Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
If they're options, they need not use them and they can stick with a simple interface. And how do you know what a majority of users bought their iPads for? There are always these broad statements made without any real data to back them up.

Just look at what people do with their iPads. No extra options then it is simple. Having options to turn on more options would piss off most of the normal users.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
It's way more than 1%, including for students. As a university teacher last week I took the stairs instead of the elevator to watch at every floor the devices students were using. I only saw one iPad pro, everything else was MacBooks and Windows laptops. There were more glowing logo MacBooks than USB C ones. Most students take notes with keyboards, not with pencils. And some of the "weird" apps they need are full Word and Excel, not the mobile versions.

I don't disagree on university popularity. If you have to choose between a mac and an ipad pro, a student has to choose a mac. That's is kind of my point.

This is a problem Apple needs to think about solving. The ipad pro is a way better machine for students - privileged kids that have adopted them (and teachers) swear by them and really have a huge advantage on some things. Folks really have no idea how the ipad pro is a game changer for math, chem, all the bios, phys. The handouts/homework/problem sets we used to get the kids can write directly on them as well as pdfs of content. Everything is backed up, all there in a skinny machine - its beautiful.

On word and excel, the migration to google classroom is really big and it's going to show in the coming years. Kids are learning docs, sheets on chrome books, not MS. Also, there is way more collaborative/team stuff in writing now and presentation construction - it's not mobile, it's cloud.

Again, per the thread, Apple is blowing it with an amazing offering.

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
It’s the price how can a uni student justify spending $1650AUD on a 128gb 11” iPad Pro and MGK which is the cheapest v a MacBook Air 256GB air for $300 or more less. No brainer.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Just look at what people do with their iPads. No extra options then it is simple. Having options to turn on more options would piss off most of the normal users.

Just read this forum to see what people do with their iPads. I don't believe that statement on options at all.

Mackilroy

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2006
Only for reading music probably. My son's best friend 25 is an amazing guitarist, does recordings and guitar tracks for people, uses a 10KAUD 16" MacBook Pro and a iMac, asked me once what I did with a iPad.
His age is irrelevant to making use of an iPad. A good friend of mine who also does recordings and writes music (and incidentally is in her twenties) frequently uses her iPad as part of her music production process - not just reading it, either. Is it usable for everything? No. Does it have to be? No.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
I don't disagree on university popularity. If you have to choose between a mac and an ipad pro, a student has to choose a mac. That's is kind of my point.

This is a problem Apple needs to think about solving. The ipad pro is a way better machine for students - privileged kids that have adopted them (and teachers) swear by them and really have a huge advantage on some things. Folks really have no idea how the ipad pro is a game changer for math, chem, all the bios, phys. The handouts/homework/problem sets we used to get the kids can write directly on them as well as pdfs of content. Everything is backed up, all there in a skinny machine - its beautiful.

On word and excel, the migration to google classroom is really big and it's going to show in the coming years. Kids are learning docs, sheets on chrome books, not MS. Also, there is way more collaborative/team stuff in writing now and presentation construction - it's not mobile, it's cloud.

Again, per the thread, Apple is blowing it with an amazing offering.
Guilty as charged: I am an university teacher and the iPad is amazing for teaching and very likely for studying.
The students that takes notes with pen and paper or the iPad/surface counterpart are the ones doing excellent at exams. Taking notes with a keyboard in STEM curriculums is problematic as the teaching is is mostly drawing or free hand based such as equations. The other day, I got a student complaining that all the drawing I made during on the Keynote slides was not uploaded. Probably because the student used a keyboard and could not draw as quick as I did on screen using the pencil. The student missed that the learning is best when the individual is interpreting what the teacher is saying/drawing and draw/note accordingly. I want to go as far to say that the skill to take notes (including quick sketching) is now lost and mostly because of the keyboard input.

In most cases, the students hand-ins can easily be done using Web based office package or the iWorks package. Even Mendeley reference handling in Word for iPad is now a reality. The rest is cloud based and if you need some fancy and expensive software, there are computer at the university for that. So no, the student does not need a Mac/PC but that depends on the subject area. Programming and some engineering is mostly PC (not Mac).

What Apple need to do for students in a cheap iPad 12.9 inch with a iPhone chip inside. The complete package for the 12.9 should cost 700$ (for students) including a keyboard with trackpad and a pencil.

