Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you like to be able to swipe left and right to switch watch faces?

• Yes. I like the way it was in WatchOS 9 and earlier (swipe left and right for watch faces).

Votes: 244 66.8%
  • No. I like the way it is in WatchOS 10 (swiping left and right has no function)

Votes: 80 21.9%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 41 11.2%

• Total voters

tomtattoo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
Berlin
I´m also happy that he swipe is back, but!: I have this 10:09 to real time problem, which was mentioned in some other thread.
How the heck is it possible to bring a well known feature back and break it?

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
Quite. Bring it back, but with a rather obvious bug - when the face is changed it always resets to 10:09pm before adjusting to the correct time!

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
I´m also happy that he swipe is back, but!: I have this 10:09 to real time problem, which was mentioned in some other thread.
How the heck is it possible to bring a well known feature back and break it?
Faces that are not in use don't update. With the press and swipe, you could see it as the widgets were no live. 10:09 is the default resting place. It takes half a second to display the time. Not a big deal.

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
Quite. Bring it back, but with a rather obvious bug - when the face is changed it always resets to 10:09pm before adjusting to the correct time!

I'm with you, but I'm thinking it could be something to do with background refresh and battery life. Whenever you long press you you have always had the 10:09 time while you edit, and the same if you long press and swipe. You just dont notice it as much. I know it wasn't there before, but by not preloading it, maybe a bit of battery life is restored?

Reactions: the future

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Faces that are not in use don't update. With the press and swipe, you could see it as the widgets were no live. 10:09 is the default resting place. It takes half a second to display the time. Not a big deal.

Yeah, I don't see this as a bug at all.

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
On my watch it can take a second. It looks amateur and didn’t happen on previous OS versions.

I’d say it’s up to each of us to decide if it’s a big deal or not.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Just updated my watch and this isn’t even working for me. Something didn’t seem right though. My watch updated to 10.2 pretty fast. I have auto updates turned off and there was no download. Went straight to install.

Edit* Never mind. Apparently it’s a setting now in “Clock”

Last edited:

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009

I doubt it’s a bug. And yes sloppy if it’s not.
The reason I say sloppy is… in the analog watch world 10:10 is the time all watches are set to for advertising. It’s been this way forever. If Apple is using that as a little Easter egg then they should have used 10:10 instead of 10:09:30.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

tomtattoo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
Berlin
After a night of bad sleep I´ve decided that I´m done with different faces. I will not participate in this sharade. Using Infograph now as my only watchface after merging two faces into one. Deleted all automations in shortcuts. It is better for my nerves. My motivation to buy a WatchX next year has decreased another 50%.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
Some guys have really huge problems ...
There's only one active watch face at the same time.
It's like widget previews, it's a way to preserve battery and CPU usage to not update continuously a huge list of watch faces.
It takes less than one second. If it's the main problem in your life, you are lucky.

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
Some guys have really huge problems ...
There's only one active watch face at the same time.
It's like widget previews, it's a way to preserve battery and CPU usage to not update continuously a huge list of watch faces.
It takes less than one second. If it's the main problem in your life, you are lucky.
It doesn’t need to be “the main problem in your life” to be annoying and amateur hour.

It was never needed to preserve battery and CPU prior to this.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
Maybe there are other constraints than before ? Or other system behavior ?
I am a developer of a watchOS app, and I have to be very careful with every feature, every animation to preserve battery and smoothness. There are a lot of constraints of so powerful devices running on very small batteries. You have to take care of everything, every marginal gain is good to take.
You can continue to complain, but what would you say if your battery life decreased ?
When you bring a new OS to the same hardware, there are more features, more consuming tasks, you have to balance these heavier features by optimizations. We can notice that watchOS10 remains very smooth on series 4.

That's life, for the moment you will have to wait up to 1s before reading hour after changing screen ...

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Interesting. Just looked at some classic high end analog watches. Some use 10:10:30 and some are using 10:08:37.

Either one does the job of clearly delineating what the different watch hands look like, the intent of the setting; actual value is meaningless.

Ctrlos

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2022
Oh Apple.

You could have done something productive with those left-and-right swipes like offered a cycle of bigger widgets or even some apps the run not-quite-full such as a stopwatch or your shopping list.

Instead you brought back the old way.

😥

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
Glad they brought it back. I use it all time and it was annoying I need to press hold and swipe, take more effort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.