Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akuraktz

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2020
Just looking at some pictures & videos of the 13” and I know this isn’t a popular opinion, but that bezels DONT look that bad to me. They look quite well proportioned and, well, ok. I’m finding it hard to get overly cross about them in the scheme of things.
those bezels look awful then you look at xps

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Not even so much how the bezels look, the XPS 13 fits a 13.4" 16:10 display into a body closer in size to the 12" MacBook! That's a real practical benefit for an ultraportable machine that's going to be going with you all over the place.

Mattyman

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
I looked at the xps. the touch pad is much smaller and they have speakers on The bottom. in my eyes that is a compromise I couldn’t accept at the moment.

Reactions: KPOM

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
The XPS is just an example of what Apple could do with a minimal bezel design. Think a 12" MacBook with a ~13" iPad pro style display, maybe a 14.5" to 15" display for what's now the 13" MBP and what about a return of the 17" MPB without the return of the bulk?

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
I could see the 16” not getting 10th gen CPUs. They’re not exactly an improvement with the same graphics (which doesn’t matter as there’s an dGPU. It’s still on a 14nm process with only slightly better boost speeds which it likely won’t hit. Therefore an ARM refresh in 2021 without another intel refresh could be on the cards. Either way I think by March 2022 there will be a majority ARM lineup

KashKave

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2016
USA
At least the bezels on the MBP 13" aren't as thick as the iMacs! ???

I'm excited for mine to get here. Originally I purchased a MBP 13" on the 29th of April. It arrived on May 1st and then they announced the new one on Monday. Had to return the 2019 and wait for a refund. Got the new one ordered now. So psyched to type on the better keyboard.

Reactions: Mikeyde1989

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Has anyone bought their MacBook with a Best Buy credit card? If so, how was/is your experience doing so?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The XPS is just an example of what Apple could do with a minimal bezel design. Think a 12" MacBook with a ~13" iPad pro style display, maybe a 14.5" to 15" display for what's now the 13" MBP and what about a return of the 17" MPB without the return of the bulk?
Except the XPS weighs as much as a 13” MacBook Air, has a base 1080p screen (with a battery hog 4K option), and uses 15W chips. They are nice machines, but they make their own compromises. Apple is likely going to switch to ARM, so isn’t investing significant amounts into making sweeping changes to their existing models, but the existing design was already pretty good.

Ocnetgeek

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2018
Oak Creek, WI
Yes, that would be a good way to do it As you have the 14 day return period.

In my opinion, unless you need the portability - i.e. you’re going to be using this on the move - coffee shops, trains, planes etc, the 16” is a better buy. Putting power-related specs aside, its got amazing speakers, better mics and a larger screen. But its a much bigger footprint.
It’s also more expensive. I can get a 13” with 1TB of storage for $2000. That storage on a base 16” will cost me $2600 unless I am patient and lucky enough to catch a refurb. I use mine connected to an external monitor most of the time so I don’t need the big screen. Also not doing a lot of video so the GPU is not needed.

awesomedeluxe

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
I should note that the 10th gen CPU for the 16” is still the old 14nm architecture (while the Air/13” MBP moved to 10nm), so the CPU refresh itself isn’t really worth waiting for imo. For 16”, we may have to wait till even 2022 before we go down to 10nm, so the only upgrades worth looking out for imo are maybe miniLED screen and WiFi 6.
We may not. Intel already has a special 28W Ice Lake chip for Apple in the MBP 13. And they are rumored to have an extra special 45W Tiger Lake H chip in development for extra special customers...

Come on, let’s get excited. So Intel can disappoint us one more time.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Except the XPS weighs as much as a 13” MacBook Air, has a base 1080p screen (with a battery hog 4K option), and uses 15W chips. They are nice machines, but they make their own compromises. Apple is likely going to switch to ARM, so isn’t investing significant amounts into making sweeping changes to their existing models, but the existing design was already pretty good.
Now this isn't directed solely at yourself, but this is such a bizarre mentality certain posters have on this site, as soon as you mention something another manufacturer has done better than Apple you get jumped on with a rant about how Apple is still better because xxxx - because god forbid Apple's honour is impugned on your watch =P I know the XPS has it's own quirks eccentricities and things it falls down on, but we were specifically talking about the design in relation to the bezels. Not the display options. Not the size of the trackpad or quality/ position of the speakers. Not the choice of CPU.

Just, you know, try to accept different machines can be better or worse in different areas without having to drag the debate around to why Apple is better.

Your point about the Arm transition is a good one, though, I hope it will allow Apple to come up with their own super svelte machines, without the compromises needed using Intel chips currently.

Last edited:

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
those bezels look awful then you look at xps

In any normal day I don’t really look at windows laptops though. Its like any product, there’s probably bits I’d like from this thing or that thing, but I’m also aware that it’s not as simple as just taking all the bits you like from other stuff to make a better “thing” - you might end up with Homer Simpsons’ car.....

Thinner bezels might make for a nicer looking product and perhaps a larger screen, but I’m just saying I don’t get the obsession over them.

Reactions: HappyIntro

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
In any normal day I don’t really look at windows laptops though. Its like any product, there’s probably bits I’d like from this thing or that thing, but I’m also aware that it’s not as simple as just taking all the bits you like from other stuff to make a better “thing” - you might end up with Homer Simpsons’ car.....

Thinner bezels might make for a nicer looking product and perhaps a larger screen, but I’m just saying I don’t get the obsession over them.

