Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Do you lot reckon the current MBP release was substandard because of rona, or they had these products in the pipeline regardless ? It just doesn't make sense considering MBA got a considerable refresh a month or two back.
Nothing to do with it. A refresh like this takes much more than 2 months to get to the finishing line. In other words: if, according to some, Apple didn't provide enough of an update on the lower spec models, then that's definitely intentional.

Chompineer

Suspended
Mar 31, 2020
Ontario
So I'm really considering the 8th gen base model (with 16 GB RAM), but I kind of hate the idea of investing in outdated tech.

I've got a 2,3 GHz 16 GB RAM MBP from 2018 and all I'd get from the new investment (around 400-500 € after selling the current one) is a better keyboard. The butterfly keyboard sucks so bad, however, that I'm still willing to do that.

Still, I've got two questions for you guys:

1. The 2020 8th gen base model is clocked at 1,4 GHz, my current 8th gen is clocked at 2,3 GHz. Would that result in worse performance compared to my current model?
  2. Considering resale value etc., would it be better to invest in the 10th gen model now? It would be a lot more expensive and I don't think I need the power (I mostly do web development and some occasional photo and video editing).
Edit: I compared my current one to the new base model on GeekBench, seems like there's not much of a difference at all. So I've decided I'll go for the budget version and just get rid of that butterfly keyboard. Going to keep that new machine for at least a year and possibly see what's on the market by then (mini LED, 14", etc.).

In some instances I would actually prefer an 8th gen processor.

All the GPU comparisons you see are to a “normal” 8th gen, not the ones Apple uses.

You will only find those 8th gen’s in MacBooks and Intel NUC8’s.

What makes them so special? EDRAM. 128MB of EDRAM shared between the IGPU and also used as L4 cache for the CPU.

I’m not sure why Intel didn’t carry on using EDRAM on their designs short of the cost, because it’s a huge performance boost and frees up the need to eat into system RAM for video output.

The difference between the i5 8257u and the i5 1038NG7 is very minimal, and not greatly worth the cost in my books.

Right now I’d say if you need a laptop, go for the intro 13“ with 16GB of ram.

Otherwise, wait for Apple to pick up Tiger Lake with Xe graphics, as the Tiger Lake U chips are already benchmarking higher that AMD’s top APU’s in every aspect (leaked benchmarks show them beating the 4900u with only a 3Ghz clocked quad core). Intel will be back on top next gen in mobility, and likely the following gen in desktop’s when Alder Lake releases (Intel’s own implementation of the chiplet style design). They have not simply just given up due to AMD, they have been forced to innovate.

Last edited:

evilzardoz

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008
Your probably onto something there and I’ve no doubt that it’s the lack of a Broadcom chip with 3x3 that could be the issue.

You mean like the BCM6710? That does 3x3 WiFi6 and has 6GHz support for WiFi 6E.

Shortages on the chip have made it a bit harder to implement at scale for now, but the tech has been there since November.

Muyfa666

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2019
Sweden
One more thing to consider if you are deciding between the MBP13 2020 1.4Ghz and 2.0Ghz - the 2019 1.4Ghz only had 1 fan while the 2.4Ghz had 2 fans. It's at least possible that the 2020 models are the same, fan wise.

awesomedeluxe

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
Well, it's here! And.. underwhelming? Am I right that that's the 1065G7 on the high end? This means the 28W 1068G6 just doesn't exist, right? I'm sure there's a hardware engineer somewhere at Apple who was pissed at Intel very recently.

Anyway, friendly reminder that if you are buying this, make sure to get a machine with an Ice Lake processor. It's not well advertised, but the internal graphics on those cards will be much better.

Otherwise, wait for Apple to pick up Tiger Lake with Xe graphics, as the Tiger Lake U chips are already benchmarking higher that AMD’s top APU’s in every aspect (leaked benchmarks show them beating the 4900u with only a 3Ghz clocked quad core). Intel will be back on top next gen in mobility, and likely the following gen in desktop’s when Alder Lake releases (Intel’s own implementation of the chiplet style design). They have not simply just given up due to AMD, they have been forced to innovate.

