Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
I have the Samsung Wireless Charging Stand (Fast Charge) and the Mophie Wireless Charging Base. Here are the results of a 10-minute test with my iPhone X.

Samsung: 34% to 39% in 10 minutes.
Mophie: 37% to 44% in 10 minutes.
So basically not a huge difference.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
cb5018b0744a0b02a5cae579f692fb3a.jpg

This concludes my testing.

Anker 10W charger will charge iPhone X at 5W, never 7.5W.

11.2 final. Under 50% charge. Both 5V and 9V chargers.
Have you checked that against the CoconutBattery Plus app, so see if Coconut is accurate or not?

Tested one of mine with it that's supposed to support 7.5W output and it maxed out at 3.64W (let my X drop down to 57% battery left for the test).
ChoeTech T513 (which they state doesn't support fast charging....but they've also put out multiple revisions with different specs without changing the model number) :)

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
Have you checked that against the CoconutBattery Plus app, so see if Coconut is accurate or not?

Tested one of mine with it that's supposed to support 7.5W output and it maxed out at 3.64W (let my X drop down to 57% battery left for the test).
ChoeTech T513 (which they state doesn't support fast charging....but they've also put out multiple revisions with different specs without changing the model number) :)

Interesting results. I would bet that what you were seeing with the 3.64w output was in part because of the loss that is inherent to inductive charging. There are just so many factors that can effect the charging speed, I think we all need to recognize that it's not going to provide any kind of fast charging - certainly not compared to wired charging.

Reactions: ImBuz

3square

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2014
i hope apple adds an icon to differentiate whether you are fast-charging VS standard-charging. All this what-if is ridiculous.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
The more I read on these the more I'm thinking of just buying the cheaper 5w chargers for overnight. I really wanted faster charging but it seems very hit or miss so far. Could the thickness of your case be playing a role in how fast it charges?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
The more I read on these the more I'm thinking of just buying the cheaper 5w chargers for overnight. I really wanted faster charging but it seems very hit or miss so far. Could the thickness of your case be playing a role in how fast it charges?
The thickness of the case and the material its made from could impact the efficiency (therefore speed) of your wireless charging. It'll be important to make sure that the cases are designed for iPhone 8/8+/X. You really want to avoid anything which would block electromagnetic waves (such as metals). Distance that the charger will still charge is really dependent on each model/manufacturer, but generally a greater distance, the more likely a diminished energy level.

One caveat though - if you go review the teardown videos for the 8/8+/X, you can see where the Qi charging coil is....if you want to have a case with metal in it (for magnetic mounts) - you need to ensure the metal is outside of the area that the coil occupies, so it doesn't block the signal.

Reactions: Ladybug

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
The thickness of the case and the material its made from could impact the efficiency (therefore speed) of your wireless charging. It'll be important to make sure that the cases are designed for iPhone 8/8+/X. You really want to avoid anything which would block electromagnetic waves (such as metals). Distance that the charger will still charge is really dependent on each model/manufacturer, but generally a greater distance, the more likely a diminished energy level.

One caveat though - if you go review the teardown videos for the 8/8+/X, you can see where the Qi charging coil is....if you want to have a case with metal in it (for magnetic mounts) - you need to ensure the metal is outside of the area that the coil occupies, so it doesn't block the signal.

Thanks for the info. At current I am using a Speck Presidio Grip case, no metal. The description says it is qi wireless charger compatible. Perhaps I will try a fast wireless charger and see how it goes. Again much appreciated.

esaelias

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2016
i have the ugreen one it is made of glass and looks so cool and works same speed like the apples mphie one

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
i have the ugreen one it is made of glass and looks so cool and works same speed like the apples mphie one

You’re not getting the 7.5W that you would get with the belkin or mophie, but the difference is very small

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I'm on 11.2 and just purchased Coconutbattery Plus. Right now my iPhone X (no case) is charging on my Anker Qi 10W charger (via 12W iPad adaptor) and coconut battery is telling me it's charging at 3.3 watts (started at 50% charge).

