Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mujtaba.mir

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2014
1. not sure if that’s been totally decided upon yet

2. I use a 10w iPad wall adaptor

3. light only stays in a couple of seconds when you first put your phone down

4. haven’t noticed that it gets very warm

Edit: Apologies. my post was relating to the anker 10W Qi charger. i now see you linked to the 5w model.
Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, this is the 5W model. Does your 10W support fast charging?

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
c663f33039c55566d07c3881b43e29ac.jpg

Looks like Anker 10W charged at 5W.

Using 12W iPad charger. Might need a different AC adapter.

The output of the (this and probably a lot of others) wireless charger is either 5V/1A or 9V/1.1A - therefore you cannot get anything higher than 5W with an iPad 12W charger which uses 5V. Only 9V/1.1A could go higher.

The adapter itself can output 5.2V/2.4A (~12W) or something...but the charger will accept input of 5V/2A and output 5V/1A=5W.

QC2.0, 3.0 adapters support both voltages.

P.S. Update - output of the charger is 5V/1A, input from adapter is 2A... why does the multimeter shows 1A where it is between the adapter and input to the charger - I don’t know :) In any case, as I said, I believe on 5V can not result in output more than 5W on this charger.

...Hope I did not wrote a mistake :)

[doublepost=1512306973][/doublepost]
Do you need a special USB power adapter to get fast charging, or would any with at least 7.5W work (like Apple's 12W iPad charger)?

As I understand it, iPad charger will not be able to do it. Somebody correct me if I made a mistake.
[doublepost=1512307166][/doublepost]
After 2 days of causal research and reading all 29 pages here ( :p ), I went with the Mophie from Apple.

I narrowed it down to either the Mophie or the RavPower. Although the RavPower is smaller overall, the Mophie appeared thinner which was more important to me. I didn't care if it was wide, I just wanted it thin. I watched a few YouTube videos and noticed that in some RavPower videos the YouTuber had to adjust the phone to get it to link with the RavPower, I never saw that issue with Mophie.

Overall, I'm happy. I was immediately impressed when I took it out of the box because it was quite hefty and a had a solid feel. It seem very high quality with a good length cable similar the the Apple HDMI cords.

I know you have to be carful with the way you place the device, but I haven't misaligned it once. I tend to be a bit funny about how I place my device anyway (e.g. if I set it on a table I always place it parallel to the edge so it's straight). I naturally place it centered on the puck. If you just tossed it on you would have trouble I suppose.

Could you, please do some testing and tell how many % can Mophie charge per 10 minutes when battery is under 50%?

Last edited:
Reactions: PedCrossing

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here

Could you, please do some testing and tell how many % can Mophie charge per 10 minutes when battery is under 50%?[/QUOTE]

It will be later this evening, but I’ll let you know.

I got my Mophie the day iOS 11.2 came out so I can’t compare but most tech sites found no difference on the beta.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008

Could you, please do some testing and tell how many % can Mophie charge per 10 minutes when battery is under 50%?

It will be later this evening, but I’ll let you know.

I got my Mophie the day iOS 11.2 came out so I can’t compare but most tech sites found no difference on the beta.[/QUOTE]
So it’s false advertising. Also my charger is 9V. So it should do 7.5 watts

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2011
My ravpower light still flashes orange so I don't think apple activated fast charge on third party ones. BS

mujtaba.mir

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2014
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerP...1512248138&sr=1-5&keywords=PowerPort+Wireless

Not really an expert on wireless charging so need some honest opinions on this one if anybody has used it. I know Anker makes great products and I use a few personally as well but just want to be clear before I buy a couple.
1. This one won't support fast charging.
2. Which wall adapter can I use? The one that comes with Apple? The wireless pad doesn't come with the adapter.
3. Does the light go off once charging is complete?
4. Does the pad heat up itself and the phone?

I plan on buying a couple. One for my nightstand and one for work. So fast charging isn't really a deal breaker for me.
Anybody that can help?

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
This is incorrect, just tested my cheap Amazon Qi stand, and got 7.5w with the 11.2 update. Only got 5w prior to the update.

Can anyone please corroborate this?? Everyone’s non mophie or non Belkin wireless chargers are about to be much less worth their cost of Apple truly locked down the fast charging to their Authorized chargers.

Reactions: michael31986

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
I got the anker 10w that everyone got here and i only got 10% in 30 minutes (75%-80%). i had an apple silicone case on it and it was plugged into an anker high wattage 4 port usb wall brick.

do you guys think it's slow because of the case?

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The output of the (this and probably a lot of others) wireless charger is either 5V/1A or 9V/1.1A - therefore you cannot get anything higher than 5W with an iPad 12W charger which uses 5V. Only 9V/1.1A could go higher.

The adapter itself can output 5.2V/2.4A (~12W) or something...but the charger will accept input of 5V/2A and output 5V/1A=5W.

