Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
so they’re going to have a 13, 14, and 16 inch mbp? Seems cluttered, and that they wouldn’t have updated the 13 and maybe retired it when the 14 purportedly hits. Doesn’t add up.
They could update the base model to a 14” regular screen instead of Mini Led it would keep the sizing simple

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Just guessing here, But I'm thinking Apple will come out with the 14" later this year or next year with mini-LED. Updating the 16" as well.

Hopefully, we get mini-LED with HDR and 120hz (pro motion) refresh rates as well. Should be a nice upgrade for both the 14" and 16".

Reactions: ascender

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
The 2TB option is a waste of money in my opinion, consider the data you need with you all the time. 512GB or 1TB and an additional external SSD could save you some money on that end.
RAM: Depends on how long you plan on using the machine, 32GB will be more „future proof“ if you’ll use it for a couple years.
All in all, if you‘re able to spend the 600$ on 2 TB, I would definitely go for 32GB/1TB (also 600$).
Thanks for your thoughts stlow. Do you think the MBA or the MBP would be better for something like Lightroom? I was wondering about the heat issues people are talking about. My little MBA tends to get very hot for some reason when I have several windows open doing online searches and it's a bit of a pain when the fans keep churning.

I hope it'll last a lot longer than a couple of years! :)

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
You think the 14 inch wont have more improvements? Just a screen upgrade?
[automerge]1588792005[/automerge]

I would defiently go for 1TB of storage. Just to have that extra space and not have to stress about it.
Just the screen I’d imagine. Realistically Intel won’t be able to produce the volume of Tiger Lake chips Apple would need until Next Year and besides the screen there isn’t much else they could do apart for maybe a slightly bigger battery or speakers which would really just come with the bigger chassis

AFPBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
so they’re going to have a 13, 14, and 16 inch mbp? Seems cluttered, and that they wouldn’t have updated the 13 and maybe retired it when the 14 purportedly hits. Doesn’t add up.

I agree, but if my memory and Wikipedia are correct, in early 2018 you could buy the iPhone SE(1), iPhone 6S, iPhone 7, iPhone 8 and iPhone X. So maybe they are borrowing that model.

Perhaps Apple will keep the low end 13" and stop selling the high end 13" when/if they release the 14".

applesed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
I agree, but if my memory and Wikipedia are correct, in early 2018 you could buy the iPhone SE(1), iPhone 6S, iPhone 7, iPhone 8 and iPhone X. So maybe they are borrowing that model.

Perhaps Apple will keep the low end 13" and stop selling the high end 13" when/if they release the 14".

So under the 13-replaced-by-14 scenario I think the soonest the 14 drops is Nov, like the 16. Otherwise they could have waited/not updated the 13, butterfly pressure notwithstanding.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Whens the earliest the 14 inch is rumored to come out?
End of the year, October - November time with other mini LED products. There is a suggestion that original timeframe has now slipped back to early next year as well, though.

unoporfavor

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2020
I do wonder what the used market for butterfly-keyboard Pros is going to be like, particularly once the 4 year warranty has run out. Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that the final revision of the keyboard is much more reliable. Does anybody outside of the Apple nerd community even know about the keyboard issues?

I think its a good move to upgrade if you can afford to - I agree, I think it will be next year when we get a proper redesign and possibly ARM Pro. Just can’t see them moving to a 14” screen now, given we‘re all expecting ARM next year.
RE: The Butterfly keyboard issues - businesses and companies certainly know about them. As do professional users and content producers.
I contract at places that have 100's of owned macs and 1,000's in use. They have to keep spares to ensure there is no downtime for their employees/workers. You bet IT knows about it - they keep records and have to arrange repair. The finance department knows because their costs go up keeping spares and all the lost downtime. Marketing and advertising producers know about it because they mostly hate the keyboard (but use external keyboards onsite), but now have to take additional kit offsite in case of failures 'on the road'. They probably talk about it to their friends. I know IT people also have friends. They probably mention it. Finance probably also do, and they will definitely talk about costs. Marketing might even have friends to tell too. ;)
So yeh - outside the Apple nerd community, it is known :cool:

sixtydashone

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2020
Have to assume even if the 14" comes out with mini LED this year, it's presumably going to be substantially more expensive than the 13" that just released (because mini LED). That puts it out of my price range as I dont want to spend something like $2200 or so for a base model. I'm happier in the $1500-$2000 range. We'll see though. It will be interesting to see what they do.