Is this normal? This seems pretty low. It does take forever to charge my phone with the Anker

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
I'm on 11.2 and just purchased Coconutbattery Plus. Right now my iPhone X (no case) is charging on my Anker Qi 10W charger (via 12W iPad adaptor) and coconut battery is telling me it's charging at 3.3 watts (started at 50% charge).

Is this normal? This seems pretty low. It does take forever to charge my phone with the Anker
It is low. If you click on "Device details..." with being connected, it'll tell how your iPhone X is accepting the wireless charger, which in my case, was just a "6 watt adapter," which actual charge rates were less than 5W due to a number of variables.

I was thinking about keeping the wireless charger while returning the QC 3.0 charger but since Amazon is charging me $6-7 to return the QC3.0 charger, I'm better off returning both and sticking to the 12W chargers. It's tempting to buy Anker's USB-C PD chargers/power banks but I think they're due for an update. Hopefully by this upcoming Summer, I'll be gradually moving to Anker's newer USB-C PD products. They've been using battery cells similar to what Tesla uses (18650) and I'm wondering if they'll upgrade with Tesla to the 20700/21700 cells for a boost in capacity.

aloha50

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
Thanks for the reply! Can you please tell me if the iPhone is stable on the charger or if it moves around? How bad is the light, I plan on using it during the night and I'm pretty sensitive to light at night. Thanks! Oh, and does it get hot while charing, the base or the iPhone. Thanks!

I have used mine for a couple of weeks and the light is not noticeible, your phone hides it. I had some concerns with the light but no issue at all. another person mention a sound but I have not heared anything. I quiet and very stable. I would recommond this..

Reactions: nmeed

geekdll

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2017
397367a90fb06a9af208121c1df7f009.jpg

Looks like Anker 10W with Samsung adaptive charger. Is still pulling at 5W.

*I'll run the battery down under 50% and test again. This is at about 80% charged.

The only real way to test for fast charge to have the phone battery under 50%. I believe the iphone X only uses fast charge to get them to 50% after that I dont think they will go up to 7.5w at all

Reactions: cydeweyz

leftofsouth

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2008
I’m wondering about this too and Belkin belkin could not tell me.

Regarding the Belkin Boost Up, is there any confirmation that the silver model supports 7.5W like the white version? The box on the silver one has a Samsung label on it and doesn’t mention anything about the iPhone.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...charging-pad-f7u014dqslv-silver/10737645.aspx

vs

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/belkin-boost-up-wireless-charging-pad-white/11798528.aspx

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Came in the mail yesterday...

NO Ox Qi Power Bank

It's not Fast Charger but not a deal breaker for me. The selling point is that it is also a Power Bank.

Word of advice, make sure it's a power bank that says it can charge at least an iPhone 8. I purchased a similar looking wireless power bank but it would not charge my iPhone X.

51wWBsfZ1rL._SL1000_.jpg

619l0NOSbZL._SL1000_.jpg

61Z4tmrASGL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: cydeweyz

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Wondering if anyone has any experience with the Seneo brand on Amazon, and which one is working for 7.5 W charging

Came in the mail yesterday...

NO Ox Qi Power Bank

It's not Fast Charger but not a deal breaker for me. The selling point is that it is also a Power Bank.

Word of advice, make sure it's a power bank that says it can charge at least an iPhone 8. I purchased a similar looking wireless power bank but it would not charge my iPhone X.

51wWBsfZ1rL._SL1000_.jpg

619l0NOSbZL._SL1000_.jpg

61Z4tmrASGL._SL1000_.jpg

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Wondering if anyone has any experience with the Seneo brand on Amazon, and which one is working for 7.5 W charging

None of the chargers that are not sold at/by Apple (mophie and Belkin) charge at 7.5W. Apple has applied some proprietary restriction, even in iOS 11.2, on fast wireless charging. This has been tested and verified 100%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.