Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Looking back was the 14” rumor based on anything other than hopes that since the 15” went to 16”, the same would immediately happen to the 13” in the next refresh.

The nearest rumor I recall was Kuo stating the 14.1” MBP would come with mini-LED in 2021. Nothing for 2020.

Again, with no fuzzy camera pics of a new panel or a leaked CAD drawing, I just couldn’t believe a 14” was happening this month. Prosser seems like the type that needs to be first - he would have sung it all over his Twitter page prior to today if it was so.

Reactions: KPOM and playtech1

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
In all I think this was meant to be a higher end refresh not one for the base models. Just because the air and pro feature 10th gen quad core chips doesn’t mean they can be compared one has a 10w chip the other 28w one with a single fan not connected to the heat sink the other dual fans both connected to the heat sink. One can handle sustained high performance the other can’t. If the £1799 model has a bigger screen there would have likely been no complaints yet we’ve got a machine that offer decent value compared to its predecessor and no one seems to like it
[automerge]1588609126[/automerge]
Looking back was the 14” rumor based on anything other than hopes that since the 15” went to 16”, the same would immediately happen to the 13” in the next refresh.

The nearest rumor I recall was Kuo stating the 14.1” MBP would come with mini-LED in 2021. Nothing for 2020.

Again, with no fuzzy camera pics of a new panel or a leaked CAD drawing, I just couldn’t believe a 14” was happening this month. Prosser seems like the type that needs to be first - he would have sung it all over his Twitter page prior to today if it was so.
The 14” was quoted for late 2020 not early there was also reports in November stating that it would be staying the same so most of the hope that people (including myself) had were based on no leaks at all really

kevvvvvv

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2017
Hi, just wondering..

I am thinking of getting the lower end model 8th gen but with 512gb and 16gb RAM (2133mhz) (16gb ram upgrade is 100 bucks)

Wondering if it will be a significant difference in terms of performance compared to the higher end model (10th gen, 512gb, 16gb RAM 3733mhz) --> price is kind of too much for me

(PS: don't really use heavy softwares... mainly just many safari tabs, PDF reader, one note, spotify, facetime/zoom etc, multitasking mainly! Video calling is probably the most intensive one i suppose because its the one that causes my current late 2013 MPB's fans to stirrrrr)

Thank you!

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I've wondered the same thing, but don't think the ARM will be a 'Pro' model. My guess is that the first ARM notebook will be a 12" MacBook for ultraportability combined with a long battery life.

I've also been intrigued by an idea someone posted a long time ago that eventually an iPhone will plug into a MacBook shell to become both the computer and the trackpad.
I think the future of personal computing - in the next decade or two - is one powerful folding device that can be your phone and tablet, as well as docking as a workstation and powering augmented reality devices wirelessly.

Talking near future, I think if the rumours of a 12 core ARM chip are true (bearing in mind single core performance of the iPhone SE is higher than the i9 MacBook Pro), it's not outside the realms of possibility that the first ARM Macs are the Pro line (just like the Intel transition). Though yes it's perhaps more likely for the testbed to be a MBA/12" MB.

Reactions: ascender and AFPBoy

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
In all I think this was meant to be a higher end refresh not one for the base models. Just because the air and pro feature 10th gen quad core chips doesn’t mean they can be compared one has a 10w chip the other 28w one with a single fan not connected to the heat sink the other dual fans both connected to the heat sink. One can handle sustained high performance the other can’t. If the £1799 model has a bigger screen there would have likely been no complaints yet we’ve got a machine that offer decent value compared to its predecessor and no one seems to like it
[automerge]1588609126[/automerge]

The 14” was quoted for late 2020 not early there was also reports in November stating that it would be staying the same so most of the hope that people (including myself) had were based on no leaks at all really

Kuo revised the timeline to 2021 in March - https://9to5mac.com/2020/03/03/kuo-imac-pro-14-inch-macbook-pro/

AFPBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
Talking near future, I think if the rumours of a 12 core ARM chip are true (bearing in mind single core performance of the iPhone SE is higher than the i9 MacBook Pro), it's not outside the realms of possibility that the first ARM Macs are the Pro line (just like the Intel transition). Though yes it's perhaps more likely for the testbed to be a MBA/12" MB.

Personally I can't see Apple transitioning the Pro first just because of software compatibility, Rosetta-like software not withstanding. Though I don't know what happens if the ARM MacBook outperforms an x86 MacBook on the same software.

The last time I transitioned CPU architectures on a personal computer was from a Commodore 64 to a 486DX-33 PC compatible. Should be interesting, for sure.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
We all have assumptions on what part of Apple's lineup will transition to ARM first but the fact is we don't really know. I've read it will start with a 12-inch MacBook for developers to work on ARM architecture Mac apps, much like they did in 2006 with the Power Mac G5 into an Intel developer Mac. Who knows how far along this transition is. The rumors have had Apple working on this for many, many years. So it could be a lot further along than we think.

Reactions: Tekguy0

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I get that not getting the 14” screen is disappointing I was really looking forward to it but think of it this way compared to yesterday the £1799 model is essentially £400 cheaper. It has double there ram double the storage not to mention the various other improvements so I think it’s a fairly worthy upgrade. Besides not getting the larger screen what are the reasons people are disappointed?

Even if screen size was same, people I think rightfully kind of expected a bezel shrink (currently heavily outdated in the industry) - especially when the 15” got that treatment. And nobody like to buy “old tech”, which unfortunately this MacBook has been tarnished with due to not making that move.

Saying that, lack of WiFi6 is also a strange omission, I can understand why they would have skipped it on the 16” (9th gen CPU) but on 10th gen laptops, it shouldn’t be missing.

