Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
It is unlikely there will be a separate T3 chip, the functionality from the T2 will move to the Apple silicon. More functionality may be added but not in the form of a separate chip.

m7ammed

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Saudi Arabia
I really want to replace my iMac Late '15 with a new MBP 16", just need some hint on when its going to be replaced. The Mac Rumors Buyers guide says don't buy so I'm holding out.

felix1904

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2019
Me too, my late 2013 MBP 15 is getting slower and hotter, if there is any rumor related to the new MBP16, please keep us notified.

Reactions: cool11

ilostmynick

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2020
MacBook Pro 16, purchase page at apple.com disappeared in some countries (for example at apple.com/es uk ru nl and some others)... update is coming?

Attachments

• 1598421411883.png
    1598421411883.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Reactions: nameste

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
MacBook Pro 16, purchase page at apple.com disappeared in some countries (for example at apple.com/es uk ru nl and some others)... update is coming?

I thought and hoped you were onto something then as I’m also waiting for a refresh. But the same model 16 inch is still available to purchase directly on the Apple Store app unfortunately

Reactions: Altherekho

rm2092

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2008
Screw it I have been wanting a new computer so I picked up the 16" from Bestbuy with there 300 off and I'm sure the new models will cost a lot more and who knows what bugs the new model will have ????

Reactions: tonypg

Corncab44

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2020
Screw it I have been wanting a new computer so I picked up the 16" from Bestbuy with there 300 off and I'm sure the new models will cost a lot more and who knows what bugs the new model will have ????
The new model would cost the same as the old model probably (on apple.com) and may have fewer bugs since it'll still be Intel. I doubt it will come out this soon but I'll order it when it does in the next few months.

Quackington

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
So, yesterday my space grey 13" MB Pro 2020 model arrived. I went from an 11" i7 MBA from 2011 with 4GB ram to this new MBP 13" i7 with 32GB ram.

I've got to say, I'm getting used to it slowly:

- dimensions-wise, this 13" is a bit deeper than the 11" Air, so feels a bit bigger
- my old MBA is silver, this space grey is a bit of a fingerprint magnet
- although this is the 'magic keyboard' model, I've got to say that I prefer the deeper travel of my MBA. It'd be nice if the key travel was maybe one more millimetre deeper
- does

My MBA lasted 9 years, so I'm hoping this MBP will last a good while, as I don't plan to upgrade again any time soon. Prior to my MBA, I had a PowerBook 12" for 7 years. The MBA isn't dead yet, but chugs a lot.

Finally a few things on sleep mode, has the sleep mode option disappeared and replaced with 'put hard drive to sleep where possible'? I'm sure there used to be an option ion the energy saver section of the settings app where we could say 'put it to sleep after 5 mins'. I know there's a display 'off' feature after N minutes, but I could've sworn there was a separate sleep option too. The other thing about sleep mode: how long am I supposed to hold the touch ID button to enable sleep? I googled it and held it yesterday, but the whole machine just switched off.

Thanks.

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
What are you looking for?

From the Software perspective I think they have been quite clear and demonstrated the technologies at WWDC. Then it is up to the developers.

From the hardware perspective Apple generally do not pre-announce, so why would they now. They do not want to spoil the big reveal.

Industrial Tycoon

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2019
From the Software perspective I think they have been quite clear and demonstrated the technologies at WWDC. Then it is up to the developers.

It'd be nice for them to say "Buy an Intel Mac in 2020 and get software updates until 202X" rather than "software updates for Years" people are giving their best guess but it's not the same as hearing it from Apple themselves.

My own use pattern is different to most people, I tend to get a few more years out of my mac than other people and I'd like to know what I'm getting when I put my money down.

I'm not saying they're obligated to do anything, nor am I comparing them to anyone else, I'm just saying a little bit more info on what can be expected if you buy a Mac with an Intel Processor in 2020.

I don't think that's unreasonable!

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
I guess historically they have supported computers with new versions of the OS until they are ”vintage”, i.e. about five years. I would assume we could expect the same thing here from Apple.

They have obviously be running the OS on multiple architectures for some time. So continuing like that is probably no great effort.

I think the problem will be more with 3rd party developers, who may drop support for Intel faster than Apple, but that is out of Apples control.

One reason for cutting support early would be if Apple SoC will provide new hardware support that is not available on Intel. Lack of hardware support could lead to OS features missing on Intel version of OS and maybe to dropping Intel systems earlier.

But to be clear, for me my MBP is a business expense so I typically only use a computer for 3 years as my primary system, then it becomes a backup And use for beta testing for another three years.

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Today I gave away my 16 inch (2.3/32/1tb) to another employee who required a new computer immediately and migrated over to a spare 2019 iMac (6 core/16/1tb ssd/560x). Im not traveling right now and i have an 2018 ipp with magic keyboard.

I don’t really “need” a laptop until the late winter / early spring. Will be interesting to see what I can hold out for. I’d really like an AS laptop, the ability to run iOS and iPadOS apps really appeals to me.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I don’t really “need” a laptop until the late winter / early spring. Will be interesting to see what I can hold out for. I’d really like an AS laptop, the ability to run iOS and iPadOS apps really appeals to me.

I'll put money on you being able to get an AS lap top by year's end or early 21, but it won't be a 16inch comp. That's a good 8 months off at the earliest I reckon.

It's even looking likely that there won't be a refresh of 16 inch machines this year. And even if there is, it will be insignificant at best... IMO.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.
I'll put money on you being able to get an AS lap top by year's end or early 21, but it won't be a 16inch comp. That's a good 8 months off at the earliest I reckon.

It's even looking likely that there won't be a refresh of 16 inch machines this year. And even if there is, it will be insignificant at best... IMO.
Pretty surprising that the MBP 16 will be almost a year old with no refresh.

Industrial Tycoon

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2019
At this point, if the mac that they put out in the next refresh doesn't represent more than a processor update, I think I'm going to go to a Windows machine. Sorry, don't hate me, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.