Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

N0ddie

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Glasgow
Totally out of the loop regarding MacBook Pros nowadays, but can we expect the new 10th gen Intel CPUs in the 16" MBP any time soon?

AFPBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
I would expect them to call it 2020 until a second model comes out later in the year. I don't know what the early 2013 was called before the late 2013 came out? Calling it 'early 2020' now would give away that they're planning to launch another one later in the year.

Was this change only in Catalina? FWIW my 2013 15" MBP says "Early 2013" with Mojave.

Arthur75

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2015
paris, france
These prices here in germany.... They want 2629€ for the upper class model with i7/16/512. thats more expensive than the 16“ base. makes zero sense to me honestly.

Strange, in France that configuration is at 2 379,00 € :

You sure you didn't also select 1To ?

AFPBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
Probably WWDC?

I'm going to guess mid-July, just based on the 16" being released in November 2019. But I would be more than happy if it's released around the WWDC. And with a fix for the high power draw when attached to an external monitor.

Cocorito

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
Palermo, Italy
I'm going to guess mid-July, just based on the 16" being released in November 2019. But I would be more than happy if it's released around the WWDC. And with a fix for the high power draw when attached to an external monitor.

If that’s the case, I doubt we will see any major difference other than the processor itself, right?

My 9-year old ThinkPad W520 is literally dying and I just hoped it would have worked until I was able to replace it with a mini-LED/Tiger Lake MacBook Pro 16”. But the more I read, the more it seems like I would have to wait till the first half of 2021 for that.

Now I am just tempted to buy a refurbished 16” (base i9) and resell it once the mini-LED 16” is available (to be speeded up to 32GB/2TB/best GPU). I would also still need Windows for some software/occasional gaming. So I am feeling a bit insecure about any ARM development.

AFPBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
If that’s the case, I doubt we will see any major difference other than the processor itself, right?

I haven't been following the mini-LED rumours closely, but I would guess it's just going to be a processor bump with perhaps some internal tweaks that we'll likely not know about.

surf4peace

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2007
U.S.A.
Question: I ordered the top of the line 13 on the 4th. Lets say I wanted to compare it to the 16inch. With all the apple stores closed at the moment, is my best option to order a 16. Then see which one I like the most, then return the one I won't use?

Money isn't really an issue as my company is paying for it, but I like 13in for the size. That said, I have a 2012 13in. Maybe a 16in would be interesting to try out. I like sitting on the couch or bed with my laptop and working tho. I use an ultrafine 5k monitor when at a desk. My work is mainly analytics, some design, dev, etc. Tough decision.
The 16" will feel noticeably bigger. I moved from a 13" to a 15" several years ago and while I enjoyed the extra screen space, I found myself missing the portability and form factor of the 13". In a pinch you can always connect it to a monitor. For that reason, I'll likely be in the market for a new 13" in the near future. If you've no performance concerns with your current 13", I'm sure you won't miss the 16".

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Totally out of the loop regarding MacBook Pros nowadays, but can we expect the new 10th gen Intel CPUs in the 16" MBP any time soon?

I should note that the 10th gen CPU for the 16” is still the old 14nm architecture (while the Air/13” MBP moved to 10nm), so the CPU refresh itself isn’t really worth waiting for imo. For 16”, we may have to wait till even 2022 before we go down to 10nm, so the only upgrades worth looking out for imo are maybe miniLED screen and WiFi 6.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
I should note that the 10th gen CPU for the 16” is still the old 14nm architecture (while the Air/13” MBP moved to 10nm), so the CPU refresh itself isn’t really worth waiting for imo. For 16”, we may have to wait till even 2022 before we go down to 10nm, so the only upgrades worth looking out for imo are maybe miniLED screen and WiFi 6.
If I’m honest I wouldn’t be holding out for a new 16” just get the current one. Mini Led is reported to be pushed back into 2021 meaning March at the earliest most likely. Even then with the arrival of ARM we may only be getting one more (or even no more) intel chips after this year.

trojans10

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2020
Measured the width of my 2012 macbook pro today. 2012 = 12.8in. The new 13in macbook pros are 11.97in. The 16in is 14.09in. The 16 is really only an inch wider than my current macbook pro. I have always enjoyed the size of my current one. Looks like I'm going to order a 16in, along with the new 13 that should be arriving soon. Ill report back on the one I keep.

leminhhien

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2020
living in Japan and just ordered a new one today with English (US) keyboard. It is going to be shipped within 2 ~ 3 weeks....?

Reactions: ascender

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
where do i sign up for this?
Here: https://kyufukin.soumu.go.jp/ja-JP/index.html#sec-top-request

I've personally decided to wait for a 16" refresh to replace my 2018 15", whenever that might happen. Spec-wise I don't need an upgrade, but I recently had the butterfly keyboard fail on me for the third time, and decided that 3 years of this torture have been enough. The temptation to pull the trigger on a refurb is strong, but I think I can afford to wait.

Reactions: drinkingtea

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2019
where do i sign up for this?

You can do it online if you have a my number card. If not, a mailed application should arrive towards the end of the month. Fill it out and send it back and it will deposit the 10man-en into your bank sometime next month

leminhhien

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2020
Oh man, I don't think there are so many guys living in Japan in this forum.
[automerge]1589036026[/automerge]
Im waiting for my japan stimulus to get mine. Cant wait
If you have already registered your bank info with the system, depends on the place where you living they will be going to start depositing 10man from the end of this month.

SvenLorenz1975

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2015
Germany
If Jon Prosser is to be believed (and given his track record why wouldn't you), the next 16" MBP update will be ARM with mini LED early next year.

There is definately going to be an update to the 16" coming later this year. Without ARM but maybe with Mini LED. Just look at the tiny, pointless update the 13" just got. Apple is not going into the holiday season with a 16" that is over a year old.

surf4peace

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2007
U.S.A.
Measured the width of my 2012 macbook pro today. 2012 = 12.8in. The new 13in macbook pros are 11.97in. The 16in is 14.09in. The 16 is really only an inch wider than my current macbook pro. I have always enjoyed the size of my current one. Looks like I'm going to order a 16in, along with the new 13 that should be arriving soon. Ill report back on the one I keep.
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 9.54.14 AM.png

Enjoy the trial. It's significantly larger... Figured that will give you a better understanding of the relative sizing versus the 13". The 16" is an amazing laptop, so if it works for you, all the better.

akuraktz

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2020
There is definately going to be an update to the 16" coming later this year. Without ARM but maybe with Mini LED. Just look at the tiny, pointless update the 13" just got. Apple is not going into the holiday season with a 16" that is over a year old.
I hope you are right

Appledoesnotlisten

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2017
Holiday season is too far.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Just looking at some pictures & videos of the 13” and I know this isn’t a popular opinion, but that bezels DONT look that bad to me. They look quite well proportioned and, well, ok. I’m finding it hard to get overly cross about them in the scheme of things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.