Yep, Tiger Lake looks pretty good. I don't doubt adding ~50% more CUs will allow them to top the Vega part in Renoir. However, I am not expecting a lot from Intel CPU-side, and their failure to produce a 28W part this gen is worrying.

My understanding is that AMD is rushing Cezanne, their next gen APU, to market this year. It will definitely use Zen 3. And it will move to RDNA2 if AMD can get that to work well--but they may fall back to Vega if they can't.

French website MacGénération suggested Apple may design hybrid MacBooks with both a fully capable ARM chip (like 16 or 32 cores) and a x86 (maybe Ryzen?). That would be an interesting evolution from the existing T2 + Intel design.

This is pure speculation, not a leak/rumor in any way. But it doesn't sound that far fetched considering how much the T2 is already doing.

I think a "Mac Surface" design is still worth talking about. It's what people have wanted for years, but the upside to this approach is higher than ever.

The Mac and iPhone already share app data really well. I can already pull up the active Chrome browser tab on my iPhone on my Mac with a single click; messages, notes, and calendar sync perfectly. These and many other applications could seamlessly transition from macOS to iOS as you fold down your screen. Photoshop would be harder, but Adobe is just as invested in making it happen. This would be a killer app for a lot of people.

Apple's cross-platform development tools are increasingly sophisticated. Going forward, developers would have even more incentive to build apps that work on Mac and iOS because there's a device on the market that uses both.

Finally--a Mac Surface would be beautiful. The tablet display would ideally be more adjustable, meaning your next computer really would look like this:

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 9.54.05 AM.png

But let's not forget the downsides. This machine would be $5,000 at the low end. It is basically an iPad glued to a keyboard with x86 inside; no parts can be shared between them, so there is a ton of redundancy. Especially heartbreaking, you will need a separate hard drive for the iOS side in order to keep it secure (read: prevent piracy), which means app data has to be copied from one hard drive to another.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
With a mid-2011 11" MBA (i5) and a mid-2012 15" MBP (i7), I'm rather out of touch with Macs as you might imagine! However, I promised myself an upgrade when the butterfly keyboards disappeared and the time has come. I notice people talking about heat issues. I don't really do much graphic design now so I'm looking for either an MBA or the higher end MBP 13" that will cope easily with something like Lightroom or equivalent without setting the fans running too much. Planning on 16GB RAM and 2TB. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

stlow

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2020
With a mid-2011 11" MBA (i5) and a mid-2012 15" MBP (i7), I'm rather out of touch with Macs as you might imagine! However, I promised myself an upgrade when the butterfly keyboards disappeared and the time has come. I notice people talking about heat issues. I don't really do much graphic design now so I'm looking for either an MBA or the higher end MBP 13" that will cope easily with something like Lightroom or equivalent without setting the fans running too much. Planning on 16GB RAM and 2TB. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
The 2TB option is a waste of money in my opinion, consider the data you need with you all the time. 512GB or 1TB and an additional external SSD could save you some money on that end.
RAM: Depends on how long you plan on using the machine, 32GB will be more „future proof“ if you’ll use it for a couple years.
All in all, if you‘re able to spend the 600$ on 2 TB, I would definitely go for 32GB/1TB (also 600$).

Reactions: Ish

mbaire

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2020
Spain
I was waiting for the MBP (2 TB ports) , but in this way I do not buy, surely there will be changes before the end of the year as it happened with the 15 "model.
I think they will update the 13" 1.4GHz models to the Intel 10th gen and also with RAM 3733MHz and the 2GHz model to 14" screen.
Buy now the 1.4GHz model is to buy a model from last year, bad reselling

Last edited:
Reactions: ModusOperandi

stuffx

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2020
This tweet was posted 2 days before Apple announced the refresh MBP 13”. I guess he was hinting that the 14” will come sooner than expected and we should wait for few months instead of buying now.

Last month, he also said Q3 or Q4 when being asked about MBP 14”. Based on his previous track record I believe he is reliable. Even Jon Prosser and Mark Gurman also followed him.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
This tweet was posted 2 days before Apple announced the refresh MBP 13”. I guess he was hinting that the 14” will come sooner than expected and we should wait for few months instead of buying now.

