Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appledoesnotlisten

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2017
If 10th gen CPUs were coming, I'd imagine they would have arrived alongside the 5600M GPU option. Unsurprising if Apple didn't consider it worth it this go around as they're very minor upgrades over 9th gen, and it's mostly though higher clock ceilings, which the 16" would be very hard pressed to sustain for very long. I'm thinking if the 2019 model isn't the end of the line for Intel, the final one will have Tiger Lake, which is unlikely to be logistically possible before early-mid next year (H chips are usually later in the release cycle than U chips, and Tiger Lake will be the first generation of H chips built on 10nm).
It's difficult to assume that Apple is not going to provide a fix for the GPU heat issue later this year.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
so basically if I want an ARM 16 then I have to wait for pretty much 12-15months.
Hopefully my 2013 MBP can keep chugging along. My workflow is definitely starting to become noticeably slower, but I'm not willing to buy now due financial uncertainty over the next 6-9months and the fact that I don't need an intel machine. Something that runs quieter and cooler would be absolutely two of my biggest purchasing factors.

Reactions: cool11

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
My next machine will be possibly an ARM 16' mbp.
I hope my late 2013 mbp 15', to serve me well, until this one come out on the market.

Reactions: smoking monkey

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
If 10th gen CPUs were coming, I'd imagine they would have arrived alongside the 5600M GPU option. Unsurprising if Apple didn't consider it worth it this go around as they're very minor upgrades over 9th gen, and it's mostly though higher clock ceilings, which the 16" would be very hard pressed to sustain for very long. I'm thinking if the 2019 model isn't the end of the line for Intel, the final one will have Tiger Lake, which is unlikely to be logistically possible before early-mid next year (H chips are usually later in the release cycle than U chips, and Tiger Lake will be the first generation of H chips built on 10nm).
Well Tiger Lake is Mobile Only- and the non H chips for sure are supposedly launching imminently. So might we not see Tiger Lake H by Fall? Intel may be willing to take the yield hit because of Apple's shift to Arm.

zehcnassurfero

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2019
Is there any MBP going to release this year? You said about an ARM MBP 13” late this year, but with the same design I think

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Based on the kit....i can say the performance per watt is amazing....and that is not on 5nm cpu/igpu (first real mac in the fall will come with 5nm)
For imacs, is also great, but for the laptops....is amazing...i bet Apple, will not go for 1 full direction but for an overall great device....so instead of very powerful macbook with 4-5 hours battery life, i bet apple will balance power with battery and they will delivery better cpu performance than todays 10nm/14nm Intel cpu but with around 10-11 hours battery life and less heat.....Under load the intel cpu today goes even up to 97-99C, under Apple silicone barely reach 75C
PS: remember, today, you dont get 10 hours battery life under heavy load....just under light usage, so im expecting an macbook air 13" to get around 13-14 hours light usage battery, and the 16" mbp has 2 options
1) Keeping the same battery life by lowering the watt from 99 down to around 70 and make it lighter (this way the battery life will be around the same as it is now, but with less heat and fan noise)
2) Keeping the battery at 99, the same weight but with around 10 hours battery life under heavy load, and around 17-18 hours of light usage

Birkan

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
Germany
Is there chrome on arm yet ?
There are official arm64 builds of Chromium based Microsoft Edge for Windows on Arm and arm64 builds of Chromium released in collaboration by ARM. People at Google are also working on getting Chromium working for 'mac/arm64' by doing some pull requests on third party plugins such as AV1 decoder Dav1d. We'll most likely have to wait until Apple releases final macOS 11.0 SDK for companies to compile against such SDK so they can release a final stable version. Maybe they might do a Canary/Dev/Beta channel release with beta macOS 11.0 SDKs before the final release. Firefox also already has 'Windows ARM64/AArch64' build on their webpage so they probably will be ready for a final version by the time arm64-based Macs launch.

Drecca

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
so do we still think tiger lake H won't be released this year? Trying to figure out if I get the 16 now, or wait a bit more. Broken touch bar on my current 15 is kind of annoying. Not urgent annoying, just annoying.

