Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tundra12

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2014
Hi Guys,

When using your qi charger with the iPhone 8 does it auto shut of charging when the battery is 100% charged? I bought one from amazon and it still continues charging even when full. I then tested with my Samsung S7 Edge and when it's fully charge it shuts off.

Is that a function of the phone or the specific qi charger design? Anybody have one of the listed ones on Apple website like Mophie or Belkin Boost Up does it behave like this?

Thanks.

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Managed to order Anker 10W wireless charger from Amazon (1 showed up in stock in the morning).

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/PowerPort-Wireless-10/A2512011

Is there a chance all other chargers besides Belkin and Mophie will be able to do 7.5W charging for iPhones? I don’t get what is so special technically with regards to Belkin/Mophie...

P.S. Any idea if it is ok to charge an iPhone wirelesy in a wool sleevee? :)

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Hi Guys,

When using your qi charger with the iPhone 8 does it auto shut of charging when the battery is 100% charged? I bought one from amazon and it still continues charging even when full. I then tested with my Samsung S7 Edge and when it's fully charge it shuts off.

Is that a function of the phone or the specific qi charger design? Anybody have one of the listed ones on Apple website like Mophie or Belkin Boost Up does it behave like this?

Thanks.
im curious about this to. the samsung wireless charger still shows the bolt in my battery, but its at 100%. I think iphone is smart enough to turn off to not overcharge tho.

Reactions: AppleDior31

MjWoNeR

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Sweden
I got the IKEA Rällen charger, built it into a IKEA 365+ coaster. Result: a great looking Qi-charger, made from cork. And it has cost me a wonderful € 16,50. Sure, no 'fast' charging, but I charge my phone at night, so that's not a problem. I'll post pictures when I'm at home. And to add to that: I'm not gonna spend €50+ on a mophie or belkin charger that does exactly the same, albeit a bit faster.

I was planning to get the Ravpower one, but I'm having thoughts about the IKEA Rällen. I could DYI it into my current bedside table for a super slick result that's 1/3 of the price.

6f44cca488f403b973160230feffb9dc.jpg

Does anyone know a wireless charger than can charge both the Series 3 AW and the iPhone X? I don't wanna wait for the overpriced Apple charger

IKEA's charger can charge 3 devices I think.
0949600d81cecdfa64b0485a15e6a4b2.jpg

Last edited:

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
l gave into buying the Anker PowerPort Qi 10W wireless charging pad for $14.59 and also the Anker PowerPort Speed 4 for $17.99 to complement the QC 3.0 requirement (and extra USB ports at the same time). Both were on sale during Black Friday and have finally arrived at my doorstep. It felt like a good bargain to test out wireless charging.

The charging pad is the perfect size for my iPhone X. The pictures online made it larger than it really was. Initial charging seems fast when paired with QC 3.0 (I’m gaining % at a pretty good rate while on the phone) vs traditional 5V/2A. However, I need to conduct more tests after just installing 11.2 pb5 yesterday.

I can’t seem to find Anker devices in this list ‘QI certified’: https://www.wirelesspowerconsortium.com/products/search?sort=brand_name&direction=asc
...or is this list unimportant/does not mean anything?
I’m not sure how accurate it is given the fact that the iPhone X and Mophie wireless charging pad is missing on the list.

Last edited:

powerocool

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Managed to order Anker 10W wireless charger from Amazon (1 showed up in stock in the morning).

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/PowerPort-Wireless-10/A2512011

Is there a chance all other chargers besides Belkin and Mophie will be able to do 7.5W charging for iPhones? I don’t get what is so special technically with regards to Belkin/Mophie...

P.S. Any idea if it is ok to charge an iPhone wirelesy in a wool sleevee? :)

I got this one too, once in a while 1 will show up :)
It will do 7.5W if you use a 10W or 12W power adapter.
I like it because it supports up to 10W fast charge, the light can be turned off, USB-C port.

Reactions: Susurs

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
What’s cheapest and most reputable wireless one? So many knock off on amazon.

Also do they really need to be certified?

cydeweyz

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
Bay Area, CA
What’s cheapest and most reputable wireless one? So many knock off on amazon.

Also do they really need to be certified?

Not really knockoffs. From the pictures and descriptions, many are made by one manufacturer, then resellers slap their name on and price it. The two I bought ranged from $16 to more than $25. I got two different $16 no brand named Qi stands with Prime shipping in case they were crap. I only planned on keeping one but when I saw the quality I decided to keep both. No problems at all in the few weeks I’ve used them.

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I got this one too, once in a while 1 will show up :)
It will do 7.5W if you use a 10W or 12W power adapter.
I like it because it supports up to 10W fast charge, the light can be turned off, USB-C port.

Do you, perhaps, have some comparative tests or info on charging speed with 5W/7.5W with this device?

P.S. Does the device’s led behaves like it is written in the manual - blinks during charge/becomes solid after the battery is full.

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
What really confuses me:

Here are the internal pictures of the Anker A2512 (10W wireless charger)....
https://fccid.io/2AB7K-A2512

Enclosed to this message is a third picture as well - which is from some kind of an inexpensive Baseus wireless charger (China). The picture comes from the e-bay.

Specifications for the both chargers are more or less the same - 10W - both support 5V/9V. Both are USB-C and so called ‘fast chargers’.

