Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
For me on S8, the temperature works, but the rain/conditions is often blank, then it will appear, then will be blank again since WatchOS 10, the minor update didnt do anything.

However, I have another issue since WatchOS 10, its the sunrise/sunset display being blank 90% of the time.

Has anyone had that happen?

audiomixer

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2007
Idaho
Seems if i use under default city the “Current Location” it will go blank. If i choose an actual place i put in on the weather phone app, it stays working.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I just turned off location services for everything on my phone, and re-enabled it a minute later. Since then, weather on watch has been fine.

Reactions: Spenny25

Mrrikki

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
I just turned off location services for everything on my phone, and re-enabled it a minute later. Since then, weather on watch has been fine.

So has mine. All other “fixes” have failed after a few hours for me, so will be interesting to see if that happens again….

Reactions: MrGimper

CharlesShaw

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2015
However, I have another issue since WatchOS 10, its the sunrise/sunset display being blank 90% of the time.

Has anyone had that happen?
Yes, but rbart’s solution (quoted below) fixed my sunrise/sunset complication.
You can try to reset all of your location settings to the factory default on your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [device], tap Reset, then tap Reset Location & Privacy.
When your location and privacy settings are reset, apps will stop using your location until you grant them permission.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Yes, but rbart’s solution (quoted below) fixed my sunrise/sunset complication.
interesting, because when i click the sunrise/sunset complication and it brings up the world clock, the information is displayed there. same on the iPhone.

So it's not like its not fetching the information.

Edit: I just rebooted the watch, and the sunset/sunrise displayed for about 10 seconds, and disappeared.

Last edited:

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
so many people don't read the tips ...
Tips that shouldn't be needed because ultimately, all they'll do is kick it back in manually for a few hours. This is a bug that's been introduced with watchOS 10. There should be no need to go in and start faffing with the location settings, it should simply just work. I'm sure it will again, it'll get resolved in an update.

It's not just the rain complication, it's anything to do with weather.

BLtheP

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2022
Texas
I had this issue on watchOS 10/iOS 17, but it was fully resolved with 17.0.1 and 10.0.1. Now on the new phone with 17.0.2 and weather keeps working on the watch. Weather location services on the iPhone is set to "while using". Weather on the watch didn't have any location settings that I saw I could choose from, though "mirror my iPhone" is selected.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2015
Or apple could just fix it and it works as it should…

Main thing is that all of us log the issue so they can fix it permanently.
I’m sure they will fix it eventually. I should have known the .0 version would still be buggy, so lesson learned. I’m grateful I got my complication working again by searching MR for tips from beta testers.

Reactions: Mrrikki

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
The new weather app is annoying in general. When I tap the temperature complication it takes me to a giant screen….with the temp and that’s it….you have to scroll down to get the 12 hour temps and that screen still shows the damn temp and feels like. The whol point is I KNOW THE TEMP AND WANT MORE INFO…not the same info. Too many steps now To get basic info on the watch. Changing faces used to be a 2 second thing now its a tap…hold…swipe….tap again.

Reactions: mouthster

Mrrikki

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
I’m sure they will fix it eventually. I should have known the .0 version would still be buggy, so lesson learned. I’m grateful I got my complication working again by searching MR for tips from beta testers.

Funny thing is. In beta mine worked flawlessly with my series 7 before I upgraded

CharlesShaw

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2015
interesting, because when i click the sunrise/sunset complication and it brings up the world clock, the information is displayed there. same on the iPhone.

So it's not like its not fetching the information.

Edit: I just rebooted the watch, and the sunset/sunrise displayed for about 10 seconds, and disappeared.
I was seeing the very same thing. It would display for a few seconds when rebooting. It also displayed a few seconds after deleting and reinstalling the app on the Watch (using App Store on Watch), so I had given up. But the location reset did the trick and it’s been fine for more than 24 hours. 🤞

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
I did that as well.
For me, adding a new city to the list in Weather, doing the location reset and temporarily changing the watch face did the trick. The weather complication has been working without any problems for a few days now.

Last edited:

dbernie41

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Ohio
Seems like the issue is specific to using ‘current location’. If you add another location, change the Watch setting to use that manually added city, complication updates fine. Could be a workaround, just add your current city. Definitely not working as intended though.

Guessing 10.0.2 incoming soon.
Seems to be a OS 10 issue and seems to be very intermittent. Will work for a few hours and then stop working again. This is a great workaround in the mean time.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
Tips that shouldn't be needed because ultimately, all they'll do is kick it back in manually for a few hours. This is a bug that's been introduced with watchOS 10. There should be no need to go in and start faffing with the location settings, it should simply just work. I'm sure it will again, it'll get resolved in an update.

It's not just the rain complication, it's anything to do with weather.
Do what you want, you can continue to whine or apply the tip and make your weather app work.
It's your choice.

Spenny25

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2016
UK
Sorry but is not a sure fix...i have done that and after some hours is broken again for me! :(
Agreed, I have tried the 'fixes' on both mine and my wife's watches and within a short period or if changing location it reverts back to playing up again....

Only true fix is gonna be an update from Apple

Reactions: Matthias46

zinned

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Many of you, not to say everyone, have different experiences and so do I.

One thing that I don’t think have been mentioned in this thread is a connected issue, with the compass. I don’t get a read on latitude and longitude in the compass app, it’s only “- - - -,- - - -“ there as well.

Can you get the value for latitude and longitude?

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
Many of you, not to say everyone, have different experiences and so do I.

One thing that I don’t think have been mentioned in this thread is a connected issue, with the compass. I don’t get a read on latitude and longitude in the compass app, it’s only “- - - -,- - - -“ there as well.

Can you get the value for latitude and longitude?
The compass works on my Apple Watch, I see altitude, longitude and latitude.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.