Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
Wow, the new cpus are overpriced dog ****:

check the results, 1213/4319. For premium price you get much worse cpu than my last year laptop lenovo c940 with i7-1065G (https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/1670064). LMAO, good job apple!
A synthetic benchmark is hardly the best way of measuring performance. Besides your Lenovo doesn’t come with MacOS and all of it’s many benefits. Out of curiosity what was your Lenovo’s score if it was that much better

Reactions: ascender

incredibleBread

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2020
I hope this doesn't come off as snarky, I genuinely am wondering the relevance of talking about the integrated graphics? Integrated graphics in general is crap so just because it has improved, in my mind, doesn't mean the CPU is much better. It seems like the weakest point to argue for the CPU.

Though, I might be missing something there. What are your thoughts?

• Wow
Reactions: ModusOperandi

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2019
I hope this doesn't come off as snarky, I genuinely am wondering the relevance of talking about the integrated graphics? Integrated graphics in general is crap so just because it has improved, in my mind, doesn't mean the CPU is much better. It seems like the weakest point to argue for the CPU.

Though, I might be missing something there. What are your thoughts?

It really depends on how you use it imo. There are people like content creators that travel a lot and do not want the weight of the 16". Looking at Max's new vid shows the IGPU giving quite a boost for final cut x with cutting rendering times in half.

trojans10

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2020
Question: I ordered the top of the line 13 on the 4th. Lets say I wanted to compare it to the 16inch. With all the apple stores closed at the moment, is my best option to order a 16. Then see which one I like the most, then return the one I won't use?

Money isn't really an issue as my company is paying for it, but I like 13in for the size. That said, I have a 2012 13in. Maybe a 16in would be interesting to try out. I like sitting on the couch or bed with my laptop and working tho. I use an ultrafine 5k monitor when at a desk. My work is mainly analytics, some design, dev, etc. Tough decision.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Quick question. On the overview page on MacOS which shows the specs on both of the new models it says MacBook Pro 13 2020. Not early or mid 2020. Does all Macs say this until their successor releases or could the mean that there will be no other updates to the 13” model this year. (Like a base model spec bump or a hint to a 14” model)
I would expect them to call it 2020 until a second model comes out later in the year. I don't know what the early 2013 was called before the late 2013 came out? Calling it 'early 2020' now would give away that they're planning to launch another one later in the year.

Reactions: ModusOperandi

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Question: I ordered the top of the line 13 on the 4th. Lets say I wanted to compare it to the 16inch. With all the apple stores closed at the moment, is my best option to order a 16. Then see which one I like the most, then return the one I won't use?

Money isn't really an issue as my company is paying for it, but I like 13in for the size. That said, I have a 2012 13in. Maybe a 16in would be interesting to try out. I like sitting on the couch or bed with my laptop and working tho. I use an ultrafine 5k monitor when at a desk. My work is mainly analytics, some design, dev, etc. Tough decision.

Yes, that would be a good way to do it As you have the 14 day return period.

In my opinion, unless you need the portability - i.e. you’re going to be using this on the move - coffee shops, trains, planes etc, the 16” is a better buy. Putting power-related specs aside, its got amazing speakers, better mics and a larger screen. But its a much bigger footprint.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
MacRumors users for the last 4 years.... "We don't care what else you do, but please, for the love of God, get rid of those butterfly keyboards!!!!!"

Apple... "OK, here you go & we've doubled the storage."

Macrumors users... "Wait, that's it? But we want MORE!!!!"

massy72

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2017

For your use, My opinion is that the 13 is better. Because you have also an external monitor. So you can choose portability or more display every time
If you need more power, 16 is a unique choice

binkie

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2020
MacRumors users for the last 4 years.... "We don't care what else you do, but please, for the love of God, get rid of those butterfly keyboards!!!!!"

The Air was a fair upgrade, the new iPhone SE is a fair price, but the new MBP 2020 is a complete rip off.
But hey I wouldn’t expect better from hardcore Apple users...