PS. I think I will make an experiment and write a complete scientific article using an iPad and tell the story how it was. DS.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Guilty as charged: I am an university teacher and the iPad is amazing for teaching and very likely for studying.
The students that takes notes with pen and paper or the iPad/surface counterpart are the ones doing excellent at exams. Taking notes with a keyboard in STEM curriculums is problematic as the teaching is is mostly drawing or free hand based such as equations. The other day, I got a student complaining that all the drawing I made during on the Keynote slides was not uploaded. Probably because the student used a keyboard and could not draw as quick as I did on screen using the pencil. The student missed that the learning is best when the individual is interpreting what the teacher is saying/drawing and draw/note accordingly. I want to go as far to say that the skill to take notes (including quick sketching) is now lost and mostly because of the keyboard input.

In most cases, the students hand-ins can easily be done using Web based office package or the iWorks package. Even Mendeley reference handling in Word for iPad is now a reality. The rest is cloud based and if you need some fancy and expensive software, there are computer at the university for that. So no, the student does not need a Mac/PC but that depends on the subject area. Programming and some engineering is mostly PC (not Mac).

What Apple need to do for students in a cheap iPad 12.9 inch with a iPhone chip inside. The complete package for the 12.9 should cost 700$ (for students) including a keyboard with trackpad and a pencil.

PS. I think I will make an experiment and write a complete scientific article using an iPad and tell the story how it was. DS.

I think the entry level iPad is plenty for note taking and fits nicely into that budget. Of course it’s nice to have a bigger screen but the base iPad is fine for many.

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
His age is irrelevant to making use of an iPad. A good friend of mine who also does recordings and writes music (and incidentally is in her twenties) frequently uses her iPad as part of her music production process - not just reading it, either. Is it usable for everything? No. Does it have to be? No.
rare to see anyone in there 20's with a iPad Pro

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
If you need to get some real work done, buy the macbook or macbook pro, it is that simple. Apple never helps you to save money, they want you to keep spending money if you want it all.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013

The key sentence is in bold. And, the keyword in that sentence is studying.

I use the iPad (both the 11” Pro and the Mini 6) for studying purposes (in my case “researching” is probably a more apt term as I am no longer a formal student). But studying in my case (or at least how I understand it) involves extensive reading, web-based research, extensive handwriting of notes, and annotating in documents.

However, when it comes to output, be that journal articles, research monographs, position papers etc., which range anywhere between 6000 to 100,000 words (including references and bibliographies), the tool of choice is the Thinkpad. I would not dream of attempting to develop complex documents (on Word and/or LaTex) on the iPad with its related keyboard.

Reactions: sparksd

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
The key sentence is in bold. And, the keyword in that sentence is studying.

I use the iPad (both the 11” Pro and the Mini 6) for studying purposes (in my case “researching” is probably a more apt term as I am no longer a formal student). But studying in my case (or at least how I understand it) involves extensive reading, web-based research, extensive handwriting of notes, and annotating in documents.

However, when it comes to output, be that journal articles, research monographs, position papers etc., which range anywhere between 6000 to 100,000 words (including references and bibliographies), the tool of choice is the Thinkpad. I would not dream of attempting to develop complex documents (on Word and/or LaTex) on the iPad with its related keyboard.

I'd go a step further - for a complex Word document, I want a large-screen monitor that supports multiple open windows for handily accessing source material. For such cases, I often used dual monitors (I'm retired now so it's past tense).

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
I'd go a step further - for a complex Word document, I want a large-screen monitor that supports multiple open windows for handily accessing source material. For such cases, I often used dual monitors (I'm retired now so it's past tense).
Contrary to intuition, the manuscripts for scientific publications are not complex (at least not for the 100+ publication and 200+ reviews I have made). My field is biology, chemistry and nano technology. You need the ability to set the font, font size, the line spacing and the formatting of the font (bold, italics). There is absolutely no need for TOCS, indexes, figure handling etc as these does not play well with the publishes post processing. The most complex feature needed for a manuscript is the link to external reference manager and the iPad Word version can now handle that via Mendeley (!). A manuscript contain furthermore images that optionally can be pasted into the manuscript but figures are always provided as separate upload to ensure the quality when publishing. Hence advanced features are not needed and iPad versions of Word works fine (not Pages as it has no link to external reference managers as far as I know).

Data gathering and data analysis (which is not part of the report/manuscript writing step) is however a completely other story where data is gathered from numerous sources using what ever computer is needed (the OS ranges from winXP/2000/95 up to win 10). Notably Macs are never used for data gathering because instruments are controlled by winPCs. Data analysis to create the manuscript figures uses Macs, Win PC and computer cluster (Linux).