But apart from that, yes the laptop is better today than it was yesterday and at a much better value proposition - although many will argue the 13” relative to the 15” was overpriced...

Reactions: ModusOperandi

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
even worse, 2133MHz instead of 3733MHz RAM. The RAM of a Pro model slower than that of the MBAir
Great!
Yes but I’m almost 100% sure that the base model will be updated before the end of July the main reason it hasn’t I can imagine is because of a lack of the specially configured 15w chips that will be more in demand than the 28w chips
[automerge]1588612321[/automerge]
Even if screen size was same, people I think rightfully kind of expected a bezel shrink (currently heavily outdated in the industry) - especially when the 15” got that treatment. And nobody like to buy “old tech”, which unfortunately this MacBook has been tarnished with due to not making that move.

Saying that, lack of WiFi6 is also a strange omission, I can understand why they would have skipped it on the 16” (9th gen CPU) but on 10th gen laptops, it shouldn’t be missing.

But apart from that, yes the laptop is better today than it was yesterday and at a much better value proposition - although many will argue the 13” relative to the 15” was overpriced...
Agreed and I think they’ll have a 14” screen before the year is out. The question is though would people rather have had no refresh at all until November or have what we had today

Reactions: mbaire

benobi

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2016
I have to firmly throw my hat into the 'disappointed' ring as well. Just a very lackluster update, especially when compared to the 16" and the Air. I was ready and excited to upgrade but will definitely be holding off now. Lets just compare the most recent updates:

The 16" Pro got a larger screen, updated processors (9th gen), new faster GPU options, more storage, studio quality microphones, better speakers, larger battery, better thermal performance, and the new keyboard - all for the same price.

The Air got updated processors (10th gen), quad core options for the first time, more storage, and the new keyboard - plus a $100 price cut.

The entry level 13" Pro got... more storage and the new keyboard.

The high end 13" pro got updated processors (10th gen), more storage, more faster RAM and the new keyboard.

IMO, the entry level 13" shouldn't even be considered a viable purchase option at this point in time. Go for the lighter, cheaper, Air. The higher end 13" is now a better value, but real-world performance gains will most likely be quite lackluster. The Air got much better performance gains and value in the last update. The 16" blew everything out of the water. To me, this update just really feels like a stop-gap for bigger and better things to come (similar to last year's 15" mid-year update).

And so the waiting game continues...

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I still can't believe this is what Apple ended up releasing... hell, my Surface Laptop 3 has Wi-Fi 6. So, with Apple Care, the 16GB/256GB Pro configuration would be a little over $1,600. That's just not worth it for me, especially since my SL is $1,200, including Microsoft Complete. That's $400 cheaper--that's money I could put towards a new iPad Pro, which I would use 85% of the time over my laptop anyway. Meh.

Reactions: Falhófnir

NauticalDan

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
Canada
Not that it adds much, but yeah - I was really hoping to be ordering a new laptop today and I'm not.

Disappointments: no 14", no WiFi 6.

It looks like the most outdated laptop in the lineup now, and it's Apple, aesthetics are part of why I'm in this ecosystem.

I haven't ruled it out, but probably going to wait and compare against the Dell XPS 15 which might be a lot more laptop packed into a similar size.

dmx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
It may have been nice, but I don't particularly care about WiFi 6 (I've never had an issue with normal AC), and the 14" would have been cool but I can deal with current screen size. My biggest issue is lack of 10th generation chips on entry level. What crap. Ditch the worthless Touch Bar too.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
If the £1799 model has a bigger screen there would have likely been no complaints yet we’ve got a machine that offer decent value compared to its predecessor and no one seems to like it
People do like it. I am also disappointed with this update. Those, who wanted to get $1799 model are good for now.
But those who were aiming at $1299 got screwed. I also don't care much about 14inch, but that 8th gen CPU in the base is a joke.

souko

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2017
At first I was disappointed too. But after I realized that base i5 8th gen is boosting around 3-3.1GHz in cinebench r20. So it is not so big problem.

• Haha
Reactions: ModusOperandi

FastLaneJB

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Really annoyed it didn't have WiFi 6! However I just cannot quite find the perfect machine as seems there's always an issue here or there. So will accept that and I've ordered an i7 with 32GB RAM and a 2TB SSD. I cannot see me filling 2TB so 4TB just isn't needed.

At some point maybe in a few years I'll pass this one onto the wife and retire her MacBook Pro 15 2013 that's still doing strong. Then can see what's around again at the time.

Because of the lack of WiFi 6 I did consider getting a MacBook Pro 16 but in the end I like the extra portability. I might end up getting an eGPU to dock this nicely at some point and upgrade my screens. I've had had my 2 x 24inch 1080p setup for like 15 odd years probably now so definitely time for an upgrade.

uer23

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2020
Notice how the update gets tiny segment towards the end of the homepage, and it's seems like it's not even marketed to show a refresh. ? It looks like even Apple are ashamed of this release. Rightly so ofc. You have to go on the Mac page to notice anything 'New' about it.

NauticalDan

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
Canada
Notice how the update gets tiny segment towards the end of the homepage, and it's seems like it's not even marketed to show a refresh. ? It looks like even Apple are ashamed of this release. Rightly so ofc. You have to go on the Mac page to notice anything 'New' about it.

You know it's bad when the dedicated escape key makes it that high up on the "Overview / Features" page.

sundialsoft

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Scotland
oh well I'm glad I didn't wait for today's announcement. My MBA arrives on Thursday and I would have bought it anyway once I saw the specs of the new MBP. Those renders of a 14" MPB can be scrapped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.