Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KoolSafak

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2020
Just a quick reminder what happened last time with the design change (2016). Never buy 1gen Apple products lol

Moreover, last platform change there was Steve Jobs around. And Apple switched to the chips that everyone used. Now is a different story though.

I'm going for this 2020 MBP. Want to be safe, like with my 2015 MBP. This transition is going to be rough

Reactions: manuel.s90

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Just a quick reminder what happened last time with the design change (2016). Never buy 1gen Apple products lol

Moreover, last platform change there was Steve Jobs around. And Apple switched to the chips that everyone used. Now is a different story though.

I'm going for this 2020 MBP. Want to be safe, like with my 2015 MBP. This transition is going to be rough
Right, because principally Arm platforms are definitely as niche as it gets ;)

Chompineer

Suspended
Mar 31, 2020
Ontario
Right, because principally Arm platforms are definitely as niche as it gets ;)

ARM development is common, but many important things are written for x86 only and many things end up having dependencies that are ancient, haven’t been updated in years and are x86. You start to notice this limitation a lot when working with raspberry pi’s.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
ARM development is common, but many important things are written for x86 only and many things end up having dependencies that are ancient, haven’t been updated in years and are x86. You start to notice this limitation a lot when working with raspberry pi’s.
'many things' is a little vague... any specifics you can give? For Apple centric developers, those who specifically develop for Apple platform(s) first, the tools required will all be provided by Apple, as part of the development kits.

For software which isn't Apple first, ultimately there's always effort that's going to need to be put in to bring that software for Mac, even if it's written for x86 Windows first. I'm pretty sure if it's worth the time to port your software to Mac x86, that's not going to change for Mac Arm, and vice versa.

Ultimately I don't think being on the same architecture as Windows really has helped the Mac to build a thriving software ecosystem, indeed I don't think that was ever really the point - Apple were after the best performance/ watt, and it just happened to be Intel that could provide it at that time.

awesomedeluxe

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
The rumors said 2020 for ARM, now 2021. But the reality I'm seeing is Intel giving Apple their very own special snowflake part, just like when the Macbook Air launched.

I would not discount the possibility that Intel has won back Apple's business.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The rumors said 2020 for ARM, now 2021. But the reality I'm seeing is Intel giving Apple their very own special snowflake part, just like when the Macbook Air launched.

I would not discount the possibility that Intel has won back Apple's business.
Apple has long gotten custom 28W processors for the Pro. The Air processors are slightly modified.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
I'd expect Apple to still get some chips from Intel for the next while regardless as they're not going to transition their whole line overnight.

mbaire

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2020
Spain
you don’t think that there will be an update for the 1.4GHz base model soon (July?). In 2019 a base MBP model was released in May and then another base in July ?

PS:what a way to make customers dizzy... ?

Last edited:

manuel.s90

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2020
Just cancelled my base model order and went for the 10th gen instead. Since I'll be using this device for my work every single day, I didn't want to make too many compromises which I would regret later on. With 16 GB RAM and 512 GB storage the price difference really isn't that huge.

While I'm excited to see what Apple will come up with regarding ARM and a 14" display, it's most certainly going to be even more expensive and as mentioned before, investing in first gen devices for productivity/work isn't always the smartest choice.

I think this 2020 10th gen MBP will be a great machine for years to come. And even if Apple had a very intriguing, reliable and kind of affordable ARM MacBook on the market next year and I would really want to get it, the resale value of the 2020 10th gen would proportionally be better than that of the 2020 8th gen I suppose.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
'many things' is a little vague... any specifics you can give? For Apple centric developers, those who specifically develop for Apple platform(s) first, the tools required will all be provided by Apple, as part of the development kits.

For software which isn't Apple first, ultimately there's always effort that's going to need to be put in to bring that software for Mac, even if it's written for x86 Windows first. I'm pretty sure if it's worth the time to port your software to Mac x86, that's not going to change for Mac Arm, and vice versa.

Ultimately I don't think being on the same architecture as Windows really has helped the Mac to build a thriving software ecosystem, indeed I don't think that was ever really the point - Apple were after the best performance/ watt, and it just happened to be Intel that could provide it at that time.

I don’t know, when Windows tried the RT experiment, didn’t work out well.

How many developers will make a Mac, Windows and Mac(ARM) version of their applications?

We just have to look at how dire development was for the Touch Bar which is relatively non-existent.

There are so many odd applications you install on your laptop which could become a headache when the new laptop doesn’t support it.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I don’t know, when Windows tried the RT experiment, didn’t work out well.

How many developers will make a Mac, Windows and Mac(ARM) version of their applications?

We just have to look at how dire development was for the Touch Bar which is relatively non-existent.

There are so many odd applications you install on your laptop which could become a headache when the new laptop doesn’t support it.
That's Microsoft, and RT was a sideshow. This is Apple and it will be an all encompassing transition. No comparison there. Absolutely none.

It's not about Mac x86 and Mac Arm in perpetuity, its a transition. It's unlikely to take more than a couple of years for this exact reason.

Again, Apple's mistake with the Touch Bar is not including it on every Mac model, meaning fragmentation and little incentive to put in the effort for a minority of Mac users. Just doubly underlines why Apple needs to come out swinging and switch models over as rapidly as it can.

Again, 'so many' really vague. Unless you can point to some specific software that's wildly popular and has no chance of being brought to Arm Macs, this is irrelevant.

Reactions: DanMan619

Mdv2

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's Microsoft, and RT was a sideshow. This is Apple and it will be an all encompassing transition. No comparison there. Absolutely none.

It's not about Mac x86 and Mac Arm in perpetuity, its a transition. It's unlikely to take more than a couple of years for this exact reason.
At this point are we really even sure Apple is going to go all in with ARM? They just released their new Mac Pro, I think if they made an announcement of dropping intel in WWDC, that would have a very negative impact on their professional products. I think what's more likely is that they will transition to ARM on some products like the MBA and Mac Mini and leave the "pro" products on intel.

My other thought can really go either way, but its related to developers and Apple's 10% marketshare. Other then getting MS and Adobe to be on board for an ARM based product, other developers may not be willing (or able) to transition over and opt to leave, OR just use their less featured iOS app. For instance, MS office on the Mac is a lot more featured then iOS, yet we could see MS decide to just port the iPad version of Office to ARM macOS. This is of course all speculation, and until Apple formally announces their intent, we are just guessing

SvenLorenz1975

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2015
Germany
Could you explain why Wifi 6 is so crucial in your opinion? Personally, I don't really see any key advantages for my use case. Nice to have, sure. But I'm don't know much about this topic so please explain. ?

I recently got a Wifi 6 router and a few days later I realized that my iPhone connected to my router even before I parked my car in front of my house. Before that I didn't have any connection before I entered the house. So the range is better. And while I don't need the full bandwidth of Wifi 6, I only have a 500Mbit/s connection, I think that having a higher bandwidth available means that a higher percentage of it reaches the device. And I've read that Wifi 6 only reaches its full potential once all the devices in your network support it.

manuel.s90

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2020
Okay, thanks for explaining. I can see that's important to some people but completely negligible in my case.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
They were talking about that exact scenario on Upgrade podcast this week - Apple may choose to leave some products on ARM and some on Intel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.