Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I agree with ARM chips starting as coprocessors first. The same way the T2 chip handles certain very specific tasks, i think that's how ARM will come to Macs first. ARM chips might replace the T2 chip or might work in tandem with the Intel CPUs to handle low power/MacOS specific tasks and discretely (or simultaneously) switch and use the Intel CPU for third party applications, similarly to how Iris and the AMD graphics cards tag in and out to handle the different levels of graphics tasks. I could see that being the method they do for a couple years to give third party developers time to start coding their apps for ARM and then start giving more and more responsibilities to the ARM chip until eventually Macs with ARM chips as the sole CPU are ready and can run everything normally the way x86 chips do now.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
The problem is that developers are lazy... Catalyst will make it REALLY easy to port iPad apps to ARM Macs, and any app where there's an Intel Mac version based on clunky old code and a non feature-complete iPad version will get the iPad version! I'm looking at you, Adobe and Microsoft!

Not a problem for a MacBook Air, or an ARM-coprocessed Mac, but do you really want to run Lightroom CC (ther cloud and mobile-centric version)instead of Lightroom Classic (Lightroom as we know it) on a Mac Pro?

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
The problem is that developers are lazy... Catalyst will make it REALLY easy to port iPad apps to ARM Macs, and any app where there's an Intel Mac version based on clunky old code and a non feature-complete iPad version will get the iPad version! I'm looking at you, Adobe and Microsoft!

Not a problem for a MacBook Air, or an ARM-coprocessed Mac, but do you really want to run Lightroom CC (ther cloud and mobile-centric version)instead of Lightroom Classic (Lightroom as we know it) on a Mac Pro?

It's not so much that developers are lazy - as it is the cost of labor. Management dictates how things are done.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The problem is that developers are lazy.
Really - programmers are lazy and not wanting to work? Seems like your damning an industry with such broad strokes. I work in the IT industry and I know for a fact that developers are (by and large) not lazy. Perhaps there's other factors you're unaware of that are the cause and not because developers are lazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 09872738

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There's some YTers I just don't want to listen too because they're way too biased. Rossman and iJustine come to mind. Both are interested in pushing the anti-apple and pro-apple agenda respectively. I had seen some of this video yesterday and I couldn't watch it simply because these folks hated apple, and anything they say is going to be colored by that bias.

At least Linus of Linus tech tips, begrudgingly gives apple credit when credit is due.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
The irony is at this point, USB C has gained enough traction that if they'd waited until now to go all in it probably wouldn't have caused as much of a stir... the 2016 was at least 2-3 years too soon to do it, USB C was still a very early tech with only a few, expensive things available for it.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Really, programmers are lazy and not wanting to work? Seems like your damning an industry with such broad strokes. I work in the IT industry and I know for a fact that developers are by and large no lazy. Perhaps there's other factors you're unaware of that are the cause and not because developers are lazy.

A computer science degree is notwhat you major in if you are lazy.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
There's some YTers I just don't want to listen too because they're way too biased. Rossman and iJustine come to mind. Both are interested in pushing the anti-apple and pro-apple agenda respectively. I had seen some of this video yesterday and I couldn't watch it simply because these folks hated apple, and anything they say is going to be colored by that bias.

At least Linus of Linus tech tips, begrudgingly gives apple credit when credit is due.
I have watched a tonne load of 16 inch MacBook Pro reviews. The only one I have yet to watch is iJustine. Its like I already know what its about from seeing the thumbnail. Yet, YouTube keeps pushing it in the feed. I even watched a regular everyday user unbox their 16 inch instead of iJustine, because I knew it would be a real world review with some actual substance.

Reactions: maflynn

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I have watched a tonne load of 16 inch MacBook Pro reviews. The only one I have yet to watch is iJustine. Its like I already know what its about from seeing the thumbnail. Yet, YouTube keeps pushing it in the feed. I even watched a regular everyday user unbox their 16 inch instead of iJustine, because I knew it would be a real world review with some actual substance.

iJustines Macbook Pro 16 and Airpods Pro first look were better than both SuperSaf's and MKBHD's. I am not even a fan of hers and probably the first time I have seen her videos (only because Apple had chosen these guys as the launch previewers of the products this time around). I wonder if she gets unfair criticism for being a blonde woman as compared to others.

i. She was the only one to properly test the noise cancellation in various environments, the others didn't bother
ii. She highlighted to me the height/width of the MacBook Pro 16" has changed, prior to this (before tech specs came out) I assumed only the thickness changed with the screen size increase achieved solely by bezel thinning. Infact at first I thought she may have been mistaken as no one else seemed to have mentioned it!

