Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
Is it worth waiting for any further updates to the 13' this year ?
It depends on how long you can wait. We could see a 14” screen in October/November however I’d wait until the next Kuo prediction and see if it gets pushed back into next year. If there’s no evidence of a launch before early October I’ll be buying the current £1799 model

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Is it worth waiting for any further updates to the 13' this year ?
Lots in the rumour mill, Arm devices, mini LED, 14" display, but I'd say this is pretty much it until at least the very end of the year (and even that's 50:50 or less with all that's going on). Unless you're happy to wait until this time next year if it doesn't happen in the Oct-Nov timeframe, now's as good a time as any to buy.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Just placed an order for a base 13" Pro 2GHz i5/16GB/512 in Space Gray through Best Buy. Says it should ship by the 15th but hopefully it will sooner. I've been wanting to go back to a smaller laptop so I'll see how I re-adjust. If I don't like it I'll send it back and keep my 15" Pro a little bit longer.

uer23

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2020
Doubt there will be another 13 this year. If your not going for the 8th gen base models, the 10th gen I think is a good bit of kit.

I'm thinking of the 10th gen £1799 model, just hope it can last me another good 5-6 years before I even think of an upgrade. I just prefer the form factor of a 13inch.

W3tz

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2020
NL
Also looking at the 13" MBP 10th gen. i5/16GB/512. I like the form factor of the Air; shame it seems to have cooling issues and a fan which has to work a lot with certain software.
The Apple strategy for a 8th and 10th gen. CPU in the MBP 2020 line, is a bit annoying; it would have been nice to see all the MBP's with the 10th gen.
At this moment, the cheapest MBP 2020, 10th gen. i5, with the fast RAM, will go for 2129 EUR in The Netherlands (=2300 USD).

Reactions: ModusOperandi

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
Awesome, May i ask why you didnt wait for the rumored 14" or it just needed one right away?

It’s a good question. The short of it is I’m impatient :p

The longer version is:
1) We don’t know when exactly the 14” is set to arrive, I’m inclined to think it won’t be until 2021.
2) The difference between 13.3” and 14” is negligible in my opinion, the slightly thinner bezels would be nice but it would come at a cost of a slightly larger device footprint (just like the 16” is a tad bigger than the 15” body)
3) MiniLED will be a cool upgrade for sure but with new tech comes a bit of uncertainty. I’m willing to wait a few years for that tech to mature and hopefully microLED will be mainstream by the time of my next upgrade.
4) The higher speed ram + 32GB is mouth watering in that form factor of 13”
5) I’m taking a bit of a gamble anyways because my workflow does rely on Adobe CC. So if it doesn’t work out, I’ll return and either get a 2019 16” or wait for a nearly certain late 2020 refresh of the 16”.

Reactions: KashKave

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Okay so need some advice. I have a early 2015 MBP that is on its last leg (battery wise)

I even had apple replace the battery and its still bad. I need a new computer and can afford one. I love the size of the 13 inch. Hate anything bigger. So my question is: Will the supposed 14 inch be the exact same size as the 13 inch? Meaning if you put the 13 and 14 inch side by side they will be around the same size? Based on rumors?

I was really ready to buy one this morning but I could wait if needed.

Reactions: manuel.s90

manuel.s90

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2020
So I'm really considering the 8th gen base model (with 16 GB RAM), but I kind of hate the idea of investing in outdated tech.

I've got a 2,3 GHz 16 GB RAM MBP from 2018 and all I'd get from the new investment (around 400-500 € after selling the current one) is a better keyboard. The butterfly keyboard sucks so bad, however, that I'm still willing to do that.

Still, I've got two questions for you guys:

1. The 2020 8th gen base model is clocked at 1,4 GHz, my current 8th gen is clocked at 2,3 GHz. Would that result in worse performance compared to my current model?
  2. Considering resale value etc., would it be better to invest in the 10th gen model now? It would be a lot more expensive and I don't think I need the power (I mostly do web development and some occasional photo and video editing).
Edit: I compared my current one to the new base model on GeekBench, seems like there's not much of a difference at all. So I've decided I'll go for the budget version and just get rid of that butterfly keyboard. Going to keep that new machine for at least a year and possibly see what's on the market by then (mini LED, 14", etc.).