Apple... "OK, here you go & we've doubled the storage." And we have given you the 2018 8th chip, DDR3, WiFi 5 for just €1500!
Congratulations you’ve just got ripped a new one by Tim 

Want the 10th gen CPU and DDR4 like every Windows laptop on the planet? Sure, that would be €2139!

Last edited by a moderator:

Enerccio

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2020

the only reason they doubled the storage is because 64GB nand flash is rare and expensive, so apple was forced to. I bet if 64GB flash was not so rare they would still sell 128GB base models with "hurr durr you don't need more for basic work hurr" while cashing on all the upgrades

Muyfa666

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2019
Sweden
The Air was a fair upgrade, the new iPhone SE is a fair price, but the new MBP 2020 is a complete rip off.
But hey I wouldn’t expect better from hardcore Apple users...

Apple... "OK, here you go & we've doubled the storage." And we have given you the 2018 8th chip, DDR3, WiFi 5 for just €1500!
Congratulations you’ve just got ripped a new one by Tim 

Want the 10th gen CPU and DDR4 like every Windows laptop on the planet? Sure, that would be €2139!

This is just nitpicking IMO. We got the new keyboard, better CPU with alot better GPU performance, better base models for lower price.

Most of the things the forum users have been wishing for is not even things most ppl can utilize. Wifi 6? Most ppl I know don't even use 5Ghz AC yet, let alone AX. Webcam? I haven't used a webcam for 20 years. Should I need it 720p should do the job. 14-inch screen? The screen we have now is one of the best in business if you ask me.

I know what's coming now; "lots of other brands have this and that and blablabla..." Yes they do, but pretty much all of the other brands that play in the same league have poor QC (yes I've actually tried pretty much all of the competion) and that completely puts me off.

I am actually a die hard Windows user, but no PC laptop have the hardware quality of the Macbook Pro 13, so that is what I use. MacOS works in 90% of my scenarios, and for the few things I actually NEED Windows, boot camp works fine.

TL:DR, could Apple have put some more gravy on this release? Sure.
Is this only a minor refresh? If you like to see it that way, yes.

Personally, I think this is pretty much everything I ever wished for on a MBP13 2020 realistically.

Everything else is just wishing and hoping. This is now, and fine it is.

In my ever so humble oppinion of course. ;-)

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
My enter key and a few other keys are starting to play up on my 2016 13 inch pro. ?‍♂️

Luckily blowing air into the keyboard seems to fix them for a short period of time. ?‍♂️

Hurry up 14 inch MacBook Pro mini led.

With no strong rumours or leaks, unlikely we'll see it before the end of the year or early next year. ?

Reactions: ascender

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
My enter key and a few other keys are starting to play up on my 2016 13 inch pro. ?‍♂️

Luckily blowing air into the keyboard seems to fix them for a short period of time. ?‍♂️

Hurry up 14 inch MacBook Pro mini led.

With no strong rumours or leaks, unlikely we'll see it before the end of the year or early next year. ?

Time to get it repaired under warranty? New keyboard, battery, top case and then sell it maybe?

Reactions: LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Time to get it repaired under warranty? New keyboard, battery, top case and then sell it maybe?
Might have to, got till the end of the year before the keyboard replacement program ends on my model.

Don’t really want the current 13 inch pro.

Maybe a 16 inch, or hold out using my current MacBook Pro and pray the keyboard doesn’t give in until the 14 inch is released. ??

Scorcher

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2017

I think the 16 inch is too big and bulky to sit on the couch and in bed. It’s more a stay at one place kind of computer

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
I think the 16 inch is too big and bulky to sit on the couch and in bed. It’s more a stay at one place kind of computer
I use my 16" on the couch in exactly the same way as my 2013 13" and notice a difference, but not a lot. I always put my machine on a pillow to lift it up a bit from my legs folded underneath.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005

I think the 16" is quite good on your lap to be honest, but this shows that the only way to know for sure is to try one out.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I am actually a die hard Windows user, but no PC laptop have the hardware quality of the Macbook Pro 13, so that is what I use. MacOS works in 90% of my scenarios, and for the few things I actually NEED Windows, boot camp works fine.

I would argue that on hardware side of things, Thinkpad X1C has way better build than MBP 13.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.