anything, and no hard black space to reference to.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
After having 5 XPS, you’d have to pay me to own one again. Poor build quality, all sorts of weird problems, poor thermals, and the maglev keyboard on the 2-in-1 is beyond screwed. The carbon fibre rubberized top is also complete crap. It looks like trash all the time because it picks up oil so well, and it feels cheap and wears down. Dell is also just a ****** company to deal with.

I don’t understand this desire for zero bezels? Like it doesn’t look any better to me. Seems more flimsy if anything, and no hard black space to reference to.
you can fit a smaller footprint with smaller bezels but keep larger screen sizes (relatively). theres a practical value i can get.

but aesthetics wise i agree..don't really care either way as long as i have a good screen

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London

I have had good experiences with my XPS systems, especially the 13 - literally bullet proof, my 2 year old son has jumped on that thing and all other sorts and it keeps chugging on.

In UK at least, it is easier to deal with and arrange more convenient repairs with Dell than with Apple.

jonnyr78

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
In UK at least, it is easier to deal with and arrange more convenient repairs with Dell than with Apple.

I don't agree with this, if you live near an Apple store. And Apple exchange policy is easier to use as well.

As for the new XPS 15, the grass is not always greener, from this review: https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/dell-xps-15-2020

"At 13.57 x 9 x 0.7 inches and 4.5 pounds, the new XPS 15 is roughly the same size as the 16-inch MacBook Pro (14.1 x 9.7 x 0.64 inches, 4.3 pounds) despite the latter’s bigger screen."

"The 512GB SSD in Dell’s laptop transferred roughly 5GB of files in 7 seconds on our custom file transfer test, for a transfer rate of 708.9 MBps. That blazes past the Surface Laptop 3’s 256GB SSD (282.7 MBps). But while it’s not an apples-to-apples comparison, the 512GB SSD in the 16-inch MacBook Pro was predictably blistering, turning in a write speed of 2,805 MBps and a read speed of 2,540 on the Blackmagic disk speed test. "

"The XPS 15 ran Shadow of the Tomb Raider at a playable 29 frames per second at 1080p with max settings, just barely edging out the Radeon Pro 5300M in our 16-inch MacBook Pro (27.2 fps)."

The keys have a "soft touch" coating to that will definately wear badly...

And then

"The 16-inch MacBook Pro lasted nearly three hours longer at 10 hours and 55 minutes with its 2072 x 1920 display,"

Reactions: souko

Mdv2

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Do you guys reckon there will be a configuration upgrade for the MBP this year at all (the base model perhaps?). My MBP late 2013 is starting to show its age and I am not sure I want to wait for another year (no idea when in 2021 the 14" would be released).

mbaire

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2020
Spain
Do you guys reckon there will be a configuration upgrade for the MBP this year at all (the base model perhaps?). My MBP late 2013 is starting to show its age and I am not sure I want to wait for another year (no idea when in 2021 the 14" would be released).

If you can wait I would at least wait for WWDC or early July. Although with Apple's random renewals, you never know and it could be like last year in November

I’m waiting for the base MBP 13” and I will wait at the end of June

Reactions: Mdv2

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
If you can wait until the back to school deal starts for the base model I would as if it’s receiving a processor bump it’ll likely be then. If you can’t then the 8th Gen chips still perform very well and if I’ve read correctly the graphics are only really outperformed by G7 graphics with the 645 in the base model being similar to the G4. With regards to design I think the rumoured 12” “ARMBook” for WWDC even though not releasing until 2021 will be a very good indication of the future of MacBook design for the next 3/4 years including Pro’s, Air’s etc. With things like Bezels and Performance being key improvements.

Mdv2

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
If you can wait until the back to school deal starts for the base model I would as if it’s receiving a processor bump it’ll likely be then. If you can’t then the 8th Gen chips still perform very well and if I’ve read correctly the graphics are only really outperformed by G7 graphics with the 645 in the base model being similar to the G4. With regards to design I think the rumoured 12” “ARMBook” for WWDC even though not releasing until 2021 will be a very good indication of the future of MacBook design for the next 3/4 years including Pro’s, Air’s etc. With things like Bezels and Performance being key improvements.

I usually keep my Macbooks for 4-5 years. I have this one now for 6 years and it still works quite well, even the battery isn't that bad, but the 2.4 i5 processor is showing its age. I use my macbook for ordinary stuff, but also for day trading and the trading engines are taking their toll on the processor and 8GB memory. So for that purpose alone, I'd like to upgrade, but I can wait for a few more months.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
I usually keep my Macbooks for 4-5 years. I have this one now for 6 years and it still works quite well, even the battery isn't that bad, but the 2.4 i5 processor is showing its age. I use my macbook for ordinary stuff, but also for day trading and the trading engines are taking their toll on the processor and 8GB memory. So for that purpose alone, I'd like to upgrade, but I can wait for a few more months.
I’m planning to get the £1799 model for starting university in September with the student deal it’s reduced to £1618.80 which is decent for 512/16 plus whatever the Back To School deal is this year most likely free beats(The buy button will be getting pressed as soon as the deal starts). I’ll likely keep that for 5+ years at the very least. My concern is the longevity of the battery health if I’m frequently using it most days for that length of time

Muyfa666

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2019
Sweden
Again, there is really nothing else I wish for with this refresh. Bezels and webcam are of less importance to me and I really like the design of the current MBP (and MBA for that matter).

If not for the keyboard I would've kept the 2019 MBP.

If something truly amazing comes along 2021 I'll just buy that instead. Easy as that.

Reactions: manuel.s90

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
Again, there is really nothing else I wish for with this refresh. Bezels and webcam are of less importance to me and I really like the design of the current MBP (and MBA for that matter).

If not for the keyboard I would've kept the 2019 MBP.

If something truly amazing comes along 2021 I'll just buy that instead. Easy as that.
Yeah I’m really happy with the refresh webcam yes could have been better but with iPhones and iPads it’s less of a necessity which doesn’t bother me. Bezels being thinner would have been nice but as you said the design is still sleek and modern. The £1799 mode is a great value with its starting configuration so there’s really nothing to complain about

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wake me up when MBP will have a screen-to-body ratio of 93 percent like today's introduced DELL XPS laptops.

View attachment 914751
No question that Dell has been hitting its stride with design and even performance. While apple was focused on butterfly keyboards and touchbars, Dell was moving forward with some really nice designs.

The 15 and 17" models are beautiful.

Muyfa666

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2019
Sweden
No question that Dell has been hitting its stride with design and even performance. While apple was focused on butterfly keyboards and touchbars, Dell was moving forward with some really nice designs.

The 15 and 17" models are beautiful.
XPS are nice machines - in theory! I tried many different versions through the years, and while I liked the product per se, all of them had QC issues that made me return them. Loose keys, dead pixels and worst of all - coil whine!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.