Last edited:
Reactions: ascender

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
So I'm really considering the 8th gen base model (with 16 GB RAM), but I kind of hate the idea of investing in outdated tech.

I've got a 2,3 GHz 16 GB RAM MBP from 2018 and all I'd get from the new investment (around 400-500 € after selling the current one) is a better keyboard. The butterfly keyboard sucks so bad, however, that I'm still willing to do that.

Still, I've got two questions for you guys:

1. The 2020 8th gen base model is clocked at 1,4 GHz, my current 8th gen is clocked at 2,3 GHz. Would that result in worse performance compared to my current model?
  2. Considering resale value etc., would it be better to invest in the 10th gen model now? It would be a lot more expensive and I don't think I need the power (I mostly do web development and some occasional photo and video editing).
Edit: I compared my current one to the new base model on GeekBench, seems like there's not much of a difference at all. So I've decided I'll go for the budget version and just get rid of that butterfly keyboard. Going to keep that new machine for at least a year and possibly see what's on the market by then (mini LED, 14", etc.).

I do wonder what the used market for butterfly-keyboard Pros is going to be like, particularly once the 4 year warranty has run out. Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that the final revision of the keyboard is much more reliable. Does anybody outside of the Apple nerd community even know about the keyboard issues?

I think its a good move to upgrade if you can afford to - I agree, I think it will be next year when we get a proper redesign and possibly ARM Pro. Just can’t see them moving to a 14” screen now, given we‘re all expecting ARM next year.

Reactions: manuel.s90

uer23

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2020
I'm most likely going to buy the refresh but just going to wait out a bit, check to see the reviews on YouTube on how big the jump is from the base 1299 to the Mid tier 1799.

massy72

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2017
I'm most likely going to buy the refresh but just going to wait out a bit, check to see the reviews on YouTube on how big the jump is from the base 1299 to the Mid tier 1799.
can you send me the link youtube of this comparison?

manuel.s90

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2020
I do wonder what the used market for butterfly-keyboard Pros is going to be like, particularly once the 4 year warranty has run out. Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that the final revision of the keyboard is much more reliable. Does anybody outside of the Apple nerd community even know about the keyboard issues?

I think its a good move to upgrade if you can afford to - I agree, I think it will be next year when we get a proper redesign and possibly ARM Pro. Just can’t see them moving to a 14” screen now, given we‘re all expecting ARM next year.

I've got the final revision of that keyboard and it's become quite unreliable after a year of use. The space bar feels odd sometimes and I get random double letters. The arrow key layout and the lack of an escape key are annoying. I knew that beforehand but didn't expect it be so much of an issue.

I could afford the new 10th gen MBP but I'd rather save the money and wait what's on the market 21/22. I'd rather invest more money in mini LED, 14", ARM etc. and save the 600 bucks for now. The 2020 8th gen will be fine for my type of usage and maybe I'll even keep it much longer than 21/22.

Resale value of the butterfly MacBooks is also why I want to sell mine immediately before it loses even more value.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Is this the first time they’ve had an off-the-shelf, stock option for 16GB RAM on the 13”?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Will the supposed 14 inch be the exact same size as the 13 inch? Meaning if you put the 13 and 14 inch side by side they will be around the same size?

It'll most likely be the same as the 15 to 16 inch refresh.

14 inch will be a little bit bigger than the 13 inch, and a tad thicker.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow

I’ve got a friend who isn’t techy and doesn’t know about the keyboards. He’s on the 2015 rMB and is loving the keyboard without issue and that’s been 5 years now. Another friend had a 2016 rMB and she was a bit of a nightmare really loads of crumbs and a spillage even a dodgy attempt to fix a key yet didn’t know about the issues or the repair program but I took it in and got her a new top case so hopefully that’ll be it sorted from now on

padams35

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2016
The 2020 8th gen base model is clocked at 1,4 GHz, my current 8th gen is clocked at 2,3 GHz. Would that result in worse performance compared to my current model?

Pretty sure the 2,3 GHz 13" was the mid-2017 dual-core 7th gen. With more cores and a faster turbo (3,9GHz) I'd expect the newer 1,4 quad-core to win at multi-threading and short-term single-core. Not sure how long single-core grinds would compare though.

uer23

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2020
Do you lot reckon the current MBP release was substandard because of rona, or they had these products in the pipeline regardless ? It just doesn't make sense considering MBA got a considerable refresh a month or two back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.