Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerslave12r

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
q
I'd love for them to bring back the 17" much like Dell has done as the top of the line "Workstattion". It can be done now at 4.5 pounds - very close to the form factor of the old 15.4 with the same weight or less.
I was hoping for the same, but with the launch of the 16", I don't see it happening soon.

Henrik H

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
Received (well, junior did) the 13” 10gen i5 model today. Initial impressions are good, oh the keyboard is so much better than on my 2016 model. Seems powerful enough, Minecraft runs ok! :) Nice and compact size compared to the 2014 model it is replacing.

I’ll run geekbench tests once all the initial indexing/photo analysis/icloudwhatnot has run, they stress the CPU quite a bit for the first few hours, it seems.

Reactions: LiamJoseph

Henrik H

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
16GB ram, it is for a high school student, should suffice.

I ran some tests, but they are really real-world ones, while running the benchmarks I noticed photoanalysisd again in the background, and Time Machine of course wanted to start backups

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2305586

^ this was cpu+opencl result right after a reboot (hope I am allowed to paste links). There is some thermal throttling going on, if I rerun the test many times the score decreases somewhat (5%-10%) as the machine gets hotter.

Reactions: LiamJoseph

Klimara

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2020
Hey! Mine will arrive this saturday and since it is my first macbook I have no experience with it whatsoever.
So I just wanted to ask if I should put a screen protector on it?
Like, does it scratch easily? (the new 2020 13" macbook pro)
I don't know whether I should order a screen protector or just a microfiber cloth.
I'm very careful with my devices and would really hate it, if I scratched the screen, but I don't want to potentially damage it with a screen protector.

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Hey! Mine will arrive this saturday and since it is my first macbook I have no experience with it whatsoever.
So I just wanted to ask if I should put a screen protector on it?
Like, does it scratch easily? (the new 2020 13" macbook pro)
I don't know whether I should order a screen protector or just a microfiber cloth.
I'm very careful with my devices and would really hate it, if I scratched the screen, but I don't want to potentially damage it with a screen protector.

Never had to put a screen protector on any of my MBP's. I find they sometimes detract the true colors coming from the display. If you're worried about cracking your screen, just don't drop it! :)

Reactions: Klimara

LiamJoseph

macrumors member
May 24, 2020
Thank you so so much! You really took a weight off my chest :D.
I was debating it a lot and really didn't know what to do.

I'd agree with the top too. It's not like a phone where the display is on show at all times and is in your pocket so can be scratched by keys and etc. You're not likely to scratch it while using it and when you are on the move, as you close the lid - the screen won't be exposed. Although, I would recommend putting it in a case and taking out Apple Care + if you can for that extra piece of mind :)

You can buy cases that go on your laptop at all times (although I don't have one of these as it makes a bit thick imo) or one you just pop it into when you want to take it to places - whichever works for you.

Mattie12345

macrumors member
May 5, 2020
Never had to put a screen protector on any of my MBP's. I find they sometimes detract the true colors coming from the display. If you're worried about cracking your screen, just don't drop it! :)
I understand where you are coming from.

I had the concern when I owned my first MacBook.

I bought a keyboard protector which is a piece of plastic “protecting” the keyboard. That made marks on the screen over time.

I bought a sleeve. Best money I spent. Practically speaking, that is all I needed.

A simple microfobre cloth would do the trick if you need to clean the screen. I used the same cloth I clean my glasses with. If it doesn’t scratch my glasses, it should not harm the screen either.

Having said this, part of the fun in owning a new computer may be shopping new accessories for it. It could be hardware or software.

Enjoy your new computer. Congratulations.

Klimara

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2020
Thank you all for your advice! To be honest apple care + is a bit too much for me, considering I've never had the slightest problems with my ipad 2018 and my almost 7 year old iPhone. But I ordered a clear skin to prevent scratches, a microfiber cloth to clean the screen and a sleeve to protect it in general.
I'm really excited about it :D. Hopefully it'll last me a long time, considering I have about 5 years of university left (and will still need it afterwards).
I wish you all the best, stay safe!

