Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LaddieMint

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2023
Resetting location and privacy is super duper annoying so I fiddled for a bit. Adding and removing a city on the iPhone help bring the list back, but what ultimately worked for me is just turning off location services on the iPhone and turning it back on. The current location option reappeared on the Watch and would let me set it as a default again. It appears to be behaving normally now. I can’t imagine what a nightmare it must be for Apple’s developers to handle all of the setting across integrations. They’ve been pretty responsive with updates, but maybe a little too responsive.

Reactions: TQT and cwanja

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Seems like the issue is specific to using ‘current location’. If you add another location, change the Watch setting to use that manually added city, complication updates fine. Could be a workaround, just add your current city. Definitely not working as intended though.

Guessing 10.0.2 incoming soon.

That doesn't work either. For a while, but even manually added cities eventually stop updating the complication. It'a a bug.

Reactions: Spenny25

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I found that if you go into the Apple Watch app on your phone, Mobile Service the list of Apps where you want data to Sync then refreshes and the weather app on my watch was then able to pull data through.

ignore the above, must have been a coincidence as the problem has returned.

Last edited:

Grobaouche

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2022
Hello Guys, same problem here with an Apple Watch Ultra and Watch OS 10.0.1.

I played with the Weather app on the watch and the phone by adding and deleting some cities, deactivated and reactivated the background updates for weather app on the watch, restarted the watch…
Suddenly today all seems to work again…
Maybe it was a problem on Apple side, servers or anything else ?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Hello Guys, same problem here with an Apple Watch Ultra and Watch OS 10.0.1.

I played with the Weather app on the watch and the phone by adding and deleting some cities, deactivated and reactivated the background updates for weather app on the watch, restarted the watch…
Suddenly today all seems to work again…
Maybe it was a problem on Apple side, servers or anything else ?

The complications come and go. There ia no pattern. It is a bug.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The complications come and go. There ia no pattern. It is a bug.
I had this problem on my Series 7 after I updated it to watchOS 10. I had to delete the watch faces and recreate them to make the complications on some of them come back. Was a big pain.

So far, no similar issues on my new Ultra 2, but I set it up as a new watch, not restored from any old backups or transfers from another watch.

paulg1981

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2014
Just wanted to say the fix cwanja posted works for me as well. 12+ hours and no blank weather on my aw ultra. Thank you!

Reactions: cwanja

Rich74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
Hmm. I've just gone into the weather app on my iPhone and my current location has -.- next to it. So maybe it isn't specifically a watch problem?

Grobaouche

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2022
The weather app has always be a little bit buggy, maybe the switch to iOS 17 and other updates are shaking a bit.
otherwise seems that the reset posted by Cwanja is working for some

IMG_0089.jpeg

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
So this reset fix seems to work for some, i also think it will help with battery life issues, i am seeing that the app loads and even if the complications is not open, the poor synch and location service glitch is murdering battery life. I setup a new iphone 15 pro max and the watch as new, yes the 15pro max has heat gate, however the watch is not near as bad as most as stated half day only lost 15% on a 41mm series 8

JUMA55

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
Same here. I went from a 7 to a 9. Weather just has the two lines. The list just shows NY and Cupertino.

Glad I’m not the only one!
Add a city to the Weather app on your iPhone. Give it a second. Go to your Watch and look at the cities on your Weather app. It should now show your cities from your iPhone. Then you can delete the added city from your iPhone.

To fix the complication issue, go into the Watch app on your iPhone change the Default City from "Current location" to the actual city you are in.

That should fix both problems until Apple issues a fix. if you reboot the Watch, you have to go through the step in the first paragraph again.

sumarlidason

macrumors member
May 21, 2021
I want to note that before the reset weather was set to “always” and after was set to “while using” suggesting that maybe “always” is no longer a valid setting - and it wasn’t migrated properly during a past iOS update.

Just an idea.

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
I want to note that before the reset weather was set to “always” and after was set to “while using” suggesting that maybe “always” is no longer a valid setting - and it wasn’t migrated properly during a past iOS update.

Just an idea.
Always is still valid, the toggle is still good for the weather alerts from the main app, what it seems like is some sort of glitch in the entire privacy panel is not checking some box on the watch each and every time it asks hey where are we in the world. Then the watch goes into a constant json call to the former dark sky server. I used to use the dark sky api, so yeah i can see this happening very easy. Since the weather app is dark sky with a new skin, this has been a sin of dark sky since the beginning. So yeah apple is going to need to deep dive on this, and i hope they send the B squad and not the D squad of interns after this bug

spinkick

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
Same issue on ultra watch 2. The location reset attempt appears to work but then eventually the bug returns. Looks like we will have to wait for a fix. I even tried setting up the watch from scratch without using a backup and still had the issue.

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
Seems like the issue is specific to using ‘current location’. If you add another location, change the Watch setting to use that manually added city, complication updates fine. Could be a workaround, just add your current city. Definitely not working as intended though.

Guessing 10.0.2 incoming soon.
Weather is now working for me on AW 9 - I changed the allow location access to Always on then added another city on watch then changed the always on back to when using the app and presto it is working now showing all the cities in weather on my iphone

Reactions: cwanja

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Nothing in this thread is a proper, long-term fix. I've tried everything but after a few hours, the weather just blanks again. It's an obvious bug that's been introduced in watchOS 10 that needs to be fixed.

It's one of those things which always worked before and now doesn't work properly. I'm sure that if enough people report it (you are all reporting it, right?), then it'll get sorted. It's just frustrating in the meantime.

Mrrikki

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Weather is now working for me on AW 9 - I changed the allow location access to Always on then added another city on watch then changed the always on back to when using the app and presto it is working now showing all the cities in weather on my iphone

This worked on my series 9 for a bit but then went back to not working.

dsabathi

macrumors member
May 8, 2019
Same here on my UW2. What ever I tried (add / remove locations, change location permission, create a new watch face, reset location settings) stops working sooner or later.
Now I have the status that the temperature only updates when I tap on the compilation.
This brings up the app, and when I close it I see the new value on the watch face.
It never updates on its own.. Quite annoying..

Reactions: neilrajan1794

johnboy14

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
Having the issue and came here to look for others. Tried a few of the tricks like resetting location and none of them are “permanent” for me.

AW Ultra original

Reactions: neilrajan1794

Grobaouche

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2022
I paired my new iPhone 15 Pro with my Apple Watch Ultra 1, and even restored completely my ultra.
For 1-2 days I was having the "--" and then suddenly it came back like normal, no idea why.

As mentioned by others I just tried to add more locations in my weather app, then suppressed some others, open it and so on, and after 2 days it went back ok...

BUT if I restart my watch sometimes it goes back to the "--"...

SO I guess this is an actual bug, and it should be fixed in the coming releases !

Please submit your feedbacks here : https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Reactions: Feek and Mrrikki
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.