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA

You could be on to something there. Going along a similar model to the price spectrum of their phones you mentioned, i could definitely see Apple doing a laptop lineup of the early 2020 13" MBP, late 2020/early 2021 14" MBP with Mini LED 90-120hz screen, late 2019 16" MBP, late 2020/early 2021 16" MBP with Mini LED 90-120hz screen. Covering a relatively broad spectrum of price range of "low end" to "high end" within the Macbook Pro lineup. Though, i also agree with another commenter who said it'd feel like a cluttered lineup, but i also am having a hard time seeing them refresh the 13" MBP the way they have, only to completely drop it in favor of the 14" so soon after. Would Apple really do that just so the people who want to buy a 13" MBP between now and when the 14" drops have something to buy that has the magic keyboard? Who knows. It's all a mystery i'm very curious to see how it ends up unfolding.

lagisibuk

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
End of the year, October - November time with other mini LED products. There is a suggestion that original timeframe has now slipped back to early next year as well, though.
im not sure actually, because on 2014 they dont have late model.
possible on 2021

Muyfa666

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2019
Sweden
You think the 14 inch wont have more improvements? Just a screen upgrade?
[automerge]1588792005[/automerge]

I would defiently go for 1TB of storage. Just to have that extra space and not have to stress about it.

Yes, I decided on this too. I cancelled my 512gb and will order a 1TB instead.

Reactions: Ocnetgeek

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London

Not necessarily, they updated the 15” MBP and then in the same year released the 16” and discontinued the 15”. They could just do the same with the 14”, once available discontinue the 13”.

Reactions: Asthmatic Kitty

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
I’m still putting money on 2021 for mini-LED along with a complete redesign for the Pro and presumably ARM.

Spec bump for the 16” should be coming along I’m guessing?

AFPBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
Spec bump for the 16” should be coming along I’m guessing?

This is something I'm really interested in, with the hope that this will solve the dual-display overheating problem. The second problem is that I need to buy a new computer by August. At first I thought it's June WWDC of bust (i.e. October/November release), but looking at the release dates for all laptops for the past 10 years, there's a chance that Apple could release an update in July as well:

2011: July (MBA)
2012: June (MBA, MBP)
2013: June (MBA)
2014: July (MBP)
2015: Nothing in June/July
2016: Nothing in June/July
2017: June (MB, MBA, MBP)
2018: July (MBP)
2019: July (MBA, MBP)
2020: ???

The last time Apple release a notebook in August was 1996 (PowerBooks), and even then it was August 28, so almost September.

For me I will wait now until July, and then I may just have to bite the bullet and buy the 2019 16" MBP.

Alexander_im

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
So it looks like we might still be getting Mini-LED by the end of the year:

Mikeyde1989

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
So it looks like we might still be getting Mini-LED by the end of the year:

Still nothing solid on a 13” or 14” model.

I’m praying more solid rumours come about in the next month as we get closer to WWDC. Can’t justify upgrading my 2017 13” MBP non TB. Please Apple treat us this year with 14” !!

awesomedeluxe

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
The new Macbook Pro 13 does have 28W Ice Lake parts--it has two of them, including one that was never announced. Both parts are currently exclusive to this machine.

These parts doubtless provide the best single-core performance available in any compact notebook. And they aren't in any other device--not even the recently-launched Surface Book 3.

Intel's willingness to provide Apple these top-shelf parts warrants serious consideration. We know Apple has options. But could Intel keep Apple in its corner by providing its top-of-the-line APUs? As exciting as Cezanne is, I would not be dissappointed to see Tiger Lake H in the MBP 16.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
I’m rocking a 13” mid-2017 cMBP and it’s been working well for me (other than it runs hot). At this point will likely wait to upgrade until the redesign launches (guessing next year?).

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
Quick question. On the overview page on MacOS which shows the specs on both of the new models it says MacBook Pro 13 2020. Not early or mid 2020. Does all Macs say this until their successor releases or could the mean that there will be no other updates to the 13” model this year. (Like a base model spec bump or a hint to a 14” model)

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Quick question. On the overview page on MacOS which shows the specs on both of the new models it says MacBook Pro 13 2020. Not early or mid 2020. Does all Macs say this until their successor releases or could the mean that there will be no other updates to the 13” model this year. (Like a base model spec bump or a hint to a 14” model)
They switched to just using the year a little while ago I think. In About This Mac, mine used to say 'MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)', and now it has dropped the 'Late' and simply designates it as '2016'. I don't think it's something to read too much into - I'm sure they could release two models in the same year if they wanted to.

Reactions: Mikeyde1989

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
They switched to just using the year a little while ago I think. In About This Mac, mine used to say 'MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)', and now it has dropped the 'Late' and simply designates it as '2016'. I don't think it's something to read too much into - I'm sure they could release two models in the same year if they wanted to.
My bad. I’m still convinced that around July we’ll see a refreshed base model with 10th gen CPU’s likely around the time of the Back to School Deal. The intel leaks from rogame on twitter which were nearly perfect for the 28W CPUs indicate that we’ll see an i5-1065 either G4 or G7 (maybe both) and an i7-1065G7. However they could completely switch and give us comet lake as a refresh although I strongly doubt it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.