Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AgentMcGeek

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
London, UK
French website MacGénération suggested Apple may design hybrid MacBooks with both a fully capable ARM chip (like 16 or 32 cores) and a x86 (maybe Ryzen?). That would be an interesting evolution from the existing T2 + Intel design.

This is pure speculation, not a leak/rumor in any way. But it doesn't sound that far fetched considering how much the T2 is already doing.

massy72

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2017
The 16 inch cost much more than 13
2229 13 10th generation “base”
2799 16 “base”
570 more
(Price in euros including tax)

I don’t need the power of 16 but at the same time I need much power and affidability of Air

if I need more screen I can take an external monitor for desktop use and still have more portability than I need

Muyfa666

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2019
Sweden
I decided on the i5 gen10/16gb/512gb config. I didn't maximize the MBP13 2019 with the same config, so this should be equal or better in pretty much all ways. I opted for a Magic Keyboard for my iPad Pro 11 too, so that'll work fine for traveling work. :)

massy72

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2017
Because I need now. I sell My iMac and MBA. And actually I don’t have nothing, only my iPhone
So actually I do not have more chance...

I nee portability now. And I sell My iMac because in the last year I have used it very little. And the MBA could not replace it
This is the reason of My Choice
If now, I have already have a old MBP, I would probabily wait..

however I think That this 13 10th generation can be a good machine for the next 4/5 year

Reactions: CmdrLaForge

Mac133

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2020
What's all the fuss about 'old design'? Design is perfect, if I was apple I would only shrink the bezels and leave it forever like this. It's super elegant, classic, high quality, if it's perfect then there's no need to change it much.

massy72

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2017
13,3 vs 14,1
I don’t see all this difference

The Very innovation is ARM, and mini-Led display

it all depends on how much you need a new mac now or not. I need now!
MacBooks with Intel processors are tested. who would take an ARM just released? so the wait will be even longer ...

Reactions: Macalicious2011

Mac133

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2020
I expected miniLED now, but after this release I don't see that technology coming before 2021 unfortunately. But who knows, it's apple.

manuel.s90

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2020
Hmm, I might actually get the new 2020 model with 8th gen CPU and 16 GB RAM in replacement of my 2018 model for the new keyboard alone. I didn't think I would hate the butterfly keyboard as much as I do. It's terrible.

I just find it a bit hard to decide between the higher-end MBA and the lower-end MBP now. But I think I'll go for the MBP because the MBA seems to get way too loud.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
Whats all this talk about a 14 inch model due in a few months? How Plausible is this after this week's update of the 13 inch model?
Very plausible. An October/November release is very likely with a 14.1” Mini Led Pro with the same internals (The higher end 1799 model gets Bigger Screen and Mini LED) The base model pro I think will get updated in June/July and as a result won’t get updated in the fall. It will likely stay on a 13” screen

Reactions: ModusOperandi

Mac133

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2020
Hmm, I might actually get the new 2020 model with 8th gen CPU and 16 GB RAM in replacement of my 2018 model for the new keyboard alone. I didn't think I would hate the butterfly keyboard as much as I do. It's terrible.

I just find it a bit hard to decide between the higher-end MBA and the lower-end MBP now. But I think I'll go for the MBP because the MBA seems to get way too loud.
MBP also have better screen.

Reactions: manuel.s90

massy72

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2017
If in the 1799 model you add mini-Led 14.1 I can’t immagine the price increase... Have no sense

AgentMcGeek

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
London, UK
What's all the fuss about 'old design'? Design is perfect, if I was apple I would only shrink the bezels and leave it forever like this. It's super elegant, classic, high quality, if it's perfect then there's no need to change it much.

New screen tech with major energy savings, and circa 7% increase in screen real estate. If you consider the new keyboard and LPDDR4 on top of that, that’s a good redesign on its own. Maybe FaceID and new ARM/x86 combo (T3 chip for low energy tasks?).

sixtydashone

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2020
Well, I'm very glad I canceled my 2020 MBA. Ordered the 10th gen i7/16GB/512GB in space grey this morning. Arrives May 21-29, supposedly. After my last experience attempting to get the 2020 MBA, well I guess we'll see about that.

FastLaneJB

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Assuming it's for the new Arm models, we might get a sneak peek at WWDC, and/ or a hint at the public availability timescale i.e. 'this fall' or 'spring 2021'?

I don’t think they’ll sneak peak the hardware. WWDC is to brief the developers and give them time to modify their apps so they’ll work on the new ARM models.

I’m excited by what Apple might pull off here as their mobile chips are class leading. However I ordered a new 13 inch MacBook Pro yesterday as I need something sooner. Also as I need to run virtual machines, Docker containers and all sorts, I don’t think my work pattern will be a good fit for the first wave.

I remember the Intel to PowerPC switch and there were apps that didn’t work, obviously the emulation overhead would impact battery life and all sorts. I want to avoid that.

My gut still suggests that they’ll not actually drop Intel but will run the lower end on ARM and higher end on Intel. At least for a while...

mbdev1

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2020
For all of those complaining about the lack of AX WiFi, have you thought that maybe Apple didn't want to limit AC performance by implementing Intel's AX201 WiFi card like all other laptop manufacturers? Apple always used a 3x3 configuration for AC Wi-Fi which enables 1300mbps of throughput using the 80MHz 5Ghz channel. If Apple used the new AX201 2x2 Wi-Fi card, it would for sure improve speeds on AX Wi-FI (up to 2400mbps using a 160MHz channel), but at the same time would limit AC WiFi to a 2x2 config, which is limited to 867mbps... and currently, the majority of APs is still AC (be it 3x3 or 4x4 Wave 2). They are probably waiting for a 3x3 AX card made by Broadcomm...

FastLaneJB

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
For all of those complaining about the lack of AX WiFi, have you thought that maybe Apple didn't want to limit AC performance by implementing Intel's AX201 WiFi card like all other laptop manufacturers? Apple always used a 3x3 configuration for AC Wi-Fi which enables 1300mbps of throughput using the 80MHz 5Ghz channel. If Apple used the new AX201 2x2 Wi-Fi card, it would for sure improve speeds on AX Wi-FI (up to 2400mbps using a 160MHz channel), but at the same time would limit AC WiFi to a 2x2 config, which is limited to 867mbps... and currently, the majority of APs is still AC (be it 3x3 or 4x4 Wave 2). They are probably waiting for a 3x3 AX card made by Broadcomm...

Your probably onto something there and I’ve no doubt that it’s the lack of a Broadcom chip with 3x3 that could be the issue.

Swings and roundabouts here though as a lot of home routers and I suspect businesses aren’t running 3x3. However in the not too distant future if some haven’t already will have AX wireless. In those cases you’ll be quicker with the AX chipset than those people were on AC.

I’ve ordered but this is my main disappointment, I’ve upgraded my home to AX wireless already though only my iPhone uses it currently...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.