Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
As much as this is a nice spec bump release, there’s so much change been rumoured for the next year that maybe Apple are just treading water until the full redesign with new screen tech and ARM CPUs?
They still have room to play. Upper 13 Pro would get 14 inch, lower 13 Pro will finally get Ice Lake.
I think ARM is for Macbook 12" in near future, and only 2nd renewal for Pros, after 14 inch implementation. But not both at the same time - ARM/14 inch.

Reactions: AgentMcGeek

dirteater666

Suspended
May 1, 2020
Been lurking this thread since ages, have to say I am quite disappointed. I've been getting through with my 13" 2017 model and was hoping to splurge on the top end model and upgrade it completely to last me 5 years.

I've been noticing slow downs on mine, specially as I do need to run VMs and was hoping with the new one, I would be able to run 2 of them or maybe more.

Things that I thought would be standard in this upgrade didn't happen (Hex core cpu, Wifi 6). Things that I was hoping for also didn't happen (14" screen).

Overall, Apple seems to have saved me some money for the time being, but not sure if I can sit with this machine for another year. I considered the 16" and will look at the refresh, but it's simply too big for my frequent travels.

Don't think anyone asked for or expected 6 core CPUs in a chassis as small as the MBPs...

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Looks like the 14 inch Mini-LED will be released alongside the ARM update, that's gonna be a hell of a redesign for the MacBook Pro. Wouldn't be surprised if it gets released in 2021 with the rest of the mini-LED products.

I'm going ahead with this 13" inch as I'm in a dire need of a MacBook Pro. I do a lot of UI/UX Design and iOS Development, some Adobe After Effects if possible.

I've decided on the 1TB for storage, but have the following questions:

- Should I upgrade to the i7? Would it make that much of a difference for me compared to the i5?
- Should I upgrade to 32GB of RAM? How long will the 16GB be sufficient for?

I'd like to keep this laptop for the long haul, and I can upgrade one of the above. Which would you suggest?

anthorumor

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2009
Sydney, Australia

- Should I upgrade to the i7? Would it make that much of a difference for me compared to the i5?

I'd like to keep this laptop for the long haul, and I can upgrade one of the above. Which would you suggest?

You said so yourself - you do a lot of UI/UX design and basically it's your production workhorse. You also want to keep it for the long haul, so a powerful Mac should serve you well, even when the work landscape changes.

- 1TB is a good size.
- Both i5 and i7 processors are 4 cores. The i5 is fine unless you're literally counting your productivity in seconds for rendering times (beneficial for heavy After Effects)
- 16GB RAM is definitely acceptable, but to future-proof, 32GB (if your current workload becomes more intense).

Doing 1TB, i5, 16GB RAM will cost you US $2k. Making it 32GB RAM will put you at $2.4k. Bear in mind that this is the same price as the entry-level 16" MBP, but that has 6 cores, a larger screen (and footprint obviously), and better dedicated graphics, which After Effects would really benefit from.

But if you were to choose one upgrade, RAM over i7.

FastLaneJB

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Looks like the 14 inch Mini-LED will be released alongside the ARM update, that's gonna be a hell of a redesign for the MacBook Pro. Wouldn't be surprised if it gets released in 2021 with the rest of the mini-LED products.

I'm going ahead with this 13" inch as I'm in a dire need of a MacBook Pro. I do a lot of UI/UX Design and iOS Development, some Adobe After Effects if possible.

Is I had to pick between one of them based on your usage I'd go for the 32GB RAM. You might with your use case be getting to the point that you'd benefit now but if not, I think it'll help the laptop last you longer than the slight bump you get with the i7 processor.

Reactions: Populus

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
It seems crazy that apple is running the exact same design for the MBP 13" from 2016.. no other company is doing that. look at the XPS 13" , every year the design language is getting better and more refined till the perfection they got this year.
I understand that the windows market is much more competitive and dell have to fight over users with dozens of other companies, but seems like apple is expecting us as customers to accept the same old and outdated design just because we are locked in the ecosystem and because they have a monopoly in the market with MACOS?

well thanks for fixing the faulty keyboard and adding an esc key i guess.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
It seems crazy that apple is running the exact same design for the MBP 13" from 2016.. no other company is doing that. look at the XPS 13" , every year the design language is getting better
Dell is always seeking for their best design and that is why changing it that much. I personally owned Dell and i admire them, because my XPS 15 going strong for 9 years.
To be honest, Dell would have done Macbook design copy 1:1, but they are not allowed to do so. That is why they have to perform this moves with new design every year.

So can we conclude that MBP 16 inch is different design than MBP 15? Barely so, because in the class i can't distinguish them from 10 feet and only know by keyboard, who does have 16inch or 15 inch. Porsche are sticking with the same design with 911, Mercedes sticking with G-wagons with the same design for 20-40 years. They only do facelift.
Apple also does the facelifts: Unibody, 2012, 2016, 2019(16 inch.)

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
It seems crazy that apple is running the exact same design for the MBP 13" from 2016.. no other company is doing that. look at the XPS 13" , every year the design language is getting better and more refined till the perfection they got this year.
I understand that the windows market is much more competitive and dell have to fight over users with dozens of other companies, but seems like apple is expecting us as customers to accept the same old and outdated design just because we are locked in the ecosystem and because they have a monopoly in the market with MACOS?

As a happy owner of the 16- I feel for ya. Remember tho the 16 had the same false start with a processor update and everyone posted for months about how they were SURE there would be NO 16 inch MBP.

But sure enough- what happened? We got like an awesome 16" refresh that same year a few months later. I think in the fall -your time will come.

