Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Something is happening with the lower-tiered specs. I’m speculating either a secondary refresh after WWDC or they will be in line for the ARM move in 2021. It’s just weird that those chips weren’t refreshed. A supply issue with Intel?

Useless Touchbar

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2020
I’m honestly still enjoying my Surface Laptop 3. It’s a breath of fresh air in comparison to a MacBook, but I’m nervous about its longevity, especially its fragile screen, which I’ve read is susceptible to cracking. I’ve never owned a Windows computer before, and I trust Apple.

If I bump up the RAM to 16GB in the base model MBP 13-inch, it’ll be $1,393 with my student discount, which isn’t bad and is cheaper than the Air with the 16GB/512GB option. I don’t know what to do. I need a reliable laptop by June because of my huge online test. I really like the SL3, but I don’t know if I can trust Microsoft like I can Apple. Ugh.
I personally want to wait for new XPS 15 before making any decisions about my next laptop. I was expecting Apple to make that decision easy for me but they didn't. Maybe Apple will come up with a new update in next few months, let's see. I'm kinda tired of waiting for Apple to do the obvious things though.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Yes, which we assumed they’d have to do, so I’m surprised they didn’t upgrade the screen size as well given they were amending the chassis design.

I wonder if this lends weight to to the rumour that ARM will be here sooner than anybody expected?
I think WWDC is the perfect time to do it - there's no getting around having to tell developers in advance so software can be updated. The question is whether it's WWDC 20 or WWDC 21. The Intel transition was announced at WWDC 05, with the first Macs shipping in January 2006. The whole lineup was transitioned by August 2006.

I guess an announcement this June with the first Macs coming in early 2021 isn't impossible, though it would seem pretty soon.

This update definitely feels half-arsed, seemingly just to get Butterfly keyboards out of the lineup. Maybe the mythical 14" MBP will be the first ARM machine?

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I personally want to wait for new XPS 15 before making any decisions about my next laptop. I was expecting Apple to make that decision easy for me but they didn't. Maybe Apple will come up with a new update in next few months, let's see. I'm kinda tired of waiting for Apple to do the obvious things though.
It’s really exhausting. How can they even about realizing such a ****** computer after they released the 16-inch? I thought Apple was finally changing.

I just know the new XPS 15 will be out of my price range, but, damn, it looks nice in the leaks. Apple could never.

uer23

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2020
Very disappointing from Apple, but it was expected tbh. When have Apple ever listened to it's buyers ? Their products have always been outdated compared to it's competitors.

What's the verdict for you guys ? People still waiting out a couple more months post WWDC for a possible further update ? Or do you reckon this is pretty much it, in terms of refresh to the 13' line up for this year ?

dirteater666

Suspended
May 1, 2020
It’s really exhausting. How can they even about realizing such a ****** computer after they released the 16-inch? I thought Apple was finally changing.

I just know the new XPS 15 will be out of my price range, but, damn, it looks nice in the leaks. Apple could never.

it makes perfect sense what do you mean, we just expected apple to do what was best for us not what was best for them. If they hold out implementing the desirable features and throw them in on their new ARM models more people will swap over from intel. You do realize there will be the same crop of "people who really need a new laptop" next year, right? They're about numbers and they don't want to blow their load on a model that may undercut their major move next year.

The LAST thing they want is people holding onto what they feel was the "best laptop of all time" from them that came out only 1 year before a major design change they'll have trouble convincing people to switch to anyway.

Salomonander

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2020
Actually there is an i7 as well when going into the configurator. But he price... when choosing 512gb and 16 ram its just as expensive as the 16“
doesnt make sense to me honestly.

Muyfa666

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2019
Sweden
I'm sorry, but I don't see how this is disappointing at all?
New CPU, new keyboard, physical escape button AND touchbar (best of two worlds IMO), better pricing. With the exception of a dGPU this has everything I was hoping for. This is finally the one MBP13 to rule them all! :)

dirteater666

Suspended
May 1, 2020
New CPU, new keyboard, physical escape button AND touchbar (best of two worlds IMO), better pricing. With the exception of a dGPU this has everything I was hoping for. This is finally the one MBP13 to rule them all! :)

new major releases shouldnt be outclassed by your own older hardware for a similar price day 1

Reactions: ModusOperandi

emace94

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2020
I think most everyone was hoping for the same treatment they previously gave the 15" to 16" update with decreased bezzel sizes and increased screen real estate.