QC2.0, 3.0 adapters support both voltages.

P.S. Update - output of the charger is 5V/1A, input from adapter is 2A... why does the multimeter shows 1A where it is between the adapter and input to the charger - I don’t know :) In any case, as I said, I believe on 5V can not result in output more than 5W on this charger.

...Hope I did not wrote a mistake :)

[doublepost=1512306973][/doublepost]

As I understand it, iPad charger will not be able to do it. Somebody correct me if I made a mistake.

Okay, so I did some informal tests. I ran my iPhone 8 down to 8% power and then turned on Airplane mode.

Originally, wireless chargers were supposed to charge at 5w just like the included charger so I did two 10 minute bouts with the included brick and two 10 minute bouts with the Mophie pad which is supposed to charge at 7.5w. Here were the results.

1. 1st 10 minutes - 5W Power Brick: 8% to 18% = 10%
  2. 2nd 10 minutes - 5W Power Brick: 18% to 28% = 10%
  3. 3rd 10 minutes - Mophie: = 28% to 38% = 10%
  4. 4th 10 minutes - Mophie: = 38% to 45% = 7%

So, based on my quick test there was no gain from using the wireless charger and even an odd decrease in the second set. Perhaps the 7.5w charging was removed since 11.2 was released so quickly? I was surprised to see an even 1% per minute for the first 3 tests.

Reactions: davidcmc

kthnxshwn

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Fast charging is either closed off or not activated by Apple or companies are lying to push units - something.

None of RAVPower's products that are labeled as supporting or doing fast charging actually do. They are still locked at 5W. Not even Samsung's Fast Charging pads and stands work with fast charging for iOS.

The only pads or chargers I have that actually support fast charging are the Belkin Boost pad and then Mophie's wireless pad. If you have the RAVPower and are desperate for fast charging, you can do a return easily through Amazon and spend the extra $10 to get a mophie charger. I've never been a diehard fan of mophie's products, but at the very least they've never claimed something they didn't know and nver continued to lie after realizing a fault in their wording.

In short, only mophie and Belkin support fast charging as of now. Nothing RP or any other company has out that claims to support fast charging for iOS actually does.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
In short, only mophie and Belkin support fast charging as of now. Nothing RP or any other company has out that claims to support fast charging for iOS actually does.

But if you see my above post, my Mophie FROM Apple is charger no faster (maybe even slightly slower) then the phone's included charger.

And if you google it you'll see other sites did tests through the beta and found little or no difference. I think Apple pulled it.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
But if you see my above post, my Mophie FROM Apple is charger no faster (maybe even slightly slower) then the phone's included charger.

And if you google it you'll see other sites did tests through the beta and found little or no difference. I think Apple pulled it.
Wasn’t it on release notes tho?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Wasn’t it on release notes tho?

I thought so, but SOMETHING must be wrong. Don't get me wrong, I really don't care. If I need a fast charge I'll plug into my iPad charger. The wireless charing pad is for casual setting the phone down or overnight charing where 5w is adequate. I just find it funny that 7.5w was a selling point if it would make no difference.

Reactions: Cyroceon

solodogg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando

Attachments

• F286C472-41CD-4003-A475-947822BCC6E5.jpeg
    F286C472-41CD-4003-A475-947822BCC6E5.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 263

doodads

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
East BF, TN
Installed icarez screen protector, it’s perfectly align and no dust. However, I have a few little bubbles that didn’t make it out, so they go away after a while ? This is the first screen protector I installed and experience bubbles.

You posted in the wrong thread.

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I thought so, but SOMETHING must be wrong. Don't get me wrong, I really don't care. If I need a fast charge I'll plug into my iPad charger. The wireless charing pad is for casual setting the phone down or overnight charing where 5w is adequate. I just find it funny that 7.5w was a selling point if it would make no difference.

And even more importantly, does this mean that every non-Apple authorized wireless charger is basically a 5w, at best? In that case, everyone who wants a fast charger ought to all run out and get Mophies and Belkins.

Last edited:

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
Should we only use MFi certified wireless chargers?

There will not likely be any MFi certified wireless chargers, because Apple has signed onto the Qi wireless charging consortium, which means they'll accept Qi standards. That being said, Apple did make a point to say that they would bring their own wireless charging knowledge to Qi, improving things for everyone wherever they can, so we might see more Apple branded wireless charging devices beyond the AirPower mat.

Reactions: Mac7

kthnxshwn

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010

I got into the office this morning and did some more tests with a solid base. I'm using RAVPower's included cable and 24W charging block and Mophie's proprietary charger.

RAVPower after ten minutes got me from 56% to 67%. Screen was off, checked time via a sepratae timer.

Mophie after ten minutes from a different outlet got me from 43% to 59%.

I'm not sure what may be wrong with your charger(s) or outlets or whatever it may be, but I do know that Mophie supports fast charging.

Reactions: Cyroceon and Susurs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.