Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Nice, I have this one too. Curious to see your final results.
Me too. However, seeing that Susurs came up with 5% in 10min might be a sign of $33 of equipment to return.

Update: 20min on the 5V/2A port got me 12%... looks like I’ll be returning this one if mophie outperforms on this front. Or maybe just stick to cable with 5V/2A chargers.

USB-C fast charging is tempting but I’m not ready to switch just yet, as I’m holding out for a better MBP USB, better wall chargers, and especially when USB-C 3.2 is on the horizon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Susurs

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
Me too. However seeing that Susurs came up with 5% in 10min might be a sign of $33 of equipment to return.

Update: 20min on the 5V/2A port got me 12%... looks like I’ll be returning this one if mophie outperforms on this front. Or maybe just stick to cable with 5V/2A chargers. Fast charging with USB-C is tempting but I’m not ready to switch so soon, especially when USB-C 3.2 is on the horizon.

I'll try to run the same test with the mophie this weekend when I get out to my house.

powerocool

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Thanks! It would be great if you could run some tests. I'm most interested in the % charged with 5W/7.5W per 10 minutes when iPhone battery is under 50%.

I tired to connect my wireless Baseus Charger to PC USB port which means 5V/0.5A input only. It charged 5% in 10 minutes. Attached the charger to a 5V/2A adapter - same 5%. Attached it to the QC3.0 adapter (and tested that some random Samsung phone reports fast charging available (9V)) - still the same 5% on the iPhone X in 10 minutes on iOS11.2... Seems strange...

P.S. Baseus finally updated their homepage and the product i purchased shows up now:
http://www.baseus.com/index.php/product-145 It has FCC logo on the back, but I am not able to find it in the database however.

That was the one I wanted to get too. I'll do some testing on the Anker. I even have a USB voltage meter I can use.

Reactions: Susurs and scott523

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I'll try to run the same test with the mophie this weekend when I get out to my house.

Looking forward to see a comparison with Mophie.
[doublepost=1512075949][/doublepost]I don’t really get how a PC USB port which outputs only 0.5A to a charger (and the output of a charger is even lower) can get the same 5% in 10 minutes as QC3.0 adapter which supplies 5V/2A or 9V/1.67A to the charger...

5V/0.5A would mean 2.5W....

cydeweyz

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
Bay Area, CA
I’m talking about the wireless charger melting or catching fire.

Correct. We are on the same subject. Amazon Prime would not ship or be affiliated with products that had a history of melting or catching fire. That doesn’t mean they won’t, but the charging protections mentioned and the power supplies I’m using will most likely prevent that.

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
That was the one I wanted to get too. I'll do some testing on the Anker. I even have a USB voltage meter I can use.

I ordered USB multimeter as well...but it will probably ‘travel’ from China for some few weeks more...

Par Avion

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2009
Has anyone tried the NORDMÄRKE from Ikea?
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80289790/
I really don't care too much about the speed as I'm going to be using this for overnight charging.

Can anyone comment on how bright the Samsung Qi charger's light is when charging?

I got the IKEA Nordmarke yesterday and I love it’s “furniture” design, long power cable and overall look and feel. It charged faster than expected.

It has a white LED indicator that is supposed to turn off after your phone is 100% charged, but my unit doesn’t do this. The light stays on even after my iPhone X is fully charged. Does anyone else have this issue?

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
I got the IKEA Nordmarke yesterday and I love it’s “furniture” design, long power cable and overall look and feel. It charged faster than expected.

It has a white LED indicator that is supposed to turn off after your phone is 100% charged, but my unit doesn’t do this. The light stays on even after my iPhone X is fully charged. Does anyone else have this issue?
I feel none of the chargers light turn off with the iPhone. Idk why.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
I feel none of the chargers light turn off with the iPhone. Idk why.

The Anker light turns off 5 seconds after it starts charging, it just flashes a few times to let you know charging started successfully, then it turns off

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Anyone know if there's any difference in using a 10W or 12W iPad charger with the Anker Qi 10W charger? if the max we are going to get with ios 11.2 is 7.5W, probably no difference right?