I think we must separate "can do" and convince and efficacy. I also prefer large sized screens for writing manuscripts but that is mostly related to my eye sight, need for overview and sometime to have a look at articles when writing. Has the iPad all the functions for writing a manuscript/report? Yes. Is it convenient? No, and the has to do with the screen size (assuming the use of an external keyboards and trackpad when writing).

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
I feel like the iPad should have more flexible software. Other tablets, which all of them are no where near as powerful as an iPad Pro, even the 2018 iPad Pro is far more powerful than the fastest Android tablet, have better multitasking and more robust software
This whole thread is hall-of-fame ridiculous.

Reactions: Mackilroy

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
Contrary to intuition, the manuscripts for scientific publications are not complex (at least not for the 100+ publication and 200+ reviews I have made). My field is biology, chemistry and nano technology. You need the ability to set the font, font size, the line spacing and the formatting of the font (bold, italics). There is absolutely no need for TOCS, indexes, figure handling etc as these does not play well with the publishes post processing. The most complex feature needed for a manuscript is the link to external reference manager and the iPad Word version can now handle that via Mendeley (!). A manuscript contain furthermore images that optionally can be pasted into the manuscript but figures are always provided as separate upload to ensure the quality when publishing. Hence advanced features are not needed and iPad versions of Word works fine (not Pages as it has no link to external reference managers as far as I know).

Data gathering and data analysis (which is not part of the report/manuscript writing step) is however a completely other story where data is gathered from numerous sources using what ever computer is needed (the OS ranges from winXP/2000/95 up to win 10). Notably Macs are never used for data gathering because instruments are controlled by winPCs. Data analysis to create the manuscript figures uses Macs, Win PC and computer cluster (Linux).

I think we must separate "can do" and convince and efficacy. I also prefer large sized screens for writing manuscripts but that is mostly related to my eye sight, need for overview and sometime to have a look at articles when writing. Has the iPad all the functions for writing a manuscript/report? Yes. Is it convenient? No, and the has to do with the screen size (assuming the use of an external keyboards and trackpad when writing).

Technically, one can develop a manuscript even on a mobile phone. But creating a MS for publication with, say, one of the major university presses or other academic publishers like Routledge, Palgrave, among others, requires a device other than a mobile phone or a tablet. Further, it’s not simply a matter of convenience. One can certainly make a “feature film” using a mobile phone and/or a tablet. It’s been done before (the really good ones require a lot of supporting equipment, however). But I don’t think Joseph Kosinski (or the cast or crew) would have even considered filming Top Gun: Maverick on a mobile phone and/or a tablet.

That said, it may be possible to write and publish papers in your field using simply an iPad. But then again, the kind or type of papers and/or publications that your domain may require may be different from that of other fields of academia. Let’s avoid using the cookie-cutter approach in such matters and in discussions like these.

Last edited:

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Technically, one can develop a manuscript even on a mobile phone. But creating a MS for publication with, say, one of the major university presses or other academic publishers like Routledge, Palgrave, among others, requires a device other than a mobile phone or a tablet. Further, it’s not simply a matter of convenience. One can certainly make a “feature film” using a mobile phone and/or a tablet. It’s been done before (the really good ones require a lot of supporting equipment, however). But I don’t think Joseph Kosinski (or the cast or crew) would have even considered filming Top Gun: Maverick on a mobile phone and/or a tablet.

That said, it may be possible to write and publish papers in your field using simply an iPad. But then again, the kind or type of papers and/or publications that your domain may require may be different from that of other fields of academia. Let’s avoid using the cookie-cutter approach in such matters and in discussions like these.
I think we publish differently. I publish in Elsevier, Springer Nature, PloS, Wiley, RCS and for those - no problem what so ever with an iPad. A Word file is a Word file...

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011

I have trouble writing on laptops too. I have these usb-c dongles everywhere - just add an external monitor and you would be all set.

Reactions: iPadified

Mackilroy

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2006
Your refusal to admit it has no bearing on its validity. Your anecdotal experience is no more valid than mine.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
This is one of those times when I read the first few posts and then chime-in on like Page #20. Don't judge me.

It's not up to the consumer to dictate product demands to the manufacturer. The manufacturer envisions the product, builds the product, then markets the product. Then the consumer can decide whether it suits their needs at the time or not. This goes for iPads, refrigerators, hammers, and million-dollar yachts. I'm truly sorry that the iPad and iPadOS doesn't do everything you insist it should -- but most people would not reasonably conclude your disappointment warrants a lawsuit. Would you sue Stanley because you bought a hammer isn't a screwdriver too?

