Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
At this point, if the mac that they put out in the next refresh doesn't represent more than a processor update, I think I'm going to go to a Windows machine. Sorry, don't hate me, etc.

It probably won't. Unless AMD has a new MBP 16 compatible GPU (Which they kinda already did when Apple added the 5600M with HBM2 memory as a new option a couple months ago). There's really nothing left to add to a new Intel based MBP 16 other than a negligible processor update. That's why i could see Apple skipping it and the next one being the ARM one. Only other thing they could add is MiniLED screen, a better webcam and wifi 6 and i'd imagine they'll wait for the ARM version to do all that so that the ARM one feels like an even bigger update compared to the 2019 MBP 16".

Last edited:
Reactions: ascender and cool11

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
My next mbp will be the 16' one.
But, do we have any estimations about when it will be on the market?
2020 goes to its end, so can we assume it will hit the market on 2021 or later on 2022?

But still I am a little bit concern to buy the 1st generation of apple silicon mbp...
but on the other hand, lets see what apple has done.

anjanesh

macrumors regular
May 20, 2010
Navi Mumbai
Custom config is finally available in India. MBP 13 with max RAM = 32GB and 16" max RAM = 64GB. Wondering if 128GB with ARM will arrive next year or not.

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
My next mbp will be the 16' one.
But, do we have any estimations about when it will be on the market?
2020 goes to its end, so can we assume it will hit the market on 2021 or later on 2022?

But still I am a little bit concern to buy the 1st generation of apple silicon mbp...
but on the other hand, lets see what apple has done.

Rumors/leaks/reasonable predictions put the Apple Silicon MBP 16" coming mid to end of 2021. But there's no real way to know for certain just yet.

Reactions: cool11

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Rumors/leaks/reasonable predictions put the Apple Silicon MBP 16" coming mid to end of 2021. But there's no real way to know for certain just yet.

Yeah. I agree. That's why if they release a 14inch this year I'm thinking to grab it and sell it when the 16 comes out as my 2013 is starting to get long in the tooth and I'm not sure another year with it is worth it productivity wise.

There's no way I'm paying full price for an Intel machine at this point. If it's only a 13 inch I'm really going to have to think long and hard.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I currently have a 16" base model, and it's just insane how bad the UHD 630 graphics is. I can count more issues with this iGPU than anything else on the laptop.

I don't mind ARM at all as long Rosetta works for the business apps

Reactions: cool11

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Out of interest, what is wrong? And I don't doubt that you are right, but how do you know it's the iGPU not the dGPU?

Whenever I use the iGPU on heavy images pages or something anything other than 1080p it becomes a utter stuttering mess, whenever I wanna watch 4K on Chrome and browse on the side without any external monitor (because it would obviously kick in my dGPU) it starts to become a stuttering mess.

I love my 16" but the iGPU sometimes stuttering everything drives me nuts

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
I guess we might have a clearer idea of what's going to happen in the next couple of weeks with the iPhone event coming up. If there's ARM Macs ready we should see them there and if not, presumably we'll get some spec bumps via press release before the event?

MarkAtl

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2019
Microcenter is selling the $1799 13” model for $220 off. Even cheaper than the Apple refurb site or B&H.

starchild237

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2020
Hey all, I've been trying to furiously research the MBP 16" 2019 in the last week to try and decide if I should pull the trigger on one before the education discount ends. It's a tough decision since it seems like there are a number of things on the horizon, but of course no one knows the exact timeline.

By now, I think it's fair to say that ARM and mini-LED are not coming in 2020. They would likely come together in the 2021 generation, my guess is Q4 2021.

Do you think it would be unusual not to have a true refresh until then? Is there a precedent for that in the MBP's history? Any kind of spec bump would not be very significant at all, Intel 11th gen and a 1080p camera seem the most likely if there is anything coming anytime soon. Nothing else would change very significantly, it'd be hard to call it a true refresh. What do ya'll think?

Last edited:

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Yep, @ctjack gets it. Apple are the kings of drip feeding their updates. iPhone is unusual in that apple tends to update them all at once, although with the SE even that has started to break down of late.

In answer to the other question, yes historically it would be very unusual or even unprecedented to go 2 full years without a spec bump for the MacBook Pro.

For this reason I do expect a bump either at the end of this year or early next (Jan/Feb etc). A minor bump will likely be a silent refresh, coupled with the usual slight bump in graphics card options. I then expect ARM to come late next year. I do wish mini-LED would come quicker but Apple will put it in the iPad Pro long before the MacBook Pro gets it, because they love their profit margins so much.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ctjack

philip_t

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2017
Earth
For this reason I do expect a bump either at the end of this year or early next (Jan/Feb etc). A minor bump will likely be a silent refresh, coupled with the usual slight bump in graphics card options.
I have heard from more than one source that there is a bumped 16" in the pipeline, but the industry commentators seem silent. Back in July the IT Media seemed certain of it, now not so much. For development reasons I would require a maxed out Intel MBP (running Windows, Linux in addition to MacOS). Reluctant to buy now MacRumors says don't, but running out of faith in Apple - has the relationship with Intel soured so much?
I can live without MiniLEDs which I suspect Apple will save until the Apple Silicon /MBPs anyway - LEDs will likely use more power so the ARM savings can counter this? However, I would like to have the best Intel on board and 16" is already a generation behind. Is the delay down to no Tiger Lake H or is Apple simply focusing on the switch to its own silicon? If it is the latter, then I would like to see some hefty discounts on the current 16"s.

chelsel

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
I am still using a Mid 2015 Retina MBP 16GB and it's starting to show signs of age (crackly speakers, fan constantly running). I'm a coder and don't really do games or intense video editing. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the MBP 16 with maybe 32GB and 1TB but may just stick with 16GB because of the massive discounts on some sites. Thoughts?

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
All trim levels of the 16-inch and 8th Gen 13-inch are now shipping between October 27 and November 3, and almost all of the Apple Stores near me do not show any of the standard configs of either as being in stock (whereas many show the 10th gen MBP-13 and MBAs as in stock.) I'm curious if this has any significance beyond just being an availability shortage.

I am still using a Mid 2015 Retina MBP 16GB and it's starting to show signs of age (crackly speakers, fan constantly running). I'm a coder and don't really do games or intense video editing. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the MBP 16 with maybe 32GB and 1TB but may just stick with 16GB because of the massive discounts on some sites. Thoughts?

Are the fans on your current 15-inch running because of the apps you are currently using? How significant is your RAM compression during your normal work routine? How often, if at all, do you use the MBP with external displays?

EventsLooped

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2020
Bangkok, Thailand
@ght56 Very interesting observation! Could this mean, that the entry level MBP 16s will be the ones updated with ARM chips?
Personally, I didn't think MBPs will get the ARM chips V1. My money is on MBA getting the Apple Silicon first.

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
@ght56 Very interesting observation! Could this mean, that the entry level MBP 16s will be the ones updated with ARM chips?
Personally, I didn't think MBPs will get the ARM chips V1. My money is on MBA getting the Apple Silicon first.

My inclination is that we might be in for a 10th gen Intel update to the 16-inch, but you never know!

Reactions: EventsLooped

Joshel

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2020
My inclination is that we might be in for a 10th gen Intel update to the 16-inch, but you never know!
Yeah, it's likely to be the 10th gen Intel update for MBPs, but I think there also will be a more expensive model with the ARM chip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.