I think part of it just comes from the fact that so many other competing products have done it, we know Apple could easily do it if they wanted to. And there isn't really a good reason for them not to. So i think the obsession largely is just "oh come on just do it already". It's not really some huge need that makes the function of the product better, it's kinda just the principle of it being the obvious thing to do that we all know they easily can do but stubbornly hadn't yet. Especially with how much people like feeling like they have the latest and greatest, 2014 size bezels in a sea of competing products that all have slim modern looking bezels takes away from that for people.

Last edited:

limo79

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
If Apple decide to release first ARM ultrabook the first natural candidate is not MBP especially 16" but MacBook Air!!! Regarding AMD I am impressed what they showed with Renoir and 3300X. In Europe new MBP 13 " 10th G7 config cost 2000€ which is totally insane while for half of that we can but Acer Swift 3 / 5 or Lenovo Ideapad 5 / 7. I expect that with this MBP 13 refresh Apple will loose a significant amount of marketshare this year. Also Dell if they will not cut the prices of XPS 13 or prepare AMD alternative. Personally I cannot believe in MBP 14" debut this Fall. Apple is so technologically stagnant and even in case of MBP13 basethey positioned the same product so if you want a real MBP 13 you need to spend fortune. Even if they release MBP 14 with new screen panel type the price will be so extreme in Europe that beyond scope of most middle class consumers. The same will be with iPhone 12 this year. We can expect high prices (especially due to pandemy impact) and I am sure that we will see 120 Hz screen only in two or just one top. model. What I really dislike in Apple starting from 5C era that they clever. product positioning so much to boost sales instead to offer just two models.

Last edited:

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
If Apple decide to release first ARM ultrabook the first natural candidate is not MBP especially 16" but MacBook Air!!! Regarding AMD I am impressed what they showed with Renoir and 3300X. In Europe new MBP 13 " 10th G7 config cost 2000€ which is totally insane while for half of that we can but Acer Swift 3 / 5 or Lenovo Ideapad 5 / 7. I expect that with this MBP 13 refresh Apple will loose a significant amount of marketshare this year. Also Dell if they will not cut the prices of XPS 13 or prepare AMD alternative.
I agree. I’d say that an ARM 12” MacBook is probably getting announced at WWDC with a release date of early next year. I think it’ll be followed up by the MacBook Air if it isn’t replaced in the lineup by the 12” MacBook style device. Then I think iMac and MacBook Pro could be transitioned by the end of 2021 into 2022 if the ARM switch is a full transition (which I suspect it will be)

limo79

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
There is no any sense to announce new hardware products on WWDC that will be manufactured much later while all OEMs production lines may stop again late Fall due to COVID-19. People may be focused on health and safety more and they may totally forgot about past product announcements like new MBP 14". If Apple wants to boost computer sales they will make one or two keynotes on September (back to school) before pandemy or present redesigned computer next year however I am sure that they want to increase sale on Black Friday and Xmas (they can just to cut high prices of current laptops to get the same effect on the worst case scenario). Also we should keep in mind that it is not so easy to lose a chip supplier like Intel. I am sure that also AMD may prepare some good offer for Apple. Customers may also react negatively especially these that work under Windows on Mac and have a ton of expensive software.

Last edited:

mbaire

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2020
Spain
Interested in MBP base but a little worried about the 2133MHz RAM and the 8th gen...

Do you think guys there will be a noticeable difference in speed opening applications between the 10th gen processor (MBA i5 i.e.) compared to the MBP base (8th gen)?

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
This is a little bit interesting, the model registered in January was the base 13" pro - that's a good 6 months later than the other models so maybe this wasn't originally planned to be updated at all (they skipped it altogether in 2018) but they wanted to completely ditch the butterfly keyboard and keep this model around.

Registered June 2019:
A2141 - 2019 16" MacBook Pro
A2147
A2158
A2159 - 2019 13" MacBook Pro (15W version)
A2179 - 2020 13" MacBook Air

A2182
A2251 - 2020 13" MacBook Pro (28W version)

Registered January 2020:
A2289 - 2020 13" MacBook Pro (15W version)

Still three 'unknown' models floating about yet to be revealed. The rumour was they were all MacBooks, but maybe iMacs could be a possibility after all?

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
This is a little bit interesting, the model registered in January was the base 13" pro - that's a good 6 months later than the other models so maybe this wasn't originally planned to be updated at all (they skipped it altogether in 2018) but they wanted to completely ditch the butterfly keyboard and keep this model around.

Registered June 2019:
A2141 - 2019 16" MacBook Pro
A2147
A2158
A2159 - 2019 13" MacBook Pro (15W version)
A2179 - 2020 13" MacBook Air

A2182
A2251 - 2020 13" MacBook Pro (28W version)

Registered January 2020:
A2289 - 2020 13" MacBook Pro (15W version)

Still three 'unknown' models floating about yet to be revealed. The rumour was they were all MacBooks, but maybe iMacs could be a possibility after all?
One could be a summer refresh to the base model MacBook Pro. The January addition may have been added last minute just to remove the butterfly keyboard

Reactions: AFPBoy

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
One could be a summer refresh to the base model MacBook Pro. The January addition may have been added last minute just to remove the butterfly keyboard
Generally a small chip bump doesn't change the model number, it's only a significant hardware change (i.e. redesign or these with new keyboards and thicker bodies) so if there was a July model with 10th gen chips it would share the same A2289 model number. That's also why I don't think any of the remaining three model numbers will be for a refreshed 10th gen 16" - it should stay as A2141 unless there's a material change to the design.

Arm models are still a possibility (three numbers = MacBook/ Air, 14 inch MacBook Pro and 16inch MacBook Pro) - but if they aren't launching until next year would they have been registered in June 2019?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.