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
This is one of those times when I read the first few posts and then chime-in on like Page #20. Don't judge me.

It's not up to the consumer to dictate product demands to the manufacturer. The manufacturer envisions the product, builds the product, then markets the product. Then the consumer can decide whether it suits their needs at the time or not. This goes for iPads, refrigerators, hammers, and million-dollar yachts. I'm truly sorry that the iPad and iPadOS doesn't do everything you insist it should -- but most people would not reasonably conclude your disappointment warrants a lawsuit. Would you sue Stanley because you bought a hammer isn't a screwdriver too?
That was the garbage approach that US automakers had in the 1960s that allowed the Japanese to make huge inroads and provide better customer satisfaction. Instead of doing what you describe, the Japanese surveyed customers and asked them what they wanted in a car, and then built that. Far better to determine what customers want and deliver that, than to work in isolation buried in the details of implementation, and assume whatever you cooked up can be sold as desirable.

Last edited:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
That was the garbage approach that US automakers had in the 1960s that allowed the Japanese to make huge inroads and provide better customer satisfaction. Instead of doing what you describe, the Japanese surveyed customers and asked them what they wanted in a car, and the built that. Far better to determine what customers want and deliver that, than to work in isolation buried in the details of implementation, and assume whatever you cooked up can be sold as desirable.
Maybe so but we’re talking about suing the company. In the US, one has the right to fail if one wishes. That right is much more important than getting the product we want.

But for the sake of argument, examples can also be made for great products that were not made by surveying the masses (as far as we know), such as the first car that replaced the horse, the iPod, and the iPhone.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
I have a 2020 12.9” iPad Pro. Apple has always limited the usability of the iPad’s software, not adding features that should’ve been added long ago. There’s no more excuses. It’s 2022 and we still don’t have: proper external monitor support, proper multitasking with more windows, full pro apps (not the half assed apps we always get on the App Store and first party apps like iMovie, real apps like Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, Lightroom Classic, real Photoshop, Pixelmator Pro, Xcode, Compressor, you get the idea), a weather app, a calculator app, optimized battery charging, external camera support, proper file management (like being able to format, fix or otherwise edit external drives, transferring files at the full capable speed USB-C and Thunderbolt on newer iPads should deliver, etc) and a whole bunch of other stuff the iPad needs. I’m not asking to put macOS on the iPad, just fix the software. I got my hopes up for iPadOS 15, but that turned out to be not only a massive disappointment, I consider it to be the worst update ever. Apple has clearly said no to merging the Mac and iPad operating systems, and has always advocated for keeping the iPad and Mac separate according to how they wish it to be, and considering that and all those awful lackluster iPadOS updates, I don’t think they will ever release the iPad from its software prison. The iPad is just as expensive as a decent laptop and it’s far more powerful than most laptops in its price range. Just give us the software it deserves. I have a feeling iPadOS 16 will be even worse than 15. In that case, someone needs to file a class action lawsuit against Apple and the iPad (especially the iPad Pro) should be boycotted until Apple overhauls the software (if they ever do, which they probably never will)
For *** sake, OP.
No offence but im assuming you are from America, the land of frivolous litigation....

You purchased the iPad knowing its capabilities.

Its nice to get functional updates - and thankfully with Apple we know to expect them yearly AND they will be backwards compatible with older machines of at least 3 years - this is great and to be applauded.

If there is a specific piece of software you require that doesnt yet have an iPad version.. then dont buy the iPad - it was never promised when you made your original purchase - nothing is.

You need to appreciate that although Apple has made some inroads in the last few years with keyboard and mouse support etc... and they may well go further perhaps with decent external display support in iOS16 (maybe) - they must always differentiate the iPad experience and use case to the MacBook.

People seem to be expecting that the 2 products are either / or but they aren't. They are distinctly different and Apple will always keep it that way.

If you want MacOS capabilities then buy a Mac for goodness sake. Dont buy and iPad and start bleating about it not being as good as a MacBook when its aimed at different users.

I quite agree that the M1 chip now found in the iPad air, and iPad pro is a bit too over-powered for the current version of iPadOS and that we were expecting iPadOS 15 to be much more than it tuned out to be... maybe iPadOS 16 will redress that who knows.

But, now and forever the iPad and its OS will continue to differentiate from the Mac - if thats in ways you dont like then dont buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.