Last month, he also said Q3 or Q4 when being asked about MBP 14”. Based on his previous track record I believe he is reliable. Even Jon Prosser and Mark Gurman also followed him.
Yeah but since he posted that before the refresh, wouldn't that apply to the models before the refresh?
I dunno, I only upgrade every 5-8 years in Macs. Im torn whether getting the new MBP or waiting until the 14 inch.

Reactions: ascender

stuffx

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2020
Yeah but since he posted that before the refresh, wouldn't that apply to the models before the refresh?
I dunno, I only upgrade every 5-8 years in Macs. Im torn whether getting the new MBP or waiting until the 14 inch.

At first, I thought the same thing too. But after reading back what he said as “recent months” I am inclined to think that he was giving a hint to wait for another few months ie. Q3 or Q4. It could happen just like last year when Apple silently released MBP 16” in November after MBP 15” refresh in June.

Alexander_im

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
Same here. Guess the best thing would be waiting for the next Kuo/Prosser prediction about 14" release

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
honestly if you wait that long between upgrades, i don't see why waiting a few extra months would be bad

jercompton

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2016
Is there even going to be a 14 inch, why waste my money now if 6 months later they are going to do the same thing that they did with the 16inch. Im just not sure anymore.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Is there even going to be a 14 inch, why waste my money now if 6 months later they are going to do the same thing that they did with the 16inch. Im just not sure anymore.
Is the 14 inch going to have a bigger body than the 13 inch? Bc I LOVE the size of the 13 inch

jercompton

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2016
Is the 14 inch going to have a bigger body than the 13 inch? Bc I LOVE the size of the 13 inch
Im going to say that there will be a slight bigger body but not a big change at all. The bezel would just be thinner and give it a 'modern' look. Did you order your 13 inch?

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Im going to say that there will be a slight bigger body but not a big change at all. The bezel would just be thinner and give it a 'modern' look. Did you order your 13 inch?
Not yet. I have no interest in wifi 6. But I feel the 14 inch will also be much more expensive as well huh?

Reactions: jercompton

jercompton

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2016
Not yet. I have no interest in wifi 6. But I feel the 14 inch will also be much more expensive as well huh?
My budget is at least 2k, what im highly considering is buying the Macbook Pro 13" 10 gen i7/16gb/1TB but sale it once the 14" comes. Hopefully i dont need to pay the difference to much.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
My budget is at least 2k, what im highly considering is buying the Macbook Pro 13" 10 gen i7/16gb/1TB but sale it once the 14" comes. Hopefully i dont need to pay the difference to much.
Yeah I just need a new comp asap. My battery is like an hour tops

Muyfa666

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2019
Sweden
I'm getting buyers remorse for the 512gb SSD. Maybe it would be wiser to get a 1TB? The i5 10gen/16gb seem given anyway, but that SSD... hmmmmm.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
I’ll be getting the i5/16/512 in July if there is no concrete leaks that it’ll arrive before October. Even when it does arrive we shouldn’t be expecting tiger lake, dedicated gpu and other things. If we get a fall refresh giving a 14” screen with mini led that’ll be it as there won’t be any other improvements available. The 16” would get 10th gen processors as it doesn’t have them. The base 13” likely won’t get the new screen but will definitely get 10th gen chips likely in the summer

jercompton

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2016
I’ll be getting the i5/16/512 in July if there is no concrete leaks that it’ll arrive before October. Even when it does arrive we shouldn’t be expecting tiger lake, dedicated gpu and other things. If we get a fall refresh giving a 14” screen with mini led that’ll be it as there won’t be any other improvements available. The 16” would get 10th gen processors as it doesn’t have them. The base 13” likely won’t get the new screen but will definitely get 10th gen chips likely in the summer
You think the 14 inch wont have more improvements? Just a screen upgrade?
[automerge]1588792005[/automerge]
I'm getting buyers remorse for the 512gb SSD. Maybe it would be wiser to get a 1TB? The i5 10gen/16gb seem given anyway, but that SSD... hmmmmm.
I would defiently go for 1TB of storage. Just to have that extra space and not have to stress about it.

applesed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
so they’re going to have a 13, 14, and 16 inch mbp? Seems cluttered, and that they wouldn’t have updated the 13 and maybe retired it when the 14 purportedly hits. Doesn’t add up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.