Appledoesnotlisten

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2017
so do we still think tiger lake H won't be released this year? Trying to figure out if I get the 16 now, or wait a bit more. Broken touch bar on my current 15 is kind of annoying. Not urgent annoying, just annoying.
I strongly believe in at least a minor refresh later this year. I am waiting for leaks. The 16" GPU is ****ed up and Apple is definitely aware of it. I would even bet $ that there will be a late 2020 refresh.

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
I am not so sure. I think the slow response on the issues we are seeing on the 16” Is that either it works as designed (as seen from Apples perspective) and / or Apple is focusing their development resources on enabling the new Arm platform.

rootbear

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
Bowie, MD
I need to replace my current aging 2014 Macbook Pro, but I've been holding off, hoping for an upgrade. I was just looking on Amazon at the 16" MBP and noticed this:

New Apple MacBook Pro (16-Inch, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, 2.6GHz Intel Core i7) - Silver

[...]

Arrives: Tuesday, July 28 Details
Fastest delivery: Friday, July 24
Order within 19 hrs and 42 mins Details
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

The "Arrives" date is the 28th, next week, but I can get one on Friday the 24th? That seems odd. I don't suppose this is an accidental leak on Amazon's part, suggesting updates are coming next week.

There are no shipping delays on Apple's website, suggesting they aren't about to run out of the current model, so this is probably just an Amazon glitch. But just in case, I'm waiting until next week to pull the trigger.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I need to replace my current aging 2014 Macbook Pro, but I've been holding off, hoping for an upgrade. I was just looking on Amazon at the 16" MBP and noticed this:

New Apple MacBook Pro (16-Inch, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, 2.6GHz Intel Core i7) - Silver

[...]

The "Arrives" date is the 28th, next week, but I can get one on Friday the 24th? That seems odd. I don't suppose this is an accidental leak on Amazon's part, suggesting updates are coming next week.

There are no shipping delays on Apple's website, suggesting they aren't about to run out of the current model, so this is probably just an Amazon glitch. But just in case, I'm waiting until next week to pull the trigger.
I expect that's the difference between standard free delivery and paying extra for express delivery?

Reactions: AFPBoy

rootbear

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
Bowie, MD
I expect that's the difference between standard free delivery and paying extra for express delivery?

You're probably correct. I noticed I wasn't logged in to amazon.com and when I log in, I see I can get free delivery on that item on Thursday (I have Prime). I think I'll still wait until next week, though...

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
How nervous are people going to be about buying a first-gen ARM Macbook? This feels very different to me from past transitions given Apple’s experience with ARM on the iPhone & Mobile, so I’m really not sure if would put me off buying one.

If they release a new 12-14” MacBook running ARM, with things like ProMotion screen & FaceID, then I think it would be a day one purchase for me.

Reactions: smoking monkey

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
How nervous are people going to be about buying a first-gen ARM Macbook? This feels very different to me from past transitions given Apple’s experience with ARM on the iPhone & Mobile, so I’m really not sure if would put me off buying one.

If they release a new 12-14” MacBook running ARM, with things like ProMotion screen & FaceID, then I think it would be a day one purchase for me.

If it has all those things you mention then it's a pretty significant upgrade along with possible better battery, no fan and far cooler running speeds.

It's probably worth the risk of upgrading. I'm sure there will be some hiccups, just what they are nobody knows. I'm in the market for a 16 so I can sit back and wait, but I'll get it the first day it's released. quieter and cooler is massive in my books.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Whistler, BC

[...]

seens possible to me especially given Best Buy has been sold out and many others of the Curren model at a high discount!

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
No fans inside arm based macbooks?

I’m sure some of them will have fans (which could be interesting to see what they can really get out of their chips when pushed and cooled with fans), but given the performance they’ve been able to get out of their chips to date (see the iPad Pro), its an assumption a lot of people have been making. Its not unreasonable to make that assumption - particularly for a new ultra book or Air?

Short answer.... nobody knows.

Reactions: cool11

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
To really prove ARM is the right choice, I envisage Apple using fans to make a MacBook Pro which overwhelmingly beats Intel CPU’s with lower fan noise/heat rather than just beats Intel with no fan noise.

But a no fan model as an Air definitely is plausible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.