Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm not sure "everything". My ipad 10.2 7th gen, doesn't do everything my m1 ipp does. Run apps, use safari to browse, emails, facebook sure.

Barring split-view and storage constraints, I've yet to have an app/use-case that doesn't work on both the $329 iPad and the $799+ iPad Pro.

That said, I find the M1 iPad Pro performs better, runs more smoothly and doesn't constantly reload compared to iPads with less RAM. Both may be able to run all the same apps, but I get less frustration with M1+16GB.

I probably would've been happy with the Air 5's performance as well but I need more storage.

Reactions: I7guy

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2016
Lawsuit is overkill, but I´m surprised the market is so big for an iPad. I´m missing these features:

- sideloading apps, because it is a tablet pc, not a phone, so I don´t see a reason why not
- if not sideloading apps, then at least less strict app admission policy - torrent apps, emulation apps etc or allow another app store
- external monitor at full res
- better multitasking with floating windows

There was just an update in WebKit code that suggests a multitasking mode, so maybe we’ll get that at WWDC.

Reactions: fromsixtozero

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I have a 2020 12.9” iPad Pro. Apple has always limited the usability of the iPad’s software, not adding features that should’ve been added long ago. There’s no more excuses. It’s 2022 and we still don’t have: proper external monitor support, proper multitasking with more windows, full pro apps (not the half assed apps we always get on the App Store and first party apps like iMovie, real apps like Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, Lightroom Classic, real Photoshop, Pixelmator Pro, Xcode, Compressor, you get the idea), a weather app, a calculator app, optimized battery charging, external camera support, proper file management (like being able to format, fix or otherwise edit external drives, transferring files at the full capable speed USB-C and Thunderbolt on newer iPads should deliver, etc) and a whole bunch of other stuff the iPad needs. I’m not asking to put macOS on the iPad, just fix the software. I got my hopes up for iPadOS 15, but that turned out to be not only a massive disappointment, I consider it to be the worst update ever. Apple has clearly said no to merging the Mac and iPad operating systems, and has always advocated for keeping the iPad and Mac separate according to how they wish it to be, and considering that and all those awful lackluster iPadOS updates, I don’t think they will ever release the iPad from its software prison. The iPad is just as expensive as a decent laptop and it’s far more powerful than most laptops in its price range. Just give us the software it deserves. I have a feeling iPadOS 16 will be even worse than 15. In that case, someone needs to file a class action lawsuit against Apple and the iPad (especially the iPad Pro) should be boycotted until Apple overhauls the software (if they ever do, which they probably never will)
You could have tried the iPad Pro endlessly at the Apple Store before purchasing. After purchasing, you could of tried it again for 2 whole weeks to see if it fits your needs. If it didn't, return it until those software features came to fruition.

I want the iPad Pro to be more "pro" as well, with real apps like Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, etc. Apple doesn't OWE that to me. I bought it for what it was able to do and advertised to do UP TO THAT DAY. Anything it gets afterwards is extra, and of course I'd like for it to gain window resizing, be more MacOS-like but I'm not owed that and I wasn't promised that. It sounds like that someone who needs to file a class action lawsuit is you, and most likely watch it fail.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
Yes. It depends on the work. For example, I administer hundreds of virtual servers and remote desktop on iPads works very well. Coupled with email, calendar and Teams, that is 99 percent of the work for me.

Ya, the problem with ipads is that 1% of of work.

The ipad pro is amazing for students - which is mostly taking notes, with some web apps when you dock it and then all the entertainment stuff. But there are those individual classes where they need some weird app for a week and it won't run it. That's 1% optionality is going to cost me a new macbook for my daughter in the fall.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Ya, the problem with ipads is that 1% of of work.

The ipad pro is amazing for students - which is mostly taking notes, with some web apps when you dock it and then all the entertainment stuff. But there are those individual classes where they need some weird app for a week and it won't run it. That's 1% optionality is going to cost me a new macbook for my daughter in the fall.
It's way more than 1%, including for students. As a university teacher last week I took the stairs instead of the elevator to watch at every floor the devices students were using. I only saw one iPad pro, everything else was MacBooks and Windows laptops. There were more glowing logo MacBooks than USB C ones. Most students take notes with keyboards, not with pencils. And some of the "weird" apps they need are full Word and Excel, not the mobile versions.