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2014

Thanks for the reply! Can you please tell me if the iPhone is stable on the charger or if it moves around? How bad is the light, I plan on using it during the night and I'm pretty sensitive to light at night. Thanks! Oh, and does it get hot while charing, the base or the iPhone. Thanks!

Par Avion

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2009
Thanks for the reply! Can you please tell me if the iPhone is stable on the charger or if it moves around? How bad is the light, I plan on using it during the night and I'm pretty sensitive to light at night. Thanks! Oh, and does it get hot while charing, the base or the iPhone. Thanks!

It’s stable in the pad and I’m using it without a case. The light is not bad and your phone will actually cover it up but according to the manual it’s supposed to turn off after a full charge, but it’s not.

Phone and base do not get hot but if you put your ear to the base it emits a little high pitched sound, even if there’s no phone charging on it.

Thinking of taking it back unfortunately and cough up the $60 for the Belkin.

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2014
It’s stable in the pad and I’m using it without a case. The light is not bad and your phone will actually cover it up but according to the manual it’s supposed to turn off after a full charge, but it’s not.

Phone and base do not get hot but if you put your ear to the base it emits a little high pitched sound, even if there’s no phone charging on it.

Thinking of taking it back unfortunately and cough up the $60 for the Belkin.
I'm surprised you're thinking of taking it back considering your previous comments?

Par Avion

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2009
I'm surprised you're thinking of taking it back considering your previous comments?

It’s beautiful and functional but not perfect....maybe I have a defective unit.
I would say try it rather than “pass”

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
thinking of picking up one of the samsung fast chargers. either the stand or the puck. The puck (blue and gray/black) is only $25 and includes everything. The stand is $40. I'm leaning more towards the stand. for use on my desk or nightstand. Also the stand has a smaller LED light.

If apple somehow magically only allows the mophie and belkin to "fast charge" with the update. How much faster is 5W vs 7W realistically. Especially if i'm saving a few bills

thoughts?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...g930tsugus_fast_charge_wireless_charging.html
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...p_pn920tcegus_fast_wireless_charging_pad.html

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Tested Anker 10, with iPhone X, here's the results:

Using MacBook Pro USB-C port (should be 12W).

10 mins of charge, 5% from 35%-40%.

iOS 11.2 beta 6.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N06CHQ0/ref=sr_1_10?camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B01N06CHQ0&ie=UTF8&keywords=iPhone 6 Charger&kwr_id=986&linkCode=as2&qid=1512164781&sr=1-10&tag=ianker-20

5% in 10min ... that seems to be the same number again...I really hoped it would increase at least a bit...oh well

Just for interest: is it 5V via USB-C?
Just trying to understand power output of USB ... found this: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_from_a_usb_port

Last edited:

powerocool

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Just trying to understand power output of USB ... found this: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_from_a_usb_port

I'm going to run another test with the Samsung Adaptive fast charging adapter 9V 1.67A (15W) / 5V 2A (10W).

I don't have a 12W iPad adapter and my USB multimeter at the moment. I'll test these combo later.
[doublepost=1512167549][/doublepost]
5% in 10min ... that seems to be the same number again...I really hoped it would increase at least a bit...oh well

The reason I believe it was 12W because Coconut battery reports 12W. But it's a software so I could be wrong.

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I'm going to run another test with the Samsung Adaptive fast charging adapter 9V 1.67A (15W) / 5V 2A (10W).

I don't have a 12W iPad adapter and my USB multimeter at the moment. I'll test these combo later.
[doublepost=1512167549][/doublepost]

The reason I believe it was 12W because Coconut battery reports 12W. But it's a software so I could be wrong.

P.S. Your multimeter is Type A, right?

davidcmc

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009

Samsung Convertible Wireless Charger outputs 9W (9V x 1A), not 15W (9V x 1,67A).

15W is the amount it draws from the power outlet. The wireless charging coil outputs 9V x 1A.

Reactions: powerocool
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.