Reactions: Falhófnir

cram501

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2016
Ashburn, VA

I'm not sure how being lazy comes into it. Generally on an architecture change, changes like that depend on whether the market is still worth the investment. Simple applications will probably require changes above and beyond a recompile. For any complicated application, there may be some optimizations that are architecture specific. New optimizations may be necessary for a change in processors and instruction sets (not to mention that these new bottle necks need to be found and tested).

This all costs money and may not be worth the effort.

If Apple moves to ARM, they will have given up on the Macbook Pro (at least for my use).

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I'm not sure how being lazy comes into it. Generally on an architecture change, changes like that depend on whether the market is still worth the investment. Simple applications will probably require changes above and beyond a recompile. For any complicated application, there may be some optimizations that are architecture specific. New optimizations may be necessary for a change in processors and instruction sets (not to mention that these new bottle necks need to be found and tested).

This all costs money and may not be worth the effort.

If Apple moves to ARM, they will have given up on the Macbook Pro (at least for my use).

I think that the vast majority of people don't understand what a developer does and where their time goes along with how decisions are made at what goes implemented, considered, or maintained.

soiramk

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2008
Greece
There are already posts at old(?) threads of 2018 MacBook Pros that the 'crackling speakers' issue has not been yet resolved...
Has anyone seen a review mentioning this issue?

Last edited:
Reactions: g75d3

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
There are already posts at old(?) threads of 2018 MacBook Pros that the 'crackling speakers' issue has no been yet resolved...
Has anyone seen a review mentioning this issue?

Yes. It was posted in one of these threads. I tried it out on my 2014 MacBook Pro and I don't see the same behavior. So it may be a real problem.

Reactions: soiramk

ryanide

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
It would be nice if apple replaced the touchpad with an iPad type display that could use the Apple Pencil as input. This would be great for retouching (PS). The ASUS machine with a full width second display is very cool for video editors to have a second screen just for the timeline. The trackpad is beginning to feel very old school.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
Maybe I should have said Adobe/ Microsoft management is lazy - but I'm 1000% sure ARM Macs will get iPad versions of apps from those two companies and others. Adobe is already trying (aggressively) to move users from their highly functional Lightroom Classic to a much less functional cloud-centric version based on mobile (read:iPad) code...

Microsoft couldn't even be bothered to get Office working correctly at release on the Surface Pro X - their own hardware running their own OS. Office is running in slow emulation of a 32-bit Intel processor on the SP X. They have a stable (if feature-incomplete) version of Office on the iPad. I'm quite sure it'll be a Catalysted version of iPad Office, not full desktop Office, that reaches any ARM Macs - especially given MS's record with Mac ports.

Reactions: cool11

Pro7913

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2019
Maybe I should have said Adobe/ Microsoft management is lazy - but I'm 1000% sure ARM Macs will get iPad versions of apps from those two companies and others. Adobe is already trying (aggressively) to move users from their highly functional Lightroom Classic to a much less functional cloud-centric version based on mobile (read:iPad) code...

Microsoft couldn't even be bothered to get Office working correctly at release on the Surface Pro X - their own hardware running their own OS. Office is running in slow emulation of a 32-bit Intel processor on the SP X. They have a stable (if feature-incomplete) version of Office on the iPad. I'm quite sure it'll be a Catalysted version of iPad Office, not full desktop Office, that reaches any ARM Macs - especially given MS's record with Mac ports.

So their Office app still doesnt support ARM?

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
Maybe it's just me but I can't allow myself to buy any 2019 Mac. I've been holding out since 2013 on my 13" MBP, so having a brand spankin' new 2020 Apple 13" laptop is going to take the cake every time I look at "About This Mac" and see that golden TWENTY TWENTY. This don't come often people.

xrussx

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2010
If you wait --- won't you always be waiting for something. A note about WIFI 6, I know it brings a new channel and promises faster speeds but even with AC I could never get what they promised.

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
If you wait --- won't you always be waiting for something. A note about WIFI 6, I know it brings a new channel and promises faster speeds but even with AC I could never get what they promised.
Uhh no, you wait for the right time, and then you buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.