Reactions: pacalis

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
It's way more than 1%, including for students. As a university teacher last week I took the stairs instead of the elevator to watch at every floor the devices students were using. I only saw one iPad pro, everything else was MacBooks and Windows laptops. There were more glowing logo MacBooks than USB C ones. Most students take notes with keyboards, not with pencils. And some of the "weird" apps they need are full Word and Excel, not the mobile versions.
My daughter is 19 at uni and uses a macbook air, my son 24 in IT has 2 MacBook pro's, neither have iPads, daughter had one when she was too young for a iPhone. Their friends or anyone I know in that age bracket don't use iPads, all have MacBooks and a iPhone.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Then we lack the screen real estate. Free flowing windows as in MacOS will likely not work well with touch.
That's why this should be primarily a mode for an external monitor, like the original DEX was. Personally on Samsung tablets that's the only way I use Dex, never on the tablet itself. Granted it can work with trackpad and keyboard on the tablet, but it's cramped on anything under 12in. And with touch, split screen works better (but needs to be improved on iPadOS, it's much more advanced on OneUI).

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
That's why this should be primarily a mode for an external monitor, like the original DEX was. Personally on Samsung tablets that's the only way I use Dex, never on the tablet itself. Granted it can work with trackpad and keyboard on the tablet, but it's cramped on anything under 12in. And with touch, split screen works better (but needs to be improved on iPadOS, it's much more advanced on OneUI).
Right, but then it is no windowing on the iPad but on a screen attached to the iPad. Would be good with better monitor support which is lacking.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Right, but then it is no windowing on the iPad but on a screen attached to the iPad. Would be good with better monitor support which is lacking.
Just to be clear desktop mode is a necessary condition for extended monitor support on mobile platforms, so the 2 need to come together. And of course a desktop mode would need to be used in extended mode, not in mirrored mode.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
Majority of users bought iPad just for simply entertainment like watching YouTube, Netflix,Disney+,gaming,web browsing. Having more desktop options would make the iPad interface look too complicate, these majority of users would not like it.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Majority of users bought iPad just for simply entertainment like watching YouTube, Netflix,Disney+,gaming,web browsing. Having more desktop options would make the iPad interface look too complicate, these majority of users would not like it.

If they're options, they need not use them and they can stick with a simple interface. And how do you know what a majority of users bought their iPads for? There are always these broad statements made without any real data to back them up.

Reactions: Digitalguy

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
My daughter is 19 at uni and uses a macbook air, my son 24 in IT has 2 MacBook pro's, neither have iPads, daughter had one when she was too young for a iPhone. Their friends or anyone I know in that age bracket don't use iPads, all have MacBooks and a iPhone.
My daughter in her 20’s has a MacBook Pro and an iPhone. I tried to give her one of my iPads recently and she said thanks, but no thanks. In my orbit, it’s the older people who seem to enjoy iPads, whereas the younger people seem disinterested. It would be interesting to see the age-related demographics on iPad vs MacBook.

Mackilroy

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2006
My daughter in her 20’s has a MacBook Pro and an iPhone. I tried to give her one of my iPads recently and she said thanks, but no thanks. In my orbit, it’s the older people who seem to enjoy iPads, whereas the younger people seem disinterested. It would be interesting to see the age-related demographics on iPad vs MacBook.
My anecdotal experience is that iPads are very popular among musicians of all ages.

Reactions: Zensō

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
My anecdotal experience is that iPads are very popular among musicians of all ages.
Only for reading music probably. My son's best friend 25 is an amazing guitarist, does recordings and guitar tracks for people, uses a 10KAUD 16" MacBook Pro and a iMac, asked me once what I did with a iPad.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Basically, this is my experience with my three college/grad school age kids. They do all of their work on MacBooks, and take notes using conventional pencil and paper. They might type up notes on their laptops after lecture, but they don’t use an iPad for school work or note taking. I assume there are some students using iPads as complementary devices and secondary screens, but it has not been the case for my kids.

Actually, what my kids find most useful is to have a larger monitor to plug-in for multitasking on big projects. Nothing fancy. They seem to get by just fine with a $125 (21.5 in) monitor that they can plug into at the desk in their dorm room or apartment.

Last edited:

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Not disagreeing, but that hasn’t been my experience. I’m a musician and none of my musician friends use iPads (most are using Ableton, Reaper, or Pro Tools on Macs and PCs.)

I’m also a retired graphic designer and a number of my colleagues used iPads for sketching (myself included). Pretty much everyone produced their final deliverables on Adobe CC on the Mac though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.