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Thank you all for your advice! To be honest apple care + is a bit too much for me, considering I've never had the slightest problems with my ipad 2018 and my almost 7 year old iPhone. But I ordered a clear skin to prevent scratches, a microfiber cloth to clean the screen and a sleeve to protect it in general.
I'm really excited about it :D. Hopefully it'll last me a long time, considering I have about 5 years of university left (and will still need it afterwards).

I highly recommend Applecare+ if you can put it in your budget. Some issues arise with MBP's and it's nice to just be able to get it fixed for free. If something happens with your MBP and it is out of warranty, Apple charges a lot to get it fixed.

Reactions: surf4peace

Muyfa666

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2019
Sweden
Chiming in after a week with pretty high workflow. The MBP13 (2020) really works great, no issues, hardly ever hear any fans, super fluid.

Some very light gaming (ScummVM) and some Boot Camp.

Bought a dbrand skin, so it looks smashing too. :)

Attachments

• IMG_7264.JPG
    IMG_7264.JPG
    645.1 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: surf4peace

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012

I’m going to step in here and advise that you do get Apple Care+ for your new MBP. This is not the same as an iPad or an iPhone - although those can be costly to repair as well. There’s more than just the accidental damage coverage. It will be costly to get issues repaired without coverage. It is also good for 3 years. Makes sense to have yourself covered for the first 3 years of owning the product. You have 60 days from purchase to put it on.

Damien

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2004
Canterbury
Amazon UK had the i5 1TB version for £1,829 so I ordered it but now it's still out of stock with delivery date pending, very annoying.

higgalls

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2008
I find it frustrating that AppleCare+ needs to be purchased within the first 60 days. It used to be that you could purchase it any time within the first year, meaning that you could afford to put it off further.

hungryghosty

macrumors regular
May 14, 2020
I’m going to step in here and advise that you do get Apple Care+ for your new MBP.

I was mulling over getting it but I noticed on the small print that a lot of damages/repairs seem to have excess charges applied? So even with applecare+ you still have to pay towards the cost of a damaged screen/etc?

Most high price goods in the UK come with a warranty against defects anyway under EU law?

Taking all that into account is applecare really worth the money?

Mattie12345

macrumors member
May 5, 2020
I was mulling over getting it but I noticed on the small print that a lot of damages/repairs seem to have excess charges applied? So even with applecare+ you still have to pay towards the cost of a damaged screen/etc?

Most high price goods in the UK come with a warranty against defects anyway under EU law?

You have to read the fine print. Not all repairs are free with AppleCare.

It’s for peace of mind for some people and it’s a personal choice.

BTW, I didn’t buy AppleCare.

higgalls

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2008
It seems like accidental damage is the only repair you need to pay Apple for to fix. Every other failure of the MacBook Pro has no other fee associated with it as it is a warranty (and too right there should be an excess payable if you accidentally break it).

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London

Seems like the 10nm architecture makes the new 13” MBP maybe even preferable to the 16” due to efficiency/noise at a very small performance cost in non-graphic intensive workflows.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aquamite

hungryghosty

macrumors regular
May 14, 2020
It seems like accidental damage is the only repair you need to pay Apple for to fix. Every other failure of the MacBook Pro has no other fee associated with it as it is a warranty (and too right there should be an excess payable if you accidentally break it).

Thing is I'm pretty sure under UK/EU law you're entitled to 2 years for any defect or failure providing you didn't cause the damage anyway?

higgalls

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2008
Yeah Im in Australia and a case could even be made for 3 years of warranty support, but I've had issues under warranty and Apple have been amazing (and even issues 6 months outside warranty, and still massive support). So I think it is much easier to have AppleCare and not have to fight the battle if needed.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012

I know there are different protections in place for the UK based on the EU laws, but I am not familiar enough to advise either way. I will say that if the laws mean that all of your repairs for damage to or issues with your MBP are covered for 2+ years then I wouldn't buy AC+. We don't have those protections in the US, so unless one happens to get lucky, there will be costs associated with the device once out of its standard warranty.

The only other way I'm aware of to have protection without having AC+ here in the US is to use a credit card and/or purchase from a store (like Costco) that specifically offers extended protection. That option is not without its challenges (customer service, time to get reimbursed, may not get approved), but it is there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.