Reactions: Ma2k5

massy72

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2017
My personal consideration..
No sense the MBP 2020 with 8th generation

Actually if you are not pro users I think that the MBA i3/8/256 in the best choice (with minor thermal problems of i5)
If you need a better performance, the MBP i5/16/512 4 ports is the choice
If you are PRO users, take 16

I ordered today the MBP 13 i5/16/512

track14

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2019
Probably going to get this one. The specs are solid on the $1799 model. My only disappointment is the screen size

unoporfavor

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2020
My personal consideration..
No sense the MBP 2020 with 8th generation

Actually if you are not pro users I think that the MBA i3/8/256 in the best choice (with minor thermal problems of i5)
If you need a better performance, the MBP i5/16/512 4 ports is the choice
If you are PRO users, take 16

I ordered today the MBP 13 i5/16/512
I tend to agree with you given the entry-level is old Intel tech. Wish it was 14" !

I'm very envious of your MBP 13" order! Would go for that too - the 10th gen yeh?
[automerge]1588639160[/automerge]
Agree on disappointing screen size. Not sure I can justify the price leap to 10th-gen. 8th-gen + 16GB memory is still a lot cheaper

massy72

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2017
my situation is particular

before I have iMac 27 in my house and 2018 MBA in travel and work

So I used iMac for Video and Photo, but I can't working the same file with the Air

So I decided to sell all and take only one machine. Maybe 16 inch would have been the best solution. But I need portability and I'm thinking to take an external monitor for work in my house for to have more space

today I made my order without knowing what is inside this MBP. I hope that have 2 FAN

incredibleBread

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2020
The fact that the bottom half of the 13inch lineup is underwhelming and uses the old design just tells me there'll be a refresh at the end of the year.

There's a massive mismatch now between the 13 and the 16". Like people have been saying, even the air has a more updated cpu then the 13". Currently, it's the only janky lineup which makes me think Apple wasn't ready for the full upgrade but wanted to get that early year cash.

Perhaps the 14" will be announced at WWDC, maybe later, maybe not at all. Though Apple will bring the 13" up to the standard of the other laptops or at least use it as a marketing tool to sell the 14".

Just my guess.

massy72

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2017
I don't think that 13,3 vs 14,1 there's so much difference.
And the price for mini-Led 14,1 I think much higher

If you take a good external monitor, you have the best choice for productivity and portability

Different is the ARM tecnology if one day coming...

unoporfavor

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2020
I don't think that 13,3 vs 14,1 there's so much difference.
And the price for mini-Led 14,1 I think much higher

If you take a good external monitor, you have the best choice for productivity and portability

Different is the ARM tecnology if one day coming...
Think you are right on the arm cpu - but will be a while before they are pro performance!
I don't like having a large monitor personally as it takes up a lot of room. Like pulling out computer for some work, then putting it in a drawer out of sight.
Perhaps one day when have a full-sized office will feel differently!

Last edited:

Mdv2

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Been waiting to upgrade my MBP late 2013 13", but I am not excited enough with this line up to pull the trigger. The Air has heat issues, so it's not an option either, guess I am going to stick to my late 2013 for another year.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

I wonder if Apple is saving a MBP redesign for their rumoured arm processor refresh, if only to sweeten the pot and entice the fence-sitters.

Alexander_im

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
To me this hesitation «Buy now or wait for the possible autumn release?» feels like May of 2015 all over again. I vividly remember there were lots of rumours about an all-new design, but instead Apple released the same Pro 15" with a Force touch trackpad, and it received a lot of hate back then for being such a letdown.

I was in dire need of a new computer but still was hesitant, as there were new rumours about the full redesign in October. Ultimately I’ve decided to pull the trigger and bought a 15", which is now praised in certain MacRumors threads as «God’s MBP» (it’s funny to remember what people were saying about it five years ago). And we all know what has happened in reality despite those «new design soon» rumours.

Now we have a very minor update and the rumours pointing towards the possible October release of 14.1" Mini-LED. I’ve been looking forward to buy that 14", as I had 15" and numerous iPads during all these years, as well as 13" nTB on my work. Still hesitant, but it feels like 16/512 version will stand the test of the time and retain the value in a way just like 15" did. Especially if we're not getting anything new this year.

Last edited:

Random_uninteresting_user

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2020
I was planning to replace my old 2014 13" (which was mishandled in repairs recently) with a new base model 13", but now I am probably going to go for a higher end 13" instead.

I am preparing to do a podcast, which I plan to edit in Hindenburg Journalist Pro. I guess a bit more power won't harm when it comes to editing and cleaning up sound.

Would 16 GB RAM suffice, or do I need to go for the full 32 GB?

KoolSafak

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2020
I might know what happens here:

Do you remember when Windows RT was a complete fail?
And Windows 10 on ARM is still very slow in gaining any share

Apple fears, rightfully, that they face the same consumer backlash

So they'll put miniLED and 14 inch, WiFi 6 and better Facetime into one machine to rule them all.
It will be the Uber Mac, die best Mac ever designed and so on. But with the little caveat, that it runs on ARM
It will sell like hotcakes, developers get onboard, and Apple makes a lot of $$$

And they release a Air without fan (not loud like this 2020 MBA). Again: "Thank good, Apple switch to their own Chips"

Reactions: ModusOperandi

londonbairn

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
I am okay with the new specs. I want a compact 13” (I have a MBP 15 2018 and iMac Pro). I bought the 2.3ghz/512gb/16gb model with EPP. Perfect for what I want it for.

I am not bothered about 14, it is not a size I personally want. I was going to get the MBA2020 but given the minute difference in weight etc it makes more sense to get the MBP 13.

motime

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2015
Safe to say the 16 inch mbp is the only one worth buying right now and maybe the air. No point buying a 13 inch as its really outdated in a lot of ways. The higher end 13 inch isn't bad bad machine but at that price might as well grab the 16 inch.

Last edited:
Reactions: ModusOperandi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.