The base models also got much more of an spec upgrade with the 16" update. In order to better differentiate the pro line from the new airs they should have dropped the lower tier pros and increased the screen and specs and maybe started at like $1499?

Muyfa666

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2019
Sweden
I think most everyone was hoping for the same treatment they previously gave the 15" to 16" update with decreased bezzel sizes and increased screen real estate.
I see. Well, I didn't expect anything, so I wasn't disappointed. ;-)

And really, expectations should've been in line with what MBA got, which was nice, but small.

Reactions: 88Keys

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Actually there is an i7 as well when going into the configurator. But he price... when choosing 512gb and 16 ram its just as expensive as the 16“ doesnt make sense to me honestly.

That’s always been the case though hasn’t it? By the time you added 512 & 16GB RAM, you ended up at 15/16” price (Or thereabouts).

Problem is, the 16” is just too big for some people.

Reactions: Tekguy0

dirteater666

Suspended
May 1, 2020
What do you mean?

yes it's better than last generation, yes you've got better upgrade options, yes the keyboard has been updated but the vector the MBA has taken puts it in the same place as the entry models for the new 13" and no generational leaps have been made to make this anything more than the bare minimum they could deliver ahead of their ARM model. The leaps the 16" made drew the 15" and 13" crowd alike and in light of that this release feels underwhelming to those who felt they were going to make a similar step with a truly distinguishable middleweight 14" model

Aj6658

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2019
When do people think the processor will be updated or if/when they will move to a 14in?

I'm currently sporting an early 2015 MBA which has done be well for wed browsing and football manager but the battery last a couples of hours, the trackpad is stiff, the screen is not up to standard in 2020 and have noticed slowdown.

I wanted to invest in something that will last another 5 years and keep me playing football manager and some light photo editing.

If theres a chance that the base model will be updated with a new screen/ processors in the year i would wait. If not i might just bite the bullet and get the air (cheaper and 10th gen)

dirteater666

Suspended
May 1, 2020
When do people think the processor will be updated or if/when they will move to a 14in?

I'm currently sporting an early 2015 MBA which has done be well for wed browsing and football manager but the battery last a couples of hours, the trackpad is stiff, the screen is not up to standard in 2020 and have noticed slowdown.

I wanted to invest in something that will last another 5 years and keep me playing football manager and some light photo editing.

If theres a chance that the base model will be updated with a new screen/ processors in the year i would wait. If not i might just bite the bullet and get the air (cheaper and 10th gen)

the processor was just updated. 14" likely to coincide with ARM release next year.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I am a bit surprised by no bezel shrink (or 14” size), it just seems so inconsistent to the 16”. Ah well.

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I picked up a new MacBook Air a couple weeks ago. I was iffy on it or waiting for the Pro.

After today’s announcement, I have no regrets at all.

Same. Was about to return the MBA I just got because I thought there would be a 14" MBP.

ozzieman10

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2020
Well i gave up waiting and just received my macbook pro 13 2019 today with 256gb, i guess i should return it and pocket $300 Aus for the same spec 2020 Hmmm

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
I get that not getting the 14” screen is disappointing I was really looking forward to it but think of it this way compared to yesterday the £1799 model is essentially £400 cheaper. It has double there ram double the storage not to mention the various other improvements so I think it’s a fairly worthy upgrade. Besides not getting the larger screen what are the reasons people are disappointed?

Last edited:

AFPBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
This update definitely feels half-arsed, seemingly just to get Butterfly keyboards out of the lineup. Maybe the mythical 14" MBP will be the first ARM machine?

I've wondered the same thing, but don't think the ARM will be a 'Pro' model. My guess is that the first ARM notebook will be a 12" MacBook for ultraportability combined with a long battery life.

I've also been intrigued by an idea someone posted a long time ago that eventually an iPhone will plug into a MacBook shell to become both the computer and the trackpad.

SvenLorenz1975

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2015
Germany
I don't think that I've been this disappointed with Apple in the 14 years I've been buying Macs. So, I guess I'll be seeing how Windows has changed since Windows XP, once the Dell XPS 15 is released.

Wait, I just looked at the technical details - it doesn't even have WiFi6? What are they thinking?

Last edited:
Reactions: ModusOperandi

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
The 14" rumor really set expectations too high. I think that's why so many are disappointed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.