When it comes to the pictures - it really surprises me that the Anker has almost no electronics in it... as far as I get it... China product on the other side is loaded with micro chips... What kind of sorcery is it? :) I definitely thought that a brand device like Anker would have more internals than the ‘China product’...

I bought that Baseus charger - it seems well built, charges good. No overheating, no issues so far ....

Attachments

• 73576371-7BFA-4549-B869-BDE5D1C637E1.png
    73576371-7BFA-4549-B869-BDE5D1C637E1.png
    867.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 7FDD5A87-7F6D-483E-B9D6-A6793BFBB8B6.png
    7FDD5A87-7F6D-483E-B9D6-A6793BFBB8B6.png
    904.9 KB · Views: 218
  • 0CBD143B-E48F-41D8-AD5A-708804614D36.png
    0CBD143B-E48F-41D8-AD5A-708804614D36.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 215

powerocool

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
What really confuses me:

Here are the internal pictures of the Anker A2512 (10W wireless charger)....
https://fccid.io/2AB7K-A2512

Enclosed to this message is a third picture as well - which is from some kind of an inexpensive Baseus wireless charger (China). The picture comes from the e-bay.

Specifications for the both chargers are more or less the same - 10W - both support 5V/9V. Both are USB-C and so called ‘fast chargers’.

When it comes to the pictures - it really surprises me that the Anker has almost no electronics in it... as far as I get it... China product on the other side is loaded with micro chips... What kind of sorcery is it? :) I definitely thought that a brand device like Anker would have more internals than the ‘China product’...

I bought that Baseus charger - it seems well built, charges good. No overheating, no issues so far ....

Baseus is a good reputable Chinese company making good products.
Anker is also a company founded by a Chinese in Shenzhen making good products, so it's technically another Chinese company, making "good China products".
Apple and many other great companies make good products in china.
More or less chips doesn't necessarily mean a product is good or bad.
The picture of Baseus charger is a render, it might not look the same if you open it up, who knows.
[doublepost=1512037371][/doublepost]
Do you, perhaps, have some comparative tests or info on charging speed with 5W/7.5W with this device?

P.S. Does the device’s led behaves like it is written in the manual - blinks during charge/becomes solid after the battery is full.

I haven't tested these yet. I can take a look. It'd be cool if it becomes solid after battery is full!

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Thanks! It would be great if you could run some tests. I'm most interested in the % charged with 5W/7.5W per 10 minutes when iPhone battery is under 50%.

I tired to connect my wireless Baseus Charger to PC USB port which means 5V/0.5A input only. It charged 5% in 10 minutes. Attached the charger to a 5V/2A adapter - same 5%. Attached it to the QC3.0 adapter (and tested that some random Samsung phone reports fast charging available (9V)) - still the same 5% on the iPhone X in 10 minutes on iOS11.2... Seems strange...

P.S. Baseus finally updated their homepage and the product i purchased shows up now:
http://www.baseus.com/index.php/product-145 It has FCC logo on the back, but I am not able to find it in the database however.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Not really knockoffs. From the pictures and descriptions, many are made by one manufacturer, then resellers slap their name on and price it. The two I bought ranged from $16 to more than $25. I got two different $16 no brand named Qi stands with Prime shipping in case they were crap. I only planned on keeping one but when I saw the quality I decided to keep both. No problems at all in the few weeks I’ve used them.
The horror stories of them melting makes me worried. I guess just wanted a cheap reputable one.

cydeweyz

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
Bay Area, CA
The horror stories of them melting makes me worried. I guess just wanted a cheap reputable one.

I have not seen multiple stories. I saw one story with no context. I have seen several iPhone 8 stories of swelling batteries. There can be defective products. Amazon probably would not allow sales of electronics with a track record of melting down, and selling under with a Prime guarantee, it’s even less likely they’d back a defective product.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
I have not seen multiple stories. I saw one story with no context. I have seen several iPhone 8 stories of swelling batteries. There can be defective products. Amazon probably would not allow sales of electronics with a track record of melting down, and selling under with a Prime guarantee, it’s even less likely they’d back a defective product.
I’m talking about the wireless charger melting or catching fire.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Currently testing my Anker wireless charger setup for signs of 7.5W compatibility with my iPhone X. Drained it to 5% and then charging 20min on the QC 3.0 port, then another 20min on the normal 5V/2A port to see if there’s any difference. Kind of frustrating that I have to find this out myself now that I’m in public beta since there’s little transparency on devices (besides mophie and Belkin) compatible with Apple’s 7.5W speed.

20min on the Anker QC 3.0 port: 5-16% (~11% gain)
20min on the Anker 5V/2A port: 15-27% (~12% gain)

Last edited:

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
Currently testing my Anker wireless charger setup for signs of 7.5W compatibility with my iPhone X. Drained it to 5% and then charging 20min on the QC 3.0 port, then another 20min on the normal 5V/2A port to see if there’s any difference. Kind of frustrating that I have to find out myself now that I’m in public beta.

20min on the Anker QC 3.0 port: 10-11% gain
20min on the Anker 5V/2A port: TBD

which Anker charger do you have? this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Wirele...pons&keywords=anker+qi+